Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KB22

Yes one of them is an alcatel the other a samsung. I am giving up on this, going to the local not so friendly store tomorrow. To get it unlocked. 48.ie recommend this course of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

KB22 wrote: »
    Yes one of them is an alcatel the other a samsung. I am giving up on this, going to the local not so friendly store tomorrow. To get it unlocked. 48.ie recommend this course of action.

If you know what model alcatel it is then ebay will most likely have an unlock code. Same for the Samsung. Did Tesco give you 2 unlock codes then or just one for the Samsung and none for the alcatel?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Cork981

Anyone notice throttling at 50mb now on 48 ? Was generally getting >100mb but hitting a hard limit at 50mb now.

Update: rebooted sorted it, back to +100mb download

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KB22

DopeTech wrote: »
    If you know what model alcatel it is then ebay will most likely have an unlock code. Same for the Samsung. Did Tesco give you 2 unlock codes then or just one for the Samsung and none for the alcatel?

Tesco gave me 1 code for the samsung and 2 for the alcatel. I am not wasting any more time at this. I will go to the local unlock place, weather permitting. Thank's for all the replies. Regard's KB.

Tesco gave me 1 code for the samsung and 2 for the alcatel. I am not wasting any more time at this. I will go to the local unlock place , weather permitting. Thank's for all the replies. Regard's KB.

https://imgflip.com/gif/1ymd3v

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

https://www.simplyunlocked.co.uk/unlocking-guides/general-alcatel-unlocking-instructions/
    There are two methods to unlock your Alcatel mobile phone.

Method 1

1) Start with an UNACCEPTED SIM Card inserted (unaccepted means a sim card from a different network).

2) Message “Enter Network Key” will appear, now enter the Unlock Code provided by email.

3) The phone will now be unlocked.

Method 2

1) Start your Alcatel WITHOUT ANY SIM CARD INSERTED

2) On the dialling screen enter the following sequence:

*#0000*CODE#

3) To complete the unlocking process enter, again on the dialling screen the following sequence:

*#0001*CODE#

4) Your phone will now be unlocked.

Don't know why 2 codes were provided without Tesco explaining which one to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Have a sim which i tested in a Oneplus device a month or so ago. Haven't purchased the 7.99 membership yet. My plan is to move my son's GoMo number over to 48 (he's on the 12.99 package) - however he has an iPhone.

Wondering if there's any extra setup to do on the iphone once i put the 48 SIM into it? When i put it into the oneplus i had to manually configure the APN etc.

Thanks in advance

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Have a sim which i tested in a Oneplus device a month or so ago. Haven't purchased the 7.99 membership yet. My plan is to move my son's GoMo number over to 48 (he's on the 12.99 package) - however he has an iPhone.

Wondering if there's any extra setup to do on the iphone once i put the 48 SIM into it? When i put it into the oneplus i had to manually configure the APN etc.

Thanks in advance

1.Make sure the iphone is unlocked.
    2. May have to enter apn settings but they usually auto download.
    3. Re-register imessage

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭blade1

3. Re-register imessage
    Just to add.. I think you need to buy at least €1 credit to get your iMessage up and running.

blade1 wrote: »
    Just to add.. I think you need to buy at least €1 credit to get your iMessage up and running.

Yes I think it's about 25c to activate imessage. The sim should have €1 on it but if you spent it then yes you will need to top up again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Hatshepsut

Hi all - hope ye can advice me. I'm with Tesco Mobile, €15 a month top up sim only, so I'm hoping to move to 48 to get this deal. I ordered Sim online, received it but haven't done a thing since, haven't activated Sim or bought membership.
    I topped up with Tesco 18th Oct before I saw the 48 deal. So my Q is - as the 48 offer is only until the 10th Nov, how or when should I join 48/activate Sim/buy membership and not lose my last few days of Tesco Mobile credit of the month. I hope my query makes sense - I really don't understand the whole membership thing to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Activate the sim now, when you are finished with tesco, port over to 48 and pay the 7.99 then.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

Hatshepsut wrote: »
    Hi all - hope ye can advice me. I'm with Tesco Mobile, €15 a month top up sim only, so I'm hoping to move to 48 to get this deal. I ordered Sim online, received it but haven't done a thing since, haven't activated Sim or bought membership.
    I topped up with Tesco 18th Oct before I saw the 48 deal. So my Q is - as the 48 offer is only until the 10th Nov, how or when should I join 48/activate Sim/buy membership and not lose my last few days of Tesco Mobile credit of the month. I hope my query makes sense - I really don't understand the whole membership thing to be honest.

The 48 sim has 1 GB data so you can test the signal before you buy the membership.
    You have to but the membership before Nov 10th to avail of the 7.99 offer. You can port your number anytime after that.
    Make sure your phone is unlocked before porting over to 48.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Hatshepsut

Thank you both for the advice- the day I buy the membership, is that my official date then for buying membership every month then?
    So say I buy membership on the 9th Nov - do I have to topup/buy membership on the 9th of every month thereafter to keep the plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Hatshepsut wrote: »
    Thank you both for the advice- the day I buy the membership, is that my official date then for buying membership every month then?
    So say I buy membership on the 9th Nov - do I have to topup/buy membership on the 9th of every month thereafter to keep the plan?

On the 9th then yes.
    You can set it to auto renew to save yourself the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

My self and my wife switched from three, found it all very easy and efficient and no speed drop that I've noticed. In arklow and speed varies a bit on either network but normally about 50 Mbps which is plenty for my. Have seen over 130Mbps at 6am one morning on three, haven't got up that early to see if it's that fast on 48!
    Great to see decent competition in the Irish phone market

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭irbx

3. Re-register imessage

Just incase it's of use to someone. I was only able to get 3g with 48 were I got 4g with three. Issue was apn setting auto pushed down was for tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com. 48 support got me to change it to 48months.liffeytelecom.com and got 4g straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

irbx wrote: »
    Just incase it's of use to someone. I was only able to get 3g with 48 were I got 4g with three. Issue was apn setting auto pushed down was for tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com. 48 support got me to change it to 48months.liffeytelecom.com and got 4g straight away

Oh yeah i had that issue too, forgot about it! was like "oh no" initially, "why did I port my number without checking speeds". A restart got 4G without changing anything, even though I'm still on the Tesco one! Might change to the 48 one, just in case!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 noconnecton

My sister is on Three she bought phone from them how does she get phone unlocked ? or can she just port over ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭PopTarts

On an iPhone, how do I check/change APN settings?

On 3G with 48 currently.

When I go into Settings-Mobile Data-Mobile Data Network all the fields are blank for APN

Is that where I should input the apn details? What apn should I be entering or details please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

My sister is on Three she bought phone from them how does she get phone unlocked ? or can she just port over ?

If she's out of contract (bill pay), or has spent enough to meet 3"s t +c (payg).
    She can ask 3 for the unlock code.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭PopTarts

PopTarts wrote: »
    On an iPhone, how do I check/change APN settings?

On 3G with 48 currently.

When I go into Settings-Mobile Data-Mobile Data Network all the fields are blank for APN

Is that where I should input the apn details? What apn should I be entering or details please?

Anyone please?

PopTarts wrote: »
    Anyone please?

48months.liffeytelecom.com

Here you go

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭shanmo

Can anyone help me figure out how I can text freetext numbers like 50100 please?

shanmo wrote: »
    Can anyone help me figure out how I can text freetext numbers like 50100 please?

You can't unfortunately. I asked them on chat and they escalated it and a few days later told me that you can't text some short numbers like 50400 as they don't have an agreement set up with the provider of those numbers. A bit annoying but all the important ones e.g bank etc are working so I'm willing to let it slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭shanmo

DopeTech wrote:
    You can't unfortunately. I asked them on chat and they escalated it and a few days later told me that you can't text some short numbers like 50400 as they don't have an agreement set up with the provider of those numbers. A bit annoying but all the important ones e.g bank etc are working so I'm willing to let it slide.

That's very annoying. Thanks for the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Just thought I'd give my experience of porting over in case its of any benefit to others.

Ported over my wife's phone yesterday. Had a few problems, but they were from our end.
    We changed my wife's Vodafone billpay to payg before attempting to port, but unfortunately when it went to payg it was not registered into my wife's details and when we tried to port the first time, we got an email from 48 to say it was not successful.

Got on to Vodafone online chat support and they sorted out the registration of the payg account and tried to port again to 48 which went through in less than 20 minutes.

Thankfully I had read through this thread and as a result was already prepared to have to insert the APN settings for Internet which I needed to do, and this worked.

Setting up voicemail was handy enough due to the info provided on this thread also. Although my wife would like it to ring for longer than 30 seconds before it goes to voicemail, but it seems 30 seconds ring time is the maximum setting.

Wife is happy with everything,. Phone calls work texts work, and internet for her WhatsApp and email working fine. We have it set to 3g as 4g is intermittent where we live and 3g is more consistent.

Thanks again to all contributors to this thread, It was very helpful for us

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I had a Tesco Alcatel phone unlocked yesterday, I was given 4 codes, the 3rd one worked, the model number is 5026D. Don't know if it will work for all but worth a try if anyone wants to try..

1) Unlock Code - 0748690964302796 2) Unlock Code - 6685491722264810 3) Unlock Code - 5486112742793148 4) Unlock Code - 4719816984852499

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭gussieg

Oh dear. I was down to last 2gbs of data, so I bought another 7.99 membership , all seemed good. Then today got a message from the app to say my data had run out. Now it won't even let me log in to the app. Anyone else having this issue?
    Thanks

Advertisement