Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭BullBauld

DopeTech wrote: »
    Are they to numbers not included in your plan? I.e to an international number or a short code number like 53106 which would cost money and need you to have credit on your account to cover it?

No to 085/086 numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Check SMS service number in settings

+353894300000

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

BullBauld wrote: »
    No to 085/086 numbers.

You could check the sms center number is correct in your text messages app. It should be +353894300000.

Do you have an active membership? If so you need to ask them on live chat to look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Check SMS service number in settings

+353894300000

Yea it's set at that. I'll get onto chat.
    Thanks for the help folks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What's further up the screen?

MMS APNs are only for MMS

Hotspot may not work without Hotspot APN filled in.

But neither of those APNs affect phone data, as long as the mobile / cellular data APN is entered. Is that blank?

APN, username and password are all blank too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Gumbo wrote: »
    APN, username and password are all blank too.
    48 seem to be pushing the APN from their side so even if you have it set incorrectly, or have nothing set at all, data still works. However, you'll need it set correctly for roaming or your data will not work when abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pauleoin

I used this page to set up my APN, select your phone, enter your phone number and it sends the correct setting direct to your phone.

http://48months.tweakker.com/choose

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

pauleoin wrote: »
    I used this page to set up my APN, select your phone, enter your phone number and it sends the correct setting direct to your phone.

http://48months.tweakker.com/choose

I have a field under the module data settings called LTE (Oprional). Should this be filled in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

"Sorry you are not allowed to purchase memberships, since you have a Bundle in progress"

But I don't :(.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

I ordered my SIM on Monday night. Just got an email saying it's on its way. So I'll see what it's like. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,085 ✭✭✭Jeff2

"Sorry you are not allowed to purchase memberships, since you have a Bundle in progress"

All I can think of is you used the same email address that you might have had with Three of air.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

Just contact chat and they'll sort it out in a couple of minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Why would you not be allowed hotspot off your phone? Is that a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Quackster wrote: »
    48 seem to be pushing the APN from their side so even if you have it set incorrectly, or have nothing set at all, data still works. However, you'll need it set correctly for roaming or your data will not work when abroad.

This wasn’t the case with my wife on her OnePlus 5T, Ihad to set the APN manually to get her data working

• Registered Users Posts: 25,273 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Yes!
    A number of providers banned/ban it and would cut you off if tethering detected. Don't know if it still occurs

I found just trying a second time it started working again. If not then chat will be online soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Will a three locked phone work with a 48 sim?!

Vodafone are the only provider charging for tethering.

All others allow it and it's straightforward on Android.

IPhone is a bit fussy because APN settings are controlled by the network but that's just a matter of adding/editing hotspot settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Car buyer.

Hi just checking if hotspot is working with 48?

Turned it on the phone but I'm getting an X over the WiFi symbol on the android box when I'm connected

Maybe I'm missing something obvious thanks?

It used to be an issue a few years ago not to allow tethering but isn't really an issue anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

This might be a stupid question...

Will the 48 sim work in a non smart phone? I want to get this for an elderly person who only uses a phone for calls and the occasional text

Will the 48 sim work in a non smart phone? I want to get this for an elderly person who only uses a phone for calls and the occasional text

Yes, it will work in any phone.

tina1040 wrote: »
    This might be a stupid question...

Yes it will provided the phone is 4g capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

Why would the phone need to be 4G capable if only used for calls and texts ?

Have a 48 SIM in a 2G non smart phone and it works, just no data. Although some 2G phones do have data capability via GPRS and possibly EDGE.

Have a 48 SIM in a 2G non smart phone and it works, just no data. Although some 2G phones do have data capability via GPRS and possibly EDGE.

I thought 3 didn't work in 2g only mode but maybe i'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Doesn't need to be 4g for calls and text.

I thought 3 didn't work in 2g only mode but maybe i'm wrong

Three were 3G only when they started up. At some point they had a 2G roaming agreement with Vodafone but that ended when Three bought O2. O2s network had/has 2G signal which is still available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Got the SIM and tried it for a week in various devices using the free 1 Gb included. Was able to receive texts and phone calls without any problem, but the speedtest results were truly dreadful!

I'm with Tesco Mobile - which uses the Three/O2/48.ie infrastructure - yet when I ran a set of speedtests using the Tesco SIM then switching to the 48 SIM and running the same test from the same location at virtually the same time of day, the 48.ie data speeds were consistently between 50% and 80% slower??

So: same device, same location, same infrastructure, same time of the day but my two different SIMs consistently gave me massively different speedtest results - can anyone suggest an explanation for this anomaly please, because I cannot fathom it?

This means that unfortunately for me 48.ie seems to be a non-runner.

• Advertisement

Got the SIM and tried it for a week in various devices using the free 1 Gb included. Was able to receive texts and phone calls without any problem, but the speedtest results were truly dreadful!

I'm with Tesco Mobile - which uses the Three/O2/48.ie infrastructure - yet when I ran a set of speedtests using the Tesco SIM then switching to the 48 SIM and running the same test from the same location at virtually the same time of day, the 48.ie data speeds were consistently between 50% and 80% slower??

So: same device, same location, same infrastructure, same time of the day but my two different SIMs consistently gave me massively different speedtest results - can anyone suggest an explanation for this anomaly please, because I cannot fathom it?

This means that unfortunately for me 48.ie seems to be a non-runner.

It seems that 48 is provided with limited bandwidth despite being on the Three system. I have seen a lot of posts from people complaining about the speeds.
    At the end of the day it is up to everyone to do their own tests and then decide.

Advertisement