Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

can you port your new 48 number to another company if your not happy with it or are you stuck with them for awhile

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

can you port your new 48 number to another company if your not happy with it or are you stuck with them for awhile

You can port to another provider without notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Try...

https://tplinkwifi.net/

..when connected to router wifi or via LAN

If unsuccessful, try these steps...

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/2394/
    https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/2392/

Thanks I got it working but I had to use http://tplinkmodem.net. I don't know why http://192.168.1.1 didn't work.

One thing I don't understand is why all the Apn settings that had to be entered for the Phones Apn settings didn't have to be entered in the Routers settings. Even the MCC and MNC that you gave me were not required.

I've uploaded screenshots of the Apn settings that were needed.

Btw for PDP type I left it at IPv4 and for Apn type I left it at Static. Are those correct?

Many thanks for your help. It was frustrating as hell trying to sort this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

At 100 pages, I'm not sure I can trawl through all of them for my answer, so I'm taking the lazy way out asking this question.

My daughter is/was on Three, but it was rarely used for calls or anything, so it rarely had credit on it. It was a secondhand phone we got off Adverts. Lately, there is a need for her to have credit, and it suited her better to move to 48, so we set up an account and ordered a sim. When it arrived we activated it online and poped it into her phone, an iphone 6. It was then we found out that the phone was locked to Three. The Three sim is no longer active, and we can't use the 48 one.

A friend of mine has a Three sim in a 3g dongle for internet use only, and he requested an unlock code for her since he had the required credit paid to get an unlock code, but a week later, he still has not got any contact from Three.

What choices do I have left to sort this?

I suppose this is not strictly suited for this thread, but any help is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

At 100 pages, I'm not sure I can trawl through all of them for my answer, so I'm taking the lazy way out asking this question.

My daughter is/was on Three, but it was rarely used for calls or anything, so it rarely had credit on it. It was a secondhand phone we got off Adverts. Lately, there is a need for her to have credit, and it suited her better to move to 48, so we set up an account and ordered a sim. When it arrived we activated it online and poped it into her phone, an iphone 6. It was then we found out that the phone was locked to Three. The Three sim is no longer active, and we can't use the 48 one.

A friend of mine has a Three sim in a 3g dongle for internet use only, and he requested an unlock code for her since he had the required credit paid to get an unlock code, but a week later, he still has not got any contact from Three.

What choices do I have left to sort this?

I suppose this is not strictly suited for this thread, but any help is appreciated.

It can take more than a week for the unlock code to come. They might not have the code though for a second hand phone bought privately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

https://www.three.ie/legal/policies/unlocking-policy/
    Prepay customers

The device must be associated to a Three Ireland account

The phone isn't associated with the account used for the unlock code request so they might not provide the code...but you might be lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Do you mean porting?

That's done by logging in to my48 and then MOVE NUMBER. Enter number you're porting and the network (eir). That number will receive a code to verify it's yours. Enter the code in my48. Your current Eir SIM loses signal and the 48 SIM should have your ported number within an hour, probably less.

If you have just received a SIM and are activating it, you can try it out for a week and port whenever you want afterwards.

thanks ten so i just use it with new number (48) pay subscription then port over a few days later , is that what u mean?

Is there a time frame i have to do that when sim is activated ?

Last question do they remind u to top up and if you forget or let it lapse do unloose the offer

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

torrevieja wrote: »
    thanks ten so i just use it with new number (48) pay subscription then port over a few days later , is that what u mean?

Is there a time frame i have to do that when sim is activated ?

Last question do they remind u to top up and if you forget or let it lapse do unloose the offer

Thanks

Yes, you can port in your number at any stage keeping your membership. You can do it after 6 months if you choose.

I'm not sure if they remind you about membership but you can set it to auto-renew and it will auto debit your card each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭christy c

Not sure if asked before, but is there a time limit on porting? If I sign up, pay one month @ 7.99 and then early next year when the other contract is up can I port and restart the 7.99 plan?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

https://www.three.ie/legal/policies/unlocking-policy/

The phone isn't associated with the account used for the unlock code request so they might not provide the code...but you might be lucky.
    From my experience it doesn't have to be associated with the account that makes the unlock request. In the past I have successfully had Three (and Vodafone) unlock devices that were not linked to my Three (or Vodafone) account.

As long as the device is locked to their network, and they can obtain the unlock code, they should provide the unlock code to anyone who meets the eligibility criteria.

• Advertisement

christy c wrote: »
    Not sure if asked before, but is there a time limit on porting? If I sign up, pay one month @ 7.99 and then early next year when the other contract is up can I port and restart the 7.99 plan?
    Yep, that'll work fine.

Quackster wrote: »
    From my experience it doesn't have to be associated with the account that makes the unlock request. In the past I have successfully had Three (and Vodafone) unlock devices that were not linked to my Three (or Vodafone) account.

As long as the device is locked to their network, and they can obtain the unlock code, they should provide the unlock code to anyone who meets the eligibility criteria.

Yep. This is what I did before too, that's why I'm wondering what I can do now since this seems not be be successful.

Their chat feature is disabled on their site, so I can't ask anyone directly.

It looks like it can be unlocked online, but for prices of €65, I'd nearly buy an unlocked phone for that price. I think I might just call into a B&M shop and see how I get on.

Yep. This is what I did before too, that's why I'm wondering what I can do now since this seems not be be successful.

Their chat feature is disabled on their site, so I can't ask anyone directly.

It looks like it can be unlocked online, but for prices of €65, I'd nearly buy an unlocked phone for that price. I think I might just call into a B&M shop and see how I get on.
    I'm wondering if it takes longer to get iPhones unlocked?

Quackster wrote: »
    I'm wondering if it takes longer to get iPhones unlocked?

Says 2 days, up to 10. Past that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KB22

I have a tesco phone , it has the same prefix as 48.ie. Will a 48.ie sim work in it or do I need to have it unlocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

KB22 wrote: »
    I have a tesco phone , it has the same prefix as 48.ie. Will a 48.ie sim work in it or do I need to have it unlocked?

You'll need to get it unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

The prefix 089 is irrelevant. It's the MNC that matters...48 and Tesco have the same MNC but it might be technically possible for Tesco to further restrict use to a range of ICCID

So it might work but you'll only know when you put the SIM in the phone. Order a 48 SIM and try it out.

If it's a phone bought with a contract that has ended, request an unlock code from Tesco

If it's a PAYG phone then it can be unlocked if topped up by a minimum €150 or is on Tesco Mobile Network for 9 months or more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Says 2 days, up to 10. Past that now.

Switched my daughter from 3 to 48 today. Had to get onto 3 to get the unlock code for her phone. Did so on line, giving them all the account details. They sent me an email with the unlock code within 30 mins. They did say it could take 2 to 30 days.
    I would get onto them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭gipi

An update to my earlier query re porting from Tesco to 48.

After 3 days of chat and getting nowhere, my buddy finally got someone who seemed to understand the problem - part of the problem is Tesco include letters in their account numbers and the 48 port screen won't accept them. The staff can enter the details, so finally he's been ported!

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

I have a 48 SIM card I tested in an old 3G dongle, connected to a an old TP link router. I was getting around 2Mbs download.
    I intend buying a new router. I know you aren't supposed to use them this way but wondering are there any issues doing this in practice?

• Advertisement

lighthouse wrote: »
    I have a 48 SIM card I tested in an old 3G dongle, connected to a an old TP link router. I was getting around 2Mbs download.
    I intend buying a new router. I know you aren't supposed to use them this way but wondering are there any issues doing this in practice?

You need to enter the same Apn settings for 48 that you have setup in your phone, into your Router also.

To do that you need to connect your router to your phone wirelessly or to your laptop by ethernet.

From either your phone or laptop you need to enter the address of your router into a web browsers address bar.

Then the routers interface shows up. Look for settings in menu and choose Apn settings.

See post number 1500 in page 100 of this thread. I uploaded two screenshots of the settings that I used. My router is a Tp Link 4G Archer MR600.

The address for Tp Link Routers is http://tplinkmodem.net or http://192.168.1.1 but the latter did not work for me

You need to enter the same Apn settings for 48 that you have setup in your phone, into your Router also.

To do that you need to connect your router to your phone wirelessly or to your laptop by ethernet.

From either your phone or laptop you need to enter the address of your router into a web browsers address bar.

Then the routers interface shows up. Look for settings in menu and choose Apn settings.

See post number 1500 in page 100 of this thread. I uploaded two screenshots of the settings that I used. My router is a Tp Link 4G Archer MR600.

The address for Tp Link Routers is http://tplinkmodem.net or http://192.168.1.1 but the latter did not work for me

Thanks for that. It's a very old router, an MR3420. I was just experimenting with it. I tried what you suggested. I'm not sure if I did it right but there was no difference. It's a 3G dongle, Huawei E1550.
    Is that a good router you have? I was reading somewhere that Huawei modems are better. What do you think?

lighthouse wrote: »
    Thanks for that. It's a very old router, an MR3420. I was just experimenting with it. I tried what you suggested. I'm not sure if I did it right but there was no difference. It's a 3G dongle, Huawei E1550.
    Is that a good router you have? I was reading somewhere that Huawei modems are better. What do you think?

I'm not an expert. Boardsie Poster Ten Pin helped me sort out my problem with the Apn.

You need to try the Router for a few days. My Router worked without the Apn but not all the time. I used to have to reset it in the morning to connect again.

There are not many Routers outside of the Networks that offer 4g + Ethernet Broadband. This can be useful if your Fibre goes down because you have the 4g backup.

My model was a bit pricey and hard to source. I got it from Elara for €175 but I wanted some future proofing.

Others in Boards have more experience with Routers than me.

You can just use a spare phone as a hotspot . Look into that. There have been times when I wished I'd done that and out money into something else.

A lot depends on what you want to use it for.

I'm not an expert. Boardsie Poster Ten Pin helped me sort out my problem with the Apn.

You need to try the Router for a few days. My Router worked without the Apn but not all the time. I used to have to reset it in the morning to connect again.

There are not many Routers outside of the Networks that offer 4g + Ethernet Broadband. This can be useful if your Fibre goes down because you have the 4g backup.

My model was a bit pricey and hard to source. I got it from Elara for €175 but I wanted some future proofing.

Others in Boards have more experience with Routers than me.

You can just use a spare phone as a hotspot . Look into that. There have been times when I wished I'd done that and out money into something else.

A lot depends on what you want to use it for.

Cheers for that useful info. I know there is another thread on routers. I must have a proper look at it.
    I'm moving house in a couple of weeks and GoMo signal isn't as strong but 48 is better. I have just managed tethering my phone anytime I use my laptop or stream which isn't very often anyway.
    I have 2 spare phones so could use one of them hotspotting permanently I suppose as long as my charger didn't go on fire. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭beachhead

gipi wrote: »
    An update to my earlier query re porting from Tesco to 48.

After 3 days of chat and getting nowhere, my buddy finally got someone who seemed to understand the problem - part of the problem is Tesco include letters in their account numbers and the 48 port screen won't accept them. The staff can enter the details, so finally he's been ported!

Thanks for the replies.
    Agree with the above about Tesco letters and that 48 C.S can enter the account number.But what an experience trying to get 48 chat.I've been waiting 3 days now for the chat box and my membership expires in 2 days with my payment card delisted in my account & no way of entering it again.My number reverted back to allocated 089 number.NIGHTMARE.Will prob have to port away and port back to solve it.

KB22 wrote: »

Tesco require that you have the phone more than 9 months and have spent e150 minimum in that time if on prepay

I suppose the only way to answer this would be to bear in mind that 48.ie is using THREE Ireland's infrastructure. If you've not used 48months (now rebranded as 48.ie) or THREE Ireland in the past you could consider (1) Order a SIM Card via 48.ie website (2) Activate it for your free 1 GB and see if the coverage if satisfactory for your requirements and (3) Buy a Membership if satisfied with the initial free 1GB given. Should you experience any problems, they also have a Live "Chat Now" service and the 48 Community forum https://community.48.ie/ for advice on various aspects/issues with 48.ie

Note: 10th November is closing date deadline for the €7.99 promotional plan which includes 100GB/All Calls/All Texts
    You did not mention that the 48 chat can take days to connect to if not usin FB,Snapchat or Twitter and the community has tons of out of date stuff on it

DopeTech wrote: »
    Tell him to switch to Tesco pay as you go and then try and port. One or two had similar problems porting from bill.
    48 Chat can process the porting for you if as you say you get stay in contact with them.I'm waiting 3 days now for the chat box to appear to sort another problem.My48 cannot process letters and numbers in the "move my number" section of 48

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭kpn

beachhead wrote: »
    48 Chat can process the porting for you if as you say you get stay in contact with them.I'm waiting 3 days now for the chat box to appear to sort another problem.My48 cannot process letters and numbers in the "move my number" section of 48

I moved my number from Tesco (bill pay) to 48, I filled the customer number shown in my bill (ex. x.xxxxx) not the account reference with letters+numbers , it worked and now I am on 48 network.

• Advertisement

kpn wrote: »
    I moved my number from Tesco (bill pay) to 48, I filled the customer number shown in my bill (ex. x.xxxxx) not the account reference with letters+numbers , it worked and now I am on 48 network.

You were "lucky" with that.

Advertisement