Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

ablelocks wrote: »

what about binary maths

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

ablelocks wrote: »

It's mostly behind a paywall. But surely the correct answer in maths was never the ultimate goal. I seem to remember that you could still get marks for your workings even if the final answer was ultimately wrong. As it should be. I have zero idea what race has to do with that system though.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

quickbeam wrote: »
    It's mostly behind a paywall. But surely the correct answer in maths was never the ultimate goal. I seem to remember that you could still get marks for your workings even if the final answer was ultimately wrong. As it should be. I have zero idea what race has to do with that system though.

Well, no, getting the right answer would be the goal. You’d get some marks for any workings that were correct because it demonstrated at least some understanding but the hope would be to get ALL the workings - and therefore the answer - correct.

I tried to read the article to ascertain why it’s apparently racist to look for the right answer in maths but the energy drained out of me long before I could finish reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,333 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Grammar has already been shown to be racist!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Tomorrow when I get up, I need / want to spend money on certain essential and non essential things which I just fancy procuring.

- Food

- drinks

- gym bottoms

- table lamp

I will not spend any money on helping or people in other communities, racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

I think you'll find the correct answer is fairly important in those maths related domains they talk about. Maybe when planes come down on cities or a skyscraper collapses they'll spread equitable blame

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Cyclonius

Strumms wrote: »
    Tomorrow when I get up, I need / want to spend money on certain essential and non essential things which I just fancy procuring.

- Food

- drinks

- gym bottoms

- table lamp

I will not spend any money on helping or people in other communities, racist?
    Yes.

You monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Cyclonius wrote: »
    Yes.

You monster.

03f03ddba44b48345cfda2bd38382f46.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

tigerboon wrote: »
    I think you'll find the correct answer is fairly important in those maths related domains they talk about. Maybe when planes come down on cities or a skyscraper collapses they'll spread equitable blame

In those industries, of course, I absolutely agree. As mentioned I didn't read the full article as it was behind a paywall. I thought it was about maths in school or college. And in both of those places marks are still awarded for correct workings. Not top marks, of course, but marks nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

In those industries, of course, I absolutely agree. As mentioned I didn't read the full article as it was behind a paywall. I thought it was about maths in school or college. And in both of those places marks are still awarded for correct workings. Not top marks, of course, but marks nonetheless.

School and college is where we start teaching our future engineers, scientists, doctors etc. If the students maths aptitude is weak it’s best they get filtered away from courses where maths can mean the difference between life and death when that student goes on to their career. If one group are under performing in a subject maybe look at ways of teaching them in smaller groups at their own pace. Find a solution instead of calling out racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Well, no, getting the right answer would be the goal. You’d get some marks for any workings that were correct because it demonstrated at least some understanding but the hope would be to get ALL the workings - and therefore the answer - correct.

I tried to read the article to ascertain why it’s apparently racist to look for the right answer in maths but the energy drained out of me long before I could finish reading it.
    Exactly. Getting the correct answer while showing your workings should be the goal, with some marks for should you understood the concept.

You could argue that the whole premise that 'Maths is racist' is itself racist because it's assuming that blacks and Hispanics won't have the brainpower to get the final answer to get the correct answer so you shouldn't ask them in the first place. Obviously, they wouldn't phrase it that way openly...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the state of public discourse in the US, dude tries to race bait and fails

https://twitter.com/marclamonthill/status/1397522506198753280

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

I wonder which add is more attractive to young men .
    The US one will attract more men persons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

silverharp wrote: »
    the state of public discourse in the US, dude tries to race bait and fails

https://twitter.com/marclamonthill/status/1397522506198753280

That was a strange line of questioning alright.

Hate for people being white seems to be a very real thing these days. Sad really, but guess we will need a few years of it before people can move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Several of the biggest theatres in the UK have pledged to only cast trans actors in trans roles

The statement commits them to “never cast, or endorse a production that casts, a cisgender person in a trans, non-binary or gender non-conforming role”.
    The statement was triggered by a controversy last year when a cisgendered actor was cast as a trans character in Breakfast on Pluto in the West End. That decision led to Kate O’Donnell – a trans actor who was cast in the production – pulling out of the show,

Birmingham Rep (the original producers) confirmed the “only way” Breakfast on Pluto could return to the theatre would be “if the character of Patrick / Pussy were played by a trans actor”
    The statement also asks supporters to recognise that Black trans, non-binary and gender non-conforming people “face the toughest barriers due to anti-Black racism” and take into account other biases, such as colourism, when casting shows.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2021/may/26/uk-theatres-promise-to-only-cast-trans-actors-in-trans-roles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Purple is a Fruit

Several of the biggest theatres in the UK have pledged to only cast trans actors in trans roles

The statement commits them to “never cast, or endorse a production that casts, a cisgender person in a trans, non-binary or gender non-conforming role”.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2021/may/26/uk-theatres-promise-to-only-cast-trans-actors-in-trans-roles
    Seems completely fair to me.

