Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

silverharp wrote: »

This comes up every year without fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

RWCNT wrote: »

Whenever Ian Dempsey used to play Monty Python’s ‘Always Look on the Bright Side of Life’ there’d be a “beep” in place of the word shít.

Could they not just do the same for ‘Fairytale’? I mean, I’d much rather listen to the original with a tiny edit than a terrible cover version, or not at all.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

RWCNT wrote: »

The ratio though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,014 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

biko wrote: »
    Can't wait for the wokest article this Christmas.

2018 it must have been this
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/sex/men-should-give-wives-permission-infidelity-christmas/

n574aj270pv31.png

I gave my wife a cheat pass last xmas, I still beat her in Scrabble

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ingalway

You need to think about how queer the woods are when you go walking. Don't be a nature bigot!
    https://twitter.com/SwipeWright/status/1329324204865437696?s=09

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ingalway wrote: »
    You need to think about how queer the woods are when you go walking. Don't be a nature bigot!
    "Queer ecology" :pac: we've hit peak retard people.

hank_scorpio_.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    "Queer ecology" :pac: we've hit peak retard people.

hank_scorpio_.jpg

You can't say that wibbs..

Some of those gay trees could be retarded too..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Actually "retard" is an interesting example of how words can be added to the Church of the Latter Day Offended's catechism. Ten years ago it was a huge meme off the back of a mainstream Hollywood blockbuster, today that script would be cut to pieces and "retard" is sooo despicable and verboten. On the other hand idiot, imbecile, moron, feeble minded while hardly polite wouldn't raise an eyebrow, yet just like retard all words once used to medically describe those with intellectual disabilities or conditions.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Alas, it's one of my favorite words.. :D Utterly retarded.. it just rolls off the tongue so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,014 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Alas, it's one of my favorite words.. :D Utterly retarded.. it just rolls off the tongue so easily.

I remember a poster who would be the type to give out about the word retard but his go to insult was imbecile , he probably never saw the irony there

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

silverharp wrote: »
    I remember a poster who would be the type to give out about the word retard but his go to insult was imbecile , he probably never saw the irony there

Sounds like a moron, or possibly an idiot:D

Sounds like a moron, or possibly an idiot:D

Absolute "tool".. wonder is that still allowed?

Actually "retard" is an interesting example of how words can be added to the Church of the Latter Day Offended's catechism. Ten years ago it was a huge meme off the back of a mainstream Hollywood blockbuster, today that script would be cut to pieces and "retard" is sooo despicable and verboten. On the other hand idiot, imbecile, moron, feeble minded while hardly polite wouldn't raise an eyebrow, yet just like retard all words once used to medically describe those with intellectual disabilities or conditions.

Exactly...I was going to start pulling people up on throwing around the word idiot on a thread over in CA a couple of weeks ago, but said I'd be wasting my time..

Yeah, can you still call someone a dope?..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

ingalway wrote: »

If you go down to the woods today, you're in for a big surprise

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/28/climate-change-enviromental-racism-america

Environmental racism is killing Americans of color. Climate change will make it worse

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

If you go down to the woods today, you're in for a big surprise

Cos every queer that ever there was....:D

You know it's true what they say about getting more and more confused as you get older - i'm only 46 and i just can't understand how i've ended up in a world were "coloured" is an insult but "queer" isn't, or where saying something as innoccous as "woman" can trigger whole sections of society.

By the time i'm 60 i'll be a real life Alf Garnet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Whenever Ian Dempsey used to play Monty Python’s ‘Always Look on the Bright Side of Life’ there’d be a “beep” in place of the word shít.

Could they not just do the same for ‘Fairytale’? I mean, I’d much rather listen to the original with a tiny edit than a terrible cover version, or not at all.

Yeah, I agree, it's my fave Christmas song. I've even heard people complain about what you've suggested. I don't get it. Are these same folks furious when they take the naughty words out of rap songs for a radio edit?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,615 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

That’s an insult to builders who use tools

• Registered Users Posts: 13,948 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I remember every day that I came home from school crying because I was bullied yet again. The advice of the time, and which seems to be lost to time, was "Sticks and stones may break your bones but names will never hurt you". Why are the words now more damaging than the physical action...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

I remember every day that I came home from school crying because I was bullied yet again. The advice of the time, and which seems to be lost to time, was "Sticks and stones may break your bones but names will never hurt you". Why are the words now more damaging than the physical action...

When you hear the phrase “your words are physical violence to me” - I want to shake that person so hard!!

Was it nice being called a fat cow for a decade or more in school ? No.

Was it worse than being jumped and having the **** kicked out of me so I still have scars ? Hell no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Words have always had the capacity to be insidiously damaging. I was bullied for a couple of years in secondary school. It was relentless, pretty much every day, but never physical. I never came home from school crying about it, partly because I knew I'd have to listen to the "sticks and stones..." crap, and partly because I naively believed that to be true. The effect it had on my confidence followed me into adulthood and I don't think I'm being over-dramatic when I say it ruined my life. It at least wasted twenty years of it.

I don't want to diminish people's experience of physical violence, but I would have preferred a daily kicking.

.anon. wrote: »

I don't want to diminish people's experience of physical violence, but I would have preferred a daily kicking.
    A woman I know who had been bullied mercilessly in secondary school, social exclusion, gossip etc, said the exact same thing to me. That she would have preferred to have gone to a boys school where getting thumps would have been more likely and easier to deal with.

I know someone whose daughter is going through this as we speak, with of course the added "bonus" of social media so she has little escape from it and it's really hurting her and affecting the rest of her daily life.

A kick in the bollocks heals much faster than a kick in the soul.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

A woman I know who had been bullied mercilessly in secondary school, social exclusion, gossip etc, said the exact same thing to me. That she would have preferred to have gone to a boys school where getting thumps would have been more likely and easier to deal with.

I know someone whose daughter is going through this as we speak, with of course the added "bonus" of social media so she has little escape from it and it's really hurting her and affecting the rest of her daily life.

Please don’t get me wrong - the psychological bullying was horrific and I do still have it with me.

I have no idea how hard it must be to be a kid now with social media - I could go home and leave it behind.

Apologies to anyone who thought I was diminishing it - far from it but the day I was jumped I thought I was going to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,615 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

TG4 will have an all female analysis and commentary team for a pro14 rugby game

Yup. Obviously there's fringe cases of cases of constant violence but even that's more psychological in its effects. Power and domination and all that jazz.
    Something I've been saying for years is that I can only see the "feminisation" of child rearing/schooling being a negative. Laying hands on someone is now seen as an absolutely massive deal in every circumstances. Even just 20-odd years ago when I was in primary school there'd be a punch or two thrown most lunchtimes and that was it. Now everything has to be a drama with feelings and motivations discussed and ridiculous emphasis on and importance placed on the thoughts of small children.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

IAMAMORON wrote: »

The Pogues didnt agree with folks of similar views of yourself, IAMAMORAN

533454.jpg

533455.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

The Pogues didnt agree with folks of similar views of yourself, IAMAMORAN

Or are they being protective of their interests? I'm sure their retirement plans are heavily reliant on the royalties from ' fairytale of new york '.

In entertainment circles, it makes sound business sense to bow to the woke brigade these days. F**king awful state of affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Even on International Men's Day, it needs to be all about women...

https://twitter.com/UN/status/1329441047940898817?s=19

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Biker79 wrote: »
    Or are they being protective of their interests? I'm sure their retirement plans are heavily reliant on the royalties from ' fairytale of new york '.

In entertainment circles, it makes sound business sense to bow to the woke brigade these days. F**king awful state of affairs.

Exactly.

It is a nice bit of free promotion and I would assume they are still getting paid royalties every time it is played out.

I think the Pogues are supposed to tell everyone to phuck off anyway. It is traditional really.

The next quandary will be when Tubridy gets them on the Late Late via Zoom call. Christ on a bike, I can only imagine seeing McGowan hooped out of it and screaming into his Laptop on Christmas week. I hope RTE send a team over to tidy his gaff, I would say it looks worse than a geriatric bachelors' in Hampstead.

Getting himself and his mother or Sinead O'Conzo to sing harmoniously together via a Zoom call could yet be the highlight of Ireland's Christmas, it sounds divine the more I think of it.

Love to see him mumbling Silent Night as well, with a naggin of brandy stuck in his jacket pocket and a straw reaching out, Christy Browne style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    TG4 will have an all female analysis and commentary team for a pro14 rugby game

Are they all female or self identified females

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement