Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Some gobsh1te on Newstalk saying that terms we use in a demeaning way towards people like "rat", "chicken" etc were offensive to animals...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Some gobsh1te on Newstalk saying that terms we use in a demeaning way towards people like "rat", "chicken" etc were offensive to animals...

James O'Brien (LBC radio) the other day was 'checking himself' for using the term blind in a metaphorical sense because he had been made aware now it might be offensive to blind people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

Yeah, PETA.

I make it a point of fact to not take seriously any organisation that would happily legalize bestiality so their members could freely make love to animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

AllForIt wrote: »
    James O'Brien (LBC radio) the other day was 'checking himself' for using the term blind in a metaphorical sense because he had been made aware now it might be offensive to blind people.

He has some great calls and has some great views, but as he's as condescending as you can get as well and completely committed to wokeism.

He has some great calls and calls people out when needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

And this is one of a few reasons I cannot abide listening to his show now.
    He can sometimes be very good but nah, the patronising and virtue signalling tone is a massive turnoff.
    He's turned into the Jamelia Jamil of radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cute, or virtue signalling?

image.png

biko wrote: »

Or promoting stupidity, since being that close would negate any of the protection offered by the masks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

image.png

People having a bit if fun on their wedding day?

Absolute (unts, eh?

One image/collage means nothing. If people were shoving it down your throat, then yes possibly virtue signalling.

But if you have to go looking for it.. or it's not being forced upon you, then what?
    (Incidentally, I'm not saying you weren't out your way on this one.. but it's hard to say without context. Where did the image come from? Where was it posted?)

Or promoting stupidity, since being that close would negate any of the protection offered by the masks.

Again.. no context so who knows.. weddings have been allowed at different times. I would assume it's not being posted as a poster for medical or social distancing advice. If it is, I absolutely agree with you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    He can sometimes be very good but nah, the patronising and virtue signalling tone is a massive turnoff.

Yea, Nick Abbot is gone the same way as well. TalkRadio is where it's at now.
    randd1 wrote: »
    He has some great calls and has some great views, but as he's as condescending as you can get as well and completely committed to wokeism.

Yeah he's very sharp, but even since Brexit he's picked a side.

I dunno. I don't see a problem with it myself if they (and their ancestors) were Irish. I grew up speaking Irish fluently, but now in my 40s, I'd struggle to have anything more substantial than a few minutes of a fairly basic conversation. Although, admittedly, the only time I ever use my full name in Irish, is when I want to confuse foreigners. There's little point nowadays otherwise.

Now, if it was a Black lady with a very Irish surname, then I'd be a little bemused. I met a black woman recently with the same surname as mine, and my surname (in Irish) isn't terribly common (the English is common enough in my local area, but still, it would be weird to meet a non-white person with it). Made me do a double take.
    Reminds me of a story I heard about an Asian looking woman on a train in Wales who was talking loudly to her children. An Englishman nearby got annoyed and shouted "WE SPEAK ENGLISH HERE!", then a man next to him said, "She's speaking Welsh and we're in Wales!"

Yea, Nick Abbot is gone the same way as well. TalkRadio is where it's at now.

I still listen to Abbot, he can be very, very funny.
    I know what you mean though - he has a view and it never changes - but at least he had the balls to admit he'd miss Trump for the comedy aspect (for non-listeners, he *detests* Trump)

And his head-to-heads with some callers are fckin brilliant.
    I don't think he's woke at all. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

He has some great calls and calls people out when needed.

I dont watch or listen to radio so I only see this guy O'Brien in clips and he strikes me as not being particularly bright or charismatic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

image.png

Every single one of those photos depicts a white heterosexual bride and a white heterosexual groom!

Where's the diversity?? :mad:

Could you not find any images showing gay men, lesbians, black couples, Asian couples, or the differently abled? :mad:

It has to be the most disgustingly exclusionary and heteronormative thing I've seen all day. Seriously, it's 2021.

(:pac:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Sounds like Sean Moncrieff

Invidious wrote: »
    Every single one of those photos depicts a white heterosexual bride and a white heterosexual groom!

Could you not find any images showing gay men, lesbians, black couples, Asian couples, or the differently abled? :mad:

It has to be the most disgustingly exclusionary and heteronormative thing I've seen all day. Seriously, it's 2021.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0201/1194297-fake-covid-documents-travel/

The European law enforcement agency said it received intelligence on the alleged use of a mobile application by an Irish Mobile Organised Crime Group based in the south of the country, which allows for the manual falsification of test results.

Is this the new term for a Traveller Gang?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭COVID

Bambi wrote: »
    I dont watch or listen to radio so I only see this guy O'Brien in clips and he strikes me as not being particularly bright or charismatic

Bright enough to get the better of Farage the racist, and ubersnob Reece-Mogg, both encounters are available on YouTube.

On second thoughts, maybe you don't have to be particularly bright to best either of those two eejits.

• Advertisement

COVID wrote: »
    Bright enough to get the better of Farage the racist, and ubersnob Reece-Mogg, both encounters are available on YouTube.

On second thoughts, maybe you don't have to be particularly bright to best either of those two eejits.

He definitely skewered Farage.
    I listened live to the Rees-Mogg one - O'Brien completely failed IMO and I was egging him on, but Mogg swatted his gotchas away and O'Brien ended up sounding like a lunatic!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭COVID

He definitely skewered Farage.
    I listened live to the Rees-Mogg one - O'Brien completely failed IMO and I was egging him on, but Mogg swatted his gotchas away and O'Brien ended up sounding like a lunatic!:pac:

Tbh, he nearly always sounds like a lunatic, resulting from a potent mix of massive ego and turbo-charged intensity when he's arguing his point.
    That's why I was very surprised at his calm demeanour during his spell as BBC's 'Newsnight' presenter; perhaps he downed a few elephant tranquilisers in the green room beforehand.

Anyway, all the above notwithstanding, he's obviously a very smart, intelligent guy. So to describe him as: ''not being particularly bright'', is way off the mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

COVID wrote: »
    Tbh, he nearly always sounds like a lunatic, resulting from a potent mix of massive ego and turbo-charged intensity when he's arguing his point.
    That's why I was very surprised at his calm demeanour during his spell as BBC's 'Newsnight' presenter; perhaps he downed a few elephant tranquilisers in the green room beforehand.

Anyway, all the above notwithstanding, he's obviously a very smart, intelligent guy. So to describe him as: ''not being particularly bright'', is way off the mark.

Much harder to do a couple of lines on TV than it is on radio I'd imagine.

Saw plenty of black men and women in America at the beginnings of the protests last year just like this young woman - logical, intelligent non-performative, non-culty people are present (I hope in large numbers) but hardly ever get a mention on mainstream media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Saw plenty of black men and women in America at the beginnings of the protests last year just like this young woman - logical, intelligent non-performative, non-culty people are present (I hope in large numbers) but hardly ever get a mention on mainstream media.

It's a lot easier to be a victim than to think for yourself. Any black person that thinks like her is called a coon, uncle tom, house nxgger . The media and politicians have a lot to answer for stoking flames which has created more of a divide than unity. While I agree that individual acts of racism still occurs, it's nowhere near the level people are trying to portray as. I found this fella Larry Elder on youtube . He grew up in the hood and talks about the hypocrisy going on in America today . Here's one of his videos where he shuts up a woke interview from TMZ.

https://youtu.be/1xoDvfJK5yE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Sorcha Dhuisigh _She_Her_

That is not the general lived experience of a POC and she does not represent all POC, as much as whyte people here want to hear her message as true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Stop the planet. Are Labour that stupid to think we forgot their BS?

https://twitter.com/griptmedia/status/1356196003716730881

That is not the general lived experience of a POC and she does not represent all POC, as much as whyte people here want to hear her message as true.

Did you just assume xers gender, bigot?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Whyte?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Titania is in the house.

Welcome.

• Advertisement

RandRuns wrote: »
    Did you just assume xers gender, bigot?

No, she is cis and goes by she/her.

halfblackconservative - look her up. She is among other things a Trump supporter and parrots a lot of the arguments of the alt-right/neo-nazis.

https://twitter.com/griptmedia/status/1356196003716730881

Ffs... No wonder labour have only 6 seats in the Dail. Hopefully they keep coming out with more rubbish so get no seats in the next election

halfblackconservative - look her up. She is among other things a Trump supporter and parrots a lot of the arguments of the alt-right/neo-nazis.

What's a cis ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Cordell

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cis%E2%80%93trans_isomerism

The reason they call a real male a cis male and a real woman a cis woman is simple: when you have cis males and trans males, they all are a kind of male, so none of them will be the actual males and the other make-pretend males. Same for women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

What's a cis ?

It's short for cistern

cera-ceramic-cistern-500x500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Women and girls menstruate.

Boys and ment do not . even unicorns don't or space aliens or self driving speaking cars from 80's tv (television )

It's short for cistern

That is certain to yank a few chains! :D

It's short for cistern

And just like the word cis , both belong in the toilet

Why does the term cis make you uncomfortable? Why do you want a word that helps marginalised groups feel included flushed down the toilet?

• Advertisement

Why does the term cis make you uncomfortable

Women or men

No such ****e as cis other than on twatter

Why does the term cis make you uncomfortable? Why do you want a word that helps marginalised groups feel included flushed down the toilet?
    Because it is yet another pointless label that certain people like to attach to themselves to make themselves feel special and claim marginalisation.
    With the added bonus of attempting to make the majority feel uncomfortable in themselves.

Gatling wrote: »
    Women or men

Nah, I can think of many, many other descriptive words for some :pac:

km991148 wrote: »
    Nah, I can think of many, many other descriptive words for some

The same applies to a few I can name ;)

Gatling wrote: »
    The same applies to a few I can name ;)

Glad you took it in the original spirit of after hours, sometimes this is a dry shyte of a place.

km991148 wrote: »
    Glad you took it in the original spirit of after hours, sometimes this is a dry shyte of a place.

If it's not for fun why bother

You're a troll
    I've incorporated a checking routine in to my life every day of this month. I take 5 minutes at the end of the day to check my privilege and reflect on any instances where I may have diminished someone else's experience or not been a good enough ally. Doing it for the month of February, but I may keep it up afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Invidious wrote: »

A "diverse" wedding with too many guests happened in Tralee lately, you can work that out for yourselves, no fines etc to report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Stop using insulting pronouns to describe my gender, it ranks of sexism and discrimination

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I had my “suspicions” on this “new” poster’s writing “style”
    keano_afc wrote: »
    Whyte?

Then it “re-jigged” the old memory.
    Also, and this is very important, please don’t misgender me. It’s Emmet, not Emma. I am a cis whyte male, my “preferred” pronouns are on display in my signature.
    Omackeral wrote: »
    What in Christ's name is this new gimmick?

Very “suspicious” activity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement