Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭omerin

3 working days to receive my sim with the standard postal service. Unlocked my Vodafone phone - A70 through an Ebay seller - straight forward enough. porting my number at the mo, may take 24-48 hours but I have data. Getting 4g at times, but currently showing data as H+, always had either 3 or 4g, so had to look up what it was, seems to be a lower standard to 4g, anyone know if that is the speed they give you with the 1gb free you get to try it out? Testing out on speed testers has not been successful, seems to not be able to find servers, which us weird

I've been with Vodafone for 10+ years and am the guinea pig for a few more that will port if my experience is good. Vodafone will need to get their finger out or they'll loose a lot of customers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

omerin wrote: »
    3 working days to receive my sim with the standard postal service. Unlocked my Vodafone phone - A70 through an Ebay seller - straight forward enough. porting my number at the mo, may take 24-48 hours but I have data. Getting 4g at times, but currently showing data as H+, always had either 3 or 4g, so had to look up what it was, seems to be a lower standard to 4g, anyone know if that is the speed they give you with the 1gb free you get to try it out? Testing out on speed testers has not been successful, seems to not be able to find servers, which us weird

I've been with Vodafone for 10+ years and am the guinea pig for a few more that will port if my experience is good. Vodafone will need to get their finger out or they'll loose a lot of customers

I don't think they enable 4g until you buy a membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭biebiebie

anyone know if that is the speed they give you with the 1gb free you get to try it out? Testing out on speed testers has not been successful, seems to not be able to find servers, which us weird

I have 4g showing on mine, still using the free 1GB.

If you have H+ then possibly Three isn't as strong for 4G as Vodafone in your particular area. Although H+ should still provide decent speeds...think 3.5G ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

Getting another family member to move from Tesco mobile. They have €40 credit, any ideas on how to waste it up? :) I know we have until November but afraid they will pull back from their deal by then!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2057869861

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭ismamai

Does 48 support hd voice calls? I am currently in gomo, and between gomo, calls are made in hd. There is an hd icon on the call and sound quality is better than normal

• Advertisement

I had the same issue. I was told by support to reboot my phone and then I got 4G+

Speed is lower than what I currently get with gomo but in the luas bridge over the liffey 48 got almos 200Mb download speed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭Jeff2

ismamai wrote: »
    I had the same issue. I was told by support to reboot my phone and then I got 4G+

Speed is lower than what I currently get with gomo but in the luas bridge over the liffey 48 got almos 200Mb download speed

Is your phone set to go to wifi if there is no password?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Few more tests in Cork city centre (north side). GoMo was better at night whereas 48 was better early in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

I ported from tesco mobile over to 48 and the speeds are dreadful. Getting around 1-2mb. I had 4G with Tesco but only 3G with 48.

Double checked all my APN settings and have roaming enabled.

Have rebooted several times.

I ported 2 days ago and the speed has not improved.

I am using a Xiaomi Mi A2 lite.

Any ideas lads?

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Is your phone set to go to wifi if there is no password?

Not sure what you mean. I was on the bridge, not close to any wifi, just 4G+ and it was the better speed I have ever seen on LTE.

But in other places speed is lower than what I get with GOMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭spakman

I ported from tesco mobile over to 48 and the speeds are dreadful. Getting around 1-2mb. I had 4G with Tesco but only 3G with 48.

Double checked all my APN settings and have roaming enabled.

Have rebooted several times.

I ported 2 days ago and the speed has not improved.

I am using a Xiaomi Mi A2 lite.

Any ideas lads?

Tesco and 48 are on the same network, so speeds should be the same. I realise this doesn't really help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭hdl

Anyone else still not get their sim? Ordered 11th, dispatched 15th and still not here.

Waiting to get one so I can activate and "recruit" for one of the kids, so I assume it'll be another long wait for that one. Hope they don't pull the offer early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Ordered a SIM last night to evaluate the service. I was an original Tesco mobile customer way back in 2012 and gave up in despair after a few months. I certainly hope this 48 service is better than that was. I'm a believer in the notion that if something is cheap, its usually for a reason, but I'm prepared to be persuaded otherwise with this.

Ordered a SIM last night to evaluate the service. I was an original Tesco mobile customer way back in 2012 and gave up in despair after a few months. I certainly hope this 48 service is better than that was. I'm a believer in the notion that if something is cheap, its usually for a reason, but I'm prepared to be persuaded otherwise with this.

My OH had awful problems with Tesco mobile a few years ago. I switched from gomo to 48 last week. Early days but no issues so far anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

How long can you wait before renewing? I.e. before they cancel service after you've topped up at least once

Have one sim on 48 from GOmo, happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Tesco credit can only be used for add ons and/or out-of-plan services.

In theory, Lyca, as their SIMs are widely available. Not sure if there's any top up needed on a Lyca SIM to port in / out.

Eir send out SIMs for free but might also require a top up to port in / out.

Or else just use the new 48 number and wait until November and see if they extend the 7.99 plan to everyone...if they don't then port away and back to the new SIM.

I switched from 48 to Lyca and back to 48 on same day. No issues and no need to top up the Lyca one, was literally only on it for 30 mins before porting back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

How long can you wait before renewing? I.e. before they cancel service after you've topped up at least once

Have one sim on 48 from GOmo, happy days

7.3 Where the 48 Services are suspended because you have chosen not to purchase top up credit or make a chargeable use in respect of your Account for a period of 6 months, we will remove any credit on your Account after a further 2 months and credit will not be recoverable. Your service will then remain suspended for a further 5 months and can be reconnected at any time during this period. When the suspension period ends your service will be disconnected, this agreement will end and your number will be immediately lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

DopeTech wrote: »
    My OH had awful problems with Tesco mobile a few years ago. I switched from gomo to 48 last week. Early days but no issues so far anyway.

Tesco from years ago isn't a patch on this. I get 4G now on 48 where tesco would barely give E years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭glen123

How long does it usually take for them to process a porting request, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

glen123 wrote: »

My port was almost instant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

vectra wrote: »

Same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

glen123 wrote: »

I've been waiting a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Gomo are promoting at the for life nature of their offering.

Odd 48 are not making similar pronouncements

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Pablo1802

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    Gomo are promoting at the for life nature of their offering.

Odd 48 are not making similar pronouncements

Not true:

Once you’re on the €7.99 membership it’s yours to keep for as long as your with 48. Just a heads up though if you change to another available 48 plan you won’t be able to avail of the €7.99 membership again. If you’re a lover of the small details see full terms of the promo 👉 https://48.ie/legal/price-plan-details

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭briancannon18

Pablo1802 wrote: »
    Not true:

Once you’re on the €7.99 membership it’s yours to keep for as long as your with 48. Just a heads up though if you change to another available 48 plan you won’t be able to avail of the €7.99 membership again. If you’re a lover of the small details see full terms of the promo 👉 https://48.ie/legal/price-plan-details

Says u can continue to purchase the 100 GB membership as long as u remain on 48, doesn't say price will stay same though

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Pablo1802

Says u can continue to purchase the 100 GB membership as long as u remain on 48, doesn't say price will stay same though

It's about €7.99 membership, not 100 GB membership or membership with different price.

'€7.99 membership it’s yours to keep for as long as your with 48'

TheDriver wrote: »
    Tesco from years ago isn't a patch on this. I get 4G now on 48 where tesco would barely give E years ago.

I agree, 48 seem every bit as reliable as three. Tesco used be a nightmare.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

DopeTech wrote: »
    I agree, 48 seem every bit as reliable as three. Tesco used be a nightmare.

Wasn't Tesco on the O2 network, not Three?

Wasn't Tesco on the O2 network, not Three?

Yeah but they still had problems even when 02 merged with 3. I don't know if it's improved since 3 merged both networks internally at the beginning of the year but before that Tesco were brutal. Sometimes you'd have data but not be able to make a call. While at the same time you be able to make them or vice versa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

vectra wrote: »

Same

Advertisement