Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,702 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

TomSweeney wrote: »
    I find it disturbing that it will be monitored.
    So what happens to people that don't wear the badge ?

Orwellian.

They will probably be charged under the new Hate Crime laws introduced in Scotland.
    Locked up for whistling on a Tuesday.

They are headed down a very dangerous path there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭randd1

They will probably be charged under the new Hate Crime laws introduced in Scotland.
    Locked up for whistling on a Tuesday.

They are headed down a very dangerous path there.
    No, they're not.

From what I've read, that particular endeavour has died a death already fro its sheer stupidity, not least due to the backlash on social media as well as the more sane LGBT people saying it should never have been entertained in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CarProblem

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CarProblem

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

CarProblem wrote: »

That could catch on - we could sew our race cards to our clothes so that everyone can see our ethnicity, religion etc.
    Oh wait ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Esho wrote: »
    That could catch on - we could sew our race cards to our clothes so that everyone can see our ethnicity, religion etc.
    Oh wait ....

There’s an irony to it alright, especially in the context of National Geographic magazine’s history :D

I’m reminded of the other night when I sat down to catch up on the latest series of Law & Order SVU, and instead of a hard hitting procedural drama that might sometimes be inspired by actual stories… this was more like storylines inspired by actual drama - selfie portrait mode shots to camera and grainy shìte footage, Oscar-worthy lengthy speeches (about racial stereotypes and unconscious bias)… it was just a mess. Turned off after half an hour was all I could take of the new format.

I call bullsh1t (and I don't deny the existence of plenty of woke tripe - but that can't be real).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Lurleen wrote: »
    I call bullsh1t (and I don't deny the existence of plenty of woke tripe - but that can't be real).

Sorry, its real
    ‘So, what’s my race card?’ Goldberg continues. ‘This is a hard exercise, but reflecting on the difficult past year, on our fraught politics, and so many frank conversations I’ve had with friends and colleagues, for now I’ll leave it at this: “White, privileged, with much to learn.” ’
    Msn - National Geographic slammed for playing the race card - literally

• Registered Users Posts: 33,332 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Sorry, its real
    ‘So, what’s my race card?’ Goldberg continues. ‘This is a hard exercise, but reflecting on the difficult past year, on our fraught politics, and so many frank conversations I’ve had with friends and colleagues, for now I’ll leave it at this: “White, privileged, with much to learn.” ’

She's not male. No card.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Sorry, its real
    Comedy gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Lurleen wrote: »
    Comedy gold.

it wont take long before you cant distinguish this from "white pride"

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Coincidentally I had just cancelled my sons subscription to Nat Geo Kids ...

Glad I did now...

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57501651

If it were a Christian player they would be sneering at him for his beliefs, but because he is a practicing Muslim the media are **** over this ....

If it were a Christian player they would be sneering at him for his beliefs, but because he is a practicing Muslim the media are **** over this ....

They wouldn’t though -

Cristiano Ronaldo accepts Daily Telegraph libel payout

And as for his religious beliefs -

https://hollowverse.com/cristiano-ronaldo/

Bit ridiculous to go looking for persecution where it doesn’t exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

What kind of non sequitur is this

I kinda dislike this word 'class', but it seems like the most apt word in this instance.

He did it discreetly, and with respect. He emerges from this story looking a lot better than those who might be whining about it. There's nothing "woke" about this at all.
    The 28-year-old Frenchman, who is a practising Muslim, made no comment on the matter - just discreetly moved the non-alcoholic beer and placed it below the table during a post-match press conference.

What kind of non sequitur is this

Ronaldo doesn’t drink either, nobody cares, about either whether he drinks or not, or his religious beliefs. The only time anyone cared was when a tabloid rag made up a story about him drinking, and rightfully he sued them for libel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

latest woke-ism? RTE's piece on Bloomsday on tonight's news.

Stovepipe wrote: »
    latest woke-ism? RTE's piece on Bloomsday on tonight's news.

—What? Mr Bloom asked.

Let her speak. Look straight in her eyes. I believe you. Trust me.

WOKE me up in the night, she said. Dream he had, a nightmare.

Indiges.

—Said the ace of spades was walking up the stairs.

—The ace of spades! Mr Bloom said.

She took a folded postcard from her handbag.

—Read that, she said. He got it this morning.

—What is it? Mr Bloom asked, taking the card. U. P.?

—U. p: up, she said. Someone taking a rise out of him. It’s a great shame for them whoever he is.

—Indeed it is, Mr Bloom said.

She took back the card, sighing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

Heard a fella on the radio this morning talking about his 'hair loss journey'. Years ago lads just went bald , tis a journey nowadays!

• Advertisement

Mod

A reminder that this thread is not for discussing gender identity politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

What did I miss??

Anyway , over in the UK:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/06/15/primary-school-pupils-should-learn-white-privilege-says-re-teachers/

Primary school pupils should be taught about white privilege, religious education (RE) teachers have been told in new curriculum guidance.
    Lessons should introduce children aged 8-11 to the “key concept” of white privilege, described as invisible benefits that society affords to people “because of their whiteness”, according to the National Association of Teachers of Religious Education (NATRE).

The materials, seen by The Telegraph, are designed to help schools include black, Asian and ethnic minority people in RE syllabuses, which are determined locally unlike other subjects.

Primary teachers are also urged to recognise their own unconscious bias in class, as it “can make it hard for some to identify systemic racism”.

An attached glossary of key ideas for RE teachers cites put-downs and jokes as microaggressions that can “reinforce white power”, and adds: “It’s important to engage with the idea that racism is a problem for white people, rather than for black people.”

A section on the legacies of slavery tells teachers “the complicity of Christians in the enslavement of millions is an untold story” because of the “sugar coating” of Christian history which has a “shameful stain” of the Atlantic slave trade.

But on Tuesday, experts questioned whether the guide was appropriate.

Dr Michael Nazir-Ali, the Bishop of Rochester between 1994 and 2009, said: “The situation in the educational institutions is that white working class boys are at the bottom of the pile. So what does it mean to teach them that they are privileged?”

What did I miss??

Anyway , over in the UK:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/06/15/primary-school-pupils-should-learn-white-privilege-says-re-teachers/

Primary school pupils should be taught about white privilege, religious education (RE) teachers have been told in new curriculum guidance.

Trying to brainwash the kids early I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,332 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Hhhhh wrote: »

Early?! They've been doing it for centuries! It's the whole point of education!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

Silly me I thought it's about passing the knowledge to the next generation while also teaching them how to think for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Hhhhh wrote: »

Giving England's History in colonialism and slavery its about time they were educated about it. They learn nothing of what they did here for instance. They completely ignore anything shameful by in large.

Brainwashing kids? You mean faith schools? Learning a man 2000+ years ago was nailed to a cross to save our souls. Thats a bit over the top for 5 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Imagine trying to tell a poor white kid from moyross or Carew park that he has privilege...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Gotta start demoralising these white children early so they are more even more pliable in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

imagine having a philosophy that tells a class of kids that they are either losers or asshol3s

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,169 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

enricoh wrote: »
    Heard a fella on the radio this morning talking about his 'hair loss journey'. Years ago lads just went bald , tis a journey nowadays!

Everything's a "journey" now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement