Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    Eir are not releasing an unlocking code for my dad's basic dumb phone. They say it is unlocked.

It is locked.

They are increasing his call charges

48 would be good for him.

What phone is it? You can probably get an unlock code on eBay for a few euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

DopeTech wrote: »
    What phone is it? You can probably get an unlock code on eBay for a few euro.

Or if it's like my dad's phone get a cheap Nokia off amazon for about £12, or buy two of them if you don't have prime for free delivery.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-105-Dual-SIM-black-unlocked-Black/dp/B07WGZZN56/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=nokia+105&qid=1603042563&quartzVehicle=106-1339&replacementKeywords=nokia&sr=8-3
    noikia 105? £15.40 it is actulaly, then a fresh battery and if it's similar to his own phone he'd be ok, or buy something or similar to the old one, bit of a waste of the locked phone but could be hassle free and relatively cheap.

EDIT: Maybe ignore that as 48 might be a 3G only sim? I'm not sure. THat phone only 2g

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

My bank PTSB won’t send security code to my fone with 48 sim.Anyone have this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

My bank PTSB won’t send security code to my fone with 48 sim.Anyone have this issue?

Might take a day or two for the routing database to be updated with the new provider.

If it doesn't work tomorrow morning contact 48 to get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Folks i have two questions i know were asked before

1.If you top up Manually are you sent a text to say your Subscription is Due Tomorrow?

2. If i forget to top up in the month and leave it for 2-4 days do i loose thge offer?

3. My father is not great with phones so im trying to get a Simple Phone Big Buttons, No Camera Required or wifi, But Most of these phones are mostly on 2g which is not great in Accomadation he is in , so is there a similar phone but its on 4g if anyone can recommend and help with the Questions i asked .

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

1.If you top up Manually are you sent a text to say your Subscription is Due Tomorrow?
    You'll probably get a notification text a day before the end of current sub whether you top up manually or auto.

2. If i forget to top up in the month and leave it for 2-4 days do i lose the offer?
    No. To retain the offer requires buying 7.99 membership before 10 November. Skipping a few days (or up to 6 months) doesn't affect the availability of 7.99 deal.

3. My father is not great with phones so im trying to get a Simple Phone Big Buttons, No Camera Required or wifi, But Most of these phones are mostly on 2g which is not great in Accomadation he is in , so is there a similar phone but its on 4g if anyone can recommend
    Some basic phones have 3G capability, unlikely to get a basic 4G phone at a reasonable price. Calls and text will be via 3G anyway. Is there any chance he'd be able to get used to a 3G smartphone with just the dialler and text apps available?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Does anyone want 2 Sims?
    I got 5 but have 2 left over.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

Does anyone know if 48 throttle download and upload speeds compared to what is available to three customers in the same location at the same time? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

Vodafone rang me twice since I switched to 48 a few weeks ago trying to get me to switch back. I said if you can beat 8 euro a month I'll consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

thegoth wrote: »
    Does anyone know if 48 throttle download and upload speeds compared to what is available to three customers in the same location at the same time? Thanks.

Was just about to comment about this. My speeds seem to be lower with 48 than with 3. Bit disappointing, will have to monitor for a few days to make sure though.

• Advertisement

Was just about to comment about this. My speeds seem to be lower with 48 than with 3. Bit disappointing, will have to monitor for a few days to make sure though.

Seen a few people mention this. I've never noticed any difference when I done tests in different places around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

Boxfresh wrote: »
    Vodafone rang me twice since I switched to 48 a few weeks ago trying to get me to switch back. I said if you can beat 8 euro a month I'll consider.

Did they offer you anything? I'm with the old data plus deal and I'm betwixt and between changing cos the coverage is pretty good but not quite as good. I've a dual sim phone so I've 48 well tested against the Vodafone one. I've been on text chat to look for an offer but they said you've to ring and when I ring I can't get through to anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KB22

blade1 wrote: »
    Does anyone want 2 Sims?
    I got 5 but have 2 left over.

Hi Blade, I got a faulty card from 48. Got a reply just now they will try and look at this within a week? If it takes that long i'll miss the cut off date. Have you still got a spare sim ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭blade1

KB22 wrote: »
    Hi Blade, I got a faulty card from 48. Got a reply just now they will try and look at this within a week? If it takes that long i'll miss the cut off date. Have you still got a spare sim ?
    Pm your name and address and you can have both.
    I can post them tomorrow.
    They are only going in the bin otherwise.

I ordered two ages ago still never came anyone else waiting

Ten Pin wrote: »
    You'll probably get a notification text a day before the end of current sub whether you top up manually or auto.

No. To retain the offer requires buying 7.99 membership before 10 November. Skipping a few days (or up to 6 months) doesn't affect the availability of 7.99 deal.

Some basic phones have 3G capability, unlikely to get a basic 4G phone at a reasonable price. Calls and text will be via 3G anyway. Is there any chance he'd be able to get used to a 3G smartphone with just the dialler and text apps available?
    Holding a phone is not easy so I was just wondering if they have big bUTTON. 3g phones

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Also have a few spares if anyone wants anyway. PM me & I'll pop in the post.

Quackster wrote: »
    Also have a few spares if anyone wants anyway. PM me & I'll pop in the post.

Share the links over in the referral codes forum and save yourself the trip out to the postbox!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

DopeTech wrote: »
    Share the links over in the referral codes forum and save yourself the trip out to the postbox!
    Yep, that's the better way to go but if someone has been left waiting in vain on a SIM from 48 for an extended period of time, they might like to try an alternate avenue.

Sorry if it's been asked before but having trouble setting up voicemail. Looked at the 48 community advice and still no luck tried on 2 phones too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Sorry if it's been asked before but having trouble setting up voicemail. Looked at the 48 community advice and still no luck tried on 2 phones too.

Not sure if you tried following any of the advice for setting up Voicemail via below web link here:

https://community.48.ie/t5/The-Knowledgebase/How-do-I-use-my-Voicemail/ta-p/244

Not sure if you tried following any of the advice for setting up Voicemail via below web link here:

https://community.48.ie/t5/The-Knowledgebase/How-do-I-use-my-Voicemail/ta-p/244

Thanks, tried that but no good.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭boardz

Just to say I was trying to sort out my vm for the last hour ...kept getting a number not recognised message when I checked if vm was activated. It seems there are 2 very similar (but different) sets of instructions on the 48 help pages and from the link above I used the option 4 instructions very slowly digit by digit and it worked.

I recommend you go on to 48.ie Web Chat between 9am - 9pm Mon - Fri or 9am - 8pm Sat & Sun. They helped me when I could not register for a Free 1GB SIM when I encountered problems online and it was sorted promptly. Otherwise, you could also post the query on 48 Community Forum by outlining what happens when you attempt to set-up voicemail as others may have a solution.

boardz wrote: »
    Just to say I was trying to sort out my vm for the last hour ...kept getting a number not recognised message when I checked if vm was activated. It seems there are 2 very similar (but different) sets of instructions on the 48 help pages and from the link above I used the option 4 instructions very slowly digit by digit and it worked.

Thanks, must've tried a dozen times now though, option 4 of above. When you say slowly what do you mean? I was simply dialling the full number and tapping call, then the error message.

Thanks, must've tried a dozen times now though, option 4 of above. When you say slowly what do you mean? I was simply dialling the full number and tapping call, then the error message.

I presume you are entering 00353, then your mobile prefix (drop zero from your mobile prefix as using international code) and then add digit 5 (for voicemail) and then enter rest of your mobile number (7 digits)

Example given by 48 below was this guideline which you will adapt but using same format
    00353 89 5 1234567

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭boardz

I was putting the extra 5 in the wrong place....I did it the first time and every other time I just amended the 62 or 67 from recent calls but of course all of them were wrong because of that pesky 5. Also note that there is only 1 * at the very start.

I was trying politely to say be very careful on the inputting :)

boardz wrote: »
    I was putting the extra 5 in the wrong place....I did it the first time and every other time I just amended the 62 or 67 from recent calls but of course all of them were wrong because of that pesky 5. Also note that there is only 1 * at the very start.

I was trying politely to say be very careful on the inputting :)

Yeah that digit ' 5 ' always comes in-between the mobile prefix and rest of the number. If you want to leave a voicemail for someone on their mobile, it's like doing it without ringing and waiting for them to pick-up first. It's more direct and would be similar when dialling the other Irish mobile networks too.

Thank you all, I'm an idiot.

• Advertisement

Thank you all, I'm an idiot.

It can be confusing when you are changing mobile network and/or handset especially; if you have not done it before or have not done it for a long time. Glad to help if and when I can.

Advertisement