Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who thinks Trump will win?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

if he's afraid of Trump's unactive covid he has no business being president.

What exactly is unactive covid, and how can you tell thats what Trump has?

Because it looks pretty active to me with the lung involvement, supplementary oxygen and strongest steroids known to man.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

From my point of you I want Biden to win. I work for the US department of energy on a project which aims to convert plastic and other waste to oil and gas. I do this in the national renewable energy lab and Los Alamos National lab.

For the renewable energy lab Trump wanted to cut the budget by 80%. We argued back that we could live with 50% but congress actually only insisted on 20%. One of the directors of the institute met Trump who he described as having a child like vulnerability and an arrogance matched only by his lack of understanding.

I don't know if he'll win or not. It's not as clean-cut as some people think but I think his supporters are really the dregs of society. A win from him will embolden them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,606 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Trump's correct, you can't have a debate over zoom, he's correct to not play along with bunker Joe, if he's afraid of Trump's unactive covid he has no business being president.

Nonsense. Presidential debates would be fine over zoom.

Remember, this is the format (been run this way for decades):
    You get asked a question. You answer. Your opponent to comment on your question. You get to rebut. Then the opponent gets the question.

Best part is, you can mute one of them while the other is speaking.

#IMPOTUS is against this because he can't answer questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

If only Trump adhered to the rules of only speaking when it is your time to do so, then there'd be no need to cut him off.

This kind of tactic goes back to Issac Butt's time. Essentially waffling as an obstructionist method.

If and when there is another debate between the two Pres candidates (or anyone really) there needs to be a certain amount of time allotted to each person to tackle the question and after that, the mic is cut, so they can't interrupt.

At least then, there won't be a repeat of Trump's farcical nonsense in the first round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I don't know if he'll win or not. It's not as clean-cut as some people think but I think his supporters are really the dregs of society. A win from him will embolden them.

Part of the problem is they are not the dregs of society, unless you meant it metaphorically. I remember hearing David McWilliams saying he was in Cape Cod in some upmarket restaurant and got talking to locals who he assumed would be anti-Trump. Far from it.

• Advertisement

bullpost wrote: »
    Part of the problem is they are not the dregs of society, unless you meant it metaphorically. I remember hearing David McWilliams saying he was in Cape Cod in some upmarket restaurant and got talking to locals who he assumed would be anti-Trump. Far from it.

That was 2016.

Today might be very different. A lot of people have had the scales fall from their eyes regarding Trump and his spoofery. Spoofery which can't rely on to fool voters this time around.

There were plenty of floating voters who believed his shite about "tackling Wall Street" and "draining the swamp". But El Trumpo can't use those lies again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

We've witnessed it plenty of time on RTE over the course of this pandemic, they get in the experts via video link then don't listen to them, cutting them off on good points to sway back to the Irish fear mongers, some disgraceful behavior going on.
    Trump's correct, you can't have a debate over zoom, he's correct to not play along with bunker Joe, if he's afraid of Trump's unactive covid he has no business being president.

So they use the same tactics that Trump does when he is in the room during debates? :rolleyes:

It is pretty obvious that Trump is either too frail to debate or doesn't want to have a debate in a format where the rules he has agreed to can be enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Tony EH wrote: »
    That was 2016.

Today might be very different. A lot of people have had the scales fall from their eyes regarding Trump and his spoofery. Spoofery which can't rely on to fool voters this time around.

There were plenty of floating voters who believed his shite about "tackling Wall Street" and "draining the swamp". But El Trumpo can't use those lies again.

I agree that much of that support has fallen away, as we can see his numbers crater in the suburbs. There is however still an element of the generationally wealthy that continue to support him because they believe it is good for their self-interests, namely lower taxes, and don't give a damn about anything or anyone else. Those would be the exact people hanging around in Cape Cod.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I agree that much of that support has fallen away, as we can see his numbers crater in the suburbs. There is however still an element of the generationally wealthy that continue to support him because they believe it is good for their self-interests, namely lower taxes, and don't give a damn about anything or anyone else. Those would be the exact people hanging around in Cape Cod.

Perhaps and yes, there's a cohort of the wealthy who'll support him just for the tax breaks, like millionaire jet owners who got a nice break in jet fuel four years ago.

So much for the people in the Rustbelt, who still live like shit.

The point is, however, is that Trump cannot use the same lies as he used in 2016 and that will have an effect across the board. It might not have a big enough effect to the point that he loses, mind you. There are still plenty of dull minded cretins out there that will support him no matter what, even if it's a vote against their best interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,735 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If only Trump adhered to the rules of only speaking when it is your time to do so, then there'd be no need to cut him off.

But he can't of course as we saw last week with himself and last night with Pence.

P.S. Wasn't Trump the one who ran to the bunker in the White House before emerging to gas citizens exercising their first amendment rights for a photo op?

For a Trump supporter up is down, downplayed is upplayed, worst in the world is best in the world, US paying is Mexico paying.

