Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Some people see "born in Africa" and automatically presume sub-Saharan Black

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

• Registered Users Posts: 13,939 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Did we already cover Rachel Zegler (Latina) as the titular role for Snow White? Can't remember if we did, popped up on a news feed today for me. Such woke, much wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

They're challenging the systemic racism and whiteness that is hill walking, what's not woke about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I didnt get any of that from what you posted. Are you sure you’re not just reading too much into seeing a black man on Countryfile?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I thought it was because Septimius Severus wasn’t black, and the guy was claiming he was a black Emperor, by way of claiming an affinity with him I guess.

It’s a bit of a stretch, about as historically accurate as Biggus Dickus… 🤨

I wouldn't have taken any notice of it, if it hadn't been for articles like the one I've linked above calling out the 'whiteness' of the countryside, which I've seen a few of in the last 2 years. And I wouldn't have commented on it if he hadn't brought up the black Roman emperor...

Of all the families walking on all the trails in all of Britain that week, I'd wonder why it was him they chose to interview

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Aye Plenty of black people would have been in the legion and around. Just this guy seems to be from an area that was Arab and moved somewhere else. So at best mixed race maybe.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

"Plenty" is more than a bit of a stretch, though the same BBC has led with this narrative in other programmes os there can be a fair bit of "Blackwashing" going on. North Africans yes, Ethiopians as Romans would have it and what we would label as "Black" today, no. Going by Roman art they certainly had no issue with portraying accurate representations of Black Africans, but their numbers in the same art suggests they were not so common.

Indeed a later account of Septimius Severus' life has an unfortunate problem for the he was Black story. When he was campaigning in Britain and had won some battles but things were a bit up in the air and was looking for some heavenly sign of the future. He was inspecting the lines and;

"an Ethiopian soldier, who was famous among buffoons and always a notable jester, met him with a garland of cypress-boughs. And when Severus in a rage ordered that the man be removed from his sight, troubled as he was by the man’s ominous colour and the ominous nature of the garland"

This was almost certainly not a racist take on the man's colour. The Romans don't seem to have held such views and the chap appears to have been well liked. More a spin on the "black cat crossing your path" idea, rather than black cats being themselves bad/evil/inferior. However it strongly suggests Severus himself was not an "Ethiopian" and Black. It also suggests the guy came as an unexpected to see shock for Severus. If there had been plenty of Black people in the Roman world this would have not been a shock.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 The Woke Man Bun

Almost old news now, but the fired Twitter workers interviewed by Fox/ ABC, leaving the building with their box of office possessions was comedy gold.

None of the news people realised they were pranksters. After delivering a few tearful remarks about fighting racism, free speech, Michelle Obama etc, one of them said, ' ' excuse me I need to touch base with my wife and husband ' . None of them thought this was suspiciously too progressive..

( google daniel johnson twitter prank )

• Registered Users Posts: 14,695 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The new Willow tv series by Disney is going all out in the woke levels.

The plot is about a group (mostly female) out to save a kidnapped Prince. Yes a kidnapped Prince.

The trailer looks atrocious, another classic desecrated.

Boys need to talk more about feelings and fight inequality, report says

One of the report authors said: “How boys and men behave makes an enormous difference to the lives of girls and women, and individuals of all gender identities, in all areas of their lives.

“From sexual harassment and gender-based violence, to the gender pay gap and relationship breakdown, the attitudes and behaviour of boys and men are hugely influential.

“So, we need to raise a generation of boys who are able to build and sustain healthy, respectful, caring relationships with people of all genders, and not be influenced by restrictive gender stereotypes.”

The 35-page report claims that, as ideas of gender and boyhood are changing to be more fluid, traditional notions of masculinity such as physical, sexual and intellectual prowess – as well as heterosexuality – still dominate.

a quote from the reddit thread where i found it

>Why is everyone having a go about how it talks about the way boys and men behave having an impact on women?

Because the article is called "Boys need to talk more about feelings and fight inequality, report says", the report is called "The State of UK Boys", the organisation is called the "Global Boyhood Initiative", and yet despite all of that, the whole thing comes across as presenting as the well-being of boys only being relevant in the context of female issues.

https://old.reddit.com/r/ukpolitics/comments/yphsf3/boys_need_to_talk_more_about_feelings_and_fight/

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭sekiro

"traditional notions of masculinity such as physical, sexual and intellectual prowess – as well as heterosexuality – still dominate"

Is it really that bad if notions of physical and intellectual prowess are highly valued? It would seem a bit strange to encourage boys to especially see intellectual pursuits as secondary to "speaking out against inequality".

It's really a bit sickening to see the wellbeing of boys and men being framed as just another mechanism to raise up girls and women. Why not just help men and boys for the sake of helping them? I'd love to know exactly how "healthy masculinity" is defined, who is defining it and how they have come to their conclusions.

"But it flagged organised sport and physical education as areas with an urgent need to tackle gender and equality issues, with popularity often the reward for those “good” at sports and exclusion and humiliation as “girly” for those who do not measure up to masculine athletic ideals."

I agree that the humiliation part is wrong but I don't think we need to lose the reward aspect at all. The problem is that there are objective benefits of enjoying sports and being good at them just makes it even more enjoyable. It just feels like they are trying to tie things that they personally dislike to this idea of "toxic masculinity".

