Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I think you’ve a couple of things arseways there tbh. Baron-Cohen began his career in comedy as a result of his political activism. He wasn’t particularly good at anything else it would seem, but when you already have plenty of money and wealth, the last thing you’re concerned about is money and wealth, the accumulation of wealth is more happenstance.

Personally, I think he’s the second-most unfunny fcuker that’s ever done that style of political commentary through satire, the most unfunny fcuk being Blindboy and his efforts. Just to be clear though, Baron-Cohen absolutely is a leftie -

He was born in 1971, the second of three sons, to Gerald and Daniella. His father, who is Welsh, runs a successful clothing shop in Piccadilly, London, while his mother is Israeli. After a private education at Haberdashers' Aske's School in Elstree, also the alma mater of comedians David Baddiel and Matt Lucas, where he was much liked and well-behaved, he attended Christ's College, Cambridge, to read history. University friends remember him as belonging to the fringes of the extrovert Footlights drama society set. 'He was a decent enough actor. I recall him doing very well in Cyrano de Bergerac,' says one. 'But he was never exactly a leading light.' At the same time, he was involved with Habonim, a Zionist youth movement.

In his third year at Cambridge, Baron Cohen wrote a thesis about the role of Jews in the American civil rights movement. 'He took it very seriously,' remembers a contemporary. 'He spent time in the USA researching it during the summer holidays; it was extremely well received.' The existence of this thesis suggests that Baron Cohen has more than a passing interest both in Borat's specific American targets and in the wider challenges of social integration and bigotry with which his comedy deals. His description of a black American southerner as having a 'chocolate face' retains its capacity to shock and the method Baron Cohen employs to expose the prejudices of others is still amusing.

But beyond the silly costumes and thick accents, beyond the bawdy humour, could the comedian see himself as more than an entertainer? It is not the Kazakhstani government which has anything to fear from his forthcoming Borat film: the country was chosen for its obscurity, not as a target for satire. It is the rest of us who ought to wonder why we laugh and what laughing at Baron Cohen's comedy says about us. At the same time, we can sit back and watch his burgeoning career, as an accomplished British satirist emerges as a Hollywood comic talent.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2006/sep/10/comedy

If that was the hardest, and Borat the riskiest, Hoffman is the most personal. Discussing the film is as much evangelism about his hero as movie publicity. The connective tissue between the two men is so strong because one of them part-modelled himself on the other. Now, Baron Cohen speaks about Hoffman in the same language others employ to describe him. “He understood the power of humour to expose the ills of society and humble those in power. With laughs, he could gain attention and recruit more people to his cause.”

https://amp.theguardian.com/film/2021/feb/19/sacha-baron-cohen-borat-trial-chicago-7-facebook-trump

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

It’s “okay” for anyone to criticise Giuliani, political commentator or otherwise. One example would be yourself who called him “detestable.” There’s no qualification for criticising public figures. Anyone can do it.

As for Giuliani (who is only about two years older than Trump), if he’s too old to be criticised then he should slink out of the spotlight instead of being a useful idiot for Trump during Trump’s presidency.

Incidentally that last remark about Cohen being all about the “accumulation of wealth” is a bit strange considering that he has never portrayed himself as flash, his own Jewish background, and certain Jewish stereotypes. It stinks of coded antisemitism to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

What people? Where are they? In this thread? 

The original points/opinions raised were:

1: Borat 2 was a bit shite

2: It was politically motivated being timed for the election and focused heavily on one side, a ‘hit piece’ iirc

The first is completely subjective. The second was laughed at but turned out it was. Pre and post release Cohen has said multiple things that show he wished the movie would have a political impact.

Someone thinking Borat 2 was shite, because it was too focused on being an anti Trump movie Being a Trump supporter, hating political satire or being anti-left. 

Which is what the argument seems to have become. There was no cries of the movie being ruined by the woke, no calls for it to be cancelled, or woes about it being anti-trump specifically.

More that Cohen was trying too hard to turn what should have been a vulgar political satire into a political message of substance, and the result was a bit shite.

These shallow people with shallow thoughts, are they commenting elsewhere and you feel you need to teach this thread a lesson that should be directed to them?

edit: qoute box didn’t work the first time so I re-commented.

Post edited by Danonino. on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

The last paragraph here is absolutely bonkers. Complete nonsense. I don’t think I even have to explain why. How you got to this fictional anti-semitic conclusion from what was actually said is sad, and has to be trolling/bait. If not that’s sadder. Like miserable, no matter how I look at it.

“Disclaimer: If you reply to any of my posts with absurd hypothetical scenarios, lame "gotchas," or speculating that I don't really believe what I am saying, I'm not gonna bother my hole replying. Thanks.”

• Registered Users Posts: 38,121 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lol, anti-semitism, that's ridiculous. I'd say the same about Trump,

That's a real low act on your part to suggest that.

I can't believe you'd suggest that I'm anti-Semite for criticising a man whose played an anti-Semite for years.

Fyi I have lots of Jewish friends in the US. I go stay with a Jewish family when I visit Boston.

Cohen has tried to increase his profile his whole career. That's all about money. Do you think he's made movies for free or even small money? If you think he does any of this for anything other than money you are very foolish.

I never said that Giuliani is too old to be criticised. I said what Cohen did was wrong.

• Advertisement

I think the bigger issue is that Cohen is so creatively devoid of ideas that he has to go back and re-tread old ground with Borat.

It was funny back in the day. But the joke is no longer relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm not offended. I do think it was pretty dumb of him though considering all the talk of homophobia in football. But to put it in perspective it's not near as bad as kicking cats for a laugh.

Casillas pretending to come out is woke? Or is hacking his Twitter woke? I don’t see what’s woke here. 🫤

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I would love to be a fly on the wall in the Labor court on this. 🤪

• Advertisement

I apologise then, about the anti-semitic accusations. Jewish people being obsessed with the "accumulation of wealth" is a well-known negative stereotype. However, I realise now that you weren't knowingly making that connection. Sincere apologies again.

I'm not interested with the other posters who are piling on with their own gripes. It's far too easy to accuse people of trolling and bullying on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,121 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Apology accepted. I never talked about anybody but Sasha Baron Cohen specifically as regards his interest in money. Its just pretty obvious to me that he is only interested in his profile and the reason for that is to make as much money as possible. He's done some awful things like acting as an anti-semite in his role as Borat. It was only in the aftermath when heavily criticised for it that he turned it around suggesting his actions were to make people aware of anti-semitism. I never believed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

That's all well and good, but when you have a woke manager in a company and that's all they hire ?

I am noticing this in another department, seeing a lot more blue haired loons around the office.

I was half watching a mila kunis movie the missus was watching “the luckiest girl alive”

and indeed it was a very good movie, but that was that , and thought no more of it

today on msn news which I need to change as my work default home page there was an article about how disgraceful Netflix is for not having trigger warnings 😂😂😂 the article contained tweets of angry people upset a out the movie , in Netflix defence they did have the standard warnings which were enough. In fact I believe these triggered young people needed spoilers not warnings

On the subject of Netflix the Wokies we’re complaining the Jeffrey dahmer series had a lgbt tag on it .

now I’m no expert on lgbt affairs although I would be an ally and not at all disrespectful towards anyone, however if I was to describe the many romantic scenes in the series I would say they are mainly gay .

so I guess it’s understandable the people who take offence on behalf of the lgbt crew were upset , but surely the tag wasn’t aimed at them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Well, in their defence, Any Ted bundy content isn't tagged as "straight" largely because its not at all relevant to the content. No more than Jeffrey boy was a homosexual.

He performed surgeries in his apartment, doubt there was a tag for "medical drama"

The problem is Netflix trying to be uberwoke and spraying wokejizz all over themselves

I don't know if this qualifies as woke but I'll stick it here anyway

A call has been made on community leaders in Castlebar to make the town centre a mobile phone-free zone.

Mark Mellett, retired First Admiral of the Irish Naval Services and former head of the Irish Defence Forces, said the local authority should take the initiative by taking a lead that others would follow.

He explained he bemoaned the fact that so many people were distracted by their devises while walking down the shopping streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

TL;DR, Old man is pissed off that young people are looking at their phones.

Let them have their mobile-free zones today and tomorrow they'll be after our hip young rock and roll music records.

Now that I think of it phones are really handy for avoiding people you'd rather not acknowledge as you can just pretend you don't see them by looking at your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,242 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ve a connection to the English city of Sheffield and as a result follow various social media pages keeping up with the goings on in that city.

There is an article on Sheffield online that talks about Eddie Izzard’s upcoming campaign to try and become mayor of Sheffield…the article goes out of its way to refer to Izzard using the pronoun ‘she’ which it does exclusively and multiple times… more naturally in professional journalistic descriptive verbiage relating to a political professional you’d refer to him as Mr Izzard but said article which also includes an interview with him..and said verbiage in that brief 13 line article…

”she is aiming to..”

”she said..”

“The standup star has announced that she will join…”

”she studied accounting…”

”the city was where she launched her creative career ..”

we, get, the, fûcking, message… 🤪

however digging a little deeper, ITV, BBC, and other credible / not so credible elements of the press are unanimously referring to Eddie as ‘she’..

in order for that to happen, his management or himself has had to contact all these media organisations, demanding they amend his associated pronouns….which I find odd….that a demand could be made of the media firstly and secondly that they all surrender and comply…

• Advertisement

in order for that to happen, his management or himself has had to contact all these media organisations, demanding they amend his associated pronouns

Conspiracy theorist rubbish. What do you think, that Izzard sent a load of heavies over to give the editors a doing if they didn’t comply?

The reality is that Izzard released a statement announcing she preferred the “she/her” pronouns a few years ago, which any journalist doing a single minute’s googling on Izzard would have found while researching.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2020/dec/21/eddie-izzard-to-use-female-pronouns-she-and-her

• Registered Users Posts: 25,242 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That is inaccurate.. from the article which you post... "she wants" .. an insistent and peremptory statement so in the context used... not a request .... anyway... not exactly in the spirit of the topic to start a debate about other people's TA's.. so that's my two cents...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

People can refer to themselves as whatever they want. Everyone else in the world is under no obligation to do same.

Media terrified of the woke mob lest they turn their perpetual outrage on them

Post edited by Tonesjones on

This isn’t the Trivially Annoyed thread. 😩😩😅

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I would imagine it was the evil pronoun police and they called all the media in all the land and informed them they would be locked up in big bad woke jail if they didn't immediately comply with all orders of the woke king\queen whoever he\she is.

And so it was the princesses of right on culture were locked up in the woke prison tower hoping one day to be rescued by a dashing prince who wont dare utter a persons preferred pronouns even under threats of death.

Or some other fairy-tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Saw a comment on Reddit:

"Generally footballers are not noted for their deep thinking skills

No reason to think women would be any different to men in this regard"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

You likely had to shift through hundreds of posts that were highly supportive of the chants before you found that. The Irish Reddit is beyond bizarre, it's like the sub is stuck in the times of English rule. It's one of the most pathetic Irish online spaces that you'll find.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

We're not noted too much (i think) for getting offended by songs, but up North it's like a tit for tat pass time being faux offended, when the rest of the world is looking for some reason to be outraged

The difficulty is drawing the line. Prods singing the sash or Billy boy and up to our neck in fenian blood doesn't bother me

But, then, you have the chanting mocking the murder of Michaela McAreavey is just sick which is on another level of fuktardery which I don't think can be considered woke to find poor

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,149 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@griffin100 do not post in this thread again

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement