Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

lighthouse wrote: »
    I doubt if it's the phone as it's only a few months old. The signal disappears completely and then comes back after a few minutes.

I have a recent Motorola dual sim phone and I find that switching sims makes a difference. Slot number 1 in my phone is better than slot 2 and having 2 sims with data enabled seems to work less well than one only.

It's worth trying even as a process of elimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Idle speculation: Am I missing something or could somebody who didn't care about the phone number and just wanted the data get an endless free run by changing SIM every two months?

Get first sim and pay membership; "recruit" another SIM and get a free month on both old and new SIM; switch to using new SIM when old membership runs out; "recruit" another SIM which adds a second month to the current SIM and a month to the new one; repeat.

Or do you need to actually pay a month to get the free month? In which case you could still save by just paying every 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

MOH wrote: »
    Idle speculation: Am I missing something or could somebody who didn't care about the phone number and just wanted the data get an endless free run by changing SIM every two months?

Get first sim and pay membership; "recruit" another SIM and get a free month on both old and new SIM; switch to using new SIM when old membership runs out; "recruit" another SIM which adds a second month to the current SIM and a month to the new one; repeat.

Or do you need to actually pay a month to get the free month? In which case you could still save by just paying every 3 months.
    You need to buy the first month on each sim but yes you could save money that way. It would end up being a bit of a hassle imo but possible if you really wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

RoYoBo wrote: »
    I have a recent Motorola dual sim phone and I find that switching sims makes a difference. Slot number 1 in my phone is better than slot 2 and having 2 sims with data enabled seems to work less well than one only.

It's worth trying even as a process of elimination.

OK
    I just swopped the SIMs around and will see if there is any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

The second month is free...each recruit SIM has to buy a membership before the first SIM gets the reward.

You could recruit 5 SIMs and get a free month for each SIM but the return diminshes as the 7.99 plan ends on 10th Nov and if it's just for yourself then it becomes a bit pointless as each SIM needs a membership to be bought so you're spending extra to get free credit but can't make full use of it unless there are numerous devices that you already have in use.

There's not much benefit to recruiting from the second SIM, just recruit from first SIM.

There's a clause in the terms that they can claw back the free credit if the same device is used for multiple recruit SIMs.

It might be more of a bargain to order a few recruit SIMs and use them to get a free first month with Post mobile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

DopeTech wrote: »
    You need to buy the first month on each sim but yes you could save money that way. It would end up being a bit of a hassle imo but possible if you really wanted.
    Ten Pin wrote: »
    The second month is free...each recruit SIM has to buy a membership before the first SIM gets the reward.

Cheers, figured that might be the case. Can't really see a scenario where it would be worthwhile, was more curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

MOH wrote: »
    Cheers, figured that might be the case. Can't really see a scenario where it would be worthwhile, was more curious.

I think your better ordering extra Sims from 48 and Gomo and keeping them in reserve if you need to port to another network to take up a better offer or to use as 2nd Sims in dual SIM phones. This is useful if one network is down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭gipi

Did anyone manage to port to 48 from Tesco mobile bill pay? Buddy of mine has been trying since the weekend, has supplied account and customer numbers to 48 (at least once), but all he gets is 'portin failed'. Has been in touch via chat, which keeps breaking down because the conversation takes so long. He's just about done with 48 before he even gets started!

I ported to 48 before the current offer, but was PAYG with Tesco so had no issues

Any info welcome.

gipi wrote: »
    Did anyone manage to port to 48 from Tesco mobile bill pay? Buddy of mine has been trying since the weekend, has supplied account and customer numbers to 48 (at least once), but all he gets is 'portin failed'. Has been in touch via chat, which keeps breaking down because the conversation takes so long. He's just about done with 48 before he even gets started!

I ported to 48 before the current offer, but was PAYG with Tesco so had no issues

Any info welcome.

Tell him to switch to Tesco pay as you go and then try and port. One or two had similar problems porting from bill.

SIM only or phone contract?

If contract, has term ended?

Has he tried all options for 'account type' on 48 port in page?

There may be some sort of glitch between Tesco and 48 as they use the same MNC.

Unless he tries to port to Lyca and then to 48? Messy but theoretically possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭gipi

@dopetech - I'll suggest that, thanks

@ten pin - definitely out of contract, 30 day SIM only plan which is bill pay. He doesn't want to lose the number, so I think if I suggest moving to another provider just to get to 48, I'll be told where to go!!

Thanks to both of you for replying

gipi wrote: »
    @dopetech - I'll suggest that, thanks

@ten pin - definitely out of contract, 30 day SIM only plan which is bill pay. He doesn't want to lose the number, so I think if I suggest moving to another provider just to get to 48, I'll be told where to go!!

Thanks to both of you for replying

There's virtually no risk of losing the number by moving to another network. He can port to any network, even eir or Vodafone offer free Sims if porting in with no top up required.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

Is anybody having issues activating a sim? I'm trying to do it and when l put my name to sign up it brings me back to the screen again where you enter your name

Kilsmum

kilsmum wrote: »
    Is anybody having issues activating a sim? I'm trying to do it and when l put my name to sign up it brings me back to the screen again where you enter your name

Kilsmum

Had the same issue. Needed to contact them on live chat. They got it sorted immediately.

My Tp Link Router is not showing an internet connection.

It was working previously but it required a reset in the morning after being plugged out the night before

Now even after a reset it's not connecting

I presume the fault is with the router because the 48 SIM connects to the Internet when in my phone.

The router is showing wireless signal with 2 bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

so folks overall how do u find this Network is it Thumbs up or Thumbs Down

im prob changing tonight how do i change from eir to 48 any links appreciated, do i have to go to chat ?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭ismamai

My Tp Link Router is not showing an internet connection.

It was working previously but it required a reset in the morning after being plugged out the night before

Now even after a reset it's not connecting

I presume the fault is with the router because the 48 SIM connects to the Internet when in my phone.

The router is showing wireless signal with 2 bars.

Check the apn on the router is created properly

torrevieja wrote: »

im prob changing tonight how do i change from eir to 48 any links appreciated, do i have to go to chat ?

Use a referral link from the link in my signature. That will give you a free 2nd month. No need to use chat unless you run into issues.

Been with them just over a month. Performance seems identical to 3. Happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

torrevieja wrote: »

I suppose the only way to answer this would be to bear in mind that 48.ie is using THREE Ireland's infrastructure. If you've not used 48months (now rebranded as 48.ie) or THREE Ireland in the past you could consider (1) Order a SIM Card via 48.ie website (2) Activate it for your free 1 GB and see if the coverage if satisfactory for your requirements and (3) Buy a Membership if satisfied with the initial free 1GB given. Should you experience any problems, they also have a Live "Chat Now" service and the 48 Community forum https://community.48.ie/ for advice on various aspects/issues with 48.ie

Note: 10th November is closing date deadline for the €7.99 promotional plan which includes 100GB/All Calls/All Texts

ismamai wrote: »
    Check the apn on the router is created properly

Thanks

I have the correct liffeyvalley apn set up on my phone. Do I need to set this up on the Routers App as well.

I don't have fibre broadband to do this.

Do I need to tether my phone to a laptop in order to do this?

• Advertisement

I'm prob changing tonight how do i change from eir to 48 any links appreciated, do i have to go to chat ?

Do you mean porting?

That's done by logging in to my48 and then MOVE NUMBER. Enter number you're porting and the network (eir). That number will receive a code to verify it's yours. Enter the code in my48. Your current Eir SIM loses signal and the 48 SIM should have your ported number within an hour, probably less.

If you have just received a SIM and are activating it, you can try it out for a week and port whenever you want afterwards.

Thanks

I have the correct liffeyvalley apn set up on my phone. Do I need to set this up on the Routers App as well.

Either connect to router with a LAN cable or turn on router WiFi and log in to router 192.168.1.1

Enter the APN in settings...
    MCC 272
    MNC 11
    APN 48months.liffeytelecom.com

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Thanks

I have read here that you have to disable the PIN on the SIM in your phone first.

Not your ornery onager

Either connect to router with a LAN cable or turn on router WiFi and log in to router 192.168.1.1

Enter the APN in settings...
    MCC 272
    MNC 11
    APN 48months.liffeytelecom.com

I can't login to router WiFi because there no internet on it.

When you say connect a lan cable I presume you mean connect s laptop to to outer by ethernet cable and use my phone's internet to tether to the laptop?

Esel wrote: »
    I have read here that you have to disable the PIN on the SIM in your phone first.

The SIM was already turned off.

I can't login to router WiFi because there no internet on it.
    WiFi isn't an internet protocol although it has become a byword for internet because that's what it is most commonly used for.

Turn on router WiFi and enter 192.168.1.1 in the browser address bar of a WiFi enabled phone or laptop.
    When you say connect a lan cable I presume you mean connect s laptop to to outer by ethernet cable and use my phone's internet to tether to the laptop?

Kind of...connect router to laptop with Ethernet cable and open a browser on laptop and go to address 192.168.1.1

Try WiFi first, if that doesn't work try LAN/Ethernet cable.

You don't need any connection to the internet to access local devices. The router is a local device.

The only caveat is that some routers address might be 192.168.x.y depending on the model but it is most likely 192.168.1.1

WiFi isn't an internet protocol although it has become a byword for internet because that's what it is most commonly used for.

Turn on router WiFi and enter 192.168.1.1 in the browser address bar of a WiFi enabled phone or laptop.

Kind of...connect router to laptop with Ethernet cable and open a browser on laptop and go to address 192.168.1.1

Try WiFi first, if that doesn't work try LAN/Ethernet cable.

You don't need any connection to the internet to access local devices. The router is a local device.

The only caveat is that some routers address might be 192.168.x.y depending on the model but it is most likely 192.168.1.1

I connected to Routers WiFi using my phone. I entered the password and my phone said connected but no internet.

I then opened chrome browser on my phone and typed in the router address http://192.168.1.1.

I could not connect. I got the screenshot below.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

just moved what are the hidden charges i should know abt -cheers

I could not connect. I got the screenshot below.

Try...

https://tplinkwifi.net/

..when connected to router wifi or via LAN

If unsuccessful, try these steps...

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/2394/
    https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/2392/

• Advertisement

just moved what are the hidden charges i should know abt -cheers

Nothings hidden if you look.

https://48.ie/charges

Advertisement