Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,201 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

kilsmum wrote: »
    Data speeds are very poor. I moved at the start of the month on the 9.99 price plan. Just to warn you before you jump ship from other networks

Kilsmum

You've said that a few times, it's device and location dependent as with all networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Its a piss poor way to treat your existing customers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

You've said that a few times, it's device and location dependent as with all networks.

Is it though? I'm on three at the moment and just tried a speed test and i'm getting 40-50 down and 6 Up on 4G, I am thinking of switching. Ordered a sim card there.

But i got this in the confirmation email. It says max speeds at least once in any 24 hours. So are those the max speeds?? Worth looking into maybe.

Contractual Speeds
    The estimated maximum upload and download speeds achievable at least once in any 24 hour period in
    realistic usage conditions (the "Contractual Estimated Maximum Upload and Download Speeds") under your
    agreement (per technology) made available are as follows:

Technology Estimated max. (download) Estimated max. (upload)

3G - 2.5Mbps - 0.49Mbps
    4G - 10Mbps - 2.8Mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

if I join the 7.99 euro offer and am abroad in the EU and ring a mobile/landline in Ireland. Will I be charged extra or is included in the 7.99 offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

if I join the 7.99 euro offer and am abroad in the EU and ring a mobile/landline in Ireland. Will I be charged extra or is included in the 7.99 offer?

No extra charges for that situation. UK roaming also included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,201 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Is it though? I'm on three at the moment and just tried a speed test and i'm getting 40-50 down and 6 Up on 4G, I am thinking of switching. Ordered a sim card there.

But i got this in the confirmation email. It says max speeds at least once in any 24 hours. So are those the max speeds?? Worth looking into maybe.

Contractual Speeds
    The estimated maximum upload and download speeds achievable at least once in any 24 hour period in
    realistic usage conditions (the "Contractual Estimated Maximum Upload and Download Speeds") under your

3G - 2.5Mbps - 0.49Mbps
    4G - 10Mbps - 2.8Mbps

It is 3, not sure if they throttle it.

Contractual Speeds

3G - 2.5Mbps - 0.49Mbps
    4G - 10Mbps - 2.8Mbps

Every network is obliged to publish maximum network speeds attainable. It's a moot point as they could easily specify a a speed of 1Mbps once a day and Comreg would be satisfied that the obligation to publish speed is met and it let's network off the hook for what would be considered poor download speed of 1Mbps. There is no minimum speed set by Comreg that must be achieved to describe a service as 3G or 4G.

The only network capping speed is Vodafone, all the rest are allowing congestion dictate speeds to the enduser.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭jeoun

Its a piss poor way to treat your existing customers

100% agree with you. I was very pleased when I received my email that my data allowance was increased (not that I had been even coming close to using the 20GB) but to see the cheaper price this morning (around 10 minutes after buying my new membership) really pee'd me off!

I would be perfectly happy with 20GB for the €7.99 a month. I have made my complaint to them but if the new membership is not offered, I will port my number out, activate a new sim and port back in again. I think all existing customers should do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

How do you top up with 48?
    Card?
    Paypal?
    Purchase in a shop machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Myself and the missus have been with them 7 years and this is some ****ty way to treat long term customers. We have both complained for what it is worth...

• Advertisement

How do you top up with 48?
    Card?
    Paypal?
    Purchase in a shop machine?

Card only

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Just bought a Tesco SIM today. Can i port to 48 for this offer or do I have to order a new SIM from 48?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Every network is obliged to publish minimum network speeds attainable. It's a moot point as they could easily specify a a speed of 1Mbps once a day and Comreg would be satisfied that the obligation to publish speed is met and it let's network off the hook for what would be considered poor download speed of 1Mbps. There is no minimum speed set by Comreg that must be achieved to describe a service as 3G or 4G.

The only network capping speed is Vodafone, all the rest are allowing congestion dictate speeds to the enduser.

You say minimum but that says maximum.

Sure i'll give it a go anyway and see how she runs. Only way to tell really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Did anyone know if a 48 SIM will work on a phone locked to 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Just bought a Tesco SIM today. Can i port to 48 for this offer or do I have to order a new SIM from 48?
    If you just bought it, why the need to port? Just order new SIM, unless Tesco has some very easy to remember number you want to keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Sim ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

I just tried to order a sim card but getting message that I'm outside of Ireland (greetz from Wicklow btw).
    And no I do not use any vpn and my dns is set up by internet provider (hi Vodafone).
    Then went on chat and 20 min later decided that I don't want to to leave gomo just for sake of 2 euros.
    Support chat crowd isn't great I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Is this allowed in a router for creating a wifi network. I did do a speed test on lyca while I was in the target location and found the speeds good. Am I right in assuming if you have a lyca signal, you will get the same from 48?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭gipi

Data speeds are very poor. I moved at the start of the month on the 9.99 price plan. Just to warn you before you jump ship from other networks

Kilsmum

My 48 data speed this evening - much faster than my WiFi broadband!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

Gipi your speeds are great. I'm in Cork. Last speed test was 0.60 download 5.89 upload

Kilsmum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Will 48 work on a locked 3 network phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

Thanks Drunk monkey!! I put up the post and it didn't show so did another one.....it could be my phone. I was thinking that too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Ordered a SIM to try it out. I've noticed GoMo/Eir reception has gotten quite poor in recent months

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

castle2012 wrote: »
    Will 48 work on a locked 3 network phone?
    No. 48 is coded as a separate network so your phone will have to be unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Thanks Drunk monkey!! I put up the post and it didn't show so did another one.....it could be my phone. I was thinking that too

Might have been your coverage :p:pac:

Ordered a Sim myself so might take a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭littlecopilot

Can't seem to order with this message on both data and WiFi

"Looks like you're accessing this page from outside Ireland. 48 don't deliver SIMs internationally as our SIMs are primarily for domestic use."

How did you get by this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Would this have better coverage than Gomo? I'm based in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ush1 wrote: »
    Would this have better coverage than Gomo? I'm based in Dublin.

It depends on where exactly you’ll be using it. both networks will have good and bad coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It depends on where exactly you’ll be using it. both networks will have good and bad coverage.

So I was with Gomo until yesterday lunchtime, seen the offer and had a 48 SIM I got a few months back but never activated. I decided to activate it and port my number over. Porting was done in about 15 minutes. Then I noticed that the 7.99 plan wasn't available on my account. Used live chat and was told a ticket would need to be created for it to be looked into and I'd get an email when it's fixed within 3 working days. Didn't receive any mail but checked this morning and the plan is there now. Set it up for auto-renewal and is working well. Speeds are about the same as Gomo and identical to 3 in my area at least. At that price it's too good not to try out.

If anyone wants a free month have a look in the referrals forum

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114561015&postcount=2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Gera88

what happens if you go over 100gb do they charge you extra or can u buy addons

Advertisement