Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who thinks Trump will win?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,496 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So all opinions are just confirmation bias then? Including yours....

No, just yours. I read information BEFORE I form an opinion. THAT'S the difference. I also check the information I recieve. Where it comes from, is it biased, is it concistent.

Case in point...
    I had no idea Trump was so popular in the Black community not too long ago, I do now....you still have your head in the sand so you are not in any position to be navel gazing at anyone...

...why does the poll jump 25% in three days? Without any apparent reason for it? No change in policy? This is supicious. This is why I asked you what size the poll was and what questions were asked. It sounds flawed to me, but you accepted it without thinking and beleived it automatically. Because it confirms the bias you have in favour of Trump.

Now I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying it's suspicious.

---

Also - why is it that every statement you make has never has any link or eividence? Why do people continuously have to drag it out of you?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭vojiwox

If your facts are correct, then the employment drop from 08 happened without influence of Obama and if so then Trump has no claim for bringing it to historically low levels.

Which is it? Trump has no responsibility for the low figures, or the low figures are in thanks to the policies of Obama?

What Obama policies exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

No - I read reports then make up my mind. And I ask questions like: why does the poll jump 25% in three days? Without no apparent reason for it? This is why I asked you what size the poll was and what questions were asked. You accept it ebcause it suits your preset bias.

I don't know how many times I have to say this, my opinion is not based on any poll...I relied on polls and reports in media in 2016 which didn't work out well for me...I have explained why I hold that opinion pointing to the policies that have directly benefitted the black community....there are plenty of people in that very community that have articulated why they support Trump which indicates to me, he will increase his black vote...this isn't even difficult to understand, policies that have a positive impact on a community may very well lead to an increase in support of the candidate that secured them....it's not rocket science.

In any of these "reports" have you come across those policies that I have mentioned repeatedly?

---

Also - why is it that every statement you make has never has any link or eividence? Why do people continuously have to drag it out of you?[/QUOTE]

You mean every time I offer an opinion is it?

I have left plenty of links and shared my reasoning as much as anyone else...you just don't like what I have to say.

I don't know how many times I have to say this, my opinion is not based on any poll...I relied on polls and reports in media in 2016 which didn't work out well for me...I have explained why I hold that opinion pointing to the policies that have directly benefitted the black community....there are plenty of people in that very community that have articulated why they support Trump which indicates to me, he will increase his black vote...this isn't even difficult to understand, policies that have a positive impact on a community may very well lead to an increase in support of the candidate that secured them....it's not rocket science.

In any of these "reports" have you come across those policies that I have mentioned repeatedly?

I never said polls.

• Advertisement

---

Also - why is it that every statement you make has never has any link or eividence? Why do people continuously have to drag it out of you?

You mean every time I offer an opinion is it?

I have left plenty of links and shared my reasoning as much as anyone else...you just don't like what I have to say.

I assume that if you express it here, you want to discuss it. It not, why? If so, how can we discuss something only you know about?

I never said polls.

You were questioning the veracity of a poll just a minute ago...

You were questioning the veracity of a poll just a minute ago...

I thought you meant general polls, sorry.

But if you dont believe polls, then why did you make a statement based on a (suspicious) poll and then link to the poll to back it up...?

I assume that if you express it here, you want to discuss it. It not, why? If so, how can we discuss something only you know about?

You do realize you haven't left a single link or piece of evidence yourself right but you are insisting that I do.

You don't like my opinion...it's just that simple.

You do realize you haven't left a single link or piece of evidence yourself right but you are insisting that I do.

You don't like my opinion...it's just that simple.

This is an opinion based on the evidence of your posts. Your posts are in your post history by your profile.

I don;t like you bias.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

So all opinions are just confirmation bias then? Including yours....

I had no idea Trump was so popular in the Black community not too long ago, I do now....you still have your head in the sand so you are not in any position to be navel gazing at anyone...
    He isn't...you are basing that opinion on seemingly one poll that you found not on anything else substantive

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Princess Consuela Bananahammock and Silentcorner drop it and move on please, no need for a multi page back and forth between you two. Work it out via PM or ignore each other

• Registered Users Posts: 21,698 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

vojiwox wrote: »
    What Obama policies exactly?

2009 Recovery Act
    Obama’s 2009 Recovery Act Kicked Off Over 10 Years Of Economic Growth

Some very telling facts and figures in that article
    It is harder for companies to find workers and it is later in the business cycle. However, Trump’s boasts about how many jobs he has added don’t include the fact that he has generated 6.5 million jobs under his Presidency vs. the 8.1 million, or 1.6 million fewer than Obama did during his last three years in office. In fact, Trump's best year of job growth (2018) doesn't even beat any of Obama's last three years.

Bold emphasis mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,501 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Its really not. What have the democrats actually done to increase black employment in the US, what policies are not based in handing out free welfare or pulling black people up the ladder over others ?

Donald trump encouraged equality of opportunity, democrats encourage equality of outcome

Come on now

black-unemployment-rate-2009-to-2017-1.jpg

If the claim is Trump > Democrats on black unemployment show me on the unemployment charts there’s a measurable shift in trend thanks

newhouse87 wrote: »
    No president is responsible for anything going by your logic so. Its the preceding president who done all the work negative or positive.

If your assertion was true explain how Obama turned around the trend from 17% black unemployment to 7%?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,592 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Yes it is, obama policies are not a fact just your opinion for the reason of such low unemployment , lowest unemployment numbers for african americans under trump are a fact.

History at this point. Unemployment has spiked in the US under the #IMPOTUS. What's past for this administration, is history. Last year doesn't matter when you don't have a job this year.

If your rejoinder is, "Well it's the virus and there's nothing he can do," that's speculative. There's nothing he *succeeded* at doing to impact the unemployment rate. It's not like the virus gives him a free ride to do nothing.

It's on him. Historic unemployment rates across the board. Congratulations on the economy, #IMPOTUS.

Whites House Chief if Staff Mark Meadows:

“We are not going to control the pandemic.”

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/white-house-chief-of-staff-mark-meadows-were-not-going-to-control-the-pandemic/

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Overheal wrote: »
    If your assertion was true explain how Obama turned around the trend from 17% black unemployment to 7%?

not my assertion, somebody else's logic.

Igotadose wrote: »
    History at this point. Unemployment has spiked in the US under the #IMPOTUS. What's past for this administration, is history. Last year doesn't matter when you don't have a job this year.

If your rejoinder is, "Well it's the virus and there's nothing he can do," that's speculative. There's nothing he *succeeded* at doing to impact the unemployment rate. It's not like the virus gives him a free ride to do nothing.

It's on him. Historic unemployment rates across the board. Congratulations on the economy, #IMPOTUS.

exactly which is why obama cant claim responsibility for lowest african american employment in history.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Wouldn't almost every country's unemployment graph from 2008 on look like that?

• Advertisement

Look and see.

It’s not a contest with other countries though and the question remains why has nothing Trump has claimed to do for black unemployment not been reflected by a noticeable shift in the unemployment trend line?

UK graph

united-kingdom-unemployment-rate.png?s=ukueilor&v=202010232300V20200908&d1=19951101

Irelands graph

ireland-unemployment-rate.png?s=ieuert&v=202010232300V20200908&d1=19951101

France graph
    france-unemployment-rate.png?s=umrtfr&v=202010232300V20200908&d1=19951101

UK recovery took 3 years longer than the US, Irish recovery took 5 years longer, France about 7 years.

Still think Obama did nothing but Trump is some sort of genuis?
    Facts don't support that view.

never said trump was a genius or obama did nothing, simply stated the fact the during trumps presidency he had lowest african american unemployment rate. As van jones on cnn said trump doesn't get credit for doing good things for the black community, i look at things unfiltered and unemotional.

never said trump was a genius or obama did nothing, simply stated the fact the during trumps presidency he had lowest african american unemployment rate. As van jones on cnn said trump doesn't get credit for doing good things for the black community, i look at things unfiltered and unemotional.

Tell us what he has done for the black community which makes him deserving of credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

UK graph

united-kingdom-unemployment-rate.png?s=ukueilor&v=202010232300V20200908&d1=19951101

Irelands graph

ireland-unemployment-rate.png?s=ieuert&v=202010232300V20200908&d1=19951101

France graph
    france-unemployment-rate.png?s=umrtfr&v=202010232300V20200908&d1=19951101

UK recovery took 3 years longer than the US, Irish recovery took 5 years longer, France about 7 years.

Still think Obama did nothing but Trump is some sort of genuis?
    Facts don't support that view.

I asked a logical question. There is a marked difference in the timing and length between europe and us, which could point to a lot of things. If it is mostly down to Obama's actions I have no problem saying that. What are the top things in the recovery act that you think made the difference between say the US and Europe and is there any natural advantage to being the world's reserve currency?

I have never even implied Trump is a genius and I've said on here before recently that I don't know much about economics.

EDIT: For example, I'm just putting into google why did the US recover quicker than the EU and the top articles are giving lots of different reasons. e.g. a guardian article cites monetary policy, the federal reserve's action as the most important vs EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,452 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Correlation doesn't prove causality.

Trump did nothing to make those figures work, surely your unfiltered view can see that

Tell us what he has done for the black community which makes him deserving of credit.

Dont think im the right person to say what he has done good for the black community but here's what van jones said. As also stated though trump does not do enough to condemn idiot white supremacists groups, maybe if he did he might get more credit.

"I think it's really unfortunate because Donald Trump, and I get beat up by liberals every time I say it but I keep saying it, he has done good stuff for the Black community," Jones said. "Opportunity Zone stuff, Black college stuff, I worked with him on criminal stuff, I saw Donald Trump have African American people, formally incarcerated, in the White House, embraced them, treated them well. There is a side to Donald Trump that I think he does not get enough credit for.”
    Trump does not do enough to condemn idiot white supremacists groups, maybe if he did he might get more credit.

Dont think im the right person to say what he has done good for the black community but here's what van jones said. As also stated though trump does not do enough to condemn idiot white supremacists groups, maybe if he did he might get more credit.

"I think it's really unfortunate because Donald Trump, and I get beat up by liberals every time I say it but I keep saying it, he has done good stuff for the Black community," Jones said. "Opportunity Zone stuff, Black college stuff, I worked with him on criminal stuff, I saw Donald Trump have African American people, formally incarcerated, in the White House, embraced them, treated them well. There is a side to Donald Trump that I think he does not get enough credit for.”
    Trump does not do enough to condemn idiot white supremacists groups, maybe if he did he might get more credit.

Quote away but can you choose actions of him that caused reductions of unemployment? Cause that downward trend is simply maintained.

duploelabs wrote: »
    Correlation doesn't prove causality.

Trump did nothing to make those figures work, surely your unfiltered view can see that

Again it cant be said either way the exact reason for lowest unemployment of african american, cant be definitively said it was obama's policies either, i simply stated a fact.

• Advertisement

Quote away but can you choose actions of him that caused reductions of unemployment? Cause that downward trend is simply maintained.

Better quote a black american rather then me talk about trump and the african american community. Maintaining a long term trend is not always straight forward either.
    I simply stated a fact, dont know why it has irked so many but there seems to be a lot of emotional people on here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement