Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance after a claim a few years ago

Options
  • 01-09-2020 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,

Anybody with car insurance experience got advice on this scenario?
    I had a claim 4 years and 10 months ago. My insurance policy is up for renewal now, but even with 4 years NCB, no penalty points, my premium is still getting heavy loading. Shopping around in previous years came to nothing because of declaring the claim. This year's proposed premium is the straw that broke the camel's back though, it's outrageous.

- If I pay the premium and cancel the day after 5 years No Claims and shop around for a new policy - would I get a 5 years NCB cert? Or does it only come at the end of the premium year? Do insurers ask about cancelled policies?

- Assuming that in 2 months I could apply for insurance while not having to declare a claim in the past 5 years, would I conceivably be better to just not drive and have a 2 month gap in insurance? With this option, I would only have the 4 years NCB cert. Do insurers ask why you only have 4 years NCB even if you're declaring no claims for 5 years?

Thanks for any help.

Advertisement