Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

How do I go about sending texts to numbers like 53104 which is Rte 2fm? Tried today and just kept failing. If I add credit will it work then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

How do I go about sending texts to numbers like 53104 which is Rte 2fm? Tried today and just kept failing. If I add credit will it work then?

51xxx and 53xxx shortcodes don't work on 48, adding credit won't make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

MuddyDog wrote: »
    Use WhatsApp,no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭DopeTech

blade1 wrote: »
    Use WhatsApp,no?

You can't whatsapp shortcode numbers though can you?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

MuddyDog wrote: »

By moving to a different network I’m afraid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Aquos76 wrote: »
    By moving to a different network I’m afraid

Who only has one phone?

;)

You can't whatsapp shortcode numbers though can you?

Most of the radio stations give out a WhatsApp number but they probably still use short codes for competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

AllForIt wrote: »
    I tried to download LEGAL software from a torrent site last night and my data connection stopped immediately. It came back in 20 minutes. I tried again later and the same thing happened again.

I have 2 48 sims and the other didn't disconnect at all. Which is very odd.

There may be some reason for this on my end rather than how it looks i.e. some kind of block on torrents, I haven't investigated it yet.

After you mentioned it, I tried torrents too and works fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

gooner99 wrote: »
    Can you have more than one 48.ie €7.99 SIM on the same credit card / account?

Yes, and be careful with that!

Do not turn on auto-renewal if you're planning to move your number.
    I would not even add a card to an account until your number is moved.
    And I would not buy a membership until you've moved your number.

I mentioned this couple of pages back but let me tell you what happened to me.

I got a 48 SIM, then after about a week and a half, I thought it worked OK so I decided to move my number.

I moved it, it completed quite quickly. Then I logged in and my membership as well as my bonus referral credit of €7.99 were gone.

I contacted their support and started explaining the situation. After a few days my membership was restored and so was my referral bonus, which was €8. I thought it being 8 was weird so I figured somebody typed it in manually.

Anyway, since I got a brand new membership, it showed that my plan was active from that day on for 30 days.

I'm thinking "great!", everything is fine!

Then the old date comes up in December, for the original membership and suddenly my card is charged!

I check my account and there is no sign of the membership being purchased. I contact the support and the pain begins... having to explain it to the first line support is so frustrating, because all they do is repeat the same thing.

I'm trying to explain what is going on and be as detailed as possible, I've got this problem, let's troubleshoot and solve it. And they're behaving like they're dealing with a hostage situation and they're repeating the same things. They keep telling me that there is nothing on my account... it's very frustrating and also very concerning when your card is being charged, yet they don't know or have a record of it.

The support person asked to leave it with them. I'm like "OK". A few days go by, nothing.

Then I write to them again. Send screenshots, etc.

After a few days I notice that there is a membership pending on my account. I contact the support and they tell me that they've added that one membership that I got charged for to my account and they've "remedied the issue".

What I think happened is that when my number got moved, they created a new account and the old (original 48 number) account stayed there with the card being set to auto-renewal. They either forgot and/or don't have a procedure to clean up old accounts (speaking from experience, in this sized companies, it's usually couple of guys in support (usually juniors) and it's a very manual, undocumented process). So it was still charging.

I don't know if they've actually fixed the auto-renewal issue, I hope they did.

It's gets frustrating when you can't talk to people who are in the background, who have access to the database and code, who could understand you instantly.

Also them telling me they don't know why am I getting charged and there is no history of it at all (well, yea, there won't be one on this new account, what about the old one?) was very concerning. This was the first line support though.

48 could get into trouble with GDPR and PSD2 regulations if they're not properly handling user data.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

Random issue - Speedtest app isn’t working when using mobile data. Works fine on WiFi. Any reason for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

glack wrote: »
    Random issue - Speedtest app isn’t working when using mobile data. Works fine on WiFi. Any reason for this?

Works for me, just tried it: 24ms ping and 32.39 Mbps rural.

Perhaps try a different browser.

On Wifi it's 13ms and 87.83 Mbps

App or website or both?

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

Ten Pin wrote: »
    App or website or both?

The app. I’ve tried deleting and re installing. Must delete now and try the website and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭CorEire

Is there any equivalent to the Eir call catcher on 48?
    Figured out how to turn on call waiting earlier but the missed call texts were handy when in bad signal areas etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭DopeTech

If anyone has used my links and bought a membership in the last few weeks could you please send me a pm? I can see a few pending referrals but I'm pessimistic that any of them haven't moved to successful yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭briancannon18

DopeTech wrote: »
    If anyone has used my links and bought a membership in the last few weeks could you please send me a pm? I can see a few pending referrals but I'm pessimistic that any of them haven't moved to successful yet.

