Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Build - Architect ?

Options
  • 31-08-2020 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

Currently trying to do plans for a house. We know the house we want to build from the outside and I’ve tried drawing what it’ll look like on the inside etc. but there are arses like stairs, kitchen that’d I’d like an experts opinion. We’ve spoken to an engineer and he’s told us to email on the plans etc but would it be beneficial to engage an architect before this or would this be something that an engineer would be able to do also?

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

As an Architect, we are much more stylish :P

You could always visit a kitchen showroom and see what your interested in and the plans will make more sense for yourself.

Engineers can do plans if they are interested enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JOS85

micah537 wrote: »
    As an Architect, we are much more stylish :P

You could always visit a kitchen showroom and see what your interested in and the plans will make more sense for yourself.

Engineers can do plans if they are interested enough.

Hi, thank you for the response. It’s not necessarily the style, my wife has the exact idea of what the decor will look like 😂. It’s more how to use the space. Basically we seen a house that we loved online. So I tried to design the inside myself, open plan, but the kitchen seems a bit too spacious and the living area a little cramped.

How much would it cost to engage an architect for this part?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

JOS85 wrote: »

How much would it cost to engage an architect for this part?

Between 5-10% of building cost.

BryanF wrote: »

So it’ll cost between 15-25k to sit down with an architect and get them to help us design kitchen area and stairs etc? We have an engineer who will submit planning and those things for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,533 ✭✭✭✭fits

BryanF wrote: »

Is that not the whole way through to completion?

The OP could get a house designed by an architect and then an engineer to do the rest for much cheaper.

worth doing in my opinion. An architect should make best use of site and space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

JOS85 is it just like a quick sketch/plan you looking at and not the finished drawings, more so just a idea on layout?
    Most firms would charge €80-120 an hour for consultation.

The Engineer you have or an Architect or Architect Technician will all be able to do that.

The 7%-12% is for the finished plans and planning permission etc.

If put up the plan you already drew with dimensions, someone will help will ideas and it won't cost a thing.

micah537 wrote: »
    JOS85 is it just like a quick sketch/plan you looking at and not the finished drawings, more so just a idea on layout?
    Most firms would charge €80-120 an hour for consultation.

The Engineer you have or an Architect or Architect Technician will all be able to do that.

The 7%-12% is for the finished plans and planning permission etc.

If put up the plan you already drew with dimensions, someone will help will ideas and it won't cost a thing.

Thank you very much for this. The engineer we got came recommended as he’s great at getting planning through and he’s no fussy on the particulars. But the downside is his drawings aren’t supposed to be the best so we’d like an architect to look over them. We have the house in mind, one we found online but the inside lay out needs some work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

you can get software programs or buy other peoples plans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I used an architect to design my house. There was a lot of to and fro, chop and change to make the most of the floor space. I don’t think you could do it properly without being trained and qualified.

Like you can get the basic ideas, where you want what etc, but squeezing the few square metres out of ‘waste’ takes some doing imo. Also autocad drawings.

FWIW it doesn’t need to be hugely expensive. People spend ten grand plus but 3-5 should do it if you have a concrete idea. But it will probably change.

I really benefited from visiting some recent new builds and extensions to get an idea of space etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

JOS85 wrote: »
    The engineer we got came recommended as he’s great at getting planning through.

Just saw this now and find it interesting. Maybe I’m naive but the most important people in getting planning I thought were the applicants? A local architect (maybe engineer I don’t know) can advise you on what is and is not going to fly with the planners, and also on putting your application together. But, and again maybe I’m naive, who your engineer/architect is should have zero bearing on the decision.

• Advertisement
Advertisement