Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I was wondering how Trump got so close to getting reelected - he really did, the flip states have razor-thin margins. I was thinking “Nearly half the people who voted, voted for him. I refuse to believe that half the people who voted are bigots and racists”. So, what happened? How did that goober get so close to a second term? Then I saw an interesting exit poll statistic. Something like 88% of people who voted for Trump cited identity politics as a reason. People are fed up of being made to feel guilty for being white, fed up of being put in a box and expected to think and vote a certain way simply because they are an ethnic minority, sick of being called transphobic for minor reasons. People are tired of being judged and admonished by their “betters” when actually, I think most people are pretty decent and just want to live their lives with as little hassle as possible.

I thought that stat was really interesting. Identity politics fatigue played a big part in almost returning Trump to the White House. I actually said to my OH a few times in the last few months that I was worried that Biden and Harris’s flirting with ID politics would alienate voters who have much more pressing worries but I doesn’t think it would actually happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Then I saw an interesting exit poll statistic. Something like 88% of people who voted for Trump cited identity politics as a reason.

I strongly doubt that 88% of the people who voted for him even understand the meaning of the term 'identity politics'. It's a term I've only ever heard on the internet (usually by people annoyed that not everyone shares their racist, misogynistic, homophobic or transphobic views).

.anon. wrote: »
    I strongly doubt that 88% of the people who voted for him even understand the meaning of the term 'identity politics'. It's a term I've only ever heard on the internet (usually by people annoyed that not everyone shares their racist, misogynistic, homophobic or transphobic views).

Aaaaand the contempt for voting people and their intellect continues. We’ve seen so much of that in the last four years. This is a lesson that will never be learned.

I’m so glad that Biden got over line but the slim margin of his victory should cause reflection. He barely beat Trump. Trump’s election four years ago was shown to not be an aberration. He came close again after four years in office. Why is that? Aren’t you interested to find out? Nah, much easier to write off half the voting population as dullards instead of trying to understand them.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,237 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Call Of Duty Cold War, you have to as part of one of the missions enter your name, place of birth, sex, for sex the options are Male/Female or Non-Binary. The game is supposed to be based in 1980's, long before such wackjob terminology was around.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭COVID

Los Alamo wrote: »
    All the phobias.

How long before you add pedophobia to that list?

That's not all the phobias. Here's just the 'A' list:
    (Underlined and in bold is my own personal favourite)

Acarophobia fear of itching or of insects causing itching
    Acrophobia fear of heights
    Aerophobia fear of flying or draughts
    Agoraphobia fear of open spaces
    Agyiophobia fear of crossing busy streets
    Aichmophobia fear of sharp or pointed objects
    Ailurophobia fear of cats
    Algophobia fear of pain
    Amathophobia fear of dust
    Amaxophobia fear of riding in a car
    Ambulophobia fear of walking
    Anglophobia fear of England or the English
    Anthrophobia fear of humans
    Anuptaphobia fear of staying single
    Aquaphobia fear of water
    Arachibutyrophobia fear of peanut butter sticking to roof of mouth
    Arachnophobia fear of spiders
    Astraphobia fear of being struck by lightning
    Astrapophobia fear of thunder and lightning
    Automysophobia fear of being dirty
    Autophobia fear of solitude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Women can be racist and sexist too.

EmuhkRIXEAIJ8Wt?format=jpg&name=900x900

Aaaaand the contempt for voting people and their intellect continues. We’ve seen so much of that in the last four years. This is a lesson that will never be learned.

I’m so glad that Biden got over line but the slim margin of his victory should cause reflection. He barely beat Trump. Trump’s election four years ago was shown to not be an aberration. He came close again after four years in office. Why is that? Aren’t you interested to find out? Nah, much easier to write off half the voting population as dullards instead of trying to understand them.

You have completely misinterpreted my post. I said nothing about anyone's intellect. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you didn't read beyond the first sentence. It's not because they're 'dullards' - it's because right-wing buzzwords like 'woke' and 'identity politics' barely exist outside of the internet and most people couldn't care less about that kind of stuff, one way or the other. Neither a significant vote-winner nor a vote-loser.

Anyway, it's 28 years since an incumbent president was voted out. And unlike Bush (and Carter 12 years before that) Trump wasn't beaten by a spectacularly strong or charismatic candidate.

You have completely misinterpreted my post. I said nothing about anyone's intellect. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you didn't read beyond the first sentence. It's not because they're 'dullards' - it's because right-wing buzzwords like 'woke' and 'identity politics' barely exist outside of the internet and most people couldn't care less about that kind of stuff, one way or the other. Neither a significant vote-winner nor a vote-loser.

Anyway, it's 28 years since an incumbent president was voted out. And unlike Bush (and Carter 12 years before that) Trump wasn't beaten by a spectacularly strong or charismatic candidate.

The 88% figure was part of exit poll data (as I wrote in my first post of this exchange. Perhaps you should read people’s posts more carefully yourself?). So we are not just talking about esoteric internet discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,246 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Truth, he was beaten by nice enough average Joe, not some fast talking young maverick...for all his bull and bluster it’s been decided by the Americans that Trump was a not a good enough president and they’d give somebody else who they believed would do a better job, an opportunity to do just that.

The 88% figure was part of exit poll data (as I wrote in my first post of this exchange. Perhaps you should read people’s posts more carefully yourself?). So we are not just talking about esoteric internet discussions.

Like I said, I strongly doubt that "something like 88%" of those polled cited 'identity politics' as a reason for voting for Trump. Was the right-wing internet buzzword actually used in the exit poll question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭AllForIt

.............right-wing buzzwords like 'woke' and 'identity politics' barely exist outside of the internet and most people couldn't care less about that kind of stuff, one way or the other..........

When I was last in Penny's they had a selection of T-shirts with WOKE printed across the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭COVID

AllForIt wrote: »
    When I was last in Penny's they had a selection of T-shirts with WOKE printed across the front.

On the pyjamas too?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

AllForIt wrote: »
    Made in some Asian sweat-shop no doubt. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

Sweatshop sound offensive, let's use something like unsustainable workforce exploitation workshop.
    You know, because WE CARE
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭nofools

I was wondering how Trump got so close to getting reelected - he really did, the flip states have razor-thin margins. I was thinking “Nearly half the people who voted, voted for him. I refuse to believe that half the people who voted are bigots and racists”. So, what happened? How did that goober get so close to a second term? Then I saw an interesting exit poll statistic. Something like 88% of people who voted for Trump cited identity politics as a reason. People are fed up of being made to feel guilty for being white, fed up of being put in a box and expected to think and vote a certain way simply because they are an ethnic minority, sick of being called transphobic for minor reasons. People are tired of being judged and admonished by their “betters” when actually, I think most people are pretty decent and just want to live their lives with as little hassle as possible.

I thought that stat was really interesting. Identity politics fatigue played a big part in almost returning Trump to the White House. I actually said to my OH a few times in the last few months that I was worried that Biden and Harris’s flirting with ID politics would alienate voters who have much more pressing worries but I doesn’t think it would actually happen.

An extreme on one side only invites more to form on the other side.

This site was good fun years ago and now is just a battleground for partisan arguments across every issue.

People living in Ireland with extreme views on issues that don't even affect us.

Hate begets more hate

nofools wrote: »
    An extreme on one side only invites more to form on the other side.

This site was good fun years ago and now is just a battleground for partisan arguments across every issue.

People living in Ireland with extreme views on issues that don't even affect us.

Hate begets more hate

I disagree. You shouldnt only deeply care about issues that directly concern you. I personally think that is a selfish attitude and also one I can guarantee you don't live by. I'm sure you have very strong opinions on issues that don't impact directly on your life.

Strongly disagreeing with something is now being called hate. There's the problem. Debate is now stifled as hate or being "extreme" about something that shouldn't concern you.

I disagree. You shouldnt only deeply care about issues that directly concern you. I personally think that is a selfish attitude and also one I can guarantee you don't live by. I'm sure you have very strong opinions on issues that don't impact directly on your life.

Strongly disagreeing with something is now being called hate. There's the problem. Debate is now stifled as hate or being "extreme" about something that shouldn't concern you.

That is not so much what i am getting at it.

To make the example, I see a freshly minted misogynist type as the birth child of a radical feminist (a reflexive reactionary type thing).

Every second thread in after hours/ca paints this picture.

I think we can all see the difference between someone with a strong opinion or someone who has developed their entire persona around a topic and lives and breaths it to the point of singular obsession. Opinion vs hate.

That is not so much what i am getting at it.

To make the example, I see a freshly minted misogynist type as the birth child a radical feminist (a reflexive reactionary type thing).

Every single thread in after hours/ca paints this picture.

I don't mean to be rude, and it may be my Sunday mind not clicking into gear, but I have re-read that post a few times and can't figure out what you mean.

*Edit* sorry maybe I can. I think you are saying that misogynistic behaviour is fuelled by third wave feminism and vice versa.

I kind of agree and disagree again. I think the definition of misogyny and indeed feminism have been hijacked.

I completely agree that men and women should be afforded the same opportunities but are different genders. By definition, that makes me a feminist. But the fact that I don't agree there is a gender pay gap and that I don't believe in a patriarchy, makes me at odds with what is socially referred to as a feminist.

I just believe in equal treatment. And that sometime gets me called far right.

I don't mean to be rude, and it may be my Sunday mind not clicking into gear, but I have re-read that post a few times and can't figure out what you mean.

*Edit* sorry maybe I can. I think you are saying that misogynistic behaviour is fuelled by third wave feminism and vice versa.

I kind of agree and disagree again. I think the definition of misogyny and indeed feminism have been hijacked.

I completely agree that men and women should be afforded the same opportunities but are different genders. By definition, that makes me a feminist. But the fact that I don't agree there is a gender pay gap and that I don't believe in a patriarchy, makes me at odds with what is socially referred to as a feminist.

I just believe in equal treatment. And that sometime gets me called far right.

No interest in the topic itself, just be a good person.

But yes i think you are following me.. two antagonistic sides just spawn more of each other and everyone in the sensible middle suffers the consequences.

American politics , case in point

No interest in the topic itself, just be a good person.

But yes i think you are following me.. two antagonistic sides just spawn more of each other and everyone in the sensible middle suffers the consequences.

American politics , case in point

No I get you. Sorry man, been a long day.

Yeah I agree.

It's just a shame that debate is being stifled. Truth doesn't really matter to either side and their "team" winning is all that counts.

I agree. Be the best person you can be. If that upsets a couple of *****, **** them. Just do your own personal best each day.

Respect.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

I am heartily ****ing sick of being called “cis”. It’s offensive to me as a woman.

Even more pissed off to report it and see it allowed. Double standards by Boards.

Gervais08 wrote: »
    I am heartily ****ing sick of being called “cis”. It’s offensive to me as a woman.

Even more pissed off to report it and see it allowed. Double standards by Boards.

With all due respect..........

Nah I agree (surprise!!!!!)

I can't see why you are offended by the term, but I am a little perplexed by why this term is now common vernacular despite most people it refers to not being happy by it.

Pronouns in their bio excluded, who the **** refers to themselves as cis?

*Edit

If cis is a thing, can we finally have cis pride day? Because I'd happily counter protest it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

''Of Color/Colour''

Society can f*ck right off with that. This need to put people in neat boxes because of their skin pigment is absolutely repugnant. Dr King said the exact opposite in his famous speech and yet here we are. A complete 180 from those who would no doubt purport to idolise him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Gervais08 wrote: »

Ah cis, where these social justice, virtue signalling nutters have taken a totally random term and decided to apply it to every day normal people.

I'm not a "cis man", I'm a man. My wife isn't a "cis woman", she's a woman.

Also, the phrase "uterus holders" or "people with a cervix", since when is woman a dirty word? F*ck off like, stop it with this nonsense.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭ArrBee

When are we going to wake up!

The patriarchy, for too long, has been oppressing women in sport by forcing them to play with balls!
    The time has come for all balls to be removed from woman's sport*

*obviously men declaring as women in sport are still allowed to have balls. :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

biko wrote: »
    Well of course. It was only a matter of time. Because some might have to start asking the uncomfortable questions around why non White European Yellow Asian folks on average do better than both American POC and White Americans in a predominantly White culture where Asian Americans have suffered racism and exclusion for a very long time. If I were to bet, I reckon those from India will be quietly moved out of the POC label soon enough and for similar reasons. It's not "race" either, as those of a Pakistani background are less likely on average to have similar educational standards and wealth to Indians, yet are the same "race". Hell, recent Black African immigrants to the US do better than Black African Americans on average.

What the American culture and what it actually means to be "American" shows is a deeply rooted obsession with "race" and a deeply rooted racism with it and that the melting pot is melting and their internal narratives around it latterly are disappearing up their own arses trying to explain and wish that away.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Omackeral wrote: »
    ''Of Color/Colour''

Society can f*ck right off with that. This need to put people in neat boxes because of their skin pigment is absolutely repugnant. Dr King said the exact opposite in his famous speech and yet here we are. A complete 180 from those who would no doubt purport to idolise him.
    I was always more a Malcolm X man myself O. He was more into cutting through the bullsh1t of melting pot America and how the Black man and woman were excluded from it and how having a dream was all very well, but that's all it was and as has been shown since one that people need to wake up from.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

There is a video by Bill Maher asking the Democrats to reflect on their poor result:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgrZAPUvKyA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Leftyflip wrote: »
    I'm not a "cis man", I'm a man. My wife isn't a "cis woman", she's a woman.

Also, the phrase "uterus holders" or "people with a cervix", since when is woman a dirty word? F*ck off like, stop it with this nonsense.:rolleyes:

Actually, I think you'll find it's womxn now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement