Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Yeah although I had data but only O2 UK 3G works

I have O2 UK 2g and 4g showing as available, can connect but no data on either.
    Think this is a deal breaker, cheap is great but having data while travelling is almost a necessity now but with the pandemic I'm sure I can survive for awhile

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

I am thinking of moving from GOMO - I tested the speeds of GOMO and it varied throughout the day.

Does 48 work OK for tethering?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭spakman

Snotty wrote: »
    I have O2 UK 2g and 4g showing as available, can connect but no data on either.
    Think this is a deal breaker, cheap is great but having data while travelling is almost a necessity now but with the pandemic I'm sure I can survive for awhile

Roaming might not have been enabled on your account for some reason. check with customer care if u can get them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭DopeTech

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    I am thinking of moving from GOMO - I tested the speeds of GOMO and it varied throughout the day.

Does 48 work OK for tethering?

Yeah there's a good few people here using it for tethering. No issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

If you have credit for referrals, should that not be used towards the cost of renewing your membership before you get charged? Or is that only usable for addons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

I ordered a SIM about a month ago and I got it in a few days. I ordered a second SIM last Sunday using my recruiter link. I didn't get any confirmation email to acknowledge my order unlike the last time. However on logging onto the website it says my SIM will be with me in s few days.
    How do you get onto chat?

Edit: the chat icon appeared and I got talking to someone quickly. He said my order was on its way and I should get it tomorrow or Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭gussieg

hello, could somebody repost the image of the APN settings, im scrolling but cant seem to find it thanks. it was dopetech who posted it first

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

gussieg wrote: »
    hello, could somebody repost the image of the APN settings, im scrolling but cant seem to find it thanks. it was dopetech who posted it first

This > settings

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Thanks for posting this deal, OP.

I got the SIM today, set up the APN. Pretty straight forward. I'll try it out for a month and if it's all good, I'll move my number.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭boardz

MOH wrote: »
    If you have credit for referrals, should that not be used towards the cost of renewing your membership before you get charged? Or is that only usable for addons?

You can use your referral credit to pay for future months and you must proactively do this. It's a bit weird the way it's done but just buy as many memberships as you can with your available credit and it will then tell you when you will next be charged.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

boardz wrote: »
    You can use your referral credit to pay for future months and you must proactively do this. It's a bit weird the way it's done but just buy as many memberships as you can with your available credit and it will then tell you when you will next be charged.
    The logic to this is some folk might actually want that much credit on their accounts to cover out-of-bundle usage and it would be pretty annoying if €7.99 was disappearing from your credit every month to pay for membership without your imprimatur.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭devil-80

Hi. Could you tell me what network it use. I thought its Three but on my mobile is Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

devil-80 wrote: »
    Hi. Could you tell me what network it use. I thought its Three but on my mobile is Tesco.

You need to change the Apn. See posts above on how to do that.

It is 3 but huawei phones pick up the wrong carrier ID for some reason. Tesco is also an mnvo on the 3 network so they must share some backend infrastructure.

DopeTech wrote: »
    It is 3 but huawei phones pick up the wrong carrier ID for some reason. Tesco is also an mnvo on the 3 network so they must share some backend infrastructure.
    Could be because its Huawei P30 phone 😉

You need to change the Apn. See posts above on how to do that.
    APN is only for data settings wont make any difference in network name. Thanks

APN is only for data settings wont make any difference in network name. Thanks

Didn't realise that, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭zeebre12

If there something I have to do before the 10th to keep the offer or do I have to have completely switched over to 48? Like register it? (I have received SIM?)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭bassy

zeebre12 wrote: »
    If there something I have to do before the 10th to keep the offer or do I have to have completely switched over to 48? Like register it? (I have received SIM?)

validate your sim and top it up before 10th nov to keep the 7.99 offer

bassy wrote: »
    validate your sim and top it up before 10th nov to keep the 7.99 offer

Yes just activate the sim and buy the membership. You can port over after.

• Advertisement

I want to activate a second SIM card.

Do I need a new email address?

If my email address is myname@yahoo.com can I use my.name@yahoo.com for the 2nd SIM.

Could it lead to problems later and get my account suspended?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭bassy

Do I need a new email addresd?

If my email address is myname@yahoo.com can I use my.name@yahoo.com for the 2nd SIM.

think you need different emails,maybe im wrong.so some one else can confirm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,918 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Do I need a new email address?

I used the above for 3 different SIMs, 3 different passwords.
    Once you are paying money, why would you be suspended?
    I'm in charge of the kids phones, I pay, my email, my card. Shouldn't be an issue.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I'm in charge of the kids phones, I pay, my email, my card. Shouldn't be an issue.

I think they have rules that only allow one SIM per account and each account must have a unique email address.

Doesnt the method above work because they are both the same email address?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,918 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I think they have rules that only allow one SIM per account and each account must have a unique email address.

Doesnt the method above work because they are both the same email address?

Putting a . between letters does get around the 'unique' email address, I've ordered 3 SIMs that way, to the same home address and topped up by 7.99 3 times for 3 different phone numbers.
    Don't see why there should be an issue over an email address.

Don't know if it works with yahoo but definitely does with gmail email addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Don't know if it works with yahoo but definitely does with gmail email addresses.

Definitely does not work for yahoo...

my.name@yahoo.com and myname@yahoo.com are totally separate addresses.

Nothing stopping using any address as it's only used for SIM dispatch notification but it's just as easy to set up a new address with a service like protonmail etc.

The only potential issue is that they monitor IMEIs for recruit SIMs and could remove reward credit if linked SIMs are continually rotated in the same device. If they didn't have that restriction then someone could continually order recruit SIMs and get 2 free months credit for each monthly membership purchased....it'd be like the Cash for Ash scheme in NI.

Dont the recruit SIM have to actually top up by 7.99 first though. And couldn't you do the above anyway by simply having 3 different email addresses which isn't exactly hard to set up.

• Advertisement

Dont the recruit SIM have to actually top up by 7.99 first though.

Yes. Recruit SIMs can be ordered as often as you like (max 50 per month IIRC). Each time a new recruit SIM's first membership is bought then BOTH the recruit SIM AND 'parent' SIM get reward credit. So 2 free months for buying one membership.

Advertisement