Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,040 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

tigerboon wrote: »
    I think you'll find the correct answer is fairly important in those maths related domains they talk about. Maybe when planes come down on cities or a skyscraper collapses they'll spread equitable blame

The two halves of the Channel tunnel would not have met in the middle if we celebrate wrong answers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

BattleCorp wrote: »
    So, do we need to get real paedophiles to play paedophiles on stage and on the big screen?

I don't think that's a great example tbh.

A better one would be if non-trans roles could only be played by actors who are non-trans. Somehow I don't think that would go down too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Rothko wrote: »
    I don't think that's a great example tbh.

A better one would be if non-trans roles could only be played by actors who are non-trans. Somehow I don't think that would go down too well.

I've given other examples too since then to reinforce my point but I still hold to my opinion that I didn't say anything negative about trans people.

And I am still waiting for the poster who called me a disgusting individual to answer my question as to why a trans person has to play a trans role.

Irish people are putting their pronouns on their linkedin profiles now

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

I've given other examples too since then to reinforce my point but I still hold to my opinion that I didn't say anything negative about trans people.

And I am still waiting for the poster who called me a disgusting individual to answer my question as to why a trans person has to play a trans role.

I didn't express an opinion on whether a trans actor can play a trans role.
    What I did do, was call you out on your crap in drawing false equivalences.

• Advertisement

brownej wrote: »

And I didn't express the opinion that trans = paedophile.

You mean the false equivalences that you made up in your head.

What is your opinion on only trans people playing trans roles on stage or in film?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Seems completely fair to me.

Although the same folk championing this would be happy with a black actress being cast as Anne Boleyn.

What about an Irish actor playing a german...or vise-versa...Its all getting a tad ridiculous

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    What about an Irish actor playing a german...or vise-versa...Its all getting a tad ridiculous

My point exactly. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

More work for Michael Fassbender so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Straight roles should only go to straight actors.

Is this the new thing now ? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,435 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'm not saying anything much about trans people at all. The only mention of trans people in any of my last few posts is to say why should there be a requirement that trans roles are played by trans people. I haven't said anything whatsoever negative about trans people.

Using another analogy that might be less sensitive, should an Irish actor always play a role where the person is Irish? The answer to that is no.

So the natural progression from there is that if a character role is transgender, I don't see why it should necessarily be a transgender person playing the role. The role should go to the best actor, who may or may not be transgender.

You've never seen Tom Cruise in 'Far and away...!

A national identity ihad a much broader range than a gender identity.

I see your point though: it's about personal experience leasing into the role and making it more believable. But plenty of cis people have played trans roles to varying degrees of success Hillary Swank in Boys worked well, Kathleen Turner in Friends.... not so much.

But as a casting director, you kind of want to get close to the mark before you start with the acting.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

With the fooking lunacy going on these days if they remade Champion you would have some loon turning up demanding they play Aldaniti.

For you youngsters look up youtube.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Are there any rules about who has to play the arse end of a unicorn?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Posts complaining about moderation or responding to same deleted. You know the drill folks, if there's an issue with how you perceive the thread being modded PM a mod or feel free to use the Help Desk. My PM inbox is open to anyone who wants to discuss this, don't respond on thread

I honestly couldn’t give a fiddlers who plays who as long as the best person in the audition gets the role , has there been a black bull McCabe on stage yet ? That would be fascinating

What is your opinion on only trans people playing trans roles on stage or in film?

Walter goggins was amazing in sons of anarchy

Wow that didnt take long!
    Drawing false equivalences and bringing pedophilia into the same conversation with trans.

You're a disgusting individual!

Well that's just not nice and completely and purposefully missing the point to be outraged.

It's not a false equivalence.

It's completely equivalent.

In order to portray a character on screen, people are pushing for only trans people to play trans characters, gay people to play gay characters, non binary to play nonbinary characters.

Do you support that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Purple is a Fruit

They probably wouldn't be happy with a black actor playing Jesus. Everyone knows Jesus was white!
    Am I right? lol
    Well Jesus was Palestinian so ideally a fair skinned actor shouldn't be playing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,367 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

silverharp wrote: »

Some of the responses to Lara's tweet are quality. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Meursault.
    @llleeds69

I've stopped saying "good morning" as I realise it might be the afternoon or even nighttime for some.
    Now I say "happy day" but this can be problematic if someone is having a bad one.

My personal favourite:

"Accurately describing the current season in one’s area is immoral?

Deciding to obscure the truth with unnecessary ambiguity is moral?

This is the most obscenely elitist, luxury-driven, and bourgeois nonsense that I have ever seen."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭Cordell

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Baggly wrote: »
    Mod

Not lighthearted - dont post in this thread again.

Mod

Lifted after discussion with poster via PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

She/her

always the pronouns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Saw this appaling trash in an english bookshop here in Barcelona

554535.jpg

I had a look, my God ... some points :
    "Race should never be ignored in favour of the person's character , RACE is one of the most important things, you need to acknowledge POC skintone"

Imagine buying that for a kid believing it was actually a good Anti racist thing - it's divisive race baiting nonsense.

The bookshop is very left leaning - they don't stock Jordan Peterson or Douglas Murray - they refuse :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:... another great books included there :

41jvaPtPkiL.jpg

I am looking forward to the one about the happy heroin addict.

F*ck you bigot!! how dare you lecture me on my lifestyle addicted to heroin is unhealthy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Saw this appaling trash in an english bookshop here in Barcelona

554535.jpg

I had a look, my God ... some points :
    "Race should never be ignored in favour of the person's character , RACE is one of the most important things, you need to acknowledge POC skintone"

Imagine buying that for a kid believing it was actually a good Anti racist thing - it's divisive race baiting nonsense.

The bookshop is very left leaning - they don't stock Jordan Peterson or Douglas Murray - they refuse :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:... another great books included there :

41jvaPtPkiL.jpg

I am looking forward to the one about the happy heroin addict.

F*ck you bigot!! how dare you lecture me on my lifestyle addicted to heroin is unhealthy!!

While I will make no comment on the race point - though admitting that the idea that we all jus view each other as humans is now not acceptable??? WTF...

Happy Fatty books should be banned, actually encouraging something proven to have a negative effect on health and life, with the added cost to the exchequer when your health declines is just wrong.

Being fat is usually down to the person not being arsed eating right or keeping fit, sure there can be many reasons for it, but there is no reason to blanket support bad health.

Might as well just scrap all health initiatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

While I will make no comment on the race point - though admitting that the idea that we all jus view each other as humans is now not acceptable??? WTF...

Happy Fatty books should be banned, actually encouraging something proven to have a negative effect on health and life, with the added cost to the exchequer when your health declines is just wrong.

Being fat is usually down to the person not being arsed eating right or keeping fit, sure there can be many reasons for it, but there is no reason to blanket support bad health.

Might as well just scrap all health initiatives.

No book should be banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

No book should be banned.

No, but they should be ridiculed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement