Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

If you wish to port, do you buy membership before or after?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

TheDriver wrote: »
    If you wish to port, do you buy membership before or after?

You can do either, you'll keep the membership after the port.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

jdon72 wrote: »
    48 and Tesco are both using the Three network, so they should be the same...

I understand, but just giving others that don't know a heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭KildareP

Speeds are absolutely diabolical tonight. From 70-80Mb throughout the week to 3-4Mb on 4G+ or 6Mb on 3G.

I thought GoMo were bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,569 ✭✭✭bassy

KildareP wrote: »
    Speeds are absolutely diabolical tonight. From 70-80Mb throughout the week to 3-4Mb on 4G+ or 6Mb on 3G.

I thought GoMo were bad!

the whole country is hogging it on a sat nite :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Hi lads looking for a bit of help. I ordered the 48 sim during the week but only getting around to setting it up now. I have managed to get the NAC code from Vodafone and have unlocked the phone. I have put in the new sim, entered the pin and the verification code. I have downloaded the 48 app and am in the process of trying to set it up. I have selected that I would like to keep my number and it is meant to have sent me a verification text. The issue is that my phone is saying 'emergency calls only' and has no coverage. Any ideas as to what I could do?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

jimmyjim11 wrote: »
    how long dose 1gb last for 1 month ?
    The day you activate the SIM plus seven more full days.

So if you activate the SIM just after midnight, you'll get it for eight full days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭spakman

buyer95 wrote: »
    Hi lads looking for a bit of help. I ordered the 48 sim during the week but only getting around to setting it up now. I have managed to get the NAC code from Vodafone and have unlocked the phone. I have put in the new sim, entered the pin and the verification code. I have downloaded the 48 app and am in the process of trying to set it up. I have selected that I would like to keep my number and it is meant to have sent me a verification text. The issue is that my phone is saying 'emergency calls only' and has no coverage. Any ideas as to what I could do?

The code will be sent to your current number i.e. vodafone.
    You don't need to swap the sims until your vodafone sim is disconnected i.e. when port is done

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭briancannon18

You need to have ur current provider sim in phone, till it goes down, and then put in new sim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Which SIM has no coverage? 48 or VF?

The VF SIM will definitely lose signal once the number has ported.

The 48 SIM will probably lose signal for a short time until the temporary 089 number is replaced with the VF number.

However, 48 only process number porting between 10am and 4pm at weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

KildareP wrote: »

I thought GoMo were bad!

I just switched off my wifi to test.

20mb down
    1.5mb up

This is unreal considering I’m sitting in the same spot on the side where I had no phone signal with GoMo last week.

spakman wrote: »
    The code will be sent to your current number i.e. vodafone.
    You don't need to swap the sims until your vodafone sim is disconnected i.e. when port is done

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭MF290

Anyone using a 48 sim in a 4g router?
    I am getting good speeds with 3 currently, gomo was only mediocre.
    Are mixed phone use sims different to pure internet sim cards in terms of speeds at busy times of the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭MF290

In all the gomo advertisements there was emphasis on the unlimited for life bit. I don't see anything similar with 48. Wouldn't mind switching to get the better internet speeds but not if the price will go up in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

MF290 wrote: »
    In all the gomo advertisements there was emphasis on the unlimited for life bit. I don't see anything similar with 48. Wouldn't mind switching to get the better internet speeds but not if the price will go up in a few months.

You have it until you decide to leave or change plan.

Why is APN liffeytelecom which is Tesco?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

TheDriver wrote: »
    Why is APN liffeytelecom which is Tesco?
    I'm guessing it's a throwback from the o2 era before 3 took control.

https://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Company/Liffey-Telecom-Limited-346320

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whodafunk

whodafunk wrote: »
    Can anyone comment on the 48.ie speeds around Dublin 5, 13, 17 area?

I'm currently with GoMo and getting speeds varying from 0.91 to 6-8mbps max which seems pretty poor.

Anyone? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

whodafunk wrote: »
    Anyone? Thanks
    You're better off ordering a sim and trying it out yourself. Someone could be getting good speeds in one area, 50 yards up the road speed could be crap.
    Sim is free, comes with 1gb of data so you can run a few speeds yourself at different times of the day.

Like every network, you get great speeds and you get crap speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whodafunk

gerard2210 wrote: »
    You're better off ordering a sim and trying it out yourself. Someone could be getting good speeds in one area, 50 yards up the road speed could be crap.
    Sim is free, comes with 1gb of data so you can run a few speeds yourself at different times of the day.

Thanks a million for that. Perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Mr.S wrote: »
    "For Life" is a marketing gimmick. Nothing is for life. GoMo can change the price of the plan should they wish.

The CEO of Eir says the plan is for life. Their website clearly states for life. Eir replied to the ASA and said it was for life.

Almost 20 years ago I signed up to a PTSB current account with "free banking for life". 20 years later I still have free banking.
    Mr.S wrote: »
    It's likely that €8-€13 is the new "€20" for unlimited plans, all the providers will soon drop prices to match 48 / GoMo, so I wouldn't worry to much about prices changing..

I would doubt that all providers will price match. Extortionate Vodafone who charge 35 EUR a month for something similar to GoMo have too much to loose by price matching. Maybe they will launch a shadow brand, like they do the UK and Italy, and offer low cost plans via the shadow brand. Meanwhile Virgin Media, Three and Eir seem focused on gimmicky introductory mobile offers and then screwing people who don't switch at a later date. Sad that people often fall for that and don't switch.

How long does porting usually take? Waiting 2 hours, should I expect it to be awhile longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Has anyone got a sim and signed up for the purpose of using it for the internet in a 4G router? What's your experience? What router did you use? Speeds? Was setup straight forward?

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    Has anyone got a sim and signed up for the purpose of using it for the internet in a 4G router? What's your experience? What router did you use? Speeds? Was setup straight forward?

Have a read back the last few pages. All answered before. Works fine.

How long does porting usually take? Waiting 2 hours, should I expect it to be awhile longer?

Usually a few mins but can take a few hours. Porting on Sundays is between 10-4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

...the standard unlimited €20 plans from Three / VF will drop soon.

IMO that won't happen....

Three's selling point is unlimited data.

Vodafone's selling point is good coverage.

(s) Eir's selling point is their legendary customer service (/s)

The main networks will keep their price levels as they are while possibly adding extra benefits for those who aren't bothered about switching and then try to regain customers from time to time with special offers.

The lower prices will be farmed out to their other brands. Vodafone are remaining stubborn on that front and Post mobile are behaving like the Fr Dougal of telecoms with their price pitched at the same level as Vodafone...how do they expect to lure customers with that strategy??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Finally switched over after a week!
    Far better coverage than Gomo where i could barely get over 1mb in most places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Gomo vs 48.

• Advertisement

Ten Pin wrote: »
    IMO that won't happen....

Three's selling point is unlimited data.

Vodafone's selling point is good coverage.

(s) Eir's selling point is their legendary customer service (/s)

The main networks will keep their price levels as they are while possibly adding extra benefits for those who aren't bothered about switching and then try to regain customers from time to time with special offers.

The lower prices will be farmed out to their other brands. Vodafone are remaining stubborn on that front and Post mobile are behaving like the Fr Dougal of telecoms with their price pitched at the same level as Vodafone...how do they expect to lure customers with that strategy??

In fairness this is threes offering and 100Gb is massive on a mobile as long as you're not replying on it for your main TV. Likewise gomo and eir with people still buying 30 plan which gomo has for 10.
    VF is outlier and I'm assuming post mobile is a box ticking exercise of having an mvno for some reason. The pm offering is better than VF with data, 25 Vs 10

Advertisement