Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Deleted - posted twice

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Looking for the list so far: Left wing woke and Right Wing Woke.

LWW: Trans, gender, all whites are racist, cancel culture.

RWW: Being woke, racism, empire is good, guns kill people, crypto, Musk, Trump, stolen election, clean coal, Brexit, statues.

What else to add?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

A person with principals doesn't back down when they see something that is wrong.His generation have backbone and called a spade a spade, not a man a woman or a mother a birthing parent. We don't see much of it anymore, fair play to the man. Principals are a good thing, virtue signalling crap will eat itself, it's already started and I'll be delighted to see the back of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ingalway

Wow, you really do a great job on gender hypocrisy and your misogyny is on full show.

"His ideas about gender are simply that fragile, probably because he has a girl's name"

Keep it up, it's people like you that shine a light on what is going on and makes people join the dots. Thanks for doing it so well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Having trouble with a story from the DM claiming that being a history buff is woke. I need this one explained to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

He was obviously tipped off, that the order had been issued, or at least was in the process of being issued...and any fans who have him grief were labeled as racist... believe rovers fans have a chant about him being a rapist...he & his club made a complaint about racist abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

That's a very loaded question dunne. You assume that your definition of gender is the same as their definition of gender, and what is gender after all, is it anything more than a social construct that we can redefine at will?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭archfi

“If you don’t let biological males compete in women’s swimming, they will drown”

🤣🤣

Not unexpected, just the flip side of 'iT's GeNoCiDe/eRaSuRe waaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh'

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Sorry.

"Calling a spade a spade" has been cancelled

It's racist..apparently

• Advertisement

Don't even joke about it, someone will be along soon to declare gardening is elitist/racist or phobic in some way. I'm sure some of the gals writing the opinion pieces for the Indo are always trawling for ridiculous stuff to pretend to be outraged by. They're scraping the bottom of the barrel as it is. 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ahh FFS.

Now gardening is racist and we can't discuss native plants versus non native plants.

Maybe we would better off if old Vlad did let lose a few nukes because the English speaking Western world is going up it's own hole at this stage.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I knew there was a reason I loved hiking, it's the sheer whiteness of it.

I must look into gardening, I'd hate to think there's invasive speices on my property where there should be native ones

Even controlling invasive species in deeply rooted in racism and xenophobia. Even if, or especially when, invasive species are hurting the native ones we should not even consider doing something about it.

Maybe we would better off if old Vlad did let lose a few nukes

The plague didn't work, although in the beginning people stopped worrying about these made-up problems, but it was just for a short second.

Ah yes, James Wong. I remember him being a presenter at Chelsea flower show the last few years, with his own segment on succulents and indoor plants. Clearly racism is alive and kicking at the BBC and with Chelsea flower show organisers. There's also the young black chap, can't think of his name, hopefully nobody will charge in and accuse me of racism for that, who grew up in the area around Grenfel, he's been presenting at Chelsea for the last 2 years, got his own garden there this year.

Clearly more racism and discrimination going on. If you've a garden or balcony or window ledge there's nothing stopping someone going out and buying a few cheap plants. Clearly James needed some publicity so hopped on the bandwagon and he got the result he wanted.

See, many plants in Europe where brought back from the Americas and other British colony countries back in the day for rich people to have a garden made for them, before that it was mostly knot gardens made of small hedges. So, if he'd thrown in Colonialism back in the day he might have had a point, or maybe not because only the very wealthy could afford a garden. I should probably give my plants a good dressing down later for being exclusionary of and hostile to my many ethnic minority neighbours who funnily enough, actually enjoy looking at and smelling the flowers in my garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

That spiritual and physical practice that originated in India and is practiced around the world? Yep, that's racist.

It covers the harmful impact of British colonialism on India and how that led to modern western-style yoga, focused on exercise rather than spirituality

What about the positive impact? The one that helped India appropriate the western colonial science which they used to develop their country into a nuclear power with a space program?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The Guardian are crazy, they think that if there aren't black people doing an activity, then it's racist.

