Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Put in the sim, activated it, and phone showing Tesco Mobile and data not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Check APN...

48months.liffeytelecom.com

Turn on Data Roaming (might not matter but no harm either)

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭hdl

Put in the sim, activated it, and phone showing Tesco Mobile and data not working.

Same happened to me to start with. Had to restart the phone to get the data to work (had already checked APN settings and all were correct).

Am stuck with it saying Tesco Mobile though, as apparently that's what it shows as on Huawei phones.

Anyone know what Three's requirements are for unlocking a phone? Have a friend who would like to port. Has been with 3 for years and topped up by 20 every month. Bought current phone from 3 in June of this year, so unsure of whether you need to have the handset a certain length before they'll unlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

hdl wrote: »
    Same happened to me to start with. Had to restart the phone to get the data to work (had already checked APN settings and all were correct).

Am stuck with it saying Tesco Mobile though, as apparently that's what it shows as on Huawei phones.

Strange, my mum's phone says 48 and it's Huawei. Mine is a Huawei too. Porting going on for 4 hours now and still not done.

• Advertisement

Anyone know what Three's requirements are for unlocking a phone? Have a friend who would like to port. Has been with 3 for years and topped up by 20 every month. Bought current phone from 3 in June of this year, so unsure of whether you need to have the handset a certain length before they'll unlock.

https://www.three.ie/legal/policies/unlocking-policy/

130 top up, so 3 years of 20 per month is well over that. Doesn't seem to be any minimum ownership duration.

They'll lose the keep credit plan if they port from 3.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    https://www.three.ie/legal/policies/unlocking-policy/

130 top up, so 3 years of 20 per month is well over that. Doesn't seem to be any minimum ownership duration.

They'll lose the keep credit plan if they port from 3.

Thanks. Yeah I did see their link about unlocking and knew he'd have spent well over the 130. But when I saw a post above about Tesco requiring the handset to be 9 months (I think?) old, it made me wonder if three had a similar requirement for the handset.

I think he's ok with losing the keep credit plan. He only has free calls to other three numbers, then the €20 top up is spent on calls to landlines and other networks, so he's not saving anything by staying with Three. I'll let him decide anyway once the recruiter sim arrives. Thanks.

But when I saw a post above about Tesco requiring the handset to be 9 months

Each network has their own policy. Tesco unlock policy for PAYG is 9 months on their network OR 150e top up.
    https://www.tescomobile.ie/help-centre/your-phone/unlocking-your-phone

The 9 month condition doesn't seem to have any top up condition so in theory you could buy a phone now with a Tesco SIM and get it unlocked in 9 months with top up of a tenner every few months...whether that works in practice is another matter.
    ...then the €20 top up is spent on calls to landlines and other networks,

Three's main benefit is the unlimited data. There are calling apps like yolla that 3 credit can be used for which would reduce the cost of out of plan calls significantly.

OTOH if he doesn't need more than 100GB, 48 is probably better value.

He could still keep the 3 SIM and not port to 48....depends on whether using a 089 number matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

Hi folks Tring to change details on the 48 set up everytme I change doesn't save goes back to original info

How long do u have to wait for the old provider to go from your phone ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

faolteam wrote: »
    How long do u have to wait for the old provider to go from your phone ?

If it's inside of porting hours then anything from 2 minutes to a couple of hours. If you're moving from pay as you go it's often quicker than from bill pay. Mine moved from gomo to 48 in about 15 minutes.

DopeTech wrote: »
    If it's inside of porting hours then anything from 2 minutes to a couple of hours. If you're moving from pay as you go it's often quicker than from bill pay. Mine moved from gomo to 48 in about 15 minutes.

No it's pay as u go , I'm doing one for my father too do I have to change the number staright away if I don't do I loose my contacts

If I do t want to port straight away which button do i press keep my number or new number 🀣

No it's pay as u go , I'm doing one for my father too do I have to change the number staright away if I don't do I loose my contacts

If I do t want to port straight away which button do i press keep my number or new number 🀣

You don't need to port straight away.

Contacts won't be lost but it depends where they are saved whether you will have to export them from the sim or not. If they were saved to the phone or google then they should still appear after you swap the sims.

If I dont want to port straight away which button do i press keep my number or new number

New Number

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Strange, my mum's phone says 48 and it's Huawei. Mine is a Huawei too. Porting going on for 4 hours now and still not done.

Ported the daughters phone last night, Huawei, says Tesco today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭gussieg

got 3 sims, trying to set up a second one, but cant seem to access the other two sims. first one set up after porting.seems to work grand.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Ported the daughters phone last night, Huawei, says Tesco today.

That's normal on huawei phones. They seem that get the carrier name differently to all other manufacturers.

gussieg wrote: »
    got 3 sims, trying to set up a second one, but cant seem to access the other two sims. first one set up after porting.seems to work grand.

Did you activate all 3 on the website?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭gussieg

no not yet, could only seem to activate one so far.

gussieg wrote: »

Are you receiving an error? contacted online chat?

• Advertisement

Are you using separate email/login for each SIM?

48 only allow one SIM per email.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Are you using separate email/login for each SIM?

48 only allow one SIM per email.

Tom.brady@gmail.com and T.ombrady@gmail.com etc will work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KB22

I got a tesco unlock code of 24 numbers. How do I use this to unlock a samsung A10 ?

KB22 wrote: »
    I got a tesco unlock code of 24 numbers. How do I use this to unlock a samsung A10 ?

Put a sim from another network in the phone and it should ask you for a Network unlock code. If it doesn't then its already unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Well, as a follow up to my quandry, I am sorted. I'm not sure though it's going to be of any help to anyone who is in the same predicament, as I can't explain why it's now working.

Before I called into the Three shop, I put the 48 sim into my own phone, and made sure it worked (e.g. was registered on the network). Just to see if anything had changed, I took it out, and put it into the iphone6 belonged to my daughter, and I was asked to sign into iTunes, and once I did, it worked.

Perhaps I just needed to wait until Three unlocked it through iTunes or whatever. People in a better understanding than I may explain the workings of it, but I'm just grateful it's working now.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Well, as a follow up to my quandry, I am sorted. I'm not sure though it's going to be of any help to anyone who is in the same predicament, as I can't explain why it's now working.

Before I called into the Three shop, I put the 48 sim into my own phone, and made sure it worked (e.g. was registered on the network). Just to see if anything had changed, I took it out, and put it into the iphone6 belonged to my daughter, and I was asked to sign into iTunes, and once I did, it worked.

Perhaps I just needed to wait until Three unlocked it through iTunes or whatever. People in a better understanding than I may explain the workings of it, but I'm just grateful it's working now.
    Yeah, my understanding is that iPhones are unlocked through iTunes so the network doesn't need to send an unlock code to the customer.

oh big mistake ported earlier at 5 still porting porb be monday now agghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭briancannon18

oh big mistake ported earlier at 5 still porting porb be monday now agghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

They deal with porting until 4pm on Saturday also, so should be ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

hey guys if u miss out by a day after the month ie 24 hours , will u loose the offer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Hi, could anybody give me advice re a samsung phone I bought A70 last Dec. Its overheating at night when not in use. Power save appears to have stopped this. Now phone started switching off several times although no longer overheating and battery not empty.

I have synced and backup contacts and photos to google. I also backed up contacts to samsung.( I have a number of documents on phone but unsure where to store these)Is there anything else I should do before wiping phone for repair. Many thanks.

Advertisement