I'm sure he'll be claiming to have the most treeemendous trade deficit with China next. It's funny as other world leaders all know they just have to play to his preening narcissism and they can get the US to do whatever they want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Trump's correct, you can't have a debate over zoom,

Senator John F. Kennedy and Vice President Richard M. Nixon Third Joint Radio-Television Broadcast, October 13, 1960
    Good evening. I'm Bill Shadel of ABC News.

It's my privilege this evening to preside at this, the third in the series of meetings on radio and television, of the two major presidential candidates. Now, like the last meeting, the subjects to be discussed will be suggested by questions from a panel of correspondents.

Unlike the first two programs, however, the two candidates will not be sharing the same platform.

In New York, the Democratic presidential nominee, Senator John F. Kennedy. Separated by 3,000 miles in a Los Angeles studio, the Republican presidential nominee, Vice President Richard M. Nixon, now joined for tonight's discussion by a network of electronic facilities which permits each candidate to see and hear the other.

https://www.jfklibrary.org/archives/other-resources/john-f-kennedy-speeches/3rd-nixon-kennedy-debate-19601013

bullpost wrote: »

I think you were right just before Trump got elected. This time around we've seen Trump lie repeatedly, brag about sexual assault, link videos of people shouting white power and turning the corona crisis pandemic into a travesty. I know Trump supporters and a lot of them are moderate people. All these events have served to weed out the moderates. I mean look at all the republican politicians who won't vote for him now. I really think we're left with the fanatics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I was one of those who predicted a Trump victory. Now I'm not so sure.

I think it's very close. I don't put much faith in the poll numbers because I think that the polls are skewed due to the fact that many people won't publicly admit that they are going to vote Trump.

I don't really get this. I wouldn't care what some random pollster thought of me.

I don't really get this. I wouldn't care what some random pollster thought of me.

Trump supporters generally aren't shy about telling strangers that they support Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,560 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Trump supporters generally aren't shy about telling strangers that they support Trump.

Or their work colleagues for that matter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

How do you know someone hates Trump? They'll be sure to tell you by finding ways to work it into everything and absolutely anything they possibly can. Especially in work, on zoom or skype calls with colleagues US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Exactly. I don’t buy it at all. I’ve heard people say that people being polled might fear cancellation. Do they even have to give any personal details outside of a few demographics-related bits and bobs? I’m pretty sure my mother answered a few polls here in Ireland and didn’t have to give any information outside of her age and a few other things.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Maybe so, but that'd only be a bit of guess work though so who knows.

Makes no difference to me who gets the job as I don't live there but I have to admit that Trump is very entertaining.

I think he used to be fair amusing. He was great entertainment in the debates in 2016 and his Twitter was well worth a follow.

He has taken a sinister turn though. The last few years of being buried in right wing circles have taken away his roguish nature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Then when are 99.9% of public figures (be they in the entertainment or music industries) who express their views on Trump, all anti-Trump?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,729 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Then when are 99.9% of public figures (be they in the entertainment or music industries) who express their views on Trump, all anti-Trump?

https://twitter.com/VeganAri/status/1313686462764703744?s=19

It is what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭thebestwords

Same crowd who cheered and gave rewards to child molester Roman Polanski and worshipped serial sex offender Harvey Weinstein like a god. Likewise fawned over Trump before he ran for President.

It is what it is indeed, and backbone or credibility definitely isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Same crowd who cheered and gave rewards to child molester Roman Polanski and worshipped serial sex offender Harvey Weinstein like a god. Likewise fawned over Trump before he ran for President.

It is what it is indeed, and backbone or credibility definitely isn't it.

Yeah, it all likely hurts the Biden campaign with celebrities "we know better" attitude. There is a backlash against this hypocritical celeb culture.

I hope Biden wins, and we can go back to hearing very little about American politics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Yeah, it all likely hurts the Biden campaign with celebrities "we know better" attitude. There is a backlash against this hypocritical celeb culture.

I hope Biden wins, and we can go back to hearing very little about American politics

exactly don't like either but at least with biden win we might hear less and have less of that divisive **** thrown over this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,606 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Funny, I can think of a lot of entertainment types that support the #IMPOTUS. Kanye. His wife. James Woods. Sure you're right about that 99.9% thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,579 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Your future sounds bleak, when has American politics ever been insignificant?

Trump suggests that veterans and their families are responsible for spreading coronavirus in the Whitehouse. I didn't want to predict anything before but I can't see him winning anymore.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/08/us/politics/trump-coronavirus-gold-star-families.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Trump suggests that veterans and their families are responsible for spreading coronavirus in the Whitehouse. I didn't want to predict anything before but I can't see him winning anymore.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/08/us/politics/trump-coronavirus-gold-star-families.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

First those that died in military service were losers, now their family members are after giving him covid. Can hear spines cracking already as his supporters try and spin this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

You are clearly consuming too much MSM, wean yourself off it and that percentage will rapidly reduce.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement