Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly, and in some ways, it is even worse. No sunlight, no starlight, no moonlight; just endless low cloud, the odd spit and worst of all, that endless humid warmth that just will not **** off. Last night we were promised a clear, crisp coolish night with temps going down to about 7c. Instead, the cloud persisted throughout with temps not falling below 11c. Ten days into September now and not one night has seen a single figure min here. This is completely abnormal by any measure and no sign of any relent in this God awful pattern at all.

You should consider moving to an offshore island. They've had frost already. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A wet morning here in Castlebar, already brightening up from the north west though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You should consider moving to an offshore island. They've had frost already. ��

Not a ground frost; as I said a very light grass frost at first light in a deeply shaded place. There was the same one day in August on a similar very clear very early morning. And the same last year at the same time. Gone by full light but very noticeable. Just a slight frosting on green leaves and rather lovely.

If you google grass frost Ireland you will see that it can happen in May. a/c to met.ie, and during summer . But you need to be out very early in the day..It will be widespread and common and not just out here! lol....I honestly thought that folk here would know about it? Very surprised and remembering the scepticism last year now.

Taking time out for my weblog I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Cleared here to a bright and dry windy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Cold. Dark. Windy. Meath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Could be quite windy on Saturday...we usually get quite strong sustained winds...when we have low pressure out in the atlantic being blocked by high pressure...will be quite a warm wind anyway for this time of the year

Looking at the charts just now its looks like strongest of the winds in northwest...most places might miss it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Kutebride wrote: »
    Cold. Dark. Windy. Meath

Same in Dublin now, sigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I spoke to soon we’re back to the normal cool windy cloudy threatening to rain. Can we not even get one decent days weather with no wind no cloud just blue skies and sunshine FFS it’s not to much to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Donegal

From noon on Saturday to noon on Sunday, 25 to 35 mm of rain possible.

Some uncertainty. This warning will be updated before noon on Saturday.

Valid: 12:00 Saturday 12/09/2020 to 12:00 Sunday 13/09/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭appledrop

Feels very chilly out there today. Think its the biting wind.

Sunday meant to be sunny but I wont hold my breath. Met Eireann have predicted sunny weather for Dublin since June + it never appeared!

Ah well what can you do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today really feels bitter outside, feels no more than 9 or 10C with a stiff breeze at times.Should be warmer on Sunday and on Monday in the east and south.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

appledrop wrote: »
    Feels very chilly out there today. Think its the biting wind.

Sunday meant to be sunny but I wont hold my breath. Met Eireann have predicted sunny weather for Dublin since June + it never appeared!

Ah well what can you do.

Unfortunately it's not looking great for sunshine. The high pressure is rolling in across England and Wales from Monday with a mini heatwave there for a few days and 32C is possible there, but the cloud from the Atlantic will be over Ireland from Sunday afternoon with showers developing in places and there could be a band of rain stuck over western and north-western areas on Monday and into Tuesday. Temperatures will be higher for a few days but there is likely to be alot of cloud around for us as this is Ireland. However if sunny breaks do occur it could feel quite warm with temperatures getting close to 20 or 21C.

Gonzo wrote: »
    today really feels bitter outside, feels no more than 9 or 10C with a stiff breeze at times.Should be warmer on Sunday and on Monday in the east and south.

I'm in Louth , right beside the sea and its not bitter at all here ?(and I feel the cold dreadfully). 17 degrees ain't too bad for 11 September, long breezy walk on Laytown beach earlier. Gonna get a lot more bitter than this soon :rolleyes:

Im also finding it quite cold in Dublin. Just cycled a bit and it started raining and hands are numb. Feels a lot colder than it's supposed to be.

alot of the models now going for an easterly to set up from mid week with high pressure to our north-east, this would lower temperatures particularly in Dublin and eastern areas in general. The ECM and GEM would bring alot of dry weather next week. The GFS is still more unsettled with more of an Atlantic influence with rain across the west from Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Dull wet cool evening here was a nice morning up until about mid day but since then utter rubbish again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yes theres potential for 21c in the West many days next week. Its beginning to get chilly. Dont want to buy heating oil yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Dull and starting to rain now. Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

pauldry wrote: »
    Yes theres potential for 21c in the West many days next week. Its beginning to get chilly. Dont want to buy heating oil yet
    You should get heating oil in. Roughly €500 for 1000l now. Was down to around €400 from the crash in march. Will probably just keep going up from now. :)

The forecasts that showed Sunday as blazing sun all day seem to now be forecasting the day to be cloudier and cloudier as we get nearer to the day. Ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Aren't forecasts great they always predict huge storms and fine weather...they give us what we want...until the day actually arrives...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭appledrop

The forecasts that showed Sunday as blazing sun all day seem to now be forecasting the day to be cloudier and cloudier as we get nearer to the day. Ffs.

I'm not one bit surprised. All summer they were forever predicting sunny days in Dublin that never came through + looks like same again this Sunday.

Their forecasts have been shocking for Dublin this summer way out. There were days when cloud Dawn to dusk yet the app would tell you that the sun would be coming in next hour, or next hour. Never happened.

appledrop wrote: »
    I'm not one bit surprised. All summer they were forever predicting sunny days in Dublin that never came through + looks like same again this Sunday.

Their forecasts have been shocking for Dublin this summer way out. There were days when cloud Dawn to dusk yet the app would tell you that the sun would be coming in next hour, or next hour. Never happened.

We haven't been able to get rid of the Atlantic influence all summer, we get so close but always just that little bit too far north and west. Anytime we managed to lose it's grip then the Irish sea provided the enhanced level of cloud over Dublin/Meath and parts of Kildare whenever there was a sniff of high pressure or warm uppers. Similar story next week, the cloud from the west will already be rolling in by the time the warm uppers get here with the hot unbroken sunshine ahead to that over England and Wales. If we get the easterly going from mid week then we will likely have cool onshore winds and possibly cloud/mist/fog to deal with so we will probably lose out on the sun yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Nice sunset tonight after a cloudy day in Dublin with partial effects of the smoke from the fires in west US.

Another beautiful morning in Cork City. Just reading back through thread and looks like we've done really well since the start of September compared to other parts. Very dry (Just 13mm so far, nearly all recorded on Sep 1 and 2) and warm even if we could have done with a bit more sun. Was out digging in the garden yesterday evening and the ground is bone dry again after getting a good drenching in August. Looks like a 10th straight dry day.

Beautiful now in Dublin, long may it last

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Lovely morning here and the skies are almost clear, it's quite warm as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Dark, wet and windy in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Windy and cool in south mayo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,396 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Warm in Dublin

Advertisement