Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

orm0nd wrote: »
    What apn is your phone on?

Mine goes by default to Tescomobile.

I find by changing it to 48months.liffeytelecom.com I get better coverage

Having said that I find coverage to be poor in some places you'd expect better.

Got en email the engineers were able to fix it, now I have 4G

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Dymo wrote: »
    Got en email the engineers were able to fix it, now I have 4G
    So was this a mast issue??

august12 wrote: »
    So was this a mast issue??

Didn't say just that I should have 4G now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

The last 2 days I can't access the app. It just says server error? Any one else get that? My credit went 2 days as well, maybe it's just a coincidence. I'm lucky enough to be at home with WiFi and just noticed it was gone, trying to figure out how to top up now?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jimmy86

rizzee wrote: »
    The last 2 days I can't access the app. It just says server error? Any one else get that? My credit went 2 days as well, maybe it's just a coincidence. I'm lucky enough to be at home with WiFi and just noticed it was gone, trying to figure out how to top up now?

Checked my app and it's working fine. Have you tried topping up via the website?

• Advertisement

jimmy86 wrote: »
    Checked my app and it's working fine. Have you tried topping up via the website?

I'll give it a bash Jimmy, cheers. If that's the issue, then I must stick on the auto renew membership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

sorry but i dont see this as a bargain, GOMO is unlimited everything and only a few quid more.

jonnny68 wrote: »
    sorry but i dont see this as a bargain, GOMO is unlimited everything and only a few quid more.

Gomo you're stuck with sh!tty Eir who I wouldn't go near if they paid me. The signal is worse in my area with them (family member is on with them), they have your account details so sometimes can get unexpected out of bundle charges. I don't need all the minutes. 20-30gb is fine for me. 48 does the job for me. But if it works for others in their area and they needed the extra minutes then sure, Gomo would be the better deal.

1. Not everyone has good coverage on the Eir network, good to have another option on the Three infrastructure.
    2. 48 have better customer service
    3. You can donate unused data to help provide food for the homeless
    4. For a lot of users, the minutes/data etc is more than enough, why pay extra for someone you don't need?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Switched over from Vodafone this morning, was painless. I was previously on the €20 VF X Spotify deal, where Spotify was initially included, then cost a 5er extra and was then stopped completely along with VF restricting download speeds to 10Mbps.

Very happy with 48 so far. Great coverage at work and at home and no noticeable difference with speeds vs VF (current data speed with 48 is 45mbps down and 6mbps up according to fast.com) which is great considering I'm paying 50% less than I was with VF.

Like mentioned above, I didn't want to give bank/payment details to GoMo as I heard eir are crap to try and cancel with or resolve billing issues etc. Much happier with no strings attached service from 48.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

1. Not everyone has good coverage on the Eir network, good to have another option on the Three infrastructure.
    4. For a lot of users, the minutes/data etc is more than enough, why pay extra for someone you don't need?
    For me the risk with Gomo is been on bill. I much prefer prepay. Also Lyca have €10 deal (one year only) for new customers both working off the 3 network.

1: How do you know that Three have better coverage than Eir?
    2: How do you know this have you been with both networks, both are online anyway are they not?
    3: Never heard of this, id be very sceptical of this personally
    4: Minutes might be but 20GB of data thesedays doesn't go far.

that 48 TV advert alone would put me off, "questioning things is good" , what the hell has that got to do with a mobile phone network, sounds like millennial snowflakes who are offended by everything.:rolleyes:

castle2012 wrote: »
    For me the risk with Gomo is been on bill. I much prefer prepay. Also Lyca have €10 deal (one year only) for new customers both working off the 3 network.

hardly a bill as such, its a 30 day contract ,your not tied into a long contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Switched over from Vodafone this morning, was painless. I was previously on the €20 VF X Spotify deal, where Spotify was initially included, then cost a 5er extra and was then stopped completely along with VF restricting download speeds to 10Mbps.

Very happy with 48 so far. Great coverage at work and at home and no noticeable difference with speeds vs VF (current data speed with 48 is 45mbps down and 6mbps up according to fast.com) which is great considering I'm paying 50% less than I was with VF.

Like mentioned above, I didn't want to give bank/payment details to GoMo as I heard eir are crap to try and cancel with or resolve billing issues etc. Much happier with no strings attached service from 48.
    My experience is the same. I was on the same plan as you. Was with VF for donkeys years.
    Switching was very easy and up and running very quickly. 50 per cent saving is a no brainer. Don't want a bill either.
    Will probably get Spotify Duo with my wife as she now uses Spotify a fair bit and I have used it for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

castle2012 wrote: »
    For me the risk with Gomo is been on bill. I much prefer prepay.

Fair enough and bill pay is not for everyone but worth mentioning the GoMo have an out of bundle cap of €30 per month so the bill pay shock risk is controlled.

2: How do you know this have you been with both networks, both are online anyway are they not?

that 48 TV advert alone would put me off, "questioning things is good" , what the hell has that got to do with a mobile phone network, sounds like millennial snowflakes who are offended by everything.:rolleyes:

1. Never said they had better coverage, some might have better coverage in their specific area
    2. I'm not on the Gomo network, but I set it up for my parents, waiting hours for webchat replies
    3.You donate your spare gb through the app, 50c per GB.
    4. 20gb more than enough for a lot of people, wifi at home and at work.

Bottom line is it may not be a bargain for you, but it certainly is for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

You seem overly invested in this issue. Perhaps go for a walk and leave your GOMO-networked phone at home might help.

I usually put 5gb out of the 40gb in the safe when I top up. If I want to switcher to the 20gb plan (€10) from the 40gb plan (€15) just for a month, i assume there would be no issues accessing the data ived saved up in the safe?

I think that would be pretty good if you could do say 2/3 months on €15 a month getting 35gb (saving 5gb) then get a month for a tenner and still having 30-35gb to use.

Being quite frugal lately!!

My experience is the same. I was on the same plan as you. Was with VF for donkeys years.
    Switching was very easy and up and running very quickly. 50 per cent saving is a no brainer. Don't want a bill either.
    Will probably get Spotify Duo with my wife as she now uses Spotify a fair bit and I have used it for years.

I got 3 months of Deezer for 9.99 as well with money saved from VF this month. App is not quite as good as Spotify and its Alexa results on my echo aren't as accurate as Spotify for less well known musicians, but good value all the same.

Still having issues topping up. Server timeout message on the app. Log in via browser, top up, money taken from account and nothing... Waited over 2 hours after topping up yesterday evening before reverting the payment via revolut (did this twice). Will see if CS can help today.

• Advertisement

Have you added that card to account on website before trying to top up? maybe it's a revolut issue. Worth a try with a regular bank debit/credit and see if any change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭the hedgeman

The reception in my part of north Kerry from 48 has been terrible the last week,from no signal then E,then H and H+ and maybe 4g sporidicaly,while before this,it was consistently 4g which was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭PopTarts

When you receive your sim to test the network out, does a number come with it?

I don’t see it in my pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

PopTarts wrote: »
    When you receive your sim to test the network out, does a number come with it?

I don’t see it in my pack.
    Nope. You need to register the sim with 48 to get the number.

I was with Three for years and I always thought the service was a bit patchy and I presumed moving to 48.ie it wasn't going to improve as they're on the same network.

My comparison test of the network was going on the train to Dublin, when I was with Three it was constantly dropping but last week was the first time I got to use the train in months since switching and the 48.ie signal never dropped once (not 4G all of the time)

I was just streaming radio stations nothing too heavy.

I've found the customer service to be very good, eventually they will fix things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭PopTarts

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Nope. You need to register the sim with 48 to get the number.

Thanks. Does this tie you into a contract?

I’d like to test it out for a couple of weeks before deciding on switching over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Thanks. Does this tie you into a contract?

I’d like to test it out for a couple of weeks before deciding on switching over.

You can try out the 1GB free data for a week without paying a penny. After that then it's pay as you go which is absolutely no commitment except for the amount of top up, you can skip a month if you like. Or if it's not up to expectations then no need to do anything...put the SIM in a drawer and forget about it. There's no monthly bill and you can choose to port your existing number at any time or use the number provided at activation.

Just to clarify....the SIM needs to be activated. Registering an account was required to order the SIM initially....no need to repeat that...just log in and go to activation option.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Ten Pin wrote: »
    You can try out the 1GB free data for a week without paying a penny. After that then it's pay as you go which is absolutely no commitment except for the amount of top up, you can skip a month if you like. Or if it's not up to expectations then no need to do anything...put the SIM in a drawer and forget about it. There's no monthly bill and you can choose to port your existing number at any time or use the number provided at activation.

Just to clarify....the SIM needs to be activated. Registering an account was required to order the SIM initially....no need to repeat that...just log in and go to activation option.

the trial period is a week but a tenner is not exactly big money for 5 weeks usage if you add in the free week and pay for a month. I used the free week and ported my own number over a few days after the trial ended. I had no issues and found it very straightforward, was able to do the whole thing myself via the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭the hedgeman

The reception in my part of north Kerry from 48 has been terrible the last week,from no signal then E,then H and H+ and maybe 4g sporidicaly,while before this,it was consistently 4g which was excellent.

It has improved dramiticaly this evening so must've been a mast problem that is/currently being sorted,4g fully back on my phone now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Just got email that 48.ie is going to change 9.99 and 14.99 plans.They double the data and make calls and texts "unlimited" (limited to 10k each ) :).
    My current plan expires on sunday, right on time :)

Advertisement