Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sue builder for noise

Options
  • 01-09-2020 7:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Is it possible to sue builder for impact noise? The apartment above us is rental, the last six months have been really bad - kid running all the time, adults jumping, moving furniture, dropping stuff on the floor.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Is it possible to sue builder for impact noise? The apartment above us is rental, the last six months have been really bad - kid running all the time, adults jumping, moving furniture, dropping stuff on the floor.

Where does the builder come into this?
    The cause of the problem is the noses from people upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Gumbo wrote: »
    Where does the builder come into this?
    I presume the suggestion is that the builder failed to provide adequate noise insulation/failed to comply with building standards regarding noise insulation.

OP - a starting point might be to get an engineer to inspect the insulation and report on whether it complies with any applicable building regulations/with what is considered good practice in apartment construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Your course of action would be that the apartments weren't built to the building regulations at the time. Assuming that turns out to be the case all you'd do is land yourself and the other owners with a huge bill I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 TiredOfNoise

We had an acoustic test done, they say everything is within norm. How can it be if we hear all these noises? It has been a nightmare for 4 years now.

The apartment above is rental and they have hardwood floors, I heard recently that this is not allowed? Is there a way to force the owner to install carpets?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

We had an acoustic test done, they say everything is within norm. How can it be if we hear all these noises? It has been a nightmare for 4 years now.

The apartment above is rental and they have hardwood floors, I heard recently that this is not allowed? Is there a way to force the owner to install carpets?

Your course of action is against the owner.
    You need to engage with them.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Maybe what your experiencing now is the norm, and what you had before was exceptionally quite?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Check your head lease. That should say if they're not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Do they have wood flooring?I lived in a apt block before and only ground floor apts were permitted to have wood flooring.

You need to engage with them. You say the last 6 months. Perhaps they are working from home and also have a child no longer in school? Maybe things will settle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Its getting more and more like america everyday. You should apply to judge judy!

Not to minimise the inconvenience of having a noisy neighbour above you, because i have experienced that. But the only course of action you suggest is to sue the builder? Really? No other possible avenues you can think of that should at least be tried 1st?

Some of the suggestion already made

Like knocking on your neighbours door and having a civil constructive discussion?

Checking the regulations for the apartment you live in- re wooden floors above etc.

Getting a report to see if the apartment is actually built to code - this might actually be an important 1st step before thinking of suing anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

If they have wooden floors it's something you should be able to make a complaint to the management agent about. No point in talking to the tenant. As someone else said, check your headlease first to make sure they're not allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the fact that there are apartments in Ireland where the headlease can ban wooden floors because of poor insulation is madness. We really need to severely implement minimum standards for sound insulation here.

Ive been in other apartments in the EU where you could have had a lad playing a drum kit above you and not heard it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 TiredOfNoise

So, in Ireland we just accept bad soundproofing? Thanks about the head lease thing, need to check it. Not sure if that would help though as all apartment hallways have ceramic tiles that literally amplify impact noise.

We tried to talk to them, they told us (very aggressively) to go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

You need to keep some noise on in your own apartment such as a tv or radio, playing in the background.

If you are sitting in dead silence in your own place, every bang and knock from above will go right through you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

You could report the issue to the management agency
    keep a note of dates and times
    The management agency could approach the owner /landlord ,but the chances of him doing anything are slim

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Aron722

One reason why I would never get an apartment to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

So, in Ireland we just accept bad soundproofing? Thanks about the head lease thing, need to check it. Not sure if that would help though as all apartment hallways have ceramic tiles that literally amplify impact noise.

In an ideal world no you don't have to accept bad soundproofing. Unfortunately in the real world the fix will cost you, and the other owners, thousands and since the hallways have ceramic tiles it might not be that effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Caranica wrote: »
    If they have wooden floors it's something you should be able to make a complaint to the management agent about. No point in talking to the tenant. As someone else said, check your headlease first to make sure they're not allowed.

since when are wooden floors not allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Probably around the same time as making unnecessary noise was not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They have usually (not universally) been banned in the house rules for apartment blocks since the 90s if not earlier.

Nonsense. Most apartments for sale on daft have wooden floors.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

hence threads like this.

There was no clause like this when I purchased the apartment more than 10 years ago. As far as I know most of the apartments in the complex have sino sort of wooden floors. There is almost no noise from neighbors. Blame the lack of sound insulation, not the wooden floors.

Maybe some other developments have the clause. I was never aware of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It's quite a common provision in apartment developments. It's also quite often completely ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

We tried to talk to them, they told us (very aggressively) to go away.
    Yeah that's Irish people, don't give a buck about anyone but themselves. I know what noisy upstairs neighbours can be like, had the same craic in clonskeagh.
    Total headwreck. Took a year to sort it out but we got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its not nonsense

People breaking the rules proves nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

L1011 wrote: »
    Its not nonsense

People breaking the rules proves nothing.

It probably proves that the condition is unenforceable.

It’s well known that wooden floors have been stated as banned in apartment development management contracts that owners sign when buying.

It was in my apartment contracts when I bought in 2006.

The rules are there. Speed lists are there also, people break them. Doesn’t mean they are nonsense.
    Log cabins get added to back gardens. Not allowed. Not nonsense.

Dav010 wrote: »
    It probably proves that the condition is unenforceable.

+1

I’m not aware of a single apartment owner who has been made to remove tiles or wooden flooring.

In many new builds nowadays, they get a resilient layer fixed to the floors to help with impact noises.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

+1

I’m not aware of a single apartment owner who has been made to remove tiles or wooden flooring.

In many new builds nowadays, they get a resilient layer fixed to the floors to help with impact noises.

There was an epic thread on this forum of a case just like that. Owner had to sue upstairs neighbour and management company iirc and got an order that the wooden floors be removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

+1

I worked on a building in Croydon almost 30 years ago, had a soundproofing layer almost 2 inch thick, and a wooden layer atop that. It was fantastic.
    It wasn't expensive, but it's cheaper to leave it out and let noise problems be landed on some poor schmucks plate.

Advertisement