Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

What he said .I bought new phone and I had to set up mobile banks,revolut,amazon,skrill etc.All codes/texts came in fine within seconds.Also speed has improved where I live compare to Vodafone so for 10euro thats the best deal you can get if you have good coverage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I have used at least half a dozen SMS based 2FA systems with them, between banking and other IT systems. Never any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Ordered a sim today. Seems like a really good deal plus it's pre-pay which means it's will stay €9.99.I was on the Go Mo €9.99 deal but every month there was hidden extra charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

castle2012 wrote: »
    Ordered a sim today. Seems like a really good deal plus it's pre-pay which means it's will stay €9.99.I was on the Go Mo €9.99 deal but every month there was hidden extra charges.

What hidden extra charge?

I was getting charged 30 cent for every mms, while I taught I was sending a text message. Apparently its common if your texting from android to iPhone.
    Also I was charged on a ferry for using data, That's the negative with a bill I suppose. I had taught it was capped at €9.99.
    Anyway I won't have to worry here as its pre-pay.
    Ordered a sim card, I'll let the board know how I get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭AhhHere

there's a connection fee of €12.99 too. So you're essentially paying twice the first month.

Really happy with 48. SIMs are free to order and I was able to test my connection with the free GB they offer. I've a dual sim phone and find it really handy to keep work/personal call seperate.

I was getting charged 30 cent for every mms, while I taught I was sending a text message. Apparently its common if your texting from android to iPhone.
    Also I was charged on a ferry for using data, That's the negative with a bill I suppose. I had taught it was capped at €9.99.

I think you are wrong there.
    Mms are still not included
    https://48.ie/charges/other-call-charges
    As its a prepay phone, it either won't go, or you end up in a neg balance, so it's hardly an unexpected charge. And as for the activation fee, that's just the current months bill as the sim is live on receipt.
    I have 5 of these sims and the only extras so far are International texts by granny.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭AhhHere

As its a prepay phone, it either won't go, or you end up in a neg balance, so it's hardly an unexpected charge. And as for the activation fee, that's just the current months bill as the sim is live on receipt.
    I have 5 of these sims and the only extras so far are International texts by granny.

Are you taking about gomo or 48? Because all texts are free with 48. Sorry not clear for me in you post

Well good for you. But think I'm right. I will only have to pay €9.99 with 48 as its credit not a bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Well good for you. But think I'm right. I will only have to pay €9.99 with 48 as its credit not a bill.

You'll have to buy extra credit if you want to use services outside what's covered for the tenner. Don't really see the difference.

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    You'll have to buy extra credit if you want to use services outside what's covered for the tenner. Don't really see the difference.

I won't have to buy any extra credit . I won't need to add credit as it won't send and then I can send a WhatsApp etc. It's a great deal 48. If you like Bill good for you. But €9.99 suits me and I'm sure many others on this board.

AhhHere wrote: »
    Are you taking about gomo or 48? Because all texts are free with 48. Sorry not clear for me in you post

mms is not classed as a text. It is extra services.

MMS is not included in either package. Gomo charges you for it, you need to check what 48 will do.

I won't have to buy any extra credit . I won't need to add credit as it won't send and then I can send a WhatsApp etc. It's a great deal 48. If you like Bill good for you. But €9.99 suits me and I'm sure many others on this board.

That sounds right. With gomo all irish calls and texts are included, but MMS is neither. If only I could get granny to stop texting international and use WhatsApp, I could save the 7 cent for each.

That sounds right. With gomo all irish calls and texts are included, but MMS is neither. If only I could get granny to stop texting international and use WhatsApp, I could save the 7 cent for each.

It's 30 cent per mms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭DopeTech

MMS are extra. Android by default changes group SMS to MMS even if it just text. This can be changed in the messages settings.

Maritime charges are charged across all networks too.

Look at this link

Look under premium services. 48 lists MMS as premium services so they are not in your 9.99 package.

You need to ask them if you are prepaid, what happens if you send one. You think you wont have to pay, if that is correct, fine, but chances are they wont allow you to send it.

When you sign up to a contract of 9.99 for data and calls and texts, you cannot complain if they charge you for extra services. Gomo allows you to send it, but charge you. You need to ask 48 what will they do. Don't think they wont charge you for out of package useage. They will find a way.

And it is not a hidden charge, it is in the terms and conditions you agreed to.

DopeTech wrote: »
    MMS are extra. Android by default changes group SMS to MMS even if it just text. This can be changed in the messages settings.

Maritime charges are charged across all networks too.

Maritime charges are across all networks. However if you have no credit you don't get service. If you are bill with Go Mo or any other network you will get a nasty large bill. 48 all the way for me, don't have to worry about that

Look at this link

Look under premium services. 48 lists MMS as premium services so they are not in your 9.99 package.

You need to ask them if you are prepaid, what happens if you send one. You think you wont have to pay, if that is correct, fine, but chances are they wont allow you to send it.

When you sign up to a contract of 9.99 for data and calls and texts, you cannot complain if they charge you for extra services. Gomo allows you to send it, but charge you. You need to ask 48 what will they do. Don't think they wont charge you for out of package useage. They will find a way.

And it is not a hidden charge, it is in the terms and conditions you agreed to.

It's 30c for mms.

It's 30c for mms.
    I know. 30c for MMS and Gomo charges me 7c for international texts.

I know. 30c for MMS and Gomo charges me 7c for international texts.

Granny needs to go.

• Advertisement

Granny needs to go.
    :) I wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Finally switched to 48 after having enough of Three. It's fine apart from one weird intermittent issue.

It occasionally refuses to send a text - but only to one particular number.
    Just gives a fairly generic "text couldn't be sent message".

I could be texting the same person back and forth fine, then all of a sudden it will refuse to send another text.
    A reboot seemed to fix it once, but that might have been coincidence as it didn't solve the issue another time.
    Seems to resolve itself after 30-40 minutes.

It's happened maybe three times so far. When it does, I can still text other numbers no problem, but any texts to that one number won't send. Recipient is on Eir.

Anyone had anything similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭DavidJC

MOH wrote: »
    Finally switched to 48 after having enough of Three. It's fine apart from one weird intermittent issue.

I could be texting the same person back and forth fine, then all of a sudden it will refuse to send another text.
    A reboot seemed to fix it once, but that might have been coincidence as it didn't solve the issue another time.

It's happened maybe three times so far. When it does, I can still text other numbers no problem, but any texts to that one number won't send. Recipient is on Eir.

Why did you leave Three? Is 48 not essentially sharing the same infrastructure as Three? I'm currently on Vodafone X but looking to jump ship as they are dropping Spotify and the speed to 10mbit soon. I have been getting over 160mbit on VF until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

MOH wrote: »

I had same issue.Got it sorted by deleting contact and make new with +353.......prefix.No hassle since

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I had same issue.Got it sorted by deleting contact and make new with +353.......prefix.No hassle since

Thanks, I'll check if the contact has the 353 prefix.
    DavidJC wrote: »
    Why did you leave Three? Is 48 not essentially sharing the same infrastructure as Three? I'm currently on Vodafone X but looking to jump ship as they are dropping Spotify and the speed to 10mbit soon. I have been getting over 160mbit on VF until now.

Mainly because my credit kept getting used up every month at the end of the prepaid period with no explanation of how. It's quite possible there was a legitimate reason, but they wouldn't give me charge details when I asked them.

I've an ongoing complaint where they've used multiple excuses to refuse to provide billing data (they don't have it / I'm no longer a customer / GDPR). I've asked a couple of times to have the complaint escalated in line with their code of practice and they haven't done so.

So next week it's a complaint to Comreg and a DSAR to Three's data protection team.

But yes, I think 48 should be the same infrastructure, but it's also 10/month vs 20/month on Three.

Gomo have just issued me a bill from the tenth of last month when I got the sim,but I didn't switch over till a few days ago.

That's the kind of tomfoolery that puts people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭wiz569

Gomo have just issued me a bill from the tenth of last month when I got the sim,but I didn't switch over till a few days ago.

That's the kind of tomfoolery that puts people off.

No you switched over when you ordered the sim, the sim is live when you get it with its own number.

wiz569 wrote: »
    No you switched over when you ordered the sim, the sim is live when you get it with its own number.

Yeah,I gathered. I naively assumed a bit of good faith in that I would be charged from the changeover date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

May be a silly question, with 48 using Three network, I wonder if a handset tied to Three will work with 48 sim plan ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

May be a silly question, with 48 using Three network, I wonder if a handset tied to Three will work with 48 sim plan ?

It doesn't, my 48 SIM wouldn't work in my 3 phone until I unlocked it

Advertisement