Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    what? men giving birth or a pregnant?

Apparently men can get pregnant nowadays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Omackeral wrote: »
    They should use their favourite term POC or people of colour
    I just looked it up on the link in the tweet:
    [1] Ethnic minority individuals are commonly referred to as BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour) in the US and BAME (Black, Asian and Minority Ethnicity) in the UK.

Seems to be based on minorities in western societies
    Theres like an hour long video which you can watch for one course credit....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭AllForIt

murpho999 wrote: »
    "Woke" must be the most annoying term of recent times and people on boards seem to be obsessed about it.

Erm, you do realise the term "Woke' is a term of their own making, and if anyone is obsessed about it it is themselves. There wouldn't be anyone raising the subject here if they didn't exist in the first place. So you can hardly blame critics of Wokeisms for this mess, which I think is what you are suggesting in your brief statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

tenuous if woke or just mental, but they are linked, Alec Baldwin's wife has been pretending she is from Spain and only moved to the US to go to college but was born and bred in Boston.

https://twitter.com/gibsonoma/status/1343731503616942080

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Omackeral wrote: »
    I see Frankie Boyle is giving out to Ricky Gervais for his lack of respect towards trans people. This is the same Frankie Boyle who spent so much time making fun of a child with special needs, even incorporating incestual rape into it.

I suspect Frankie Boyle is bitter with Gervais for being a far funnier comedian he could ever be.

AllForIt wrote: »
    I suspect Frankie Boyle is bitter with Gervais for being a far funnier comedian he could ever be.

Gervais isn't funny at all either..he has one character..I really think he's going on the anti woke trip as an attempt to stay relevant..(I think this can be said about a few people..)
    Like, think back to his anti religion pro animal "comedy" of there a few years ago.. generic sh1te..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

silverharp wrote: »
    tenuous if woke or just mental, but they are linked, Alec Baldwin's wife has been pretending she is from Spain and only moved to the US to go to college but was born and bred in Boston.

https://twitter.com/gibsonoma/status/1343731503616942080

All I see is the usual stereotype joke. Like the ones people like to do online, throwing in a Juan or a Manuel.

C'mon folks, there are more names in Spain.

Gervais isn't funny at all either..he has one character..I really think he's going on the anti woke trip as an attempt to stay relevant..(I think this can be said about a few people..)
    Like, think back to his anti religion pro animal "comedy" of there a few years ago.. generic sh1te..

Have you not seen his performance at the Golden Globe's? Funniest performance I've ever seen.

I don't know anything about his characters, I've never watched The Office. But he is just one genuinely funny guy generally imo, and a likeable one at that. I've never understood why some ppl are down on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Apparently men can get pregnant nowadays

This is true. Men can also have periods, unicorns originated in Cavan and the first man on Mars was Derek Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭BryanMartin21

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9096437/Christmas-reveller-uses-festive-red-cape-cover-naked-sculpture-celebrating-Mary-Wollstonecraft.html

I have no idea what this is about really but it appears to be an attempt of feminist types to out-woke each other.

Essentially, a "Mother of Feminism" from the 1800s has a statue in her honour where she is a naked body and the out-woking attempts come from a failure to agree if nakedness is an appropriate depiction of a feminist or not.

• Advertisement

This is true. Men can also have periods, unicorns originated in Cavan and the first man on Mars was Derek Davis

Best to point out for anyone with limited cognitive ability that these are not truths. Men cannot get pregnant, men cannot have periods and men most certainly do not have vaginas, ovaries or wombs. Unicorns are far too fancy to come from Cavan and the first man on Mars was on fact Steve Davis, closely followed by Denis Taylor in second place on their way to the intergalactic snooker championships. They stopped to use the jacks and were disappointed to find there wasn’t any newspaper squares on a bit of wood with a nail in it, so they used some dock leaves and came home, stopping for a spice box on the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9096437/Christmas-reveller-uses-festive-red-cape-cover-naked-sculpture-celebrating-Mary-Wollstonecraft.html

I have no idea what this is about really but it appears to be an attempt of feminist types to out-woke each other.

Essentially, a "Mother of Feminism" from the 1800s has a statue in her honour where she is a naked body and the out-woking attempts come from a failure to agree if nakedness is an appropriate depiction of a feminist or not.

It is hilarious , but , given the article is in the Daily Mail I often feel this is bollocks?

Whoever is covering the statue at least had the ingenuity to throw on a Santa Claus cape for Christmas, so I reckon this is a case of a localised prank being misconstrued and spat back out as a contentious item, by some wanker journalist scraping the clicks barrel for the Daily Mail.

Real Feminists celebrate nudity, I have been to Greenham common at high noon in the summer time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    It is hilarious , but , given the article is in the Daily Mail I often feel this is bollocks?

Whoever is covering the statue at least had the ingenuity to throw on a Santa Claus cape for Christmas, so I reckon this is a case of a localised prank being misconstrued and spat back out as a contentious item, by some wanker journalist scraping the clicks barrel for the Daily Mail.

Real Feminists celebrate nudity, I have been to Greenham common at high noon in the summer time.

This covering up has been going on since the statue has been unveiled. Often with teeshirts that read Woman =Adult Human Female. (A sentiment with which I happen to agree.) But I think that is not important. More in question is the nature of the statue itself. Like so much modern art it misses the point, I feel. Perhaps the artist thought it modern to depict Mary Wollstonecraft as nude but I think it does a disservice to her memory. She advocated for the equality of the sexes based upon their equal capacity for reason. This was quite a radical idea in the 1700s - that the female could be equally rational. What has her naked form got to do with that important contribution? Why is Darwin not depicted naked? Or Einstein? Or male statues generally?

It is not something that worries me as I am unlikely to see the statue - but I can understand how women in the locality might find it...irrational.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,071 ✭✭✭appledrop

Just watched Bridgerton on Netflix set in 19th century and every second person is ethnic minority including Lords, Dukes, Queen etc.

Now I know it's fictionalised but come on now.

It would be great if race wasn't an issue back in 19th century but it was unfortunately so just not realistic.

In fact even in Britain today among upper class still 99% white. There was a 'celebrity' on Strictly Come Dancing a few years ago who was mixed race + had married a Lord or Duke or whatever + uproar among his family + upper class.

Just looked her up there Emma Weymouth + some artisocatice title that she is 1st black woman to have ever held in 2020.

Yes that is true of Bridgerton but if one watches it simply as good fun and ahistorical it is just that ...fun.
    As it happens though there is historical suggestion that Queen Charlotte actually did have African ancestry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,071 ✭✭✭appledrop

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Yes that is true of Bridgerton but if one watches it simply as good fun and ahistorical it is just that ...fun.
    As it happens though there is historical suggestion that Queen Charlotte actually did have African ancestry.

Oh I am having great fun watching it. Its so baaaad its good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

appledrop wrote: »
    Just watched Bridgerton on Netflix set in 19th century and every second person is ethnic minority including Lords, Dukes, Queen etc.

Now I know it's fictionalised but come on now.

It would be great if race wasn't an issue back in 19th century but it was unfortunately so just not realistic.

In fact even in Britain today among upper class still 99% white. There was a 'celebrity' on Strictly Come Dancing a few years ago who was mixed race + had married a Lord or Duke or whatever + uproar among his family + upper class.

Just looked her up there Emma Weymouth + some artisocatice title that she is 1st black woman to have ever held in 2020.

Ya I noticed nealry all netflix productions now will employ race blindness when choosing actors. It's fine until you see it in a setting you know there were no people mixed race. It just makes it look inauthentic.

They changed the gender of a character in Dune to female aswell just because.

Ya I noticed nealry all netflix productions now will employ race blindness when choosing actors. It's fine until you see it in a setting you know there were no people mixed race. It just makes it look inauthentic.

They changed the gender of a character in Dune to female aswell just because.

Yeah I don’t really understand why, it just takes you out of it sometimes...yet you can be sure were they making a production centering on 14th century sub Saharan Africa there wouldn’t be a whitey in sight (as it should be! So why is maintaining the reverse so “problematic”?)

Yeah I don’t really understand why, it just takes you out of it sometimes...yet you can be sure were they making a production centering on 14th century sub Saharan Africa there wouldn’t be a whitey in sight (as it should be! So why is maintaining the reverse so “problematic”?)

Because "White" culture/history needs to be changed, not the cultures/history of other nations. In fact, any such attempt to change other cultural perspectives would be met with widespread condemnation and outrage. It's only when it applies to white backgrounds is it considered acceptable.

• Advertisement

Because "White" culture/history needs to be changed, not the cultures/history of other nations. In fact, any such attempt to change other cultural perspectives would be met with widespread condemnation and outrage. It's only when it applies to white backgrounds is it considered acceptable.

What gets my goat is the grouping of very diverse groups and histories together under one monolithic set of “white” history. It’s incredibly reductive and results in the loss of all historical nuance. Even looking at the very closely intertwined histories of Ireland and England, they are very very different. Yet we aren’t any different in the eyes of the wokies, just all the same shade of “oppressor”

The racial and gender ahistorical thing is not the only issue - in Bridgerton it was just a bit of fun and enjoyable, though with all the riding the main thing I could not help thinking was how did those up for it girls avoid pregnancy! It must have been a huge worry especially as it was a time when death in childbirth was very possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

This covering up has been going on since the statue has been unveiled. Often with teeshirts that read Woman =Adult Human Female. (A sentiment with which I happen to agree.) But I think that is not important. More in question is the nature of the statue itself. Like so much modern art it misses the point, I feel. Perhaps the artist thought it modern to depict Mary Wollstonecraft as nude but I think it does a disservice to her memory. She advocated for the equality of the sexes based upon their equal capacity for reason. This was quite a radical idea in the 1700s - that the female could be equally rational. What has her naked form got to do with that important contribution? Why is Darwin not depicted naked? Or Einstein? Or male statues generally?

It is not something that worries me as I am unlikely to see the statue - but I can understand how women in the locality might find it...irrational.

I hope you are not one of these mad feminists that give out about the lack of mickey on Television?

Plenty of statues of mickey around the globe, keep your eyes open.

Statues are presented in the nude to symbolise the openness, transparency and naked truth of the subject and the subjects' deeds and service to humanity. It is not an opportunity to wander the imagination to envisage the size of their goolies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Just another in a long list of hairy “situations” you’ve found yourself in, I.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I hope you are not one of these mad feminists that give out about the lack of mickey on Television?

Plenty of statues of mickey around the globe, keep your eyes open.

Statues are presented in the nude to symbolise the openness, transparency and naked truth of the subject and the subjects' deeds and service to humanity. It is not an opportunity to wander the imagination to envisage the size of their goolies?

Thus far, thank goodness, IamaMoron, I have managed to hold in check my irritation about the lack of mickeys on television.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The racial and gender ahistorical thing is not the only issue - in Bridgerton it was just a bit of fun and enjoyable, though with all the riding the main thing I could not help thinking was how did those up for it girls avoid pregnancy! It must have been a huge worry especially as it was a time when death in childbirth was very possible.

I happened to watch Mary Queen of Scots last night, there appeared to be more Africans in the Scottish and English Court in the 16th Century than you would find in the House of Lords today. Totally broke the 4th wall.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

There's always been various "ways" to abort unwanted pregnancies, although that's going to be something that would be glossed over.

silverharp wrote: »
    I happened to watch Mary Queen of Scots last night, there appeared to be more Africans in the Scottish and English Court in the 16th Century than you would find in the House of Lords today. Totally broke the 4th wall.

I am not justifying it. It is doubtless distracting, but mainly if a production suggests itself to be based upon history. Just as the necessity to have a trans angle or a female lead in every bloody Netflix production is getting very stale. I like my action heroes to be big rough-cut men, I'm afraid; it is just more enjoyable from my perspective to watch. But I may be a troglodyte.
    There are perfectly great novels from African or Indian or any other ethnicity writers that could be turned into brilliant movies or series and use black / brown actors. Surely there is a great space for a growth industry in that field. I would enjoy that too. In fact Indian novelists are among my most favourite and are safely included among the best in the world. I don't see the need to shoehorn in racial anti-history into dramas set in places / times where the population was largely homogenous .
    Though on the other hand it did not bother me at all in a frothy piece like Bridgerton. Regé-Jean Page was certainly a very handsome Duke and the black Lady Danbury played by Adjoa Andoh with her ever-arching eyebrows and knowing smirk was absolutely delightful.

There's always been various "ways" to abort unwanted pregnancies, although that's going to be something that would be glossed over.

Yes but not easily. Abortifacient herbs (and emmenagogues) which have been known since time immemorial are hard on the body and not always successful, and the physical methods risked death. It would have been a real dilemma.

Yes but not easily. Abortifacient herbs (and emmenagogues) which have been known since time immemorial are hard on the body and not always successful, and the physical methods risked death. It would have been a real dilemma.

Nah. Just as people had an idea of how to improve the chance of successful pregnancies, they also knew the opposite, with increased physical exercise, or other physical behaviors which increased the risk of aborting the child. Same with things like binding with the corsets. Each culture had their own ideas of how to abort a pregnancy even without resorting to "medicine" or surgery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

Not a massive fan of period dramas, so might give this a miss.

But my question would be do the characters in the show bring attention to the different races? Or are they just played straight, as it where?

Nah. Just as people had an idea of how to improve the chance of successful pregnancies, they also knew the opposite, with increased physical exercise, or other physical behaviors which increased the risk of aborting the child. Same with things like binding with the corsets. Each culture had their own ideas of how to abort a pregnancy even without resorting to "medicine" or surgery.

Klaz, in all honesty, that is not true. It is quite difficult to dislodge a pregnancy, especially in a young healthy person. People can do all sorts of acrobatics, take caster oil, fall down stairs, starve themselves, drink tansy and rue and take pennyroyal, wear tight belts etc etc but since time immemorial pregnancy - with a certain built-in percentage of naturally occurring miscarriage - has evolved to hang on in there in difficult circumstances. People have babies in famines and while on long marches.
    Ease of getting pregnant, difficulty of inducing miscarriage and serious risk of death in labour has been one of the biggest modifying factors on female behaviour throughout historical time. And also on male behaviour as brothers, fathers, protectors etc struggle to prevent their females getting up the duff, or husbands had to modify their sexual appetites to try and avoid getting wives pregnant. Honestly one could probably write much of human history through the lens of reproduction issues.

Lenny Henry did a series of comedy sketches about racism in the 1980s "is it because I'm black!"

These days, in some instances - it's now reality!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The left are obsessed with skin colour.

Morathi wrote: »
    Not a massive fan of period dramas, so might give this a miss.

I used to love Upstairs Downstairs as a very young lad which got me some strange looks from my siblings at that time. Never really recovered from that 'he's the oddball in the family' thing for watching stuff no one else would watch. Not that I care, I just had better taste in TV. The current crop of period dramas are total curd in comparison to what came before. That Downton Abbey was just a parody of that era and deservers to be called science friction rather than a period drama. Off topic rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

National Education Union in UK insists a Mediterranean Jewish member is black and won't acknowledge he's not despite his protests!

"A spokesman for the NEU said it 'uses the term 'black' when communicating about some union activities to members who self-identify as black, Asian or any other minority ethnic groups who do not identify as white."
    "The NEU [...] says it treats black as a political term rather than a signifier of African heritage"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9091217/Teacher-Mediterranean-Jewish-heritage-left-bewildered-trade-union-insists-hes-black.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It doesn't matter what phrases various movements use these days, they all end up being "white" and "non-white".
    BLM could have invented the "black" and "non-black" narrative but they are also caught in the same old trap.

Everything is defined as white and not white, still.

#GeorgeNkencho

#GeorgeNkencho

The people who support this sub-human degenerate are bigger scum. Coppinger and her motley crue.

He was only carrying a machete around and actually went to attack a garda as you do :rolleyes:

The people who support this sub-human degenerate are bigger scum. Coppinger and her motley crue.

He was only carrying a machete around and actually went to attack a garda as you do :rolleyes:

According to the RTÉ news, he wasn't stopped by either pepper spray or tazer, the shooting was a last resort.

No martyr here, just a deranged thief who would have killed first if given the chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

#GeorgeNkencho

https://twitter.com/Repealist_/status/1344442123404390405

'Gardai actively killing POC'

I wonder what kind of grasp on reality do these people have. You'd swear the auld Guards were typing foreign sounding names into Pulse looking for a few black lads to shoot next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

46 Long wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Repealist_/status/1344442123404390405

'Gardai actively killing POC'

I wonder what kind of grasp on reality do these people have. You'd swear the auld Guards were typing foreign sounding names into Pulse looking for a few black lads to shoot next.
    Also
    Guards give up investigating things the whole time. "Come down to the station so we can ask you a few questions." "No." ...Well I guess there's nothing else we can do with this one.

And
    Do we even have a significant anti-Indian racism? I've known lots of Indian people and never heard of any of them having issues.

Seems more attention-seeking than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Happy new woke year

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Happy new woke year

That's offensive to people who don't celebrate New year's..

That's offensive to people who don't celebrate New year's..

Hindsight is 2020

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

https://twitter.com/UruguayanHeroes/status/1344778243539394561

For calling a close friend "negrito" on instagram, a term of endearment in Latin America. £100K fine and 3 match ban.

Context.......BEGONE! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,559 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Ludicrous decision.

It wasnt used in a racist context.

The FA are a laughing stock, bending to the whims of BLM each and every week, a Marxist organisation that continuously stokes racial tensions .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

RTE wouldn't be as brave to do Mohammad. It's grand to mock Catholicism. Sure we won't attack you.

https://twitter.com/paulie_lufc/stat...92634129346560

Just when you taught universities couldn't get any woker

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9085007/amp/University-Michigan-task-force-claims-words-picnic-brown-bag-blacklist-offensive.html

The University of Michigan has been blasted as 'moronic' for launching a task force which has branded the words 'picnic,' 'brown bag' and 'blacklist' as offensive terms which could harm morale.

The 'Words Matter Task Force' - set up by the school's Information and Technology Services department - listed more than two dozen words and phrases that could be perceived as offensive to some people, and provided an alternative term that could be used instead.

'To effectively communicate with customers, it is important for ITS to evaluate the terms and language conventions that may hinder effective communication, harm morale, and deliberately or inadvertently exclude people from feeling accepted to foment a healthy and inclusive culture,' the task force's memorandum says

• Advertisement

Here's a list of alternative phrases to use

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement