Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who thinks Trump will win?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,591 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

No, not that I can think of.

When I was growing up my first introduction to conservatives was the PMRC and seeing as I had a huge poster of Dee Snider on my ceiling, and they put him in their crosshairs, I put them in mine.

Gave me a proper belly chuckle that one did.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,700 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

When I was growing up my first introduction to conservatives was the PMRC and seeing as I had a huge poster of Dee Snider on my ceiling, and they put him in their crosshairs, I put them in mine.

I asked what is it specifically about liberal ideas which you think are dangerous leading you to hate them.

Can you tell us?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Gave me a proper belly chuckle that one did.

I was very tribalistic when I was 12.

I asked what is it specifically about liberal ideas which you think are dangerous leading you to hate them.

Can you tell us?

It's not liberal ideas. It's what's done in the name of liberal ideals. If you start a thread on the topic, be happy to post in it.

It's not liberal ideas. It's what's done in the name of liberal ideals.

What has led you to castigate anyone with a liberal mindset. I am suggesting you do so as you have been very specific in your phrasing and terminology.

Can you give us specific examples of something that has been done in the name of liberal ideals which leads you to think this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭vojiwox

Huh, what are the chances eh!

Ha! I'm with you when they come for the art! Leave my metal alone!

• Advertisement

The Gym Jordan stuff is pathetic and again highlights the hypocrisy of the left. I don't happen to think Tara Reade's allegations should mean all that much outside of a courtroom, but yet the left will happily suggest Jim/Kavanaugh are guilty based on mere allegations but look the other way whenever it's a democrat who gets accused. Double standards as ever.
    Do you know what the word biased means?

You lot were happy to believe every syllable that Adam Schiff uttered not so long ago. You didn't seem so concerned with bias then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭vojiwox

I was very tribalistic when I was 12.

Maybe still?

The Gym Jordan stuff is pathetic and again highlights the hypocrisy of the left. I don't happen to think Tara Reade's allegations should mean all that much outside of a courtroom, but yet the left will happily suggest Jim/Kavanaugh are guilty based on mere allegations but look the other way whenever it's a democrat who gets accused. Double standards as ever.

You lot were happy to believe every syllable that Adam Schiff uttered not so long ago. You didn't seem so concerned with bias then.

What technical qualifications does Jim have that would make him able to validate the emails?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'm gonna throw down a gauntlet, here.

In the event of a Trump win, I'm fully prepared to say that the polls were wrong (again), and accept the continuation of Trump's presidency.

Now in the event of a Biden win, are Trump supporters prepared to say that the polls were right, and accept a transfer of power?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

“I came to know him (Trump) and his family socially. But it wasn’t until he ran for president that I discovered his belief system inside, and I disagree with what he believes. I absolutely disagree with what he believes. So it’s very difficult because we were friends before – but now that he speaks his true mind, I can’t be friends.”

- Dee Snider

• Advertisement

Would that be chairman of the Intelligence Committee Adam Schiff?
    Yes, whose investigations led to the impeachment of the President leading even some Republicans to believe he had behaved illegally.

Do you see any difference between that process and the current one around Hunter Biden?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭raclle

I honestly cant fathom the mindset of anyone who votes for Trump and it scares me

Cant see how he can win this time but I said that last time as well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

briany wrote: »
    I'm gonna throw down a gauntlet, here.

In the event of a Trump win, I'm fully prepared to say that the polls were wrong (again), and accept the continuation of Trump's presidency.

Now in the event of a Biden win, are Trump supporters prepared to say that the polls were right, and accept a transfer of power?

I hope we remember after, I said as much the other day. One group is very wrong about what is happening. My biggest problem with this whole thing (Biden scandal + the election generally) is that journalism is dead and I get the distinct feeling I'm being fed propaganda. Google news, Reddit, big media companies won't tell me Biden is anything less than the second coming of Christ etc. and appear to be running cover for what seems like the most flaccid, unenthusiastic, cynical campaign I can remember. (Slogan: A Dark Winter Ahead)

So either the aggregate of my knowledge is way off or there has been a giant propoganda campaign. I have no problem saying I was completely wrong about this if Biden were to win and it would restore my faith in the polls.

What technical qualifications does Jim have that would make him able to validate the emails?

Hat1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,493 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Hat1.jpg

That would make more sense if he wasn't wearing a hat.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

You seem to think everyone who supports Biden is "radical left".

Most just believe in competence, dignity and basic decency.

In the same way not every Trump supporter is racist but every racist is a Trump supporter.

well..they were hardly going to back the open border welfare state loving democrats. Just like a lot of black people will always vote democrat, most racists will always vote republican because they see it as the opposite to what black people want.

the above about decency etc... its not about that, most people voting Biden are doing so because he's not trump. This election is trump vs not trump. It could be OJ Simpson or ted bunny on the democratic ticket and people would still vote for him because they're not Donald trump.

Id rank reasons people are voting for Joe Biden in order of likelihood :

he's not Donald Trump
    he's not a republican
    he's not a conspicuous consumption type of rich guy
    he's a reminder of Obama
    to avenge hillary's loss
    NGO's, celebrities and corporations are backing Biden
    media manipulation
    young people not wanting to be ostracised from their groups of friends
    black people being told by their peers that they can't vote for trump
    women not wanting to fall foul of their female friends.
    because they actually think Joe Biden is a good candidate.

well..they were hardly going to back the open border welfare state loving democrats. Just like a lot of black people will always vote democrat, most racists will always vote republican because they see it as the opposite to what black people want.

the above about decency etc... its not about that, most people voting Biden are doing so because he's not trump. This election is trump vs not trump. It could be OJ Simpson or ted bunny on the democratic ticket and people would still vote for him because they're not Donald trump.

he's not Donald Trump
    he's not a republican
    he's a reminder of Obama
    to avenge hillary's loss
    media manipulation

The concept of goodwill for society in general and not just for the individual really is a concept many conservatives just cannot get their head around.

Fair play for stating so unequivocally that you do not think that young people, black people or females have the ability for their own rational determination of who they like in a candidate.

Honestly, we probably all thought you think like this, I really can't believe you laid it out so bluntly.

he's not Donald Trump
    he's not a republican
    he's a reminder of Obama
    to avenge hillary's loss
    media manipulation

Basically, Biden would represent a return to normality, which now seems attractive, even though normality was what the USA looked to be railing against in 2016. He's a level-headed, competent statesman who would at least pretend to try to work with the other side. An experienced politician who you probably wouldn't have to read about the mad things he'd said in the morning before you even get to the afternoon. The idea that he's the king of the left, such as Trump likes to paint him, is patently laughable. He's the walking embodiment of a centrist corporate Democrat. Right now, there could be a lot of Americans who accept that things haven't really improved for them under Trump and are ready to say that the only way towards progress for themselves is from a basis of relative political stability and move away from the craziness and political theatre of Trump and Trumpism.

Would that be chairman of the Intelligence Committee Adam Schiff?

Yes, the Adam Schiff who deliberately withheld testimony because he knew it would show there was no case for Russian collusion.

THAT Adam Schiff, yes.

https://twitter.com/RichardGrenell/status/1278859915323305984

Yes, the Adam Schiff who deliberately withheld testimony because he knew it would show there was no case for Russian collusion.

THAT Adam Schiff, yes.

Sure Pete. The 215 indictments for Trump people in connection with this, the trials, convictions and prison sentences were all a hoax.

• Advertisement

The concept of goodwill for society in general and not just for the individual really is a concept many conservatives just cannot get their head around.

Fair play for stating so unequivocally that you do not think that young people, black people or females have the ability for their own rational determination of who they like in a candidate.

Honestly, we probably all thought you think like this, I really can't believe you laid it out so bluntly.

No, I didn't.
    Im saying these are extra pressures that can influence some people in these groups to back Joe Biden. Sadly coming out as a republican voter (let alone a trump voter) while young, female or black is quite hard and likely to lose you a lot of friends these days.

I think there are more black people, young people and women out there who have been pressured or coerced into mindlessly voting for any given democratic candidate than there are people who genuinely would choose Joe Biden as their absolute no.1 pick, even if there was a few more options available.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Biden looks like an extremely poor candidate. I'm not sure why the Democrats could not find someone better than him.
    Initially I thought Biden would win easily - given what was happening in USA with BLM, Covid plus the Trump circus. However, I now think that Trump has got a chance purely due to the ineptness of the Biden campaign and things like muddling the name of your opponent plays really badly with the electorate.

Biden needs to get the ship turned around as Trump was a lot stronger in the last debate, Bidens son and now the "George" incident and these needs to be put to bed.

briany wrote: »
    Basically, Biden would represent a return to normality, which now seems attractive, even though normality was what the USA looked to be railing against in 2016. He's a level-headed, competent statesman who would at least pretend to try to work with the other side. An experienced politician who you probably wouldn't have to read about the mad things he'd said in the morning before you even get to the afternoon. The idea that he's the king of the left, such as Trump likes to paint him, is patently laughable. He's the walking embodiment of a centrist corporate Democrat. Right now, there could be a lot of Americans who accept that things haven't really improved for them under Trump and are ready to say that the only way towards progress for themselves is from a basis of relative political stability and move away from the craziness and political theatre of Trump and Trumpism.

he absolutely is, he's a boringly standard democrat. I can see why some people want a return to a corporate funded centrist.

https://news.gallup.com/opinion/gallup/321650/gallup-election-2020-coverage.aspx
    Gallup's most recent survey found a clear majority of registered voters (56%) saying they are better off now than they were four years ago,

he absolutely is, he's a boringly standard democrat. I can see why some people want a return to a corporate funded centrist.

https://news.gallup.com/opinion/gallup/321650/gallup-election-2020-coverage.aspx

And according to Gallup, the same percentage believe Trump should not be reelected.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/322340/voters-say-trump-not-deserve-reelection.aspx
    The percentage of voters who currently say Trump deserves to be reelected matches his latest overall job approval rating from the same poll. Gallup's previous measures of Trump's reelection deservedness were each within three points of his approval rating, and the significance to reelection is clear. As Gallup reported in May: "Historically, all incumbents with an approval rating of 50% or higher have won reelection, and presidents with approval ratings much lower than 50% have lost."

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/

Currently, things do not look so good for Trump, based on the aggregate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

he's not Donald Trump
    he's not a republican
    he's a reminder of Obama
    to avenge hillary's loss
    media manipulation

As opposed to the way we could sum up why some of the people would vote Trump
    - my grand pappy and his mates God bless them used to put those N****s in their place by hanging a few of them, especially if they looked at one of our women and Trump hates those N***** loving BLM communists
    - Trump is going to guarantee our guns unlike those commie Democrats
    - Trump may be a multi divorced womanising pervert, his daughter is a Jew lover, but he will stack the Supreme Court with people that will make our country once again a good God fearing one.
    - Trump is anti communist - he will get rid of that communist Obama healthcare
    - Trump don't like those foreigners and we hate foreigners
    - Trump will cuts taxes for the rich and we rich people don't want to pay any taxes.
    - Trump is a great leader because he says so
    - Trump is a great businessman and he will make America great again

And lastly you might possibly find just a few with a semi functioning brain, that aren't racist, that aren't connected and rich looking for tax breaks, that don't want to keep their arsenal of weapons, that don't believe that some mythical being created the planet less than 10,000 years ago that might actually vote for Trump.

But seriously, unlike last time, only a complete moron or someone of the vested interests above, should vote for a moron that has done nothing but drag America's world standing down into the gutter, has sat idly by watching hundreds of thousands of his citizens die whilst rubbishing the efforts of scientists and medical professionals, tried to destroy the independence of state agencies such as the FBI, has refused to condemn racists groups and has tried to undermine America's democracy itself.

I am trying to figure out which class of moron some of the Trump supporters here fall into.
    Hell we can have a competition on that.

I am not allowed discuss …

There are plenty of Conservatives who understand the concept of goodwill toward society. I wouldn't be mixing up the **** that make up the Republican Party with people who hold some, or general, conservative values.

The people you're thinking are just cunts really. It also begins with a "c", but it isn't completely the same as someone who is conservative in their outlook.

The thing is, while the left wing can have a tendency to attract some naive and "right on" types, who can be irritating in the extreme, the right has a tendency to attract absolute, self absorbed, ****. Scratch a lot of so called "conservatives" (especially the nouveaux online types) and you'll get deeply unpleasant bastards a lot of the time. But I wouldn't be mistaking them for everyone who holds some conservative ideals.

The pull up the ladder, what's in it for me, I'm alright Jack types that started to appear around the time of Thatcher and her ilk aren't truly reflective of everyone who may hold a conservative value or two.

Trump is just the latest incarnation of that type of shitbag. Utterly self absorbed and only interested in himself, who's willing to say just about anything to gain and hold onto a bit of power, which is why a lot of people were fooled by him in 2016 and believed that he was really going to be an iconoclast who would shake things up.

They were, obviously, sold a pup. But they really should have realised that years ago when the dog and pony show that is the Republican Party chose him as their front man.

Biden looks like an extremely poor candidate. I'm not sure why the Democrats could not find someone better than him.
    Initially I thought Biden would win easily - given what was happening in USA with BLM, Covid plus the Trump circus. However, I now think that Trump has got a chance purely due to the ineptness of the Biden campaign and things like muddling the name of your opponent plays really badly with the electorate.

Biden needs to get the ship turned around as Trump was a lot stronger in the last debate, Bidens son and now the "George" incident and these needs to be put to bed.

They chickened out, because at their heart, the Democratic Party are a conservative party too and getting behind Bernie Sanders was a "step too far" for them.

So they went for the milquetoast option of Joe Biden.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Good breakdown here what Trump needs to win:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Tony EH wrote: »
    They chickened out, because at their heart, the Democratic Party are a conservative party too and getting behind Bernie Sanders was a "step too far" for them.

So they went for the milquetoast option of Joe Biden.

Bernie Sanders probably *is* a step too far. If right wingers are happy to call Biden a socialist, then god knows what they'd call Sanders if it were he contesting the presidential election or became president. The sky would be the limit, I think.

And the pushback against Sanders from the Republicans and centre-right Democrats would be such that a Sanders presidency would find it hard to achieve much of what it set out to and maybe even cause America to lurch way back to the right again.

I don't think it's unbearably socialist of Bernie Sanders pointing out that most other developed countries have a decent public health option to the point that they don't have to worry much about predatory health insurance countries looking for any excuse not to cover them, or allow the disgusting profiteering that goes on within the American pharmaceutical industry, but that's where the U.S. is and where it's been for quite a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

John oliver last week tonight excellent again this week.
    Main story was on immigration, focussed on asylum as expected hugely damning with regards Trump.
    High quality stuff as usual.
    https://youtu.be/xtdU5RPDZqI

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement