Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The problem with the Millwall BLM booing is that the club and its fans have a long standing reputation for racism.

So no matter how legitimate the stand against kneeling for BLM, having that message delivered by Millwall is like writing a fantastic speech condemning all of the legitimate issues of BLM - Marxism, anti-family, anti-capitalism etc, and then having the speech delivered by David Duke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Not my perception.

If you don't like something ..ignore it. Booing just makes you look triggered.

And I assume you’d give the same advice to the BLM asshats???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The BLM playbook is based on big loud displays, to keep people's attention on them.. which is hard to do with covid, and the US elections. No doubt they'll start making destructive gestures again in a major way soon.

I suspect the crap going on with sports and the demand to show "solidarity" is coming from the woke crowd, and those wanting to cash in by showing their virtue, rather than BLM.

It doesn't really matter though. Neither BLM nor the woke crowd, can allow differing opinions because their own opinions are so flimsy. So, it comes down to group control, conveying guilt, etc.

They’ve done well in terms of PR up to this... the Premier League thing was quite a coup for them. But I’d imagine now a lot of clubs and indeed players will be thinking about next season going.. “ ok, this whole BLM thing, did my bit but the road they are steering towards now isn’t an association to be comfortable with, so enough.. “

Strumms wrote: »
    They’ve done well in terms of PR up to this... the Premier League thing was quite a coup for them. But I’d imagine now a lot of clubs and indeed players will be thinking about next season going.. “ ok, this whole BLM thing, did my bit but the road they are steering towards now isn’t an association to be comfortable with, so enough.. “

It should have ended last season but tbh it should have been a one off. It’s like the poppies - forced capitulation to a cause is meaningless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

DrPhilG wrote: »
    The problem with the Millwall BLM booing is that the club and its fans have a long standing reputation for racism.

So no matter how legitimate the stand against kneeling for BLM, having that message delivered by Millwall is like writing a fantastic speech condemning all of the legitimate issues of BLM - Marxism, anti-family, anti-capitalism etc, and then having the speech delivered by David Duke.

I'm more focussing on Dion Dublin's words.
    The absolute cheek and stupidity of him and the recklessness of what he espoused.
    Of course, Linekar was in like Flynn.
    Let's hope there is a vaccine pronto for this malignancy.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    The absolute cheek and stupidity of him and the recklessness of what he espoused.

Oh it’s incurable!! I asked once why the NHS and key workers got a thank you once and the taking the knee bollocks was ongoing.

“Your privilege is showing”. Eh ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,856 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Whoy has male sport being over run with female analysts yet there's zero males going the same way analysing female sport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Gervais08 wrote: »
    It should have ended last season but tbh it should have been a one off. It’s like the poppies - forced capitulation to a cause is meaningless.

It should....

Problem is... the BLM playbook will attack whomever is the person or persons who end up being the catalyst for its ending... they shot themselves in the foot basically by not saying when it was to end and sticking to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,710 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I know! A black man having an opinion on an anti anti-racism sentiment - how dare he?!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

COVID wrote: »
    D'Arcy - Kildare
    Dustin used o slag him off, the only good thing to ever come out of Kildare was the road out of it :D

Oh the new Plenty advert - put on by woke committee.

“Men are useless” ugh it drives me mad!!!

Men are useless but also men are controlling the world through a carefully constructed capitalist, patriarchal, white male system of oppression. Despite discrimination being illegal in most countries. The mental gymnastics required is something special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Not that men arent all those things, but I'd very surprised if an ad appeared on your television that hadn't been approved by a (straight white old) man somewhere along the line,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

CountNjord wrote: »
    Actually a lot of people I know who poured a bucket of water and ice over their heads were woke boloxes

Spent a good ten minutes on the floor with a stitch after reading that. Mouthful of Lager projectiled luckily over the Laptop.

I was on the Luas yesterday and to pass the time I pondered if there were many Woke Boloxes on it. I counted 14.

Thanks for the laugh btw, I loved it. From now on I am replacing niceties like " you daft bugger " or " come here to me ya great big heep of a thing " etc etc with " Ah look who it is , if it only isn't the woke aul bollocks himself?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

IAMAMORON wrote:
    I was on the Luas yesterday and to pass the time I pondered if there were many Woke Boloxes on it. I counted 14.

You wouldn't be judgemental or anything, would you?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    You wouldn't be judgemental or anything, would you?

I actually am, well spotted. I am extremely unwoke and compartmentalise anything that moves. I then give them all derogatory names and scoff to myself about how smart I am and then get sad when I realise that everyone is a bit different.

I might try to learn a foreign language, I hear the birds in French class are fairly randy and promiscuous. Even the foreigners.

In this life you are either pro Sandinista or anti Sandinista, they're really isn't any middle ground.... even though that entire country is slap bang in the middle of it. Even Bono sang about it, I rate him as a singer and the godfather of Woke. He was championing the underdog when the Bushes were plotting world domination.

As I said , it takes all sorts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

But I wasn't really talking about the front of camera talent, where do the rest of the workers come from? Where are RTE jobs even advertised?

You don't know where they come from, yet they all come from select postcodes?

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I actually am, well spotted. I am extremely unwoke and compartmentalise anything that moves. I then give them all derogatory names and scoff to myself about how smart I am and then get sad when I realise that everyone is a bit different.

I might try to learn a foreign language, I hear the birds in French class are fairly randy and promiscuous. Even the foreigners.

In this life you are either pro Sandinista or anti Sandinista, they're really isn't any middle ground.... even though that entire country is slap bang in the middle of it. Even Bono sang about it, I rate him as a singer and the godfather of Woke. He was championing the underdog when the Bushes were plotting world domination.

When you’re painting, always crack a window for ventilation - or that is the result.

fair play ta yea, maybe the world does need arseholes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Well, you see, you didn't have the link in the first one, then you called them "wokies". Then you refered to protesting as a "woke activity". And lastly, you linked to a sun article.

So not easy to tell what the truth is here - for all I know, it could be the wall of a barber's in Mayo.

Wokie mugshots are all over the internet if the Sun offends you. I personally enjoy its mocking tone on this subject.

Protesting is most certainly a Woke activity. Considering there hasn't been much to protest about in decades. Wokies poor grasp of reality along being vulnerable to manipulation does make them useful idiots, for more powerful interests.

Take your point about a Mayo barber wall.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    fair play ta yea, maybe the world does need arseholes

It does for obvious reasons.

If there were no arseholes we couldn't survive, your lower intestines would explode.

Everyone needs an arsehole, deep down.

• Advertisement

It does for obvious reasons.

If there were no arseholes we couldn't survive, your lower intestines would explode.

Everyone needs an arsehole, deep down.

so they can sh1t on others i guess

I know! A black man having an opinion on an anti anti-racism sentiment - how dare he?!
    A dope saying everyone is racist if they don't believe in an organisation called Black Lives Matter.
    That helps solve actual problems - in idiotworld.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,710 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Biker79 wrote: »
    Wokie mugshots are all over the internet if the Sun offends you. I personally enjoy its mocking tone on this subject.

Protesting is most certainly a Woke activity. Considering there hasn't been much to protest about in decades. Wokies poor grasp of reality along being vulnerable to manipulation does make them useful idiots, for more powerful interests.

Take your point about a Mayo barber wall.

So, no matter what the government does or doesn't do, you're happy to accept it willingly and just read the sun.

Reminds me of the bit in Malcom in the middle when Reece joins the army.

Reese : I just stopped thinking. I figured out that using my brain was the whole problem, not just here, but my entire life. If I just do exactly what I'm told, and nothing else, then everything gets easy. It's not even a question of smart or dumb. You just turn yourself into a tool. I'm much happier that way. I'm the world's happiest tool.

Sgt. Hendrix : You must be proud of yourself, son.

Reese : I don't know if I am or not. I'm waiting for you to tell me.

Sgt. Hendrix : [his voice begins to break with emotion] My God! A soldier like you comes along once in a thousand years.

A dope saying everyone is racist if they don't believe in an organisation called Black Lives Matter.
    That helps solve actual problems - in idiotworld.

See that’s the problem - Kick It Out and Show Racism the Red Card were laudable and effective campaigns against racism and discrimination in football.

BLM is “anti-racism”. But that’s not a good thing. Anti-racism is a whole new school of thought - promoted by the likes of that dreadful Ebun Joseph sort, where racism is seen EVERYWHERE.

See or hear racism ? Stamp it out - great.

Assume it pervades every single aspect of society and “taking the knee” is mandatory ?? Bollocks and solves nothing.

So, no matter what the government does or doesn't do, you're happy to accept it willingly and just read the sun.

Reminds me of the bit in Malcom in the middle when Reece joins the army.

Reese : I just stopped thinking. I figured out that using my brain was the whole problem, not just here, but my entire life. If I just do exactly what I'm told, and nothing else, then everything gets easy. It's not even a question of smart or dumb. You just turn yourself into a tool. I'm much happier that way. I'm the world's happiest tool.

Sgt. Hendrix : You must be proud of yourself, son.

Reese : I don't know if I am or not. I'm waiting for you to tell me.

Sgt. Hendrix : [his voice begins to break with emotion] My God! A soldier like you comes along once in a thousand years.

Perfect summing up of what passes for critical thinking among the achingly woke crowd these days.

Perfect summing up of what passes for critical thinking among the achingly woke crowd these days.
    It is to a tee.

OH, I agree. The sentiments of 'woke' and those of the poster I was replying to are similarly blindly thoughless and ignorant.

They've a lot more in common than they think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Striking illustration on this week's New Yorker. Ostensibly, it depicts life during the lockdown in NYC.

Taking a closer look, the laptop is propped up by books ( their only value in this image ), cats instead of people ( wokies tend to prefer animals to humans ) a vial of prescription drugs for probable mental health problems, amazon delivery box, a chaotic lifestyle. The woman depicted is more concerned with her presence and appearance on social media than her grim reality.

Lockdown life or an indictment of Woke internet culture?

EoGf6EwW4AACDkO?format=jpg&name=medium

See that’s the problem - Kick It Out and Show Racism the Red Card were laudable and effective campaigns against racism and discrimination in football.

BLM is “anti-racism”. But that’s not a good thing. Anti-racism is a whole new school of thought - promoted by the likes of that dreadful Ebun Joseph sort, where racism is seen EVERYWHERE.

Assume it pervades every single aspect of society and “taking the knee” is mandatory ?? Bollocks and solves nothing.

The (usually warranted) criticism I often hear of these protests is that they never come up with an alternative idea themselves, so tell me: how would you go about raising awareness of and eradicating racism (assuming you beleive it exists) in sport?

The (usually warranted) criticism I often hear of these protests is that they never come up with an alternative idea themselves, so tell me: how would you go about raising awareness of and eradicating racism (assuming you beleive it exists) in sport?

You encourage people to enforce the law, and leave it to the authorities to follow up on. Societies take time to adjust to changes in perception, and forcing change on those who are racist will only reinforce their beliefs, especially if they feel that they're entitled to that belief. As society changes around them, they'll gradually lose the belief in being racist because being isolated isn't particularly nice, so they'll conform naturally.

There's always going to be some racism in sport. For soccer, it'll be the fans who shout rubbish comments out at players, but in all likelihood, those same fans, after the game, don't pursue any racism themselves, because it's easy to do so as part of a mob, and less easy as an individual (when society is against it). With time, the mob will change because they're all exposed to society's will on the matter of racism. It might take a few years or a decade but, it'll happen.

The push to destroy racism is a lot like the war on Terror. It can't be completed, because you're fighting an idea. The problem is when you push hard against that idea, you run the risk of stimulating support for that idea. It also ignores the very real changes in demographics, and the feelings many people have about their situations (and the actions of that racial group, the racism is directed towards).

For example, we're likely to see racism towards black people rise in Europe, because Africans often end up at the bottom of society, and on welfare supports. That will affect the opinions of some people, encouraging feelings of superiority, or anger over increasingly large numbers of black people being on welfare over time. Or we'll likely see a growth of racism directed towards Arabs over Islam, and the reactions to the Muhammad cartoons, and the terrorism in France/Europe.

To reduce racism we have to recognise what's going on, and consider how we can affect the drivers that encourage that racism to grow. Not simply tell everyone that it's bad, and then, expect them to change irrespective of what's happening to people.

• Advertisement

I’ve literally described that in my post. Read it.

Your fallacy here is in thinking that taking a knee is about combating racism - it's not - it's about raising awareness of it and highlihging the problem. A lot of people don't seem to beleive that there is a problem or that it's not a major issue.

You encourage people to enforce the law, and leave it to the authorities to follow up on. Societies take time to adjust to changes in perception, and forcing change on those who are racist will only reinforce their beliefs, especially if they feel that they're entitled to that belief. As society changes around them, they'll gradually lose the belief in being racist because being isolated isn't particularly nice, so they'll conform naturally.

What do you do when the law and the authorities ARE the problem or don't see the problem?
    There's always going to be some racism in sport. For soccer, it'll be the fans who shout rubbish comments out at players, but in all likelihood, those same fans, after the game, don't pursue any racism themselves, because it's easy to do so as part of a mob, and less easy as an individual (when society is against it). With time, the mob will change because they're all exposed to society's will on the matter of racism. It might take a few years or a decade but, it'll happen.

Accepted, but this has been going on for 40 years in soccer and and it hasn't gone away. What do you expect a few more years or another decade to change? Black players are still saying they are experiencing racism. Are you telling them they are wrong? Or to just tolerate it for a decade or so?
    The push to destroy racism is a lot like the war on Terror. It can't be completed, because you're fighting an idea. The problem is when you push hard against that idea, you run the risk of stimulating support for that idea. It also ignores the very real changes in demographics, and the feelings many people have about their situations (and the actions of that racial group, the racism is directed towards).

As can be seen from this thread.
    For example, we're likely to see racism towards black people rise in Europe, because Africans often end up at the bottom of society, and on welfare supports. That will affect the opinions of some people, encouraging feelings of superiority, or anger over increasingly large numbers of black people being on welfare over time. Or we'll likely see a growth of racism directed towards Arabs over Islam, and the reactions to the Muhammad cartoons, and the terrorism in France/Europe.

To reduce racism we have to recognise what's going on, and consider how we can affect the drivers that encourage that racism to grow. Not simply tell everyone that it's bad, and then, force them to change irrespective of what's happening to people.

Do YOU see what's going on? And if so, why is your attitue to just passively wait it out and do nothing?

I’ve literally described that in my post. Read it.

What, this?!

Your fallacy here is in thinking that taking a knee is about combating racism - it's not - it's about raising awareness of it and highlihging the problem. A lot of people don't seem to beleive that there is a problem or that it's not a major issue.

Nope. The fallacy is equating taking the knee with raising awareness about racism. Taking the knee is in association with BLM as a focus point in the fight against racism.

I'm completely against BLM as a group. And as such, I would refuse to bend the knee because it gives them credibility and the impression of support for them.
    What do you do when the law and the authorities ARE the problem or don't see the problem?

If they are the problem, they'll be changed due to social change, because this is not China or Russia. And don't see the problem? Nah. I doubt that...
    Accepted, but this has been going on for 40 years in soccer and and it hasn't gone away. What do you expect a few more years or another decade to change? Black players are still saying they are experiencing racism. Are you telling them they are wrong? Or to just tolerate it for a decade or so?

Ahh well in some cases, they'll be saying it because it gives them a platform to air their own agendas. There are advantages to being a discriminated against minority. In other cases, there will be genuine racism directed towards them.

I prefer to deal with reality. Change takes time to take effect.. and yes, they should report the racism to the authorities, until the racism has stopped.
    As can be seen from this thread.

Nope. I don't see it in this thread.
    Do YOU see what's going on? And if so, why is your attitue to just passively wait it out and do nothing?

Because I have no influence over immigration policies, the supports given to immigrants, nor any control over how integration of them is supposed to happen. I see what's happening, and I see the same mistakes being repeated.. but I don't have any power to change them.

And I don't believe joining the mob in opposition will do anything to change that, because the mob will promote their own views, many of which I disagree with.

BTW. I said nothing about passively waiting. You're seeking to steer the topic, and I find that rather... meh.

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/club-statement-taking-the-knee/

'Taking the knee' is pathetic.
    And to label 'anyone' who doesn't approve of it as racist is the most regressive, insidious thinking imaginable.
    It's lazy, it's media driven, it does fcuk all to address the issue.
    It lumps all black people into some kind of gloopy hivemind bullsh1t and all non-black people as the enemy but hey, it allows Sky 'Sports' the chance to flash another DOG onto the screen so they've done their bit.

Nope. The fallacy is equating taking the knee with raising awareness about racism. Taking the knee is in association with BLM as a focus point in the fight against racism.

Not entirely - it was started by Colin Kapernick as a personal protest. The BLM association came later.

If they are the problem, they'll be changed due to social change, because this is not China or Russia. And don't see the problem? Nah. I doubt that...
    No idea what you're trying to say here, but pretty sure it's not based on something I posted.

Anyway - how do you expect social change to come about if no one makes an effort to change it?
    Ahh well in some cases, they'll be saying it because it gives them a platform to air their own agendas. There are advantages to being a discriminated against minority. In other cases, there will be genuine racism directed towards them.
    Blameing the victim

[QUOTE}
    I prefer to deal with reality. Change takes time to take effect.. and yes, they should report the racism to the authorities, until the racism has stopped.
    [/QUOTE]

So again - sit back, do nothing, and complain about those who to bring about the social change being communist/maexist/whatever ignorant lable is flavour of the month; whaile waiting for social change to happen...? :confused:

Nope. I don't see it in this thread.
    Fair enough - misread your point.
    Because I have no influence over immigration policies, the supports given to immigrants, nor any control over how integration of them is supposed to happen. I see what's happening, and I see the same mistakes being repeated.. but I don't have any power to change them.

And I don't believe joining the mob in opposition will do anything to change that, because the mob will promote their own views, many of which I disagree with.

BTW. I said nothing about passively waiting. You're seeking to steer the topic, and I find that rather... meh.

You did.

i.e. - sit about and wait. Because ultimately, it's not a problem you face.

(Which is fine in itself - but how do you tell people for whom it IS a problem to "let the authorties do a job" (when the authorites are the ones breaking the law) and wait util "socitety changes around them and they gradually lose the belief")

"So you suffered a racial crime at the hands of the police - don't worrry, it'll be gone in a decade or so when the police get round to tackling the problem"?

What, this?!

No, nice selective quoting though.

Highly disingenuous posting style there. Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Native Americans never get a look in compared to BLM, they are swept under the carpet even though they have it much worse.

No, nice selective quoting though.

Highly disingenuous posting style there. Pathetic.

Here's your post in it's entirity.

Other than the third line, how have you "literally described [raising awareness of and eradicating racism] in my post" as you claimed to have done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Well, you see, you didn't have the link in the first one, then you called them "wokies". Then you refered to protesting as a "woke activity". And lastly, you linked to a sun article.

So not easy to tell what the truth is here - for all I know, it could be the wall of a barber's in Mayo.

Not seeing much Mayo colours in those hairstyles, I'm seeing more Westmeath, Dublin, Wexford, Armagh. We've still got James Dean types on our barber walls down here :P

Here's your post in it's entirity.

Other than the third line, how have you "literally described [raising awareness of and eradicating racism] in my post" as you claimed to have done?

I hate the lame tactic of being deliberate obtuse. It’s like talking to a ****ing toddler.

The campaigns being successfully run such as Kick It Out should be left to get on with their goals. They are helping.

This ****e is not. Nor are you. I’m done trying to talk to a wall.

I hate the lame tactic of being deliberate obtuse. It’s like talking to a ****ing toddler.

The campaigns being successfully run such as Kick It Out should be left to get on with their goals. They are helping.

So.. in other words awareness campains are better than awareness campaigns.

And you think YOU'RE the one talking to a brick wall?

Not entirely - it was started by Colin Kapernick as a personal protest. The BLM association came later.

It doesn't matter where it started.. it matters where it currently is. ie. a direct association with BLM.
    No idea what you're trying to say here, but pretty sure it's not based on something I posted.

Anyway - how do you expect social change to come about if no one makes an effort to change it?

I quoted your piece. It was in response to your point about the authorities not seeing the problem.

Social change regarding racism, and what is acceptable behavior, has been happening for decades already.
    Blameing the victim

Nope. Recognising that people will use the advantages available to them. Sorry.. I don't believe everyone is honest, and I do believe that many people who play the race card, or discrimination card, are doing so for the benefits it gains them.
    So again - sit back, do nothing, and complain about those who to bring about the social change being communist/maexist/whatever ignorant lable is flavour of the month; whaile waiting for social change to happen...? :confused:

I've no problem with change. I have a problem with short sighted attempts at change that generate more support for the problem involved, especially when it involves generating hostility against those who don't immediately fall into line.

And I place my trust in the authorities to enforce the laws that exist. A person who is discriminated against can engage the law for protection. Official complaints and processes, increase statistics and puts things on formal record, which encourages the authorities to deal with any problems involved.
    You did.

Huh? You sure you haven't misread my point again?
    ii.e. - sit about and wait. Because ultimately, it's not a problem you face.

(Which is fine in itself - but how do you tell people for whom it IS a problem to "let the authorties do a job" (when the authorites are the ones breaking the law) and wait util "socitety changes around them and they gradually lose the belief")

"So you suffered a racial crime at the hands of the police - don't worrry, it'll be gone in a decade or so when the police get round to tackling the problem"?

Ahh well.. it's not a problem I face? I tend to live in Asia where racism towards white people is common, so... yeah.. I've also experienced racism in Africa too.

Are you sure you're arguing with what I've written or what's in your own head? Because I'm seeing a lot of interjecting of ideas coming entirely from you, and which you're disagreeing with.

It doesn't matter where it started.. it matters where it currently is. ie. a direct association with BLM.
    So, because it got taken over by BLM, it's no longer about rasiing awareness of racism..?
    I quoted your piece. It was in response to your point about the authorities not seeing the problem.
    The one that had nothing to do with China or Russia?
    Social change regarding racism, and what is acceptable behavior, has been happening for decades already.
    And you point is...?
    Nope. Recognising that people will use the advantages available to them. Sorry.. I don't believe everyone is honest, and I do believe that many people who play the race card, or discrimination card, are doing so for the benefits it gains them.
    Nor do I. But assuming it's automatically a case of using advantages such as the discrimination card is definitely blaming the victim.
    I've no problem with change. I have a problem with short sighted attempts at change that generate more support for the problem involved, especially when it involves generating hostility against those who don't immediately fall into line.

Never said you did. Your attidutde is that, while it's not a problem that effects you, you don't care about whether it changes or not or how long it takes.
    And I place my trust in the authorities to enforce the laws that exist. A person who is discriminated against can engage the law for protection. Official complaints and processes, increase statistics and puts things on formal record, which encourages the authorities to deal with any problems involved.
    We're going around in circles. You're assuming that the autorites are not racist. If that was the case, there'd be no such things as BLM or taking the knee. They were born - effectively or otherwise - by police forces using excess violence and killing black people. Why would a black person go to an authority who had just beaten up a black suspect? Why would they trust someone else in authority to behave any differently?

Huh? You sure you haven't misread my point again?
    Passively waiting.
    Ahh well.. it's not a problem I face? I tend to live in Asia where racism towards white people is common, so... yeah.. I've also experienced racism in Africa too.

Are you sure you're arguing with what I've written or what's in your own head? Because I'm seeing a lot of interjecting of ideas coming entirely from you, and which you're disagreeing with.

Have you actually been the victim of a racial crime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

BBC football commentator suspended for describing a scuffle between players as 'Handbags'

https://punditarena.com/football/oisinmcqueirns2758/bbc-suspend-pundit-comment/

Viewers raised concerns over that? What's wrong with it? Does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Viewers raised concerns over that? What's wrong with it? Does anyone know?

No idea.

The turnover of careers due to fake controversies has added to empoyment insecurity imo. Although most people don't lose their job over fake controversies but they're aware that they could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Common enough tactic, deliberate obtuseness and attempt to redfine commonly accepted terms.

Of course the initiatives within soccer were just that, inititiaves within soccer to tackle racism within soccer, not a political movement like Black Lives Matter shoe horning themselves into an issue, in classic Marxist entryist fashion

If players were bending knees for a "We love Britain" campaign spearheaded by Tommy Robinson who was declaring that anyone that didnt bend a knee must not love Britain then you'd have a perfect counter example as to what BLM is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

growleaves wrote: »
    No idea.

The turnover of careers due to fake controversies has added to empoyment insecurity imo. Although most people don't lose their job over fake controversies but they're aware that they could.

Hey, if someone makes a racist, homophobic or misogynistic comment I've no problem with them being pulled up for it. Even, if not especially, when it was once the kind of comment considered harmless back in their day and not intended to offend by the commentator. We all need to be reminded to watch our language from time to time and those of from the 1970s and earlier have a wealth of expressions on the tips of our tongues that aren't intended to offend but do so by reinforcing negative stereotypes. We do need telling sometimes why it's 'not ok to say that', learn our lesson and apologise. But 'handbags'? Who does that offend? Aggressive old ladies?

So, because it got taken over by BLM, it's no longer about rasiing awareness of racism..?

Sure, it is... but that's not the point. It generates the perception of support for BLM... and seeks to punish those who don't bend the knee. Many people will be happy to promote awareness about racism, but not support BLM, which has too many political connections... associations that those people don't want to support.
    The one that had nothing to do with China or Russia?

Being that social change directly affects the laws of the land... Whereas in China/Russia, the opposite is true.

And you put two different points within a single sentence. Which I responded to.
    And you point is...?

That it doesn't need this sudden outburst such as you're doing right now, suggesting that people need to take action about it, otherwise they're part of the problem.

Racism in Ireland is already completely unacceptable. The same can be said for most European countries, or there is definite movement towards that acceptance.
    Nor do I. But assuming it's automatically a case of using advantages such as the discrimination card is definitely blaming the victim.

You're seeking a black/white declaration. Which is why you can't accept nuance.
    Never said you did. Your attidutde is that, while it's not a problem that effects you, you don't care about whether it changes or not or how long it takes.

I really don't need you to tell me what my attitude is... it's right up there where I wrote it. I also don't need you to reinterpret what I've said...

Because that's precisely what you've just done.
    We're going around in circles. You're assuming that the autorites are not racist. If that was the case, there'd be no such things as BLM or taking the knee. They were born - effectively or otherwise - by police forces using excess violence and killing black people. Why would a black person go to an authority who had just beaten up a black suspect? Why would they trust someone else in authority to behave any differently?

We're going around in circles because you keep making assumptions based on nothing I've said. I didn't say that authorities were not racist, nor did I say that they were racist. You introduced that all by yourself... after the fact.

I wonder do you really understand what we're talking about here, because you're constantly shifting goalposts and the parameters of the conversation.
    Passively waiting.

Actively reinterpreting everything to suit your worldview.. :rolleyes:
    Have you actually been the victim of a racial crime?

Yes. I have in a variety of countries, from assault to discrimination. Have you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Players “taking the knee” only a few weeks after paying tribute to those who took part in Britain’s murderous race wars.

And the problem are the fans who booed this nonsense?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement