Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

Has anyone had issues porting their number across?

I was with Three on bill pay with contract finished phone unlocked, and every time I try to port it i get the same email "There's been a problem moving your number. You'll need to check you've selected the right account type."

It's weird the first window is "Enter the mobile number you want to move over to 48" followed by the security code and then the window "enter your account number". I presume this account number is my Three account number, which is 9 digits long. However the box requires 10 digits? This didn't work. Added a zero at the front, then the back, both didn't work. Then just reentered my phone number in the account number section as that's 10 digits long. Also didn't work.

Anyone have any similar issues or can help me out? Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

MOH wrote: »
    This is ridiculous. It keeps telling me I can't order a SIM because I'm outside Ireland.

I've tried on:
    - via broadband
    - via broadband with Irish VPN
    - mobile on wifi
    - mobile (on Three!)

And in incognito mode on all of them.

Is their site just knackered? This isn't very confidence inspiring

Got a reply from 48 customer service, reasonably quickly in fairness.

Except they just told me to try another browser or another computer.
    Despite me telling them in the original mail I'd already tried multiple devices and browsers. Guess I'll be going elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Setanter

Despite me telling them in the original mail I'd already tried multiple devices and browsers. Guess I'll be going elsewhere

This was happening to me also.
    For me, turned off the VPN (which was set to Ireland, should not have mattered), then closed all browsers, opened Chrome incognito. Finally there was peace.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I've an unused SIM surplus to requirements. If you want to PM me your address, I can stick it in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Daibheid

You'll get exactly the same level of response when you look for service support on coverage issues.
    They don't read or care about what you tell them and just hit you with boilerplate responses and then nothing.
    You have been warned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Daibheid wrote: »
    You'll get exactly the same level of response when you look for service support on coverage issues.
    They don't read or care about what you tell them and just hit you with boilerplate responses and then nothing.
    You have been warned!

No better lad than myself to stick it to all comers but I've been with 48 for donkeys years, very, very rare ive needed to contact them as their site plus searchable community answers everything but couldn't fault their support myself.

I shouldn't say this as all ye GOMO can f#ck off and not be swamping my 48 but anywho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I have had to contact 48 twice in 2.5 years, both times the issue (one my fault not reading up on roaming, the other an issue with porting) was resolved quickly between chat and them calling me re the porting issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Setanter wrote: »
    This was happening to me also.
    For me, turned off the VPN (which was set to Ireland, should not have mattered), then closed all browsers, opened Chrome incognito. Finally there was peace.
    Cheers. I just got it to work in IE. With the Irish VPN on. Fairly sure I'd tried Chrome incognito last week. Still says I'm abroad in Brave, even after deleting all local storage.
    I say "work" - I got as far as entering my address and I've had an animated 48 logo for the last 5 minutes, so no idea if I've ordered a SIM or not.

Quackster wrote: »
    I've an unused SIM surplus to requirements. If you want to PM me your address, I can stick it in the post.
    Hey, really appreciate the offer, thanks a million.
    But if I'm having this hassle just trying to get a SIM off them it's not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Cheers. I just got it to work in IE. With the Irish VPN on. Fairly sure I'd tried Chrome incognito last week. Still says I'm abroad in Brave, even after deleting all local storage.
    I say "work" - I got as far as entering my address and I've had an animated 48 logo for the last 5 minutes, so no idea if I've ordered a SIM or not.

Hey, really appreciate the offer, thanks a million.
    But if I'm having this hassle just trying to get a SIM off them it's not worth the hassle.

The site is under going maintenance this morning may not be working properly.

After the maintenance my sim finally swapped over. Realized their "4G" is actually LTE..what's the deal with that? Also would have assumed personal hotspot would be a given in 2020, but doesn't appear to be working at all?

I guess its vodafone in a month for me...

• Advertisement

Personal hotspot works fine for me.

Personal hotspot works fine for me.

Can I ask how? On an iPhone, I went into cellular settings, selected “set up personal hotspot” and a pop-up tells me “to enable personal hotspot on this account, contact Carrier” .. I don’t remember it being this hard with Three

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Kirby2k07 wrote: »
    Can I ask how? On an iPhone, I went into cellular settings, selected “set up personal hotspot” and a pop-up tells me “to enable personal hotspot on this account, contact Carrier” .. I don’t remember it being this hard with Three

I had the exact same problem with an IPhone and Virgin Mobile, worked on a Nokia with no problems though.

Worked out of the box for me. Mobile Data > Personal Hotspot > APN set to 48months.liffeytelecom.com

Spend one quarter the money next time and buy a proper phone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

FFVII wrote: »
    Spend one quarter the money next time and buy a proper phone

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Initially struggled to get any connection when setting up my sim. Used the following link to ensure I had the correct settings and everything worked as expected:

http://48months.tweakker.com/choose

Just tested 48 sim with the free 1gb and suprised it's killing Vodafone in download and upload speeds around the house. That may be good enough for me.

Does it support 2 factor authorisation messages? Just asking as I signed up to Virgin 10 euro unlimited deal this morning but am in the process of cancelling as I didn't realise they don't support 2FA messages from banks etc. This would be a deal breaker for me as I use them every day

Edit- also same as above hot spot doesn't work on my iPhone 11, it says contact carrier. Will look into that but no big deal, have a work phone with unlimited Vodafone usage and hot-spot is fine.

Edit2 - found answer to 2fa and appears it works :) great news.

Will wait til my VF credit expires

Worked out of the box for me. Mobile Data > Personal Hotspot > APN set to 48months.liffeytelecom.com

I found another way (iphone 11 on iOS 13.5) there and it's after getting rid of ask the carrier message.

Settings - mobile data - mobile data network - scroll down to personal hotspot and insert attached settings

Apn: 48months.liffeytelecom.com
    Username: admin
    Password: password

Works 100% for me now and I'm still testing with the 1gb free. Agents online were quick to respond regarding the 2nd month free membership for referral (misses is going to sign up too, handy) and confirmed 2FA bank messages etc are not blocked by them. Good experience so far. Will be porting tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

For those who switched from GoMo - I tried to move twice today but keep getting this message:
    There's been a problem moving your number. You'll need to check you've selected the right account type. For example, have you put in 'prepay unregistered' where it's meant to be 'prepay registered'? If so, you can go back and enter the correct details on the move your number page

On the port page I have an option for Prepay, Billpay and Business/Family. I have tried Prepay and Billpay but neither worked - any ideas?

Another thing I noticed was my Gomo account number was 8 digits but 48 wanted a 10 digit number - I just threw two 0's in front which might not have been the correct option...

• Advertisement

For those who switched from GoMo - I tried to move twice today but keep getting this message:

On the port page I have an option for Prepay, Billpay and Business/Family. I have tried Prepay and Billpay but neither worked - any ideas?

Another thing I noticed was my Gomo account number was 8 digits but 48 wanted a 10 digit number - I just threw two 0's in front which might not have been the correct option...

Have you tried contacting the live chat? Mine initially came up ''Error - Sorry! this msisdn already exists'' but they said to go out of the app and try again and it should work, which it did.

rizzee wrote: »
    I found another way (iphone 11 on iOS 13.5) there and it's after getting rid of ask the carrier message.

Settings - mobile data - mobile data network - scroll down to personal hotspot and insert attached settings

Apn: 48months.liffeytelecom.com
    Username: admin
    Password: password

Works 100% for me now and I'm still testing with the 1gb free. Agents online were quick to respond regarding the 2nd month free membership for referral (misses is going to sign up too, handy) and confirmed 2FA bank messages etc are not blocked by them. Good experience so far. Will be porting tomorrow.

I did this, same phone, and hotspot can be turned on, my phone can be found by my laptop but once the two connect my laptop is reading "connected, no internet". Then on the actual iphone while I have data, 48 prevents me from switching on my wifi while connecting to hotspot. Does the same thing happen to you?
    When I was with Three, iphone wifi had to be switched on along with data in order for the hotspot to work.....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Still not got a sim. Any point ordering again?

kneemos wrote: »
    Still not got a sim. Any point ordering again?

I ordered 5 on Monday. Came today.

Anyone else's data not working??Just noticed it the last 30 mins or so. Won't load any sites etc. Had to swap to wifi

rizzee wrote: »
    Anyone else's data not working??Just noticed it the last 30 mins or so. Won't load any sites etc. Had to swap to wifi

Fine here.

Only time it went down in years was that time someone cut the fibre optic by accident.

FFVII wrote: »
    Fine here.

Only time it went down in years was that time someone cut the fibre optic by accident.

Was onto the live chat. After a few minutes and trying different options I had to turn on airplane mode then turn it off and it worked. Strange one!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

I think I'm finally done with 3 and thinking of moving to 48, hopefully the 40gb will do me. Do 2fa texts 100% work with these?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

Switched yesterday. Decent speeds.

• Advertisement

xtal191 wrote: »
    I think I'm finally done with 3 and thinking of moving to 48, hopefully the 40gb will do me. Do 2fa texts 100% work with these?

Yes

Advertisement