Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get a council house

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I have family in Austria and spent a good bit of time there years ago. It's a different ball park altogether. They don't have the whole scumbag entitlement culture like we have in Ireland. People don't even litter. It's apples and oranges.

And they spend less per capita than we do on social welfare, despite being a welfare state.

https://www.austria.org/the-welfare-state

• Registered Users Posts: 25,984 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

.... childless couple with no criminal convictions, kids or addictions who both work 25k a year jobs are going to be bottom of the pile for 15 years before getting a house.

If someone is only on 25k, they're only just getting started in a career. Probably not a good time to tie themselves to living in one area.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

ELM327 wrote: »
    And they spend less per capita than we do on social welfare, despite being a welfare state.

I'm not sure how they do it there, but a cousin of mine is a single mother and she's getting a 2 bed apartment in Dalkey village next month on HAP. I can't imagine how expensive that is, there must be a cheaper way.

If someone is only on 25k, they're only just getting started in a career. Probably not a good time to tie themselves to living in one area.
    Or in a dead end job.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

There's plenty of people on 25k who have worked for years.
    Plenty of carpenters, electricians not getting paid the rate and some in even less than 25k.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I'm not sure how they do it there, but a cousin of mine is a single mother and she's getting a 2 bed apartment in Dalkey village next month on HAP. I can't imagine how expensive that is, there must be a cheaper way.

Cheaper? yes.
    Better at shoring up the private rental market? no.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

dont they have the system where you (quite rightly) get welfare for a year after being out of work and after that you have to sell all your possessions and downsize your home before the state will help ?

dont they have the system where you (quite rightly) get welfare for a year after being out of work and after that you have to sell all your possessions and downsize your home before the state will help ?

They have the same system (or similar) as in germany AFAIK, that you get % of your prior salary for the first year on a downward scale and then you get a base sustenance allowance after year two that is too low to live on comfortably (unlike a dole lifer family over here)

They have the same system (or similar) as in germany AFAIK, that you get % of your prior salary for the first year on a downward scale and then you get a base sustenance allowance after year two that is too low to live on comfortably (unlike a dole lifer family over here)

As it should be.

Can you just leave school, develop a drink problem, pop out 2 kids and get a free 4eva home in Germany ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

As it should be.

Can you just leave school, develop a drink problem, pop out 2 kids and get a free 4eva home in Germany ?

I just don't think they have that many of those types of people there. It has been a rich country for centuries, had an Empire etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

My cousin just moved into a council house. She is a nurse and like most people can't afford to buy a house. She is married to a guy who is working and is expecting their first kid.

Its either they get this house or live with my elderly aunt and uncle.

This is ridiculously warped. In a way. But if you get your head around it, I suppose til be the new normal. Land and house/ build prices are too much. At least we're not USA where living in a trailer or your car is acceptable.

lalababa wrote: »
    This is ridiculously warped. In a way. But if you get your head around it, I suppose til be the new normal. Land and house/ build prices are too much. At least we're not USA where living in a trailer or your car is acceptable.

its actually a great solution to low income housing and not all trailer parks are bad, a lot of them are all filled with large 3 bedroom trailers and lots of amenities. This notion that we have to have a 3 bed semi built with bricks in an estate distorts our housing market greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

A method that encourages someone to try harder for work the longer they on dole... over here they pay ya more they longer you are on it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

its actually a great solution to low income housing and not all trailer parks are bad, a lot of them are all filled with large 3 bedroom trailers and lots of amenities. This notion that we have to have a 3 bed semi built with bricks in an estate distorts our housing market greatly.

I've a 3 bedroom mobile home. Grand in the summer, 5 of us stay in for July and August every year. Not grand in the winter. Cold, damp and unsafe in storm conditions, require constant maintenance. They're made from chipboard (floor), plywood and styrofoam (walls), with a light aluminium skin. While mine has a gas heater, I'd be bloody careful if I had to use it (I don't), because the whole mobile is a big tinderbox if anything bad happened regarding a flame.

Might be ok in some parts of the US which have drier, warmer weather, not a great solution for housing low income people or families here. There might be a happy medium between mobiles and brick houses in the various solid prefabricated houses that are available now, but "trailers" really aren't an option.

I've a 3 bedroom mobile home. Grand in the summer, 5 of us stay in for July and August every year. Not grand in the winter. Cold, damp and unsafe in storm conditions, require constant maintenance. They're made from chipboard (floor), plywood and styrofoam (walls), with a light aluminium skin. While mine has a gas heater, I'd be bloody careful if I had to use it (I don't), because the whole mobile is a big tinderbox if anything bad happened regarding a flame.

Might be ok in some parts of the US which have drier, warmer weather, not a great solution for housing low income people or families here. There might be a happy medium between mobiles and brick houses in the various solid prefabricated houses that are available now, but "trailers" really aren't an option.

https://www.willerby.com/park-homes/our-range/delamere
    check out BS 3632:2015 , its a British standard for residential living static homes and includes fire safety and insulation standards that negate that.
    something like the unit linked above on a plot would be ideal for a low income couple. There are parks in the US where you can buy similar for $50k and pay $300 a month in lot fees and its a no brainer for those on lower incomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

How to get a house, have 2 kids or more, fill in the forms, wait 5 to 8 years. Having 4 kids does not really help as most council houses have 3 bedrooms. You have a choice of 3 area, s eg coolock, Dublin 15 , city centre, if there's a house vacant in swords you won't get offered it.
    It's not just a social housing problem,
    We need 40 k plus housing units built every year to meet demand, a mix of rental, units for sale , and social housing.
    We are not even close to meeting this target.
    Dealing with the covid crisis will make the situation even worse.

Advertisement