Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭archfi

Can't remember if this was posted, not an actual 'wokism' but a 99% near enough render! 😀

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,117 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If I was cynical, which I am, I'd say this was free advertising riding on identity politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,347 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

This must be a joke?

The Taoiseach, some TDs, newsreaders, CEOs, etc. are homosexual. Why would anybody be scared?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

"I'm gay so support me with donations"

It's a money making gift. Remember the fake hate crimes during the summer.. It all makes sense now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Why would anybody be scared?

I know this thread is intended to be light-hearted, and I don’t mean to tear the arse out of it, but if that’s a serious question, it’s probably not happened that you’ve come across young people who are either kicked out of their homes by their parents, or leave home of their own accord because of issues because of issues other people have with their sexuality.

Happened recently when my young lad asked could his ex-boyfriend stay with us after being kicked out of his home by his parents. I was able to put him in touch with people who were able to provide him with support.

That being said, any charity asking for €50 straight up IS fairly saucy. I wouldn’t call it woke, but if you don’t have it they’re not forcing anyone’s hand either. Was at a Carol service recently and the rector joked about them having tap and pay facilities. I thought THAT was pretty woke, turned out he was only joking, phew 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

seen this, thought of you...

https://s.wsj.net/public/resources/documents/stanfordlanguage.pdf

link ^

Stanford have a list of words not to use because of cultural sensitivities etc. and alternatives in each case, with explanations (not included in screenshots). Here's just a few...

you see the evolution of language here, from 'victim' to 'survivor' to 'person who has experienced...'

I'm sure the 'People of Color' to 'BIPOC' will be cancelled, and go back to 'asian' / 'indian' / 'african' as the case may be fairly soon

• Registered Users Posts: 39,801 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I can kind of understand why some of the words wouldn’t be excepted now but that’s only a few of them, but thirteen pages is going beyond a joke imo. Some of the context for why the words shouldn’t be used are assumptions and imply that everyone using those words is saying them to offend or hurt which is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Long time no see has thrown me for a loop.

It originated as:

“a direct translation of Mandarin syntax (好久不见) and has become a common turn of phrase.” … “hǎojǐu bújiàn” translates into “long time no see” in English. Linguists believe sailors brought the phrase to the U.S. and England during the 19thCentury.

But also may have been:

The result of multicultural interactions “pidgin English” that became a common greeting.

But also could have started as:

“a humorous interpretation of a Native American greeting”.

But also as:

”An imitation of an non english Asian speaker”

That’s a lot of origins for one saying. So no one has a ****ing clue where the saying came from, but it’s been deemed offensive? To who and why I’d ask. Feels a little like people are searching for new things to be outraged over. If anything ‘long time no see’ should be outlawed for **** grammar ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Stupid means lack of intelligence or common sense. How in the name of sweet fcuk then can it be replaced with boring or uncool????? That one has me puzzled. Maybe I'm boring and uncool.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,242 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

how it is apparently offensive now to refer to fragrances as female / male and how new fragrances are now prone to being marketed as unisex or in one case I read about and then saw…. androgynous…how in the name of sweet fück can a scent be androgynous.. androgyny is a physical thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,868 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

I assumed they thought it was offensive to blind people!

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Reading that Stanford language guide and while a lot of it is obviously ridiculous, I think the pick of the bunch has to be their recommendation not to use the phrase "Trigger Warning" as that in itself could be "triggering".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

It’s apparently antisemitic. ‘Hep, Hep’ coming from HEP an acronym from a Latin saying that means Jerusalem is destroyed that possibly was used by the crusaders, This was then adopted by Hitlers troops after the ‘hep hep riots’ in 1819.

but…..

Hip is not Hep, and Hip seems to have its own history and uses and was treated separately to Hep:

“A late-eighteenth-century dictionary defined “hip,” as:

HIP, hip. Iterj. An exclamation, or calling to one.

For example:

Hark! Hark! –hip! Hip! – hoh! Hoh!

What a mart of bards are singing!

Athwart, - across below,

I’m sure there’s a dozen a dining!

Thomas Sheridan, A Complete Dictionary of the English Language, C. Dilly, London (1790).”

So bad by association maybe? I dunno. Words be weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Saw this add in barcelona metro yesterday, so my brother in law is a fireman in barcelona and when he joined out of 2k applicants 60 got in, it's a tough tough slog.

He told me there is one female firefighter.

To up that to 40%

Two things annoy me here - will 40% of applicants be women ? if not then it is outright unfair on numbers alone - and I would guess that it will be a lot less then 40% of applicants will be women.

Also, the tests will need to be changed to get that many women in, they are tough tests carrying heavy loads in heat, walking on narrow beams 30m in the air etc ... this is not the time to be PC and say women are as strong as men and can handle anything a man can.

This is frontline dangerous tough work, would you rather the best person has your back or rescues you ? - or the gender filled quota ?

Post edited by TomSweeney on

There’s at least 8 more women joined the Barcelona Fire Brigade since you were last talking to your brother -

https://www.barcelona.cat/infobarcelona/en/nearly-300-firefighters-to-run-the-vueling-cursa-de-bombers-de-barcelona-2022_1219546.html

But your question about the 40%? They’re reserving 40% of the available vacancies for women. The whole point of the exercise is to break the silly stereotypes and perceptions that people have of firefighting, that it isn’t just all about manually handling people from blazing buildings with little hope of coming out alive, or being at higher risk of developing cancer before retirement age.

https://en.ara.cat/society/40-of-future-catalan-police-and-firefighters-will-be-women_1_4238164.amp.html

It’s not the time to be PC, and it’s not the time for whinging like a spoilt little boy who thinks girls are icky either. I’d rather the person who has my back and rescues me in that situation has a nice pair of tits, but that’s a personal preference, it’s not an essential requirement of their occupation. Couldn’t care less about quotas or anything beyond everyone being safe in that situation, which is less reliant on brawn than it is on people being smart and using their brains, and the equipment that is provided, as opposed to imagining quenching fires and rescuing people is a pissing contest that relies on the equipment in their trousers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭anewme

This is nothing to do with woke.

Your attitude is sexist.

Yes, I was speaking to my brother in law today, there is around 10 now, total.

He thinks it's a crazy decision too, pure politics he says - but I guess he must be "sexist" too right ?

The guy who actually works there and is risking his life ... yeah sure, sexist.

The President of the United States of America was sexist.

So it exists in all walks of life, irrespective of profession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,458 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Have you seen Disneys latest release, Strange World?

Inside the first few minutes, every base is covered when it comes to characters. Even the dog!

Bullshit. Have you looked at the website?

BeLonG To’s vision is a world where LGBTI+ young people are equal, safe, and valued in the diversity of their identities and experiences....not a bad thing I'd have thought.

Point prooved completely, that's me put in my place!!

I guess you are talking about JFK and how he used to get his cock out in the oval office anytime there were women around ?

or Bill Clinton and him **** Lewinsky with a cigar in the Oval Office... Oh wait no not that !!!!

Must be the orange satan you are talking about.

The best person for the job would have nothing to do with their height 😂😂😂

Bizarre way of judging people.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,242 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There are a fair number of Gardai who do not posses the physicality to potentially deal with situations of a very physical nature.

this is because the height restriction was canned in 2001.

its a physical job but it seems physical characteristics to best ably carry are no longer important …everybody has to be included… that is more important..

I saw two over the summer, one male and one female Garda patrolling together about 5’7”…. Good luck to them but jeeez…

a football manager won’t sign a goalkeeper who is 5’9”… why should Gardai who are small in physicality be tasked with a key responsibility for thir colleagues and public ?

I’m not seeing how one contradicts the other. Of course it’s politics, which is part of the reality of serving as a firefighter. It’s not all about men dragging each other round the floor during training drills either y’know! 🤨

This is an invaluable method where a casualty has to be removed from a burning building.

As you can see in Figure 5:28, both rescuer and casualty have their heads low down where the clearest and coolest air is to be found if the building is on fire. It can also be appreciated that the entire weight of the casualty does not have to be supported by the rescuer.

The hands should be crossed over and tied with a bandage or similar. The firefighter's crawl method can be varied according to personal preference. An alternative method is for the rescuer to place an arm, shoulder and head through the casualty's arms.

https://www.nzdl.org/cgi-bin/library?e=d-00000-00---off-0aedl--00-0----0-10-0---0---0direct-10---4-------0-1l--11-en-50---20-about---00-0-1-00-0--4----0-0-11-10-0utfZz-8-10&cl=CL1.1&d=HASH01df7e8d840f67b4d60dc01b.9.4.2.4&gt=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Basically what will happen is that the reduced number of males will share a greater amount of the physical demands, while the females will end up behind a desk or as coordinators. They will do as best they can but in emergency life or death situations speed and strength are more important than brains and technique.

You also see it in the gardai. Yes the female gardai can do 99% of what is required, but the other 1% is the most critical and dangerous part usually, and to be fair I would say quite a lot of the male gardai, looking at their physical condition, couldn't do that 1% either.

Who’s saying anything about reducing the numbers of men who can apply? The whole point is that they are only reserving 40% of new vacancies, for women. All of these security roles whether it’s the defence forces or firefighters are changing, and have been for some time now. They use safety equipment which wasn’t available to them before precisely because of the injuries caused by the previously physical demands of the role. It’s not so much a question of physical speed or strength any more so much as it is an ability to use their brains and remember the techniques they’ve been trained in, to be used in life or death situations so that they reduce the risk of injury both to themselves, and to members of the general public. The ‘jaws of life’ are one of the most well-known examples -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_rescue_tool

I dunno what 1% you’re talking about that requires that the officer is either a man or a woman, that isn’t based on stereotypes of either what men or women are, or aren’t capable of. It’s not woke or anything else, it’s just an evolution in policing. Criminals didn’t used to have half the tools, technology or resources that they do now, and neither did Gardaí, so it’s obvious that the force needs to change with the changes in the society in which they serve. Same with firefighting, no matter what country it is, Ireland or Spain.

It’s not woke or anything else, and sure there’s plenty of politics involved, the State is picking up the tab after all, so politicians, whether they’re men or women, will be expected to be held responsible and accountable for how public funds are being allocated, and what resources are necessary, and what resources are available to them in order to maintain a functioning police force, fire service, defence forces, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Is it a stereotype now that men are stronger and faster than women? Or that they would be able to carry more weight if necessary? Or that they would have more chance to fight back if physically attacked? Or that they would physically be more capable or chasing and apprehending a suspect?

The 1% is when you don't have the resources or time available, or when you just have to rely on your own instincts and body alone, which I'm sure most people in emergency services still have to do, regardless of what technology or resources are available in ideal circumstances. That's when the men will have to step up as they always have done.

• Advertisement

Yes, you are relying on stereotypes to make your point, same as you did earlier in your observations of members of AGS. Physicality, strength or “stepping up” don’t count for shìt when you’re outnumbered and being beaten about the face with your own heavy-duty torch -

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/garda-suffers-horrifying-facial-injuries-28552255.amp

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement