Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to upgrade

Options
  • 01-09-2020 5:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Hey all
    So my current rig is 9 years old and its time for a refresh. This is what I have

• Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz S1155 6MB
    • GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB PCI-Express HDMI
    • 8GB (2 x 4GB) HyperX DDR3 1600MHz DIMM 240-pin CL9 XMP
    • S1155 Intel Z68 DDR3 ATX
    • 250GB 840 EVO Series SATA 6Gbps SSD Solid State Disk 2.5-inch
    • XFX 650W XXX Edition Modular PSU
    • Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower

Looking to run 3DS Max/Photoshop and the new FS2020. Would also need a decent monitor, probably 24” and a copy of Windows 10. Ideally would like to maybe re-use any of the above parts, PSU and case maybe? But if they’re outdated and not suitable, I’m good for a complete re-build.

No real budget but ideally under the 2k mark, just want a solid machine and would be great to have it pre-built.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

No doubt the heavy lifters will be along now with hardcore advice, but you are pretty much in my shoes as I just recently upgraded from the same cpu and ram etc.

I went with a Ryzen 9 setup, as I am going to be playing games and rendering 4K video alot but a Ryzen 7 3700/3800 seems to be the sweet spot for bang for buck and performance. There are some really nice x570 mobos aswell that are not gaming orientated, as soon as gaming is in the title you are adding 150 euro onto the price and not always worth it imho.

There are also some good deals on RAM I found at the minute, try to stick to CL16 Ram timings for a Ryzen setup. The G SKill Trident Neo Z ram is optismised for Ryzen and quite a good price.

As for a monitor, without a shadow of a doubt I would go with the LG 27850GL .Its the best 27 inch IPS monitor on the market for its price not everywhere has them but I have seen them in stock for €500.

I would deffo save a few quid and build it myself if I was you, pre built rigs can be pricey but if you not confident then I am sure the lads will know where to buy a good rig.

Also the price drop in vat will help you save a few pennies also ;)

casekings.de is a very good site to browse and start a wishlist to get the ball rolling. Here are some others

AWD-IT
    Ebuyer
    Scan.co.uk
    casekings.de
    cconline
    OCUK

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭cherrytaz

So I've come up with the below for a good mix of performance VS price. I need the 32GB RAM for AutoCAD and a few other things.

Any suggestions for a god 27" Monitor or any suggested changes in the below?
    • CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
    • CPU Cooler Arctic Freezer 34 eSports
    • Extra Fan for Cooler Arctic BioniX P120
    • Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahaek Max
    • Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2 X 16GB) DDR4 3200
    • Storage Western Digital Blue SN550 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD
    • GPU EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 Super 8 GB
    • Case Thermaltake H200 TG
    • Case Fans Arctic P12 PWM PSTT Value Pack
    • Power Supply Corsair TX650M 650W Semi-Modular 80_ Gold PSU
    • Wireless Network Adapter Ubit AC 1200 Mbps Bluetooth WiFi Card
    • Thermal Compound MX-4
    • OS Windows 10
    • Monitor ??

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

I reallyyyy wouldn't buy now if you can hold out for a few months. Nvidia launched their new cards and they look like MUCH better value than the 20 series

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

If you're not in a rush I'd say hold out for the 3070 (releasing in October) as it's only another £100 or so over msrp for the 2060 super but reports so far of the performance are massive in comparison. Or you could try nab a 2070 super or even a 2080 for a bit cheaper second hand once the benchmarks etc start to come out for the next gen cards and prices will start to drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor (Purchased For £0.00)
    Motherboard: MSI X470 GAMING PRO MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For £0.00)
    Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£96.56 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£121.97 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case (£79.95 @ CCL Computers)
    Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£104.44 @ Amazon UK)
    Custom: Mobo/CPU bundle @ AWD-IT (£424.99)
    Custom: Nvidia Geforce RTX 3080 10Gb (£649.00)
    Total: £1476.91
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-02 11:34 BST+0100

2060 Super is a bad buy.
    Also check German prices, I just use UK sites for simplicity.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much all. I will hold off another month or two and see how the new cards impact the market.

Best 27 inch IPS monitor on the market at the moment is the LG27850GL.....can be found online for €500.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,023 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Best 27 inch IPS monitor on the market at the moment is the LG27850GL.....can be found online for €500.

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B088BS1LMX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_c_WhbuFbB775J1P

Much difference in the GN and GL model?

TitianGerm wrote: »

Would like to know also?

Im sure there is but I dont know, I just seen the review by Hardware Unboxed and for me they are legit for monitor reviews....the GL model is hard to get currently as its very good.

Stick the model number in the Hardware Unboxed Youtube account see it they have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

TitianGerm wrote: »

Found this, as I am looking at upgrading my monitor as well

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/gkgl4p/comparison_and_review_between_the_new_lg_27gn850b/

Looks like they are identical panels, with the GL not having usb

Interesting, I will keep an eye out for the other LG part number.

I not mad on the looks but for €500 its a hell of a monitor, well for me I will be upgrading from a Benq 24" 60hz 1920x1200 monitor I have for nearly 10 yrs!

Instead of buying a super de duper RGB ASUS I put the money into the Ryzen 9 build....hence why I am skimping on the monitor.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Make sure you give that 2500K a proper send off with full military honors

Press F to pay respect.

Azza wrote: »
    Make sure you give that 2500K a proper send off with full military honors

Press F to pay respect.

Yeah, I have the same chip currently and its the best build I ever did. 4.5ghz overclock since the day I got it and its still flying.....never missed a beat in 11 yrs or so.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Yeah, I have the same chip currently and its the best build I ever did. 4.5ghz overclock since the day I got it and its still flying.....never missed a beat in 11 yrs or so.

Yeah up till recently I had a 3570K the direct successor to the 2500K, its almost as legendary as the 2500K. Both where absolutely fantastic chips, excellent value for money with great longevity.

Advertisement