Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,201 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Cork airport gusting 50 knots @ 3pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Can see the clearance now towards the north east here in Meath, only 13mm of rain so far, expected more

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Can see the clearance now towards the north east here in Meath, only 13mm of rain so far, expected more

the clearance is pushing through a bit earlier than expected, it's been a wet day but not as wet as last Wednesday and far less rain than the UK has experienced over the past 3 days. Once we get this wet spell over and done with the middle to second half of October is starting to look considerably dryer and temperatures will begin to recover. However it may cool down again in the final week of October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Soggy here now in Kildare with 18mm in the gauge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Started raining. Wind has also gone down a good bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,897 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Did Met Eireann miss this one?
    I know Donegal had a yellow warning but for me it should easily have been orange.

Did they issue yellow for all the other parts I am reading about in this thread?

On a lighter note! Not long after I posted the message to say how rough and wet it was overnight, I was settling down for my sleep at 7am when I heard an almighty bang. Thought maybe a tree had come down and hit side of house.

Went out to see the trampoline up against the back window of the house!

30 min later we had it dismantled and in the garage but we were soaked through. That trampoline had approx 6 big massive boulders on the legs and withstood several previous storms without moving. Last night managed to shift it though and once free of the boulders it was dangerous.

All good fun. Not.

Rain shield in place around Cork all day. Very little if any rain last night, and apart from a few spots here and there, it's held dry all day. Quite windy but not bad overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Rain has eased in Kildare and gone completely calm too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,201 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Nothing to note here in Castlebar other than a breezy and wet afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

NIMAN wrote: »
    Did Met Eireann miss this one?
    I know Donegal had a yellow warning but for me it should easily have been orange.

Did they issue yellow for all the other parts I am reading about in this thread?

On a lighter note! Not long after I posted the message to say how rough and wet it was overnight, I was settling down for my sleep at 7am when I heard an almighty bang. Thought maybe a tree had come down and hit side of house.

Went out to see the trampoline up against the back window of the house!

30 min later we had it dismantled and in the garage but we were soaked through. That trampoline had approx 6 big massive boulders on the legs and withstood several previous storms without moving. Last night managed to shift it though and once free of the boulders it was dangerous.

All good fun. Not.

lol.. I was seriously wondering earlier where the obligatory runaway trampoline would turn up this time! But certainly not fun and well done ..

I never have opinions re the colour of the warning. "Sky blue pink" , polka dotted...

Still raging out here. Wearisome noise. But it will stop. Always does.

• Advertisement

Started raining. Wind has also gone down a good bit.

Ah yours is so much prettier than mine! Actually my photo did not capture the full glowing coal-egg glory! The heat that comes off so few of them is truly amazing. And was needed yesterday.

The wind is now simply atmospheric. Still a presence and feels bitterly cold

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭pauldry

25mm in Sligo town yesterday

Seems to be the highest

Was very windy too

Belmullet 5mm
    Newport 4mm

strange

A dull evening in wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The weather is now simply sh@# and will be for the next 6 months or more....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Although dank and damp (like 90% of the summer to be honest) very little rain so far this month in Galway, and not much in the forecast either. Could end up being a very dry month here relative to average.

New Moon

"Eleven of the clock and all quiet, " as the old time night watchman would say.

Deeply peaceful.

West mayo offshore

One of my favourite sounds is the crashing of waves on the rocky shore nearby. Loud this morning, and wind song.

Beautiful to wake to.

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

miserable and wet in Dublin 5.

And the gloom has moved in and stolen the world. Dark and dank.

It has robbed us of mountains and ocean, and the sky is falling in great chilling drops

Fire sounds good, VERY good.

• Advertisement

A decent day in wexford. Out one window I can see clear blue skies, and out the other I see full cloud, interesting.

Sunny enough on the East coast today, a lovely walk on the beach this morning and cut the grass for the last time in the afternoon, washed the bird feeders, took leaves off the pond, cut back the last of the dying roses and flowers..........but it certainly feels like Autumn now. The light is going fast and the angle of the sun means my garden gets less sun every day.
    I'm not looking forward to Winter this year, I've a feeling it will be a long one.

Sunny enough on the East coast today, a lovely walk on the beach this morning and cut the grass for the last time in the afternoon, washed the bird feeders, took leaves off the pond, cut back the last of the dying roses and flowers..........but it certainly feels like Autumn now. The light is going fast and the angle of the sun means my garden gets less sun every day.
    I'm not looking forward to Winter this year, I've a feeling it will be a long one.

Agreed, I have a feeling that this winter will be long too. The lack of any decent weather during the summer(at least here in the southeast) and of course the virus and rise of cases.

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of trees are competely bare already, presumably due to the cold weather in September and the storms in August. Usually they still have a few leaves on them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Agreed, I have a feeling that this winter will be long too. The lack of any decent weather during the summer(at least here in the southeast) and of course the virus and rise of cases.

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of trees are competely bare already, presumably due to the cold weather in September and the storms in August. Usually they still have a few leaves on them.

The tree's here in Meath started turning during August, the earliest I've ever seen it. Grass growth was also very poor from July and it dipped even further during August with the most minimal amount of sunshine throughout the summer. Garden is already covered in leaves and the grass hasn't grown in weeks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Many trees suffered due to the very dry Spring. There are two trees behind my house that are completely bare since early August. Leaves started falling off those trees in June!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,569 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

A relatively moderate Atlantic low is moving in, the interesting features may be (a) heavy rainfall in a fairly narrow band along and just north of its track, and (b) temperatures moving up instead of down tonight across the south, probably peaking at something like 17 C near midnight.

Strong (southwest to west) winds do not seem that likely but would say keep a close watch in case it deepens a bit more than predicted, then from Cork to Wexford there could be some strong gusts, but at this point, it may be capped at about 70-80 km/hr.

I toyed with the idea of a thread but will leave that to people who are awake around noon or so, and that won't include me.

Tide-music again in the clear stillness.

As for winter? Old saying, " How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.."

It comes in day-sized portions. And once a day is over? Gone.

a beautiful morning here in Meath, hopefully it will help towards drying out the saturated garden.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

Gonzo wrote: »
    The tree's here in Meath started turning during August, the earliest I've ever seen it. Grass growth was also very poor from July and it dipped even further during August with the most minimal amount of sunshine throughout the summer. Garden is already covered in leaves and the grass hasn't grown in weeks.

Oddly enough, just across the border in North kildare, the first signs of yellowing leaves have only become apparent in the past week or two. Right now, about half the trees around me (and there are lots of trees as I live in a rural/farmland area) are still fully green. Very few leaves have fallen thus far.

Last weekend was the first weekend in a month or more that I didn't need to mow the lawn, although it could certainly do with one now.

Advertisement