Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭irishchris

I went back onto chat and explained and within a minute she had added the bundle and set it to autonew! Very impressed again :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

irishchris wrote: »
    I have had nightmares today with 48. Port went through successfully and easy within 20 mins but no sign of the 7.99 bundle. There is only 9.99 and 14.99 bundles. Spent 40 minutes with chat before he eventually said he couldn't do anything but open a case and should hopefully hear within a few days. Very annoyed at the lack of clarity from them but in saying that on occasions in past I have been with 48 network and were excellent so giving them the benefit of the doubt on this one

Same happened to me yesterday and it was fixed by this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

I've been trying to order a SIM since yesterday and when I click order I keep getting "Something went wrong, please try later" with no other info. Anyone else getting this?

JDxtra wrote: »
    I'm going to give this a miss. I keep getting the error - "Looks like you're accessing this page from outside Ireland".

If they can't sort out their systems, this will be more grief than it's worth for a few Euro.

It's more likely the network you're on. If you're using a work computer or VPN, the IP address you have may be outside of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

danmci wrote: »
    I've been trying to order a SIM since yesterday and when I click order I keep getting "Something went wrong, please try later" with no other info. Anyone else getting this?

I got that error too but then the webpage redirected me to another page saying "your sim is en-route". Did you wait a minute and see if the page re-directs you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

It's more likely the network you're on. If you're using a work computer or VPN, the IP address you have may be outside of Ireland

I have the same problem:
    525816.png

On chromebook so can't change browser and no ad blocker.

I have the same problem:
    525816.png

On chromebook so can't change browser and no ad blocker.

Strange. Try on your mobile using your mobile network (not your home ISP)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Strange. Try on your mobile using your mobile network (not your home ISP)

It's definitely an issue with however 48 are determining location, it's been happening for months. I ported from 3 and they were insisting even using my mobile that I was outside Ireland, stupid given it's their own network.

I think though that was using Brave, though was having the same issue with Firefox on the PC. I suspect there's something involved in however they're checking the location or displaying the results that gets blocked by privacy plugins, and when it fails it defaults to saying you're outside the country.

Can't remember how I did it, think I eventually managed it with Chrome on the mobile.

JTMan wrote: »
    I got that error too but then the webpage redirected me to another page saying "your sim is en-route". Did you wait a minute and see if the page re-directs you?

no luck. went on chat and asked them to order it for me

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

MOH wrote: »
    It's definitely an issue with however 48 are determining location, it's been happening for months. I ported from 3 and they were insisting even using my mobile that I was outside Ireland, stupid given it's their own network.

I think though that was using Brave, though was having the same issue with Firefox on the PC. I suspect there's something involved in however they're checking the location or displaying the results that gets blocked by privacy plugins, and when it fails it defaults to saying you're outside the country.

Can't remember how I did it, think I eventually managed it with Chrome on the mobile.
    ISPs such as Vodafone and Virgin have a habit of recycling IP addresses that were previously assigned to other countries. Whatever database 48's web server is looking up must not be up-to-date and that's why it thinks you're outside of Ireland.

Why they're checking this is another question as they'll only post SIMs to Irish addresses anyway. Makes no sense to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭chases0102

Is there any way out of mobile phone contracts for offers like this?!?!

Raging I’m tied into contract with Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

chases0102 wrote: »

You could pay the full remaining bill to get out early if it's just a couple of months and you want the deal...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

chases0102 wrote: »

you can take the deal with a new SIM and port your number later when your contract is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭beachhead

Do I have to download the 48 app to the same device I use for calls,texts data,etc.I understand that there are seperate app downloads for iphone and android.I will use android phone or tablet.

beachhead wrote: »
    Do I have to download the 48 app to the same device I use for calls,texts data,etc.I understand that there are seperate app downloads for iphone and android.I will use android phone or tablet.

No it doesn't need to be the same device. It can be any. You just sign in the same as would on the website. Or you can just use the website instead if you don't want to use the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Gera88

i presume i can use my phone as an internet hotspot and download and stream as mush as i want up to 100gb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Gera88 wrote: »
    i presume i can use my phone as an internet hotspot and download and stream as mush as i want up to 100gb?

Yeah but if it's anything like Gomo the speeds will vary wildly depending on the time of day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Quackster wrote: »
    ISPs such as Vodafone and Virgin have a habit of recycling IP addresses that were previously assigned to other countries. Whatever database 48's web server is looking up must not be up-to-date and that's why it thinks you're outside of Ireland.

Why they're checking this is another question as they'll only post SIMs to Irish addresses anyway. Makes no sense to me.

I'd initially thought it was that as I'm on Virgin and I know some of the old UPC IPs used to show up as being in the Netherlands.

But even using a VPN pointed to an Irish IP it still had an issue.
    Plus it wouldn't explain why it was happening on mobile, on Three data, with one browser but worked OK with another.

Whatever it is they seem weirdly uninterested in fixing it and I'd say it's definitely costing them customers. I was the same as someone posted recently - if they can't even get their signup working properly, why would I join them?
    Though in fairness when I contacted their support about it, I did get a guy within an hour or two offering to arrange to post a SIM out if I gave my address so their support seems quick enough.

It was only that I idly tried it again a while later with a different browser and managed to get a SIM, and then had that lying around when Three shafted me.
    Happy enough with the speeds since

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Not really unless you pay the bill until the end of the contract.

You can still get a 48 SIM and buy membership for 7.99 before 10th November and the plan should be available on that 48 SIM whenever your eir contract ends.

First full day of using them and excellent so far. 4g+ signal too everywhere been today and Sierra in our around 50-60mbs.
    Impressed so added a link in referral to anyone that uses gets a free month at bottom of page. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057998585

Will keep thread updated with how it stays going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

Looks like you can't use this in a modem, from t&c:
    Our Internet options are available for use with your 48 SIM Card in the handset you use to access and use our services. Except where expressly stated, tethering or use of the 48 handset as, or the sim in conjunction with, a modem is not allowed and may be disabled.

theShire wrote: »
    Looks like you can't use this in a modem, from t&c:
    Our Internet options are available for use with your 48 SIM Card in the handset you use to access and use our services. Except where expressly stated, tethering or use of the 48 handset as, or the sim in conjunction with, a modem is not allowed and may be disabled.

They pretty much all say that or something similar. If you google 48 hotspot the top results are 48 customer care telling customers how to set up a wifi hotspot.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Is the 7.99 offer for life or are they likely to pull it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    Is the 7.99 offer for life or are they likely to pull it?

T&C's say "you can continue to purchase this 100GB membership until such time as you leave the 48 service".

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JAMCAR

The one thing i asked about was the 10GB EU data cap, if you go over you can't buy an add on. this is what customer service told me, sorry if this is old news and has already been said.

As per the Fair usage policy you get 10GB in total which was be used while roaming in the EU/UK covered country. So if you go over your FUP data then in this case you need to buy a new membership altogether then contact us on chat support.

We will then raise a request to remove your existing membership and activate the new one. Even if you'll buy add-ons, it'll not work if you cross the FUP limit on your current membership.

Does this mean if you remove your membership, to replace it with a new one , you will lose the €7.99 deal.
    If that deal is not available any more.

AFAIK if the roaming limit is exceeded but the home cap is not exceeded then any roaming usage over the roaming allowance (10GB) is charged at 0.55c per MB (5.50 euro per GB). The only way that would work with PAYG is if there's a credit balance available to consume so credit would have to be added.

48 have a "swap" feature where 100 minutes can be swapped for 1GB data as often as you want if minutes are still available.

So...with 10,000 minutes available on every plan...in theory there should be up to 100GB extra available by swapping 100 minutes x 100 times.
    https://community.48.ie/t5/The-Knowledgebase/Flexi-Data/ta-p/53114

Whether it works or not is the question...possibly not as they might cap it at 3GB to match the original 300 minutes on the "old" plans.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    48 have a "swap" feature where 100 minutes can be swapped for 1GB data as often as you want if minutes are still available.

So...with 10,000 minutes available on every plan...in theory there should be up to 100GB extra available by swapping 100 minutes x 100 times.
    https://community.48.ie/t5/The-Knowledgebase/Flexi-Data/ta-p/53114

Whether it works or not is the question...possibly not as they might cap it at 3GB to match the original 300 minutes on the "old" plans.

I tried it there and it let me swap mins for up to to 3gb data but when tried to do it again it said max allowed.

Thank you DopeTech for your reply on app use

• Advertisement

Thank you DopeTech

Advertisement