I would also say that the idea that boys don't express or talk about their feelings to be a bit of a myth. First, I know women who are not particularly open about their feelings and men who are very open so the generalization itself feels like it is made in bad faith. To then add the extra bit that boys need to talk about feelings more because that will benefit women and girls just makes it feel like none of this is actually being done to help boys at all.

Then people wonder why guys like Jordan Peterson and Andrew Tate manage to amass these huge followings of impressionable boys. Two guys who you could at least say have no problem expressing their thoughts and feelings publicly. Nobody stops for a minute to realize that somehow men like these two are doing something that speaks to young males and maybe try to refine their methods and talking points into something a bit more acceptable and a bit less extreme?

Céline Bonnaire, executive director of the Kering Foundation, said: “In order to effectively combat violence against women and girls, it is essential to address the origins of this violence.

“The Kering Foundation is proud to be a co-founder of the Global Boyhood Initiative. Its launch in the UK, with its evidence-based pilot curriculum for seven– to 11-year-old students, is an opportunity to work directly with younger generations, who can shape a more gender equitable future.”

So basically "let's teach boys to prioritize the well-being of women and girls" nothing really to do with helping boys at all?

This stuff does amuse me they will create a set of men they will never want to date. Most women don't go for jocks as their usually A holes. But they also don't tend to go the other end of the spectrum. It tends to be a guy with broad shoulders and a bit of a belly that's the most successful. We can understand the Jock end as they tend to cheat. 🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 12,867 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

It's funny because a lot of the time when men speak out about their feelings they are met with nothing but disdain, especially on this site.

Is "man up" still a thing they say in relation to violence and all that ? It used to mean not having feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,414 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Global Boyhood Initiative is such a poorly chosen name. It sounds like a blackops unit working for the global paedophile secret government that Alex Jones would tell you about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The former gay rights charity Stonewall are according to The Telegraph advising employers to provided multiple work email addresses and security card passes etc for their gender fluid employees.

I have only one objection to this and that is there is no such thing as gender fluid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,695 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Anyone here old enough to remember the old Hellraiser films ?

They were pretty scary.

So its great news to see that they have made a new film, indeed.

Pinhead is now played by wait for it ..........a trans woman.

Whats next Frances Krueger or Michelle Myers ?

ha Next Ripley as a man ? OFC not it would make no sense at all.

Cenobites were once human, having transformed to their current state in their pursuit of gratification. Cenobites are so removed from their former humanity and so dedicated to exploring physical experience that they no longer distinguish between sensations of pleasure and pain.

odd one to be putting trans into the Equation. Really odd.

i dunno, I wouldn't necessarily call it woke. Cenobites are beyond gender, maybe a trans actor is the perfect fit...

Hulu's 2022 Hellraiser movie is not a sequel to the original 1987 film, nor is it a traditional remake. Instead, it serves as a re-adaptation of Clive Barker's The Hellbound Heart, as well as a reboot of the entire Hellraiser franchise. Ignoring the series' previous continuity is a sensible idea for Hellraiser 2022, given how so many of the sequels were panned — no installment after the 1987 original has higher than a 50% score on Rotten Tomatoes,

https://screenrant.com/is-hellraiser-2022-a-sequel-remake-or-reboot/

I thought the first sequel was the best, but i cant say I've watched them all..

(off topic) I looked up the original actors wiki:

[Doug Bradley] is one of only six actors to play the same horror character at least six consecutive times, the others being Christopher Lee (who portrayed Count Dracula), Robert Englund (who portrayed Freddy Krueger), Warwick Davis (who portrayed the Leprechaun), Brad Dourif (who portrayed Chucky) and Tobin Bell (who portrayed John Kramer/"Jigsaw")

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Is that how they scare some folks nowadays? Pinhead will be trans....ooooh, terrifying!

Can't be any worse than everything after the 3rd one.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ArrBee

I wonder, would it be possible for gender fluid folks to receive multiple benefits as multiple individuals?

I feel a scam coming on....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

It might have been posted in the past but I had the misfortune of coming across the “Ms Monopoly” board game in a shop, and I am still puzzled by it.

“ In a statement, Hasbro said that the game provides an environment in which "women have an advantage often enjoyed by men".

“Money bonuses are provided to female players in Ms. Monopoly. Female players get $1,900 at the start of the game, and male players get $1,500. When passing "Go", female players get $240, while male players only get the standard $200 as in the normal game”

I hadn’t been aware that women had been disadvantaged when playing board games.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Leaving aside the woke nonsense, that's actually insulting. The suggestion that my feeble woman's brain need help to win Monopoly, a game I played as a child, is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Never mind. You can now buy “chocolate chip cookies” as the most valuable asset.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I was walking up by one of our secondary schools earlier today and spotted amongst a number of flags flying outside the school the Pride rainbow flag, only they'd only gone and put the bloody thing up upside down🤣. You'd thing in a school someone would have noticed, like it is based on an actual rainbow 🤣

typo

Post edited by AllForIt on

• Advertisement

Was it the flag that looks like it's from Warhammer 40k or just the regular rainbow ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement