Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of dimmer switch do I need

Options
  • 01-09-2020 7:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

I have a 2 gang dimmer switch in my hall.

One of them controls the hall light - a central chandelier type light with 10 Halogen G9 28W bulbs; it is the only switch for that light

The other controls the stair & landing lights, which are 5 recessed spots, with the old GU10 (50W) bulbs. For these lights there are two other switches upstairs (so 3 in total).

I think I have, by now, bought up Ireland's supply of the old 50W GU10 bulbs, so I need to switch to LEDs, which means I will need to change out the dimmer switches, I believe. I am 95% sure that the dimmer switch installed was not for dimmable LEDs.

So other than buy a 2 gang LED Dimmer switch, what are the other things I need to consider (1-way, 2-way, power ratings?).

While I am OK to swap out all the GU10 bulbs for LEDs, ideally, I would prefer to keep the 10 Halogen G9 bulbs in the chandelier, as they seem to last forever; if I have to swap them out for LEDs I can, but prefer not to if possible

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

tombrown wrote: »
    I have a 2 gang dimmer switch in my hall.

One of them controls the hall light - a central chandelier type light with 10 Halogen G9 28W bulbs; it is the only switch for that light

The other controls the stair & landing lights, which are 5 recessed spots, with the old GU10 (50W) bulbs. For these lights there are two other switches upstairs (so 3 in total).

I think I have, by now, bought up Ireland's supply of the old 50W GU10 bulbs, so I need to switch to LEDs, which means I will need to change out the dimmer switches, I believe. I am 95% sure that the dimmer switch installed was not for dimmable LEDs.

So other than buy a 2 gang LED Dimmer switch, what are the other things I need to consider (1-way, 2-way, power ratings?).

While I am OK to swap out all the GU10 bulbs for LEDs, ideally, I would prefer to keep the 10 Halogen G9 bulbs in the chandelier, as they seem to last forever; if I have to swap them out for LEDs I can, but prefer not to if possible

You will most likely need to get a trailing edge dimmer but some LEDs will work with a triac or leading edge dimmer. Either will work with the halogens but you just need to decide what LEDs you are going to use and get a dimmer to suit them.
    You can only put one dimmer on a 2 way circuit so need to worry about that. LEDs use very little power so your only concern in regards to power ratings will be the halogens.

aido79 wrote: »
    You can only put one dimmer on a 2 way circuit so need to worry about that.

I have 2 way dimmers from varilight!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tombrown

You will most likely need to get a trailing edge dimmer but some LEDs will work with a triac or leading edge dimmer. Either will work with the halogens but you just need to decide what LEDs you are going to use and get a dimmer to suit them.
    You can only put one dimmer on a 2 way circuit so need to worry about that. LEDs use very little power so your only concern in regards to power ratings will be the halogens.

Thanks

So should I get 2 gang 2-way ?

I have 2 way dimmers from varilight!

Have you got 2 of on a 2 way circuit?

Thanks

So should I get 2 gang 2-way ?

Yes. Most switches are 2 way by default.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

You can also get a grid switch if you want to have dimmers of different ratings on the plate to meet the halogen demand.

Grid switches a bit uglier but by no means a no go.

Thanks for all the input

Forgive the dumb question, but -

If I get a dimmer rated for more than 280W (to accommodate the halogens) is there any disadvantage for the LEDs on the other switch (or even when I eventually replace the halogens with LEDs)? Will the lowest dim setting be brighter than it would be with a lower rated dimmer?

Yes. Most switches are 2 way by default.

Yes I've 2 on a two way .
    The are digital.
    A master and a slave setup.
    Both can control independently of the others setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Thanks for all the input

Forgive the dumb question, but -

If I get a dimmer rated for more than 280W (to accommodate the halogens) is there any disadvantage for the LEDs on the other switch (or even when I eventually replace the halogens with LEDs)? Will the lowest dim setting be brighter than it would be with a lower rated dimmer?

Not sure, but a grid switch solves this problem. You can have two different rated dimmers on the same switch.

Thanks - I'd prefer not to have to o with a grid switch if possible, but its an option to consider I am sure

One other dumb question - will the power ratign for a 2 gang dimmer be divided between the two circuits or is it full per circuti? i.e. for a 300W 2 gang dimmer can I run two sets of 300W lights or two sets of 150W?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yes I've 2 on a two way .
    The are digital.
    A master and a slave setup.
    Both can control independently of the others setting.

Interesting, I was wondering how you did this.
    Do you have a link?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

One other dumb question - will the power ratign for a 2 gang dimmer be divided between the two circuits or is it full per circuti? i.e. for a 300W 2 gang dimmer can I run two sets of 300W lights or two sets of 150W?

The issue is heat. So I would expect that a given device (or module) or space can only handle up to a specific load regardless of how many circuits. So 300W is the sum total.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

you need a nuteral at switch and earth wire
    i would try original dimmers but they also make led dimmers

2011 wrote: »
    Interesting, I was wondering how you did this.
    Do you have a link?

Here is a link to the master units

https://www.varilight.co.uk/configurator/product.php?code=JQI401

They are available in 2 gang (what i have) and different finishes .
    They can also be switched via IR from your TV remote.
    Leading or trailing edge setting also.

Advertisement