Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Ten Pin wrote: »
    There is no speed cap, some folks are confusing actual achievable speeds (that depend on coverage and congestion) with the network's published contractual speed...the networks are obliged to provide indicative speeds to comply with regulations but it's virtually meaningless on mobile networks.

Ah right, I thought I read it somewhere. Must be mistaken.

Set APN as....

48months.liffeytelecom.com

Thanks, no my data is working, i just want to test the wap service I installed on my phone to see if it's working.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dannijuno

AllForIt wrote: »
    Ah right, I thought I read it somewhere. Must be mistaken.
    There is no speed cap, some folks are confusing actual achievable speeds (that depend on coverage and congestion) with the network's published contractual speed...the networks are obliged to provide indicative speeds to comply with regulations but it's virtually meaningless on mobile networks.

Its in their terms and conditions, 4G speed is limited to 10mbps. They are gone to the dogs with network contention, too many people are on it. Best download speed I'm getting is 3-4mbps at peak times which is brutal. I used to get 30mbps before they brought in the new 7.99 deal, they capped it due to contention as its an MVNO network (Mobile virtual network operator)

https://48.ie/legal/terms-and-conditions ( scroll down to the bottom of their page , point 29 "Mobile Network Speeds" )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

i just want to test the wap service I installed on my phone to see if it's working.

Not sure what exactly that refers to....WAP was the technology used for mobile internet before smartphones...it's more or less obsolete.

What is it's intended use?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

dannijuno wrote: »
    Its in their terms and conditions, 4G speed is limited to 10mbps.

https://48.ie/legal/terms-and-conditions ( scroll down to the bottom of their page , point 29 "Mobile Network Speeds" )

I think those are just legally mandated minimum speeds that they need to achieve once in 24 hours rather than a cap that they have put in place.

I think those are just legally mandated minimum speeds that they need to achieve once in 24 hours rather than a cap that they have put in place.

It's even more pointless than that...it's an "Estimated max download speed achievable at least once in any 24 hour period"

IME switching to 3G only mode can improve speeds as most people have 4G on by default resulting in congested 4G while 3G is less busy.

• Advertisement

Not sure what exactly that refers to....WAP was the technology used for mobile internet before smartphones...it's more or less obsolete.

What is it's intended use?

Sorry it's a bit off topic. A lot actually.

But since you asked ...

I have a Korean varient of a phone that software wise is constucted to be used with only one korean carrier. So when settings are sent via sms from a non-korean carrier the settings won't install becaue the software that installs the settings sent via sms doesn't exist on the phone.

So I took the software from a phone has this software, a US varient of the same phone, and installed in on the Korean phone. And I just want to check if it's working properly because I'm going to upload this for others to use.

The softrware is called WAP service. Whether this has someting to do with the WAP of old I don't know.

air wrote: »

The Estimated max. (download) speed based on the Contractual Estimated Maximum Upload and Download Speeds agreement is 10mbps (4G)

Its in their terms and conditions, 4G speed is limited to 10mbps. They are gone to the dogs with network contention, too many people are on it. Best download speed I'm getting is 3-4mbps at peak times which is brutal. I used to get 30mbps before they brought in the new 7.99 deal, they capped it due to contention as its an MVNO network (Mobile virtual network operator)

Ah yes thanks, I knew I read that somewhere but couldn't recall where.

Don't anyone think I'm getting 80Mbpm regularly, that speed test link I posted earler was done at 5am !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I'm on their 7.99 plan and mine aren't limited like that. I get the same speeds as I do on my work sim from 3. 48 is actually better than 3 right now. Perhaps more 3 customers connected to the same cell tower.

48: https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/7334778539

3: https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/7334785756

DopeTech wrote: »
    I'm on their 7.99 plan and mine aren't limited like that. I get the same speeds as I do on my work sim from 3. 48 is actually better than 3 right now. Perhaps more 3 customers connected to the same cell tower.

I'd never get anything like that daytime on either network.

So does 48 use the vodafone network as well as 3?

• Advertisement

AllForIt wrote: »
    I'd never get anything like that daytime on either network.

So does 48 use the vodafone network as well as 3?

No 48 only runs on the 3 network. Vodafone is mentioned in that result as it was a vodafone data center that the speed test was carried out between. It will always try and pick the closest/fastest/best one to you.

So I took the software from a phone has this software, a US varient of the same phone, and installed in on the Korean phone. And I just want to check if it's working properly because I'm going to upload this for others to use.

IIUC you want to trigger an incoming configuration SMS?

There's a site for requesting phone settings.... BUT, it's NOT a secure site and requires entering a phone number to receive the SMS.

http://48months.tweakker.com/choose

AFAIK, settings sent via SMS is superceded by the ability for users to manually enter APNs and other settings.

DopeTech wrote: »

That's insane!!!! What part of the country are you in may I ask ?

That's insane!!!! What part of the country are you in may I ask ?

Kildare. There is a mast about 200m from my house though so there is that. My speeds were never capped.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

Has anyone traveled outside of Ireland recently with a 48 subscription and Android?

I was in The Netherlands for about 2 days in March, and wasn't able to get any working data connection during my time there. I briefly chatted with the online chat service on 48.ie, who gave me the following roaming details -
    1: Settings > Connections > Mobile networks
    2: mobile data
    3: Access point names , delete the existing APN and
    4: Click on add
    5: Then make the following changes
    -Name — 48 Internet
    -APN — 48months.liffeytelecom.com
    -Proxy — Not set
    -Port — Not set
    -Username — user
    -Password — Not set
    -Server - Not set
    -MMSC - http://mmc1/servlets/mms
    -MMS proxy - 10.1.11.19
    -MMS port - 8080
    -MCC - 272
    -MNC - 11
    -Authentication type - PAP
    -APN type - default, supl, mms
    6: After that click on Save and disable your mobile data and enable it again
    Although adding the above details in my phone, it didn't change anything for my internet connection. In the end I gave up and got by easily through readily available wifi - but I was wondering if more people have come across issues like this?

Probably most people stayed in country over the last year - hopefully everyone will be able to travel later this year, so I'm curious if anyone else experienced this and on how to fix this. As I'm now in Ireland I can't replicate the issues from before, but it would be good to get this in order for a next trip.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Anyone here manage to setup voicemail lately? I moved to 48 in October/November last year and never really paid attention to the fact voicemail wasn't automatically on like with other networks also only setup hotspot the other day...get what you pay for I guess with having to manually set these things up :D

Bit of a pain over the last few days trying to setup voicemail as per online instructions and keep getting errors. :(

edit: I did also move my SIM to an android phone to see if it was an iPhone issue and had same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

I signed up and paid for membership with 48 and ported my number over to them but...

48 sent msg saying " Liking 48? Your free GB will run out on Fri 14th at 11:59pm. Get on a membership to keep enjoying being on a new kind of mobile network. <Opt out in My48> www.48.ie/my48/settings#permissions "

I then Went into account and it says 101gb in account and will be renewed in June. Confused about this membership they are on on about.

Could anyone help. Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gav_96

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    I signed up and paid for membership with 48 and ported my number over to them but...

48 sent msg saying " Liking 48? Your free GB will run out on Fri 14th at 11:59pm. Get on a membership to keep enjoying being on a new kind of mobile network. <Opt out in My48> www.48.ie/my48/settings#permissions "

I then Went into account and it says 101gb in account and will be renewed in June. Confused about this membership they are on on about.

Could anyone help. Many thanks.
    you get one gig free when you sign up and that's ran out. I'd say its automatic and didn't notice you have a membership. never had an issue and got it the week it opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

The Estimated max. (download) speed based on the Contractual Estimated Maximum Upload and Download Speeds agreement is 10mbps (4G)

Keep reading a few paragraphs further..
    If the Contractual Estimated Maximum Upload and Download Speeds have not been made available to you for five consecutive days by reference to a monitoring mechanism certified by the Commission for Communications Regulation (ComReg) (a "continuous or regularly recurring discrepancy"), at a location where you typically use 48 services, you must contact our Customer Care team within 30 days of the issue arising in order to enable 48 to investigate and attempt to remedy

If it is limited to 10 as you say, how am I getting 48 down, and 5.6 up instead of the advertised 2.8.

Even the next line from that table:
    The average maximum download speed achieved by 48 customers on our 4G network over any 24 hour period is 21.6Mbps.

Keep reading a few paragraphs further..

If it is limited to 10 as you say, how am I getting 48 down, and 5.6 up instead of the advertised 2.8.

Even the next line from that table:
    The average maximum download speed achieved by 48 customers on our 4G network over any 24 hour period is 21.6Mbps.

I don't know dude, I cant get anything more than 10 and neither can anyone I know. Unless its capped to people who joined at a certain time as part of the new contracts , I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭gussieg

got an email to say my membership had run out and that i had only 90 days to renew it , not the 6 months that i thought at first. its ok as i renew more often but just a headsup in case you had thought you had more time to renew it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Junglejoe

If you run out of data/calls can you start the next month early or do you have to buy add-ons ?

How does that work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭gussieg

i think if you get on to CS they can rejig your monthly start date and you can restart a new month, or on the membership page there is an option to buy a few addons

got an email to say my membership had run out and that i had only 90 days to renew it , not the 6 months that i thought at first. its ok as i renew more often but just a headsup in case you had thought you had more time to renew it.

What do they say happens after 90 days?

Terms say 6 months (section 7)...
    https://48.ie/legal/terms-and-conditions#7

FAQs also say 6 months...
    What if I don’t buy membership every month will I lose the 7.99 offer?
    No we don’t roll like that, if you fancy a break from buying membership then you're free to take one. However if you don’t add membership for 6 months consecutively then you are at risk of your account going into suspension and after a further 6 months of inactivity the account will be deactivated due to non-use.
    https://community.48.ie/t5/The-Knowledgebase/All-you-need-to-know-about-our-7-99-Promo-Offer/ta-p/53417

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

On IPhone can’t get Messages to work with my phone number. Will work with my Apple ID email not my phone number. Any suggestions? Have 48 credit so that’s not the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

3/4G down for people in cork this morning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 moff13

Yes I have no data Clare/Tipp area ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Same in Dublin must be country wide

3 and presumably all the mnvos on 3 went down around 9 this morning for a few minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Qprmeath wrote: »
    On IPhone can’t get Messages to work with my phone number. Will work with my Apple ID email not my phone number. Any suggestions? Have 48 credit so that’s not the issue.

Anyone ever solve this? I’ve tried any suggestions I can find on the 48 community

Advertisement