Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I agree and the people who support it usually think they are being "an ally" to the gay community, In fact it does not aid LGBT at all and makes those using sound like weirdos.
    Not at all. I don't think I am aiding anyone.

But online ....in certain circles ..people can't see you ...they don't know you are cis sexed.

I would rather people know.

If this was a forum where there were many non binary people and trans people you might feel like using it too.

Ah the youth with time to kill will find woke appealing and post many times
    So you can't argue so you just attack me?

:pac:

I am not woke by the way.

I think the right are woke ...only woke to realizing their lives didn't turn out as they hoped. Not you personally. But many online. You can tell they are just unhappy with their lives generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,300 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Gervais08 wrote: »
    No, I say straight but heterosexual isn’t an insult. Cis is used as a slur.

How is it a slur?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

How is it a slur?

Because it’s demeaning to women to say “you’re not women, you’re just a ‘subset’ of women”. Bull****.

Because it’s demeaning to women to say “you’re not women, you’re just a ‘subset’ of women”. Bull****.

Cis does not mean 'a subset of a gender' nor had it ever been accurately used as such!

Again: why world you consider heterosexual to be OK but cis to be a slur?

• Advertisement

Cis does not mean 'a subset of a gender' nor had it ever been accurately used as such!

Again: why world you consider heterosexual to be OK but cis to be a slur?

I’ve been personally insulted with “cis” as a slur, on there very Boards, by someone who believes that men are just as much women as I am and I must move aside for them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

46 Long wrote: »
    Welcome to 2020, where 'I <3 JK Rowling' is now considered hate speech
    Well she ran afoul of the more vocal of the perpetually offended(usually on behalf of others) twitterati, so therefore she's a heretic and no longer part of the "protected groups". She was once in the fold because she's a woman(White and rich didn't help though), wrote Gay characters and most of all is popular among a subset of grown arsed adult nerds who are more likely to take "offence" if their credo isn't followed to the letter.
    Why is it that people think the phrase ..man up is offensive? I think that is daft.

I mean its usually said to someone ..usually male ..who is acting in a childish manner.

Its like saying ..be more like a lady ..when said to a woman. Like be more gracious.
    Oh oh, you're confusing your right on think. Be more like a lady eh? Oh you'd be roasted for that and no amount of claiming the "cis" stuff would save you from the need to repent. Ten decades of the rosary for you. And do not sin again.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »

Oh oh, you're confusing your right on think. Be more like a lady eh? Oh you'd be roasted for that and no amount of claiming the "cis" stuff would save you from the need to repent. Ten decades of the rosary for you. And do not sin again.
    I am ashamed to say ..i have often been reminded to act more like a lady ..and usually it was justified. I mean genuinely ..not just to put you in your place.

I have no idea what the other stuff you wrote means.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Clearly.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I’ve been personally insulted with “cis” as a slur, on there very Boards, by someone who believes that men are just as much women as I am and I must move aside for them.

A slur is a something that is likely to damage your image in the eyes of your audience.

Its usually aimed at oppressed minorities.

It is by definition untrue. Its an allegation or insinuation.

Or it sometimes uses words associated with such insinuations.

They are also historically used as slurs. In fact they must be used quite some time before being recognized as slurs.

Slurs betray in the speaker of them a lack of compassion and respect. The very WORD itself must be representative to the whole group of disrespect. NOT just the speakers attitude ..but the WORD itself.

Firstly cis is true about you....you are cis sexed. There is no allegation.

Secondly the word has no history of being used pejoratively .

You are not an oppressed minority. And this word doesn't relate to any thing about you that might be vulnerable or oppressed..or SENSITIVE..or be considered reasonably sensitive by a member of your group.

Therefore i submit to you...you have no grounds for calling it a slur. And if you were to take a case to court lets say if someone in work used this term. It would not be accepted in a court of law as a 'slur'

And in fact a lay person would not think of the term cis as a slur either.

You have no grounds to call it such.

One person calling you that with a mean attitude ...doesn't make it a slur.

The word itself did not betray the attitude of the speaker toward you did it? No it couldn't have as many people use it about themselves not intending to offend or insult you.

Its not the word. Therefore the word itself is not a slur. It has not historically been a slur. And its not alluding to something sensitive about you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I don't think it's a slur exactly, but i also think it's a ridiculous unnecessary addition. I'm a man, i'm not a cis man, or a biological man, or a born male, or a testicle owner or any bollox like that. Man is fine, just man nothing else.

If you really want to insist on prefixing it, may i suggest "onehelluva":D

"onehelluva":D
    one and only :)

A slur is a something that is likely to damage your image in the eyes of your audience.

Its usually aimed at oppressed minorities.

It is by definition untrue. Its an allegation or insinuation.

Or it sometimes uses words associated with such insinuations.

They are also historically used as slurs. In fact they must be used quite some time before being recognized as slurs.

Slurs betray in the speaker of them a lack of compassion and respect. The very WORD itself must be representative to the whole group of disrespect. NOT just the speakers attitude ..but the WORD itself.

Firstly cis is true about you....you are cis sexed. There is no allegation.

Secondly the word has no history of being used pejoratively .

You are not an oppressed minority. And this word doesn't relate to any thing about you that might be vulnerable or oppressed..or SENSITIVE..or be considered reasonably sensitive by a member of your group.

Therefore i submit to you...you have no grounds for calling it a slur. And if you were to take a case to court lets say if someone in work used this term. It would not be accepted in a court of law as a 'slur'

And in fact a lay person would not think of the term cis as a slur either.

You have no grounds to call it such.

One person calling you that with a mean attitude ...doesn't make it a slur.

The word itself did not betray the attitude of the speaker toward you did it? No it couldn't have as many people use it about themselves not intending to offend or insult you.

Its not the word. Therefore the word itself is not a slur. It has not historically been a slur. And its not alluding to something sensitive about you.

I’m done with you. You do not get to tell me what can and cannot offend me.

I’m offended by having to share a personal space with a penis. I’m not averse to a penis but I’d like to buy it’s owner a drink first, not have it next to me in the gym.

Not oppressed ?? Tell that to women who have to suffer the indignity of losing jobs, scholarships, college places etc to men who think growing their hair makes them women. It does not.

I’m not ****ing cis anything - I’m a WOMAN.

You want to support lads playing dress up - have at it but don’t expect us to change, women have been around forever and we’re the same as we always were.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,117 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Cis.
    What a stupid invented term.

I’m done with you. You do not get to tell me what can and cannot offend me.

I’m offended by having to share a personal space with a penis. I’m not averse to a penis but I’d like to buy it’s owner a drink first, not have it next to me in the gym.

Not oppressed ?? Tell that to women who have to suffer the indignity of losing jobs, scholarships, college places etc to men who think growing their hair makes them women. It does not.

I’m not ****ing cis anything - I’m a WOMAN.

You want to support lads playing dress up - have at it but don’t expect us to change, women have been around forever and we’re the same as we always were.

I am also a cis sexed woman. Born that way bleeding from the crotch etc :)

I go to college and deal with what comes. I go to work and deal with what comes.

I have no issue with the word. I DONT expect you to use it.

I don't pretend to say what can offend you. You are a human being with your own feelings and sensitivities.

I am telling you however you cannot pretend to yourself that the word cis is a slur. And you can't pretend to others either.

Its not.

You have just however demonstrated JUST the kind of attitude that is behind slurs yourself.

There is not anything a transperson could do for YOU to offer them even the most basic respect.

You just used dehumanizing language.

Yet you complain about slurs.

That explains it :) - you were dealing with an idiot.

I wouln't base my understanding of such a word on a post on boards.

Cis.
    It means on this side of ..as opposed to trans ..meaning the 'OTHER' side of ...

Cisgendered ...this side of their birth gender

Trans ...the other or opposite side of their birth gender.

Quite poetic really. :) When you know.

That explains it :) - you were dealing with an idiot.

I wouln't base my understanding of such a word on a post on boards.
    The person could have been a troll and not trans at all. Or joking.

Cis.
    To be fair, all terms are invented. It's whether they prove to be useful and are taken up more widely marks the difference for the most part. The cis bollocks is just the jargoned rantings of a progressive(where it suits) intersectional(ditto) self indulgent, self involved imported from US college campuses of a tiny minority of those educated beyond their capacities, egged on by an equally tiny minority of old hippie lecturers hanging onto a purpose. Such minority demographics of any stripe love their jargon as part of the groupthink. Media types tend to repeat this kind of thing in the lifestyle sections as these days journalists - and I use the term advisedly - who write such pieces usually come from the same nursery. And it sells clicks. Both to the believers who believe in the daftness and the WTF!! types who love to be wound up by the same daftness. Likely more of the latter. QV the Daily Mail. The most popular news site on the planet(god help us). It thrives on two things; brassy slappers of no discernable talent "sporting their bikini ready curves" or "baby bumps" and revving up the "World has gone pc MAD!!" types. Handily covering both the ChickThink and BroScience audiences.

I'd certainly not take it as any insult. Maybe to my intelligence.

Wibbs wrote: »
    To be fair, all terms are invented. It's whether they prove to be useful and are taken up more widely marks the difference for the most part. The cis bollocks is just the jargoned rantings of a progressive(where it suits) intersectional(ditto) self indulgent, self involved imported from US college campuses of a tiny minority of those educated beyond their capacities, egged on by an equally tiny minority of old hippie lecturers hanging onto a purpose. Such minority demographics of any stripe love their jargon as part of the groupthink. Media types tend to repeat this kind of thing in the lifestyle sections as these days journalists - and I use the term advisedly - who write such pieces usually come from the same nursery. And it sells clicks. Both to the believers who believe in the daftness and the WTF!! types who love to be wound up by the same daftness. Likely more of the latter. QV the Daily Mail. The most popular news site on the planet(god help us). It thrives on two things; brassy slappers of no discernable talent "sporting their bikini ready curves" or "baby bumps" and revving up the "World has gone pc MAD!!" types. Handily covering both the ChickThink and BroScience audiences.

I'd certainly not take it as any insult. Maybe to my intelligence.

“Debuting her baby bump” makes me borderline homicidal!!!!

• Advertisement

It means on this side of ..as opposed to trans ..meaning the 'OTHER' side of ...

Cisgendered ...this side of their birth gender

Trans ...the other or opposite side of their birth gender.

Quite poetic really. :) When you know.

Well ain't everyday a school day.

I didn't know that's what it meant, i assumed it was some scientific shorthand or other.

It's still very much unnecessary though in my opinion, if something hasn't been altered you don't really need to state that. You only need to point out that a change has occurred, not that it hasn't!

I didn't know that's what it meant, i assumed it was some scientific shorthand or other.

It's still very much unnecessary though in my opinion, if something hasn't been altered you don't really need to state that. You only need to point out that a change has occurred, not that it hasn't!

Transphobe !!!!!

J/k - but imagine there’ll be someone along soon to tell you that you’re literally dehumanizing trans people!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

The intended usage of cis should be quite clear - to make the cis and trans to be both real genders. Otherwise, between a woman and a trans-woman it will be implied that only the woman is a real woman, and the trans-woman is some kind of special type of woman, and we can't have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

So you can't argue so you just attack me?

:pac:

I am not woke by the way.

I think the right are woke ...only woke to realizing their lives didn't turn out as they hoped. Not you personally. But many online. You can tell they are just unhappy with their lives generally.

Nobody who is "woke" would call themselves woke. Enlightened is a favoured term among the woke. The nasty ones just think everyone not in agreement with their thoughts are bigoted racist, blindly religious anti LGBT cavemen.

Woke exists on both sides, but it is mainly leftist ideology where woke finds itself most comfortable.

I tend not to assume ones happiness by taking notes on a few online posts, but I do wonder about how someone has the time to have an average post count in the mid twenties for example. Sure, some might post 50 times in a day, but not on average. Could be quite unhealthy depending on the topics being "discussed".
    Not at all. I don't think I am aiding anyone.

But online ....in certain circles ..people can't see you ...they don't know you are cis sexed.

I would rather people know.

If this was a forum where there were many non binary people and trans people you might feel like using it too.

Online, I couldn't care what gender, race, or age I am to the viewer. I don't care what religion, or none they think I belong to unless it's relevant to the discussion and that information is being provided by me.

I personally think the whole multi-fluid gender thing is a load of horseh!te, but i'm entitled to my beliefs and my opinions and i'm entitled not to have to expand my vocabulary to include hundreds of genders and variations. The whole "cis" label is a load of bollix too and any man or woman who is born into a male/female body and identifies with the gender 99.999% of people would assume that person to be, then it's quite frankly ridiculous to apply "cis" to those people when clearly most of them have never even heard the word "cis" and probably think you are saying "cyst".

Now that i've put that out there, I should add that I respect what others think and believe, even if I think it's horsesh!t. They are entitled to their opinions and beliefs too. Where I draw the line, is when the thought police come in and tell us what we can and can't think. When offence is taken where it was not intended....and especially when the offense is taken on behalf of someone else. Christ on a bike, I am watching the world go mad.

Question to you. What are your views on the Johnny Depp libel case that was ruled against him in the UK? Do you think the Judge made the right call?

Stay Free

Cordell wrote: »
    The intended usage of cis should be quite clear - to make the cis and trans to be both real genders. Otherwise, between a woman and a trans-woman it will be implied that only the woman is a real woman, and the trans-woman is some kind of special type of woman, and we can't have that.

Cis and trans are prefixes, not genders.

Take that up with the Romans who created the c language.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,071 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Transphobe !!!!!

J/k - but imagine there’ll be someone along soon to tell you that you’re literally dehumanizing trans people!!

I've lost track of the number of phobes i supposedly am - which is quite surprising because i'd honestly say you'd struggle to find another person anywhere, (man or woman, cis or trans:D) who cares less about what other people get up to, i'm about as live and let live as it gets!

If you want to alter your gender, have at it - i couldn't care less, honestly. But don't then act all traumatised because i don't care enough to alter my language and learn a bunch of fúcking idiotic pronouns for example. I told you from the start i didn't care, what exactly did you take that to mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

Cis and trans are prefixes, not genders.

Sure, but you know what I wanted to say so maybe let's discuss that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

silverharp wrote: »

It’s always universities peddling this stuff. The fact a 3rd Level institution is saying “don’t challenge something” is, to me, the height of irony.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement