Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭paul_booth_fan

Cordell wrote: »
    Not really, while most will have beliefs that are contradicted by science, they are not against science. They will say you go look for your truths your way, we are looking our way.

And then we have the perfect religion, Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Ramen

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Lads - the thread is about having a bit of fun. If you want to have a serious discussion or a rant, there are other fora to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

Ramen

You mean rapersons, sibling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭paul_booth_fan

Arrrr, by the good grace of His noodly appendage, you're correct. How silly and non inclusive of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,332 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

silverharp wrote: »

Grand - so don't give them any warning.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Can't use that because it says rape. Also sons.

Rachildren

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Hungary's government cancels gay people under the age of 18 because apparently they don't exist and will prosecute anyone who doesn't comply. Cancels any discussion of it, cancels any TV show which mentions it. The very definition of cancel culture and wokeism....

Just imagine if a government in Europe brought in a law which made it illegal to discuss or mention Christianity to under 18s in school and banned it from TV shows. Censorship, anti free speech, Christians victimised, wokeism on steroids...that's all we'd hear. Would be a total 180 of opinion from the usual sorts.

But I don't want my child learning about a man being nailed to a cross alive, screaming and suffering and left to bleed out in the baking hot sun while birds pick at him, forced to drink vinegar , all to save all of our souls from eternal damnation. Its too graphic and disturbing for young minds and who knows how it will affect them... maybe they will grow up one day to be crucifiers..would say its supporters.. haha

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Hungary's government cancels gay people under the age of 18 because apparently they don't exist and will prosecute anyone who doesn't comply. Cancels any discussion of it, cancels any TV show which mentions it. The very definition of cancel culture and wokeism....

Just imagine if a government in Europe brought in a law which made it illegal to discuss or mention Christianity to under 18s in school and banned it from TV shows. Censorship, anti free speech, Christians victimised, wokeism on steroids...that's all we'd hear. Would be a total 180 of opinion from the usual sorts.

But I don't want my child learning about a man being nailed to a cross alive, screaming and suffering and left to bleed out in the baking hot sun while birds pick at him, forced to drink vinegar , all to save all of our souls from eternal damnation. Its too graphic and disturbing for young minds and who knows how it will affect them... maybe they will grow up one day to be crucifiers..would say its supporters.. haha

Totally disagree with what Hungary are doing.

Just imagine there were multiple countries in which LGBT people are criminalised....and imagine our foreign minister visited there and said nothing...

Oh wait...

But apologies not in the spirit of the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

silverharp wrote: »

I see 'picnic' and 'rule of thumb' on that list too...
    ...A text may be proved to be inaccurate or false, but "if it reflects some deeper truth in society, it doesn't go away." The term "rule of thumb" may "not have that specific etymological origin, but men have dominated women in workplaces and in homes and in virtually every setting. It speaks to a deeper truth."

That said, Turner acknowledges that it is "very sloppy for an academic to pass on misinformation." Once a theory such as the inaccurate history of the "rule of thumb" has been debunked, it can backfire on those promoting it, she says. "If someone has read it who knows it is false, everything gets discredited on that level. So based on one falsehood, a whole history can be challenged."

Pub Date: 4/17/98

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1998-04-17-1998107056-story.html

• Advertisement

Honestly, this may sound ridiculous, but I could never be friends with a Woke-ist. :pac:

What's the racist, transphobic, Islamophobic, or homophobic equivalent term for someone who doesn't like, and is happy to discriminate against, woke-ists?

Honestly, this may sound ridiculous, but I could never be friends with a Woke-ist. :pac:

What's the racist, transphobic, Islamophobic, or homophobic equivalent term for someone who doesn't like, and is happy to discriminate against, woke-ists?

I think you're the one trying to create something yo be against now!

I know a few people who would kind of into that category but are nowhere near as bad, and you have to remind yourself that these are all extreme examples.

The fact that people on this thread have to actively go hunting for this stuff on Twitter and follow people they would normally steer well.clear of, and follow American left-wing publications that they would otherwise NEVER even dream of reading should tell you comething.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

I think you're the one trying to create something yo be against now!

I know a few people who would kind of into that category but are nowhere near as bad, and you have to remind yourself that these are all extreme examples.

The fact that people on this thread have to actively go hunting for this stuff on Twitter and follow people they would normally steer well.clear of, and follow American left-wing publications that they would otherwise NEVER even dream of reading should tell you comething.

I have a close friend who has taken a turn for the woke/far left in the last few years and it's caused problems. Our friend group would consist of mostly left wing with a few centrist and centre-lefts thrown in. No right-wingers that I know of. And since my friend's move farther along the left spectrum, yeah, there's been some serious rows. She's alienating herself a bit. We don't want to ditch her as we love her and she is a long-standing friend and there is a lot of history there but we're concerned. She used to be much more reasonable. Now everything is black and white with her and she throws out the 'bigot' epithet so easily these days along with a few other 'phobes' when the mood strikes. Any pushback at all (even mild) could cause her to deploy one of them. We're at various levels of being sick of her shit at this stage. We are just a normal Irish group of women that you would not give a second glance to in a restaurant as anything out of the ordinary. This isn't some esoteric issue that doesn't come up in every day life.

Any pushback at all (even mild) could cause her to deploy one of them. We're at various levels of being sick of her shit at this stage. We are just a normal Irish group of women that you would not give a second glance to in a restaurant as anything out of the ordinary. This isn't some esoteric issue that doesn't come up in every day life.

Personally, I think you should all be honest with her and ditch her as a friend.

No friend can be a true friend if they behave like that.

Personally, I think you should all be honest with her and ditch her as a friend.

She'll notice hey lherself when she's not invited to events.

As I said though, these people are thankfully rare and best kept at arm's length.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

eskimohunt wrote: »

We have been honest with her! Hence some of the rows. Some have been about other stuff related to it. Ultimately, we don’t want to ditch her. In other ways, she’s a very good person. And we ARE her friends. Pretty much. She had a few other stragglers but basically, it’s us. I don’t want her to be isolated and alone. Life is complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

So you want the entire group to Cancel their friend. Could it be..that you're a massive intolerant hypocrite...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I have a close friend who has taken a turn for the woke

That’s an excellent saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Arsehole?

eskimohunt wrote: »

Realist

• Advertisement

Arsehole?

No thanks. I'm flattered but you're not my type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

TBF - no wokies have ever been discriminated against, much less cancelled.

To use their own vernacular, they've been ' called out ' for their lack of common sense, overt emotionalism and simplistic thinking.

I get my coffee from some of them. They are terribly nice and I'm happy to exchange pleasantries, but I wouldn't fancy being friends with any of them.

Biker79 wrote: »
    TBF - no wokies have ever been discriminated against, much less cancelled.

To use their own vernacular, they've been ' called out ' for their lack of common sense, overt emotionalism and simplistic thinking.

I get my coffee from some of them. They are terribly nice and I'm happy to exchange pleasantries, but I wouldn't fancy being friends with any of them.

They've got nothing worth cancelling.

Those who can, do.
    Those who can't, teach (or lecture or preach - anything to hold people back)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

We have been honest with her! Hence some of the rows. Some have been about other stuff related to it. Ultimately, we don’t want to ditch her. In other ways, she’s a very good person. And we ARE her friends. Pretty much. She had a few other stragglers but basically, it’s us. I don’t want her to be isolated and alone. Life is complicated.

In all likelihood even if you're more tolerant of her behaviour and even if none of the rest group is vocally saying to ditch her that's still going to be the end result.

Over time people will start to avoid solo interactions with her and make excuses for group activities, and you'll probably get stuck in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

https://nypost.com/2021/06/23/cornell-course-teaches-black-holes-could-be-linked-to-racial-blackness/
    What, were you expecting interstellar space travel in your lifetimes? Cold fusion? Unlimited clean energy?
    No way, we have more important problems to solve, like the white supremacy of the black holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭jackboy

https://nypost.com/2021/06/23/cornell-course-teaches-black-holes-could-be-linked-to-racial-blackness/
    What, were you expecting interstellar space travel in your lifetimes? Cold fusion? Unlimited clean energy?
    No way, we have more important problems to solve, like the white supremacy of the black holes.

Scientists are making up for this racism though by using the term ‘dark matter’ which really means ‘Black lives matter’.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JuanBerrosa

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/57163219

So tennis is "too white and too male" , don't they see the irony in the racism and misandry in this ?

Imagine if anyone said "Basketball is too black"

Just imagine what would happen to that person as a consequence ....

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JuanBerrosa

The lunatics are truly running the asylum.

So tennis is "too white and too male" , don't they see the irony in the racism and misandry in this ?

Well, when black becomes the majority ethnicity, you can.

Tennis had a history of being classiest, but if you go to any sports center in Britain you can get a court and have a knock about. The question is - why don't people of minorities do it? And that's a question you'd have to ask them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭AllForIt

That was hilarious from start to finish. Yer man things Nike trainers and Beats headphones are an authentic look. What does he think white coaches wear? A tuxedo?

When I lived in London (Daley's from Hackney) there were Tennis courts nearby anyone could go to, you didn't have to be a member, you just rocked up and paid your fiver, often playing with empty courts around you. And another one in Brixton with even easier access. You didn't pay if the man that came round to collect the fee didn't turn up and when he did you could get away with giving him a couple of quid iirc. I've never seen anything like that in predominately white Ireland. It's not Tennis's fault you can't go to the park and play there like teens do with a football.
    Largely because of Wimbledon's upper-class roots, the regular presence of Royals and time-old traditions often derided as 'stuffy', tennis is often considered a 'posh' sport in Britain.

I quite like the 'stuffy' upper class look of Wimbledon that you don't get in the other tournaments. I certainly don't wan't to see people wearing street clothes and beats headphones in the Royal box. It would spoil the look.
    Former England footballer Gary Neville and Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, were fairly explicit in that belief when they criticised the government's decision to allow a capacity crowd at the Wimbledon finals while many coronavirus restrictions remain.

Neville retweeted a comment which claimed it was "class discrimination in plain sight".
    "Can’t dance at a wedding but can stuff strawberries and champagne down your neck at The All England Club packed with tens of thousands crammed like sardines in a tin," wrote Neville on Twitter.

Eh, Wimbledon was entirely cancelled last year and isn't there some big football tournament going on currently with fans leaving Leicester Square looking like a waste facility? Not so much strawberries and champagne but hot dogs and cans of lager. And Neville, one doesn't stuff strawberries down your neck, try to have some class despite your upbringing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement