Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

COLD!

The first time I have used that word for a long time. A chill in the bones. A bold breeze . The stove WILL be lit today.

Bright sun though.

Just checked the forecasts and no mention of Storm Alex?

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Graces7 wrote: »
    COLD!

The first time I have used that word for a long time. A chill in the bones. A bold breeze . The stove WILL be lit today.

Bright sun though.

Just checked the forecasts and no mention of Storm Alex?

West Mayo offshore

https://www.met.ie/forecasts/meteorologists-commentary

Ah ok; so basically it is not going to hit Ireland in any great force, That is grand; thank you... which is why it is not mentioned in the actual forecasts that many of us look at ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

A cold, cloudy day in south wexford. Also it's quite windy and the house is cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Sunny morning in Cork City but getting duller now a bit. A bit windy as well, leaves blowing around the place but. Cork Airport was gusting to around 32kts earlier on. Chilly at around 10c but the wind is making it feel even colder!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Seconded the post about the spectacular moonrise last night, bright orange and lit up the whole place

Another decent day today, had a heavy shower around 8am but nice day again now with plenty of sunshine

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Had some pretty heavy rain early this morning around 3.45am here in Bray, enough to wake me up and even to set off the motion detection on my video doorbell!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

US2 wrote: »
    January 2018 was cold ? Few morninngs of -8c I think I remember

No it wasn't. February 2018 was the cold month.

January 2010 was the last very cold January.

Seconded the post about the spectacular moonrise last night, bright orange and lit up the whole place

Another decent day today, had a heavy shower around 8am but nice day again now with plenty of sunshine

And a bitterly cold north wind. "North Force 6 or higher.." warning North always feels colder, and makes a wind tunnel outside my door which is now on a dog lead round a grab rail to stop it taking off.

But yes, lovely sunshine. Bright and beautiful!

West Mayo offshore

Sun is shining in wexford.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sryanbruen wrote: »
    No it wasn't. February 2018 was the cold month.

January 2010 was the last very cold January.

for some reason I don't remember January 2010 or February 2010 being particular cold and certainly don't remember any snow then either. I remember of course November/December 2010 but once the snow started melting on Christmas Day that was it for the winter I thought with the second half of winter 2010 fairly mild in comparison and very little if any more snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Snow began falling in Naas in New Year Eve right before midnight Dec 2009. There was a cold spell ensuing after that with regular snowfalls during the first week of January.

I remember that I recorded -13°c on an Aldi weather station that I had. The 6th and 10th of January stand out to me for some reason. Think it was due to heavy snowfall.

But it was also very cold around Christmas 2009 too with plenty of ice and frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Gonzo wrote: »
    for some reason I don't remember January 2010 or February 2010 being particular cold and certainly don't remember any snow then either. I remember of course November/December 2010 but once the snow started melting on Christmas Day that was it for the winter I thought with the second half of winter 2010 fairly mild in comparison and very little if any more snow.

Pad lots of numbers pretty much summed it up. Cold spell began in mid-December 2009 and lasted to mid-January bringing the longest cold spell to Ireland since 1963 although it rarely got severely cold to the depths of the following December, except maybe January 7th/8th when Kilkenny got as low as -16C.

There was a high number of days with snow falling but rarely did they give significant accumulations, again in comparison to the following December or even 2018. Still enough to cause significant disruption to the country.

February was a cold month too but pretty forgettable and disappointing for what it could have achieved with such a high level of blocking to the north.

Here's the number of days of snow falling during Dec 2009 to Mar 2010 from the monthly bulletins:

|Dec 2009|Jan 2010|Feb 2010|Mar 2010
    Shannon Apt|2|7|3|2
    Cork Apt|3|6|1|3
    Malin Head|7|N/A|N/A|2
    Dublin Apt|6|11|4|2
    Casement|7|10|6|2
    Valentia|1|2|1|0
    Belmullet|8|9|8|1
    Knock Apt|11|10|7|4

A pretty cold New Year's Day.

NOAA_1_2010010112_1.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

For September 2020, Dunsany finished up with 69mm of rainfall, most of that total fell during the first few days of September and on Wednesday.

Temperatures crashed during the final week of September, just over a week ago we were sitting at about 15.1C but we finished up at 12.9C for September which is 0.1C cooler than average.

October we only have 1 day so far to report on but we are sitting at 7.3C which is 2.3C below average.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Donegal, Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy and at times intense rainfall with totals of 25 to 40mm expected. River levels will be elevated as a result of this rainfall, which may result in some rivers flooding as well as surface flooding.

Valid: 07:00 Sunday 04/10/2020 to 21:00 Sunday 04/10/2020

Issued: 16:00 Friday 02/10/20

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Donegal, Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo

Heavy and at times intense rainfall with totals of 25 to 40mm expected. River levels will be elevated as a result of this rainfall, which may result in some rivers flooding as well as surface flooding.

Valid: 07:00 Sunday 04/10/2020 to 21:00 Sunday 04/10/2020

Issued: 16:00 Friday 02/10/20

I hope we're not back to where we were in the summer when there was a rain warning every few days, based on the weather the last few days and also the next few days we probably are :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Gonzo wrote: »

January/Feb 2010 was 09/10 winter...the big freeze was same year but the next Winter! Have some nice photos of the snow the 09/10 Winter. Serious snow in Wicklow mountains. I remember snowboarding up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

Another beautiful sunny, crisp autumn day.

Moon is amazing again tonight + Mars is very easy to see right beside it.

Totally still and silent. Lovely to have a quiet night.

A snail's pace amble on the still-dark lanes with cat-ghosts ...watching the light slowly ripen and glow and counting the lighthouse flashes, that wondrous ID system for mariners.

Mild and sweet to be out before full light; a grand day ahead? Although the moon is veiled in cloud and only the shape visible.

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Kildare, Laois, Longford, Wicklow, Offaly, Westmeath, Cavan, Donegal, Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo

Heavy and persistent rainfall on Sunday with totals of 25 to 40mm expected, higher totals over mountainous areas. This may result in some rivers flooding as well as surface flooding.

Valid: 07:00 Sunday 04/10/2020 to 23:00 Sunday 04/10/2020

Issued: 09:30 Saturday 03/10/2020
    —————————————————————

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Donegal, Mayo and Sligo

Northwest winds strengthening on Sunday with mean wind speeds of 50 to 65 km/h and gusts of 90 to 100 km/h.

Valid: 06:00 Sunday 04/10/2020 to 21:00 Sunday 04/10/2020

Issued: 09:00 Saturday 03/10/2020
    ————————————————————-

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Galway, Clare and Kerry

Northwest winds strengthening on Sunday with mean wind speeds of 50 to 65km/h and gusts of 90 to 100km/h.

Valid: 12:00 Sunday 04/10/2020 to 22:00 Sunday 04/10/2020

Issued: 09:00 Saturday 03/10/2020

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A dry bright morning in Castlebar. A day for outdoors today ahead of tomorrows cold wet and windy Sunday.

Raining here a while now. Quite heavy.
    Grey skies,

West Mayo offshore

Lovely sunny morning in wexford. But I have a feeling that October will be another month of deluges.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Another sunny morning here in cork city, remained dry over night

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Rain building slowly in the Irish sea, when it makes it across I think there is going to be some pretty big totals here on the east coast.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Lovely sky; the sun is shining behind the clouds and almost breaking through! A kind of luminescence

That shower was substantial; big puddles!

Totally calm

west mayo offshore

Autumn has certainly arrived with a bang over the past week, with western Europe really feeling the chill today. Spain in particular is now well below normal with temperatures with much of northern Spain colder than Ireland at the moment with temperatures in the low teens almost as far south as the Costa Del Sol. Today's temperatures for Spain are absolutely disgraceful for the time of year, where low to mid twenties are normal in October and high twenties still possible in the south.

temp_sp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Cool and dry Meath
    Partial blue skies earlier in the afternoon.
    Very dark looking to the east coast.

Still, and silently clouds are building up, changing every minute.

• Advertisement

testing

Advertisement