If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Requesting help designing a home theatre

Options
  • 01-09-2020 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭

I would like to set up my drawing room with a quality sound system with a wired Dolby Atmos system. I l want to watch films with great sound. My drawing room is small and I don't want to put something excessive for the room. It is about 4500 cm in width, 3820 cm deep and 2650 cm high. I was thinking about a 5.1 system with four or two overhead speakers. Is this overkill for this room? I have a moderate budget. I am hoping to buy and install ceiling speakers before the AV receivers as part of room remodelling. The wall I have the TV on is a party wall. 

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

I would like to set up my drawing room with a quality sound system with a wired Dolby Atmos system. I l want to watch films with great sound. My drawing room is small and I don't want to put something excessive for the room. It is about 4500 cm in width, 3820 cm deep and 2650 cm high. I was thinking about a 5.1 system with four or two overhead speakers. Is this overkill for this room? I have a moderate budget. I am hoping to buy and install ceiling speakers before the AV receivers as part of room remodelling. The wall I have the TV on is a party wall. 
    Hi Yellow_Fern,

Thanks for the post and apologies for the delay getting back to you!

That definitely wouldn't be overkill for the room and adding additional in ceiling speakers would give you a good starting point for Dolby Atmos!

I would recommend going for an amp like the new Denon AVCX3700 which will run a 5.1.4 Atmos system but which also has great future proofing with 8K passthrough and great wireless connectivity!

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-14136-denon-avcx3700-black-dolby-atmos-av-receiver.aspx

For in ceiling speakers I would go with the Monitor Audio C165 which sound absolutely incredible!

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-201014-cambridge-audio-c165-each-white-single-in-ceiling-speaker.aspx

After that it just depends if you're looking to put in a small satellite system or a larger speaker system comprising of floorstanders and bookshelf speakers!

Let me know what you think and I can recommend a few options!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Hi Yellow_Fern,

That definitely wouldn't be overkill for the room and adding additional in ceiling speakers would give you a good starting point for Dolby Atmos!

I would recommend going for an amp like the new Denon AVCX3700 which will run a 5.1.4 Atmos system but which also has great future proofing with 8K passthrough and great wireless connectivity!

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-14136-denon-avcx3700-black-dolby-atmos-av-receiver.aspx

For in ceiling speakers I would go with the Monitor Audio C165 which sound absolutely incredible!

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-201014-cambridge-audio-c165-each-white-single-in-ceiling-speaker.aspx

After that it just depends if you're looking to put in a small satellite system or a larger speaker system comprising of floorstanders and bookshelf speakers!

Kind regards

David
    Thanks a ton. This is really helpful. I am already looking forward to buying. I have seen many speakers that cost a lot more. Are the benefits of more expensive models a case of diminishing returns in terms of cost benefit?

I really want an extremely neat system with great wire management. Would it be ok to leave this AV receiver under my stairs where I have my network switch?

Hi Yellow_Fern,

Kind regards

David
    Thanks a ton. This is really helpful. I am already looking forward to buying. I have seen many speakers that cost a lot more. Are the benefits of more expensive models a case of diminishing returns in terms of cost benefit?

I really want an extremely neat system with great wire management. Would it be ok to leave this AV receiver under my stairs where I have my network switch?
    Hi Yellow_Fern,

Generally as you increase the price of the speakers you are getting upgrades like better cabinet design/bracing, better drivers and tweeters and overall a better sound. Is your system mainly for movies or for music as well?

I would recommend having a set of floorstanders as your fronts as this will give a fuller range of sound for your main channels. They tend to have more drivers so they will give a deeper sound with more drive.

I'd recommend looking at something like the Fyne Audio F501 as your fronts as these sound incredible. You can also build a system with other Fyne components for your fronts and rears.

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203256-fyne-audio-f501-black-speakers-per-pair.aspx

You can also have put your AV receiver under the stairs but you would need to have all of the speaker points wired back to it as well as your sources and an HDMI from the AV Receiver to the TV!

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

Thanks. That is very helpful. I am mainly interested in films but I do like music too. However I won't be having massive parties there or anything like that. I want to ensure it is all decent for gaming as well. 

I will set up wiring from the speakers and the tv to the space under the stairs and perhaps also spare cable from the speaker to behind the TV incase I change plans down the line. I am concerned about a HDMI built into the wall becoming redundant but I guess I can try to have it in a duct where it can be replaced.

Thanks. That is very helpful. I am mainly interested in films but I do like music too. However I won't be having massive parties there or anything like that. I want to ensure it is all decent for gaming as well. 

I will set up wiring from the speakers and the tv to the space under the stairs and perhaps also spare cable from the speaker to behind the TV incase I change plans down the line. I am concerned about a HDMI built into the wall becoming redundant but I guess I can try to have it in a duct where it can be replaced.
    Hi Yellow_Fern,

Some trunking would be best as it can be taken out but if you go for a cable that will support up to 8K you should be future proofed for a while!

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Hi Yellow_Fern,

Some trunking would be best as it can be taken out but if you go for a cable that will support up to 8K you should be future proofed for a while!

Kind regards

David
    Cheers. That is very helpful. I have one final question (Id pop in store but I live far from Belfast), I read that some ceiling speakers have back boxes. Is that for stopping them leaking sound upstairs? Would I need anything like that for the Monitor Audio C165s? I have hollowcore floors above which are good but it'd be great to any remainder sound noise going upstairs through it.

Hi Yellow_Fern,

Kind regards

David
    Cheers. That is very helpful. I have one final question (Id pop in store but I live far from Belfast), I read that some ceiling speakers have back boxes. Is that for stopping them leaking sound upstairs? Would I need anything like that for the Monitor Audio C165s? I have hollowcore floors above which are good but it'd be great to any remainder sound noise going upstairs through it.
    Hi Yellow_Fern,

The C165s don't have a back box but I would recommend adding Fire Hoods to them to enclose them in and add a bit of safety!

You could go for the Cambridge FH10s!

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-201152-cambridge-audio-fh10-firehood-6-5-in-ceiling-firehood.aspx?swapstore=1

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.