Although the same folk championing this would be happy with a black actress being cast as Anne Boleyn.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Although the same folk championing this would be happy with a black actress being cast as Anne Boleyn.

They probably wouldn't be happy with a black actor playing Jesus. Everyone knows Jesus was white!
    Am I right? lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

hey boss can i go cry in the box for a bit?

'ok but its coming out of your lunch hour'

thanks boss

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1398067457659600898

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

So, do we need to get real paedophiles to play paedophiles on stage and on the big screen?

BattleCorp wrote: »
    So, do we need to get real paedophiles to play paedophiles on stage and on the big screen?

Wow that didnt take long!
    Drawing false equivalences and bringing pedophilia into the same conversation with trans.

Mod Snip - no need for the personal attacks

brownej wrote: »
    Wow that didnt take long!
    Drawing false equivalences and bringing pedophilia into the same conversation with trans.

Snip

You are missing my point and also trying to put words in my mouth. I'm not in any way linking being trans and being a paedophile. My point was about acting. So get down off your high horse.

My point is why does a trans role have to go to someone who is trans? Would another actor not be capable (and possibly more capable) of fulfilling the role better. What if the non-trans actor was a better actor for instance?

Here's an instance that has nothing to do with trans, just for your benefit. Supposing a part in a play or movie involves the person playing a murderer. Do we need a real murderer to play the role? I think not. So explain to me why we need a trans person to play a trans role in a play or movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭randd1

You are missing my point and also trying to put words in my mouth. I'm not in any way linking being trans and being a paedophile. My point was about acting. So get down off your high horse.

My point is why does a trans role have to go to someone who is trans? Would another actor not be capable (and possibly more capable) of fulfilling the role better. What if the non-trans actor was a better actor for instance?

Here's an instance that has nothing to do with trans, just for your benefit. Supposing a part in a play or movie involves the person playing a murderer. Do we need a real murderer to play the role? I think not. So explain to me why we need a trans person to play a trans role in a play or movie.

Someone pretending to be another person for the purposes of entertainment?

You'd swear there was a profession for that sort of thing.

This is classic anti LGBT straw man nonsense.
    Drawing false equivalences with the first place to go to for people like you when it comes to LGBT is pedophilia.
    Being trans is not equivalent to being a pedophile and not a murderer.

I standby what I said. Disgusting!

I will call out this sort of crap, when I see it. And its plain as day here.

This depends - are you saying that people are born murderers in the same way people are born male/female/black/white/trans/cis?

brownej wrote: »
    This is classic anti LGBT straw man nonsense.
    Drawing false equivalences with the first place to go to for people like you when it comes to LGBT is pedophilia.
    Being trans is not equivalent to being a pedophile and not a murderer.

I standby what I said. Disgusting!

I will call out this sort of crap, when I see it. And its plain as day here.

And the post I've quoted above is today's Woke-ism of the day. Pure nonsense from you.

You are calling out something that doesn't exist, except in your head.

I was talking about acting and you have turned it into an attack on LGTB and Trans people.

I'll put it another way, so that you can't possibly get offended, although who knows the way you are twisting what I said. We don't require American actors to play American roles so why do we need trans actors to play trans roles. Go ahead, give that an answer.

This depends - are you saying that people are born murderers in the same way people are born male/female/black/white/trans/cis?

I'm not saying anything much about trans people at all. The only mention of trans people in any of my last few posts is to say why should there be a requirement that trans roles are played by trans people. I haven't said anything whatsoever negative about trans people.

Using another analogy that might be less sensitive, should an Irish actor always play a role where the person is Irish? The answer to that is no.

So the natural progression from there is that if a character role is transgender, I don't see why it should necessarily be a transgender person playing the role. The role should go to the best actor, who may or may not be transgender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭randd1

I'm not saying anything much about trans people at all. The only mention of trans people in any of my last few posts is to say why should there be a requirement that trans roles are played by trans people. I haven't said anything whatsoever negative about trans people.

Using another analogy that might be less sensitive, should an Irish actor always play a role where the person is Irish? The answer to that is no.

So the natural progression from there is that if a character role is transgender, I don't see why it should necessarily be a transgender person playing the role. The role should go to the best actor, who may or may not be transgender.

Now now, basic common sense has no place where the possibility of being offended is in play.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement