Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Sunny morning in meath after a very wet night, 10.8mm of rain in about 8 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Dull morning in Cork, grounds wet. Not raining though!.....yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Milder = rain Cold = dry ...You can rarely have both of what you want mild and sunny...Its just how our weather works

It is actually mild and sunny today in Galway...Even though the sun is very weak this time of year its still feels very warm in the sun...the milder air makes all the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

Cold and cloudy foggy day yesterday in Leitrim. Serious amount of rain last night. Fields flooded locally.
    The rain is becoming an issue around these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Well either some data other than that from the 500 rainfall stations records were used - or they've got some major bug in the system.
    To be wrong by a factor of 2.5 times the rainfall is pretty hefty!

Couldn't agree more. Something is seriously wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

A dull, damp, dreary day in wexford. Ground is soaked from last night's rain. Also it's extremely mild, didn't need my coat going outside. Basically the same as what we've had for most of the summer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Hooter23 wrote: »
    It is actually mild and sunny today in Galway...Even though the sun is very weak this time of year its still feels very warm in the sun...the milder air makes all the difference

Sun wasnt out for long clouded over now...like I said before we rarely get mild and sunny together especially this time of year or even anytime of the year in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

I’m finding it very humid in south mayo !
    Had planned on putting on the stove . I’m now thinking of turning off the central heating later!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

A bit dark but there's no wind and it's lovely and calm and mild in Dublin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today feels warmer than it did for most of the summer, particularly last week of June, all of July and first half of August and last week of August.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Got up to 15.5C here in Kerry, a lot of cloud about with a bit of mist and light rain a couple of times but good sunny breaks also and feeling so mild when out walking along the coast, sure didn't feel like November.

jIUkln4.jpg?2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Rotten in Cork City now, some very heavy spells of rain in the last hour

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭appledrop

Very mild out there today, sunny at time but also misty + drizzlely.

We had the last 99 ice cream for 2020 + he was doing great business which was good to see.

Very heavy rain out there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Gonzo wrote: »
    today feels warmer than it did for most of the summer, particularly last week of June, all of July and first half of August and last week of August.

Very true, i remember June 28th well. A rotten cold wet day that was only 11°c.
    Today got up to 14 which was comfortable even in a tshirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Well either some data other than that from the 500 rainfall stations records were used - or they've got some major bug in the system.
    To be wrong by a factor of 2.5 times the rainfall is pretty hefty!

I notice that your chart (made on November 2nd) stated only 63 stations were used. It is strange indeed, as Mount Dillon had 160 mm and Mullingar 132 mm. It could be that the legend is way off.

Below is the live image, so if it changes it will appear.

mthlyrainmap_102020.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

I notice that your chart (made on November 2nd) stated only 63 stations were used. It is strange indeed, as Mount Dillon had 160 mm and Mullingar 132 mm. It could be that the legend is way off.

Below is the live image, so if it changes it will appear.

mthlyrainmap_102020.png

I notice its labelled "provisional" so I assume that means it will be corrected?

However it shouldn't be difficult to automatically detect a bug like that or "dirty data".
    One glance from the map to 1 or 2 station totals would have picked that up.

Anyway my point was that it's not very professional to release maps like that without some basic quality control

Another warm, wet, dreary day here in wexford. The same as that week back in August. Absolutely awful. I much prefer cold, clear, sunny weather.

Getting dark now so thankfully I won't have to look at that awful grey sky for much longer today.

today was dark and grim for the most part in Dublin but no wind again, which is a win for me! I've been uncomfortably warm all day though, not sure if I'm feverish or it's very mild.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Galway, Mayo, Cork and Kerry

Met Éireann Weather Warning

25 to 40mm expected, higher in mountainous regions. Localised flooding will occur.

Valid: 18:00 Tuesday 10/11/2020 to 12:00 Wednesday 11/11/2020

Issued: 19:00 Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We have just been a small amble down the oceanside lane, and a sharpness in the air. Very different from the last few blissfully calm days.

A squally breeze building up with a chill in its breath.

It was good to get back indoors. .

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Another warm, wet, dreary day here in wexford. The same as that week back in August. Absolutely awful. I much prefer cold, clear, sunny weather.
    The ground is soaked in South Kildare again. There was a bit of respite from the summer months of rain in October but it's back again. At least most of the rain falls at night now unlike the summer when the days were wet.
    I would love some crisp clear frosty days with a nice nip in the air!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Emme wrote: »
    The ground is soaked in South Kildare again. There was a bit of respite from the summer months of rain in October but it's back again. At least most of the rain falls at night now unlike the summer when the days were wet.
    I would love some crisp clear frosty days with a nice nip in the air!

same here in Meath. Ground here has been saturated for most of the past year. It was saturated till mid April after the 7 month deluge of September 2019 to March 2020. By early July it was back to saturated again after the deluges end of June and all the way through July. Saturated again end of August then dried up in early September. Now it's back to totally saturated again over the past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Gonzo wrote: »
    same here in Meath. Ground here has been saturated for most of the past year. It was saturated till mid April after the 7 month deluge of September 2019 to March 2020. By early July it was back to saturated again after the deluges end of June and all the way through July. Saturated again end of August then dried up in early September. Now it's back to totally saturated again over the past few weeks.

February 2020 seemed unbelievably wet and water levels here in Galway were at worrying levels but March was dry as far as I can remember. April/May were very dry too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

The wind is rising audibly now and a chill being blown in,

It has been a lovely mild spell to get the garden sorted before winter.

Magnificent cloudscapes .

west mayo offshore

Another great day in Dublin for this time of year. Zero wind and mild af. Great weather for jogging in the autumnal park.
    I would always take days like this over the rubbish we got in summer.

An alright day in wexford, better than yesterday anyway as no constant rain and slightly cooler. Also with a bit more sunshine.

Loudly wild and wet. Strong southerly roaring and rampaging. With a bitter chill on its breath.

The winds have a different voice depending on direction ( "airt" as they said in Orkney) The southerly is louder and more threatening. The dwelling here protect most against the northerly Atlantic blasts.

The stove WILL be lit today! And no early walk...

West Mayo offshore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

A windy dark but not overly wet morning in Kildare. Mild too. 13°

Advertisement