Had a friend referred early November, all criteria met and it still saying pending since 24 November, even ticket raised, still nothing, 2 others also pending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

I’ve had 3 recruits that neither they nor I got our credit. I’ve been onto them 6 times over the course of a month. Finally on chat Thursday I lost it. My patience had ran out. Threatened them with ComReg and emailed in a data access request to be sent the chat logs which never arrived when I requested during chats. Within 24hrs I git an email saying “oh it looks like you never received your credit so send us your recruitees details and we will credit them and you.
    It was a titan farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

jarvis wrote: »
    I’ve had 3 recruits that neither they nor I got our credit. I’ve been onto them 6 times over the course of a month. Finally on chat Thursday I lost it. My patience had ran out. Threatened them with ComReg and emailed in a data access request to be sent the chat logs which never arrived when I requested during chats. Within 24hrs I git an email saying “oh it looks like you never received your credit so send us your recruitees details and we will credit them and you.
    It was a titan farce.

I've tried 3 times over the last 3 weeks for my recruitee month and credit and been assured each time that it was being 'looked into'. They keep kicking the can with a 7-10 day wait, despite showing them copies of the previous webchats showing I've been waiting 3 weeks+.

I was going to let it go, but might as well keep trying and I'll do the same as you re Comreg the next time.

I'd be interested to know if anyone is receiving recruiter credit at all in the last few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭briancannon18

RoYoBo wrote: »
    I've tried 3 times over the last 3 weeks for my recruitee month and credit and been assured each time that it was being 'looked into'. They keep kicking the can with a 7-10 day wait, despite showing them copies of the previous webchats showing I've been waiting 3 weeks+.

I was going to let it go, but might as well keep trying and I'll do the same as you re Comreg the next time.

I'd be interested to know if anyone is receiving recruiter credit at all in the last few weeks?

I wouldn't hold my breath, I'm waiting since early November, and onto them 3 times now and still nothing despite their promises it would be sorted . Lack of action to sort it,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭beachhead

RoYoBo wrote: »

Not receiving recruit credit either>i was told weeks ago that I did not follow the "correct procedure" and that webchat cannot override this.After weeks(back in October)all I get is refusals to credit then one recruitee got an email saying credit added to their account but there is no credit in their account.Amateurs and jokers on webchat.

• Advertisement

beachhead wrote: »
    Not receiving recruit credit either>i was told weeks ago that I did not follow the "correct procedure" and that webchat cannot override this.After weeks(back in October)all I get is refusals to credit then one recruitee got an email saying credit added to their account but there is no credit in their account.Amateurs and jokers on webchat.

I would keep on at them indefintely even if it gets nowhere.
    Has anyone noticed the "contract" you have to click on to renew membership this month? Also,I have to change my password on every 3rd attempt to log into my account.

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Yes, and be careful with that!

Do not turn on auto-renewal if you're planning to move your number.
    I would not even add a card to an account until your number is moved.
    And I would not buy a membership until you've moved your number.

I mentioned this couple of pages back but let me tell you what happened to me.

I got a 48 SIM, then after about a week and a half, I thought it worked OK so I decided to move my number.

I moved it, it completed quite quickly. Then I logged in and my membership as well as my bonus referral credit of €7.99 were gone.

I contacted their support and started explaining the situation. After a few days my membership was restored and so was my referral bonus, which was €8. I thought it being 8 was weird so I figured somebody typed it in manually.

Anyway, since I got a brand new membership, it showed that my plan was active from that day on for 30 days.

I'm thinking "great!", everything is fine!

Then the old date comes up in December, for the original membership and suddenly my card is charged!

I check my account and there is no sign of the membership being purchased. I contact the support and the pain begins... having to explain it to the first line support is so frustrating, because all they do is repeat the same thing.

I'm trying to explain what is going on and be as detailed as possible, I've got this problem, let's troubleshoot and solve it. And they're behaving like they're dealing with a hostage situation and they're repeating the same things. They keep telling me that there is nothing on my account... it's very frustrating and also very concerning when your card is being charged, yet they don't know or have a record of it.

The support person asked to leave it with them. I'm like "OK". A few days go by, nothing.

Then I write to them again. Send screenshots, etc.

After a few days I notice that there is a membership pending on my account. I contact the support and they tell me that they've added that one membership that I got charged for to my account and they've "remedied the issue".

What I think happened is that when my number got moved, they created a new account and the old (original 48 number) account stayed there with the card being set to auto-renewal. They either forgot and/or don't have a procedure to clean up old accounts (speaking from experience, in this sized companies, it's usually couple of guys in support (usually juniors) and it's a very manual, undocumented process). So it was still charging.

I don't know if they've actually fixed the auto-renewal issue, I hope they did.

It's gets frustrating when you can't talk to people who are in the background, who have access to the database and code, who could understand you instantly.

Also them telling me they don't know why am I getting charged and there is no history of it at all (well, yea, there won't be one on this new account, what about the old one?) was very concerning. This was the first line support though.

48 could get into trouble with GDPR and PSD2 regulations if they're not properly handling user data.
    48 webchat are amateurs.Someone paid for 2 months in row on my account.When I asked them about it-first month and 2nd month I was told no issue everything is ok from our end.I wrote to the 48 address in Limerick.It seems to have stopped now as I had to pay with my own card this month.I waited a day to see if other card would pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

so what do you do if you run out of data before your next top up date? Do you have to buy a data add-on or can you just top up 7.99 early so to speak?

so what do you do if you run out of data before your next top up date? Do you have to buy a data add-on or can you just top up 7.99 early so to speak?

300 minutes can be swapped for an extra 3GB

After that, add on purchase is required.

Buying a new membership early won't be of any benefit as it will only begin when current membership duration ends...regardless of when allowances run out.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    300 minutes can be swapped for an extra 3GB

After that, add on purchase is required.

Buying a new membership early won't be of any benefit as it will only begin when current membership duration ends...regardless of when allowances run out.

Thanks. I had a look at the website and saw the section for this since.

But I though I had unlimited minutes? So it wouldn't cost me anything to give up minutes for 3GB max. edit: I see now I can do this once per membership so I suppose you really get 103GB in total and if I want more I have to add credit for another 3GB.

The other option is to get another SIM and use them in rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Daibheid

4 years with 48 but time to move on ...
    After a few months of good times, data speeds appear to fall off a cliff at peak times - at least around Cork city even though the 4G signal is constant. I can get 60+ Mbps Download and 25Mbps upload off peak. Butt in the evening it becomes erratic with DL dropping in to very low single figures, as low as 0.81 recently. Spotify goes into offline mode and you can forget about Netflix.

I’ve had a number of extended sessions with support who have suggested all the usual, reboot, reinsert SIM and reboot, new APNs, different unlocked device, etc all to no avail. They eventually quoted Terms and Conditions specifying max figures of 8-10 Mbps. They were reluctant to specify minimum service speeds for DL/UL but promised to email them on. They haven’t done so.
    I’m also not getting transcripts of exchanges with support even after telling them and asking them to manually send if necessary.
    I did find that the online 48 tweaker which sends APNs specific to phone models uses different setting to those specified by support. The support option seemed to work better .
    However, data speeds still collapse late evening around 8-10 o’clock and it’s pretty clear they are oversubscribed as I see bizarre results of DL down to 1-2 Mbps while UL is 10-15! That suggests it’s not speed but bandwidth.

GoMo are much slower at 10-18 DLmax but a lot more consistent so it looks like 48 are victims of their own success with grabbing market share but offer unusable data at peak times.

Some agents are better than others, like one insisted I delete all my APNs even though I told him that would kill my internet and our chat. It did, which got him out of a painful session but left me hanging with no data and no transcript of our exchange.
    (Reset to default APN will get you going again)
    The best APN settings I've established are currently:

Name - 48 Internet

APN -

48months.liffeytelecom.com

Proxy - Not set

Port - Not set

Username - user

Password - Not set

Server - Not set

MMSC -

http://mmc1/servlets/mms

MMS proxy - 10.1.11.19

MMS port 8080

MCC - 272

MNC - 11

Authentication type - PAP

APN type - default, supl, mms

The dip in service in the evening is due to load - i.e the number of people using the service at the same time. This will apply no matter what newtwork you're with.

There is no such thing as a best APN. Either the APN works or it doesn't. If there is no username and login required just 48months.liffeytelecom.com will be enough to connect. The MCC and MNC come off your SIM card automatically.

Incidentally the only problem I am having is that my signal completely disconnects at times, and I mean no signal at all but it's usually only momentarily. It has happened a handful of times in the 3 or weeks I'm been using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Have 48 removed tethering? I can’t find the option on my iPhone at all anymore.

• Advertisement

Incidentally the only problem I am having is that my signal completely disconnects at times, and I mean no signal at all but it's usually only momentarily. It has happened a handful of times in the 3 or weeks I'm been using it.

Had similar issue, turned Data Roaming off and didn't notice any signal dropout since. YMMV

Advertisement