Not enough black people involved in swimming / gardening / hiking, etc., etc., so they are all racist.

Complete rubbish.

Different people have different preferences.

The shops are full of hiking gear, the sea is wide open, there are no barriers to putting on a swimsuit and jumping in the sea, or hopping onto a bike and going for a spin on the bike.

If black people choose not to do these activities at the same rate as other people, than that is their choice, grand.

The Guardian seem to think everything is a conspiracy to keep some groups down.

I don't see any Chinese in Ireland down the pub, but that's not racist, it's their choice, grand.

Exactly. Sure one of those woke ads features an extremely obese black woman lying on a surfboard in the ocean, that must mean that there's no racism in the ocean. Like Lenny Henry complaining that there aren't more black and brown people at Glastonbury, maybe they don't want to go. Maybe like a lot of people of all colours, it's just too expensive. Not everyone wants to go to Glastonbury.

• Advertisement

No no no this is not how it works, not anymore. For example, when a hiking group plans their hiking trip first and foremost they need to analyze the diversity and inclusion aspect of their group. If they find the level of diversity and inclusion below the acceptable threshold they need to bring some more diversity or cancel the trip altogether. This is how we move ahead as a diverse and inclusive society.

And if you think that is insane, it is indeed. Also, it is really happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭sekiro

I don't think for a second that The Guardian believes that hiking, mountaineering, gardening or yoga are actually racist or exclusionary. I think their goal is something more along the lines of shaming people for simply enjoying these things. For whatever reason, they cannot stand the fact that people might just be going out on their weekend and enjoying their hobby without even thinking about racism and all the other isms and phobias at all.

The idea that "everything is political" is maybe at the heart of this. I suppose I would compare it to someone who aggressively needs to insert religion not only into absolutely everything that they do but also into absolutely everything that you do. By spreading these articles to the masses they are trying to wedge conversations about race where they potentially don't belong.

I think a good few years ago there was something like this with videogames where in some pretty prominent videogame communities online if you even dared say that some games are not political or that you don't enjoy politics in games you could expect to get a lot of grief.

They simply cannot handle seeing people just going out there and enjoying their hobby and not making it political at all. In their view, everything must have a political angle to it.

You might think that you can just go to the gym and work out and get away from it all and maybe you'll post about that on social media instead of all the usual political nonsense. You can't even have that. Post a nice photo of yourself after your run in the countryside? I hear you're rightwing now, father?

Do you boast about your fitness? Watch out – you’ll unavoidably become rightwing | Zoe Williams | The Guardian

There's probably a weekly outrage target. Maybe if they outdo all of their colleagues there's a really big annual performance bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Someone who is less talented than an average 15 year old lad shouldnt be going down this route

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Just look at her. She's the poster child for identity politics. They were beaten by a team of teenage boys.

Purple hair-Tick

Fu ck you attitude to anyone who doesn't subscribe to her identity politics-Tick

Rabid, talentless fourth wave feminist-Tick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭archfi

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Bigoted lazy ignorant stereotyping -‘Tick Tick Tick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Didn't the BBC warn Gary Lineker to STFU when he used Twitter for political commentary some year back?

Another example of racism I suppose, they would never have told a white man to STFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I can probably see where he's coming from, if a lad in school was lucky to have wealthy parents and came back after the school holidays with a tan, he got an awful doing! Mostly by people who were jealous that the tan somehow made him more attractive...

But you don't say that in public! He's doing whitey no favours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Comment from Linekar is just looking for notice.

our family take a good tan once the sun comes out and wete often singled out as kids for comments such as n word. Tans were got at Costa Del Naler 😂

wed take the p back and say their aulone and aulfella spent a fortune going to Spain for this tan and are jealous.

On the upside, we used to go to the college for Spanish students at lunch time and get a free lunch when lunch was outdoors.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement