Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get a council house

Options
  • 01-09-2020 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭

So you’re Johnny Taxpayer home hunting yet the council keeps out bidding you on everything, and you’re wondering why E.g Offaly [insert own council here] County Council is buying up mostly one off houses (Of better build quality to urban houses) throughout the country?

It’s all to do with the areas you’re looking for housing in.

A large number of applicants are looking around the county to places where there’s no social housing or where there once was and all purchased under various tenant purchase schemes. Rural schools in these areas would have depleting students numbers and will accept your child no questions asked to save losing a teacher. That then gives you a connection to that area and they specifically request accommodation in this area only so as not to interrupt their child’s education. Hence the council buys the property.

Before 2012 you would have to be linked to a certain area, for example a Clonmel resident couldn’t apply to Nenagh town council and vice versa. It’s why councils are buying up property throughout the country in places where you’d never expect them to want to build social housing, never mind own property.

Meanwhile us suckers end up having to buy some overpriced 2 story semi detached with a fireplace in the bedroom on a busy street in a urban centre.

Btw I support social housing when it’s fairly allocated to people in need. Social housing is needed to get those on lower social welfare incomes out of the private rental market, but I don’t believe it’s fair to have the council competing with families trying to buy a home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

My cousin just moved into a council house. She is a nurse and like most people can't afford to buy a house. She is married to a guy who is working and is expecting their first kid.

Its either they get this house or live with my elderly aunt and uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

My cousin just moved into a council house. She is a nurse and like most people can't afford to buy a house. She is married to a guy who is working and is expecting their first kid.

The above isn’t your cousin though. Presuming she took what they were offered? Lot more sophisticated a scam this then the likes of Margaret Cash. Congratulations to your cousin. Nor is this thread bashing the vast majority of applicants. It’s to explain why the council is aggressively outbidding people

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Lose your job/take a pay cut under the income threshold. Lose your home. And wait....and wait.. and wait... Easy right?

Also I hope you are not too fussy about location or neighbours. You sound like you're on to a winner. Best of luck with it.

The above isn’t your cousin though. Presuming she took what they were offered?
    I don't know. She has to be close to the hospital she works at so its possible she explained that.

I mean people do have to be close enough to get to jobs...or have grandparents look after kids while they go to those jobs ..or care for elderly parents who might otherwise be in nursing homes etc etc.

Not everyone is footloose and fancy free. Some have responsibilities. Its something most adults I am sure can empathize with.

Claim you're an ethnic minority and get bumped to the top of the queue. Shout "racist!" if you don't get additional amenities like grazing space. Mission accomplished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Claim you're an ethnic minority and get bumped to the top of the queue. Shout "racist!" if you don't get additional amenities like grazing space. Job done.

To be fair when I worked for a local authority (albeit not housing) the majority of them were shifted from the side of the road and nothing more. This scam is carried out by mostly women/couples in their 30s

Would you like a council house yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Would you like a council house yourself?

Yes, but I need a stable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Moving to CA/IMHO as it doesn't quite fit in AH

NOTE: new charter applies

• Registered Users Posts: 30,600 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Ask this lady.
    It might involve having about eight children and moving into a Garda Station but you'll get there eventually. Also have a protest about the robbing Government outside the Dáil with a megaphone.

1_CC-LEINSTER-HOUSE-_390409018.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Your cousin sounds like the exact type of person/family who is deserving of help and a leg up. I don’t think anyone would begrudge a council home going to a young working couple with a baby on the way.

Unfortunately due to a lot of people scamming, defrauding, and manipulating the system, people like your cousin rarely get the help they need and deserve, which is what people take issue with.
    I personally would be delighted to see more people and families like your cousin being prioritised over people who take and take yet contribute nothing to the pot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

In my situation i won't possibly bring together the deposit for a house. Kind of resigned to rental for life.. Earn too much to be considered in need of anything more than a gp card but not enough to get out of the rental market where my rent is more than my mortgage repayment on the same property would be..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

In my situation i won't possibly bring together the deposit for a house. Kind of resigned to rental for life.. Earn too much to be considered in need of anything more than a gp card but not enough to get out of the rental market where my rent is more than my mortgage repayment on the same property would be..

Me too. It’s mental how they can refuse someone a mortgage where the repayment would be €700 a month on the grounds that they don’t earn enough, yet we then expect them to pay €1800+ pm on a private rental property indefinitely. It makes zero logical sense.

If I wanted to buy a house where the mortgage was €1800 pm people would say I’m nuts and living far, far beyond my means yet this is what we expect low earners and those on the average wage to pay for a house they’ll never own. It’s just crazy and there’s something very wrong about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

So you’re Johnny Taxpayer home hunting yet the council keeps out bidding you on everything, and you’re wondering why E.g Offaly [insert own council here] County Council is buying up mostly one off houses (Of better build quality to urban houses) throughout the country?

It’s all to do with the areas you’re looking for housing in.

A large number of applicants are looking around the county to places where there’s no social housing or where there once was and all purchased under various tenant purchase schemes. Rural schools in these areas would have depleting students numbers and will accept your child no questions asked to save losing a teacher. That then gives you a connection to that area and they specifically request accommodation in this area only so as not to interrupt their child’s education. Hence the council buys the property.

Before 2012 you would have to be linked to a certain area, for example a Clonmel resident couldn’t apply to Nenagh town council and vice versa. It’s why councils are buying up property throughout the country in places where you’d never expect them to want to build social housing, never mind own property.

Meanwhile us suckers end up having to buy some overpriced 2 story semi detached with a fireplace in the bedroom on a busy street in a urban centre.

Btw I support social housing when it’s fairly allocated to people in need. Social housing is needed to get those on lower social welfare incomes out of the private rental market, but I don’t believe it’s fair to have the council competing with families trying to buy a home.

Problem: The council are buying up around you and giving custom to companies buying/building to rent to councils. This prices johnny taxpayer out of the market.

Solution: Build lower cost basic housing in small estates to use as social. Leaving private companies to sell to private families.

Where's popular shouldn’t come into it. Build were possible and were needed.
    I'm from a part of Dublin long considered a working class area. Just because some twats decide its fashionable we need move out communities? And what about when the fashion changes again? Nobody would go near the docks 30 odd years ago. We shouldn't base planning around fashion.

The councils are not buying houses in areas only based on requests from the public.
    You're right though the public shouldn't be getting priced out.
    The problem is there is less private profit if the councils build their own to rent.
    Buying use to be in small numbers and for emergencies.

It's wrong headed to be looking at the tenants. Look at the policy makers. Look at FG's former housing advisor, now a TD, married to the former head of Goldman Sachs active investors in build to rent.
    Or stick with moaning about the Sun/Indo chancer of the week, a symptom of poor housing policy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

How do you legally become a Traveller or Indigenous Mincéir ( the new trendy PC name being used by Dr Sindy Joyce)
    Can someone become a Traveller?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Bowie wrote: »
    Problem: The council are buying up around you and giving custom to companies buying/building to rent to councils. This prices johnny taxpayer out of the market.

Solution: Build lower cost basic housing in small estates to use as social. Leaving private companies to sell to private families.

I'm from a part of Dublin long considered a working class area. Just because some twats decide its fashionable we need move out communities? And what about when the fashion changes again? Nobody would go near the docks 30 odd years ago. We shouldn't base planning around fashion.

The councils are not buying houses in areas only based on requests from the public.
    The problem is there is less private profit if the councils build their own to rent.

It's wrong headed to be looking at the tenants. Look at the policy makers. Look at FG's former housing advisor, now a TD, married to the former head of Goldman Sachs active investors in build to rent.
    Or stick with moaning about the Sun/Indo chancer of the week, a symptom of poor housing policy.
    Is it bad if a young couple gets a chance on a area buys and does a house up and then settles there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

You need to work harder OP to afford a nicer house. Have you thought of upskilling?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Bowie wrote: »

The OP would complain about that too. Social housing is like a tinder box for some who want to feel hard done by no matter what.

Thus. This is a big wrong in our society. I would love to see us use somewhere like Austria as the base model for our social housing policy rather than parrot moves by that increasingly right wing pariah next door to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The above isn’t your cousin though. Presuming she took what they were offered? Lot more sophisticated a scam this then the likes of Margaret Cash. Congratulations to your cousin. Nor is this thread bashing the vast majority of applicants. It’s to explain why the council is aggressively outbidding people

Government policy refuses to let them build loads of houses. Thats why.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Thus. This is a big wrong in our society. I would love to see us use somewhere like Austria as the base model for our social housing policy rather than parrot moves by that increasingly right wing pariah next door to us.

Let's also bring in the same levels of personal responsibility that the Austrians hold themselves to.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Let's also bring in the same levels of personal responsibility that the Austrians hold themselves to.

I am also onboard with this. We should be taking the vast majority of our cultural and societal influence from European nations who have built systems that work rather than our dysfunctional neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

eviltwin wrote: »
    The OP would complain about that too. Social housing is like a tinder box for some who want to feel hard done by no matter what.

The reason for that is that overall Housing Policy in this country has been a disaster for decades. This has had very negative consequences for very many people, so if they feel hard done by they probably have good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

I'll be honest and say I don't really understand how the housing system works. Are council houses for people on lower incomes? What about people who earn a decent wage but can't afford to rent? Can anyone apply for one?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    I'll be honest and say I don't really understand how the housing system works. Are council houses for people on lower incomes? What about people who earn a decent wage but can't afford to rent? Can anyone apply for one?

The test is based on income and housing need.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

sasta le wrote: »
    How do you legally become a Traveller or Indigenous Mincéir ( the new trendy PC name being used by Dr Sindy Joyce)
    Can someone become a Traveller?

I want to build a browser extension that hides content from anyone using that word , nothing good can come of me reading those lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

anyone can apply for one but the lists are long. Things can boost you up the list

kids (big boost)
    disability (alcoholism or drug addiction count)
    disabled kids (get them certified by a quack as having ADHD)
    your ma being in a council gaf in the same area helps you on that list locally
    being a member of a minority community (like the travellers) , its not officially supposed to help, but it absolutely does.
    if you've made yourself basically unemployable (left school early, neck and face tattoos, given yourself a substance problem etc..) it also helps as nobody can tell you 'tough luck, go get a job and rent a flat'

theoretically anyone under 50k a year can apply , but the reality of it is an Irish, childless couple with no criminal convictions, kids or addictions who both work 25k a year jobs are going to be bottom of the pile for 15 years before getting a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It's all laid out here. As Geuze said, it's based on income threshold and need. Once you qualify on those grounds, how long it will take for you to get a house will depend then on supply, the size of the waiting list, and your place on it. Different housing authorities have different income thresholds, but the needs criteria are the same:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/local_authority_and_social_housing/applying_for_local_authority_housing.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

that's where we are, i recall leo getting a lot of online abuse when he suggested 80k per annum wasn't a big salary any more and he was dead right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Pkiernan wrote: »

I have family in Austria and spent a good bit of time there years ago. It's a different ball park altogether. They don't have the whole scumbag entitlement culture like we have in Ireland. People don't even litter. It's apples and oranges.

Advertisement