Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Who thinks Trump will win?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭westdublin

Don't think Gadaffi's toppling would have been possible without direct US involvement. There is also the argument that the Saudi's little mess in Yemen had to have US backing for it to be viable.

So no actual wars...glad we agree on this, unless this is now the bar on which to judge when a country is at war which doesn't bode well for the current president.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

WHY would he win it for the colour of his skin?

Tokenism. Positive discrimination. Racism. Bigotry of low expectations. Take your pick.

What do you think he did to deserve it, other than being black and elected?

I think he got it for exactly what he was nominated for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I get the feeling that most of the pro trump posters in this thread only started paying attention to US politics shortly before trump got elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Tokenism. Positive discrimination. Racism. Bigotry of low expectations. Take your pick.

I selected racism for you.

• Advertisement

westdublin wrote: »
    I think he got it for exactly what he was nominated for.

Being black and elected then.

Didn’t trump call for the boycott of Goodyear tyres?

And let not forget calling for a Fox News reporter to be fired because she reported on a story that didnt paint him in a good light and had the absolute check to actually check the sources and confirm that they said what they said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Didn’t trump call for the boycott of Goodyear tyres?

I'm talking about cancel culture, de-platforming people who disagree with the woke cult.
    It affects people's careers and ability to work. People like J K Rowland for example - who wouldn't be considered Republican - are being affected too.
    A lot democrats will be motivated to vote for Republicans not because they are but because they want to put a stop

Being black and elected then.

Again I didn't know you could be nominated for being black......but im sure you are going to post some proof on this as soon as you find it.

You wouldn't be one of those posters that's is making something up out of nothing and being all "woke" :D

I selected racism for you.

Well done. Worse than Hitler. The new stormfront etc.

Now tell me why one specific newly elected US president was given the prize having achieved the same thing that every other US president achieved before him - being elected. Taking colour out of it, why is he different to any predecessor?

• Advertisement

Again I didn't know you could be nominated for being black......but im sure you are going to post some proof on this as soon as you find it.

You wouldn't be one of those posters that's is making something up out of nothing and being all "woke" :D

Tell me why one specific newly elected US president was given the prize having achieved the same thing that every other US president achieved before him - being elected. Taking colour out of it, why is he different to any predecessor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

So no actual wars...glad we agree on this, unless this is now the bar on which to judge when a country is at war which doesn't bode well for the current president.

Will give Obama credit not going mad with boots on the ground.
    Although going from bombing four countries to bombing seven isn't exactly Noble Peace winning behaviour.

Trump seems to have ramped up the drone strikes. So largely business as usual for the last three administrations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

What do you think he did to deserve it, other than being black and elected?

You are right that it was bit of a shock at the time, but I think Irrespective of his skin colour he would have gotten the nomination. Things were pretty messed up after the Bush years and any incoming change that campaigned the way they did back then could probably be nominated.

Does that mean he deserved it after such a short time in office? The committee certainly thought so, it was definitely a surprise and probably too soon (any award should be on the merits if the person receiving, not because if what happened before). Was this because if the colour of his skin? I don't think so.

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    I'm talking about cancel culture, de-platforming people who disagree with the woke cult.
    It affects people's careers and ability to work. People like J K Rowland for example - who wouldn't be considered Republican - are being affected too.
    A lot democrats will be motivated to vote for Republicans not because they are but because they want to put a stop

Cancel culture is not calling for a boycott of certain people/products....can you tell us what it means to you ?

De-platforming......private companies removing people who are breaking their T&C's that they agreed to when joining......just like Boards :)

As for J K Rowland not being considered a Republican, she was born in the UK so Im not sure she could vote republican but seeing their attempts at gerrymandering this could soon change.

Oh so we’re only talking about selective cancel culture.
    Not in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Oh so we’re only talking about selective cancel culture.
    Not in general.

Trump firing people falls under unfair dismissal
    Culture culture is another thing, and you know it. Don't twist things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,639 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Trump firing people falls under unfair dismissal
    Culture culture is another thing, and you know it. Don't twist things

Trump called for Fox newsJennifer Griffin to be fired, is Trumps "cancel culture" ok?

kenmm wrote: »
    You are right that it was bit of a shock at the time, but I think Irrespective of his skin colour he would have gotten the nomination. Things were pretty messed up after the Bush years and any incoming change that campaigned the way they did back then could probably be nominated.

Does that mean he deserved it after such a short time in office? The committee certainly thought so, it was definitely a surprise and probably too soon (any award should be on the merits if the person receiving, not because if what happened before). Was this because if the colour of his skin? I don't think so.

Inauguration date 20th January 2009.
    Nomination close date 31st January 2009.
    What did he do in a maximum of 11 or so days to warrant the nomination? (That is assuming the nomination went in on the 31st.)

Will give Obama credit not going mad with boots on the ground.
    Although going from bombing four countries to bombing seven isn't exactly Noble Peace winning behaviour.

Trump seems to have ramped up the drone strikes. So largely business as usual for the last three administrations.

But is the only reason you can win a Nobel Peace Price because you didnt start a war ?
    Who was president when the bombing of those 7 countries started ?

What did he do in a maximum of 11 or so days to warrant the nomination? (That is assuming the nomination went in on the 31st.)

Not be George Bush.

• Advertisement

But is the only reason you can win a Nobel Peace Price because you didnt start a war ?
    Who was president when the bombing of those 7 countries started ?

Four of them were under Bush, three under Obama. Going off memory here.
    As for the first part, obviously not. A cursory glance of the winners would reveal that.

I think I clearly said it was too soon for him to get it on his own merits. I also said anyone who wasn't Bush would get it, after the Bush years it was a mess.
    I still don't think it's because he was black. You (of course) think differently.
    What more do you want me to say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Obama's Nobel Prize was laughable, no point in denying that. He himself acknowledged that it wasn't for anything he had done, rather for what it was hoped he might do (and didn't).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Every us president has blood on their hands and none of them should ever get a Nobel peace prize. Giving it to Obama made a mockery of it. Trump shouldn’t get it either and he won’t. He was nominated again by that same Norwegian nutter that nominated him in 2018. If you’re an elected member of parliament anywhere in the world you can nominate someone for the Nobel peace prize. It’s a joke and this nomination is nothing more than a piss poor attempt to distract people from the Woodward tapes.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Every us president has blood on their hands and none of them should ever get a Nobel peace prize. Giving it to Obama made a mockery of it. Trump shouldn’t get it either and he won’t. He was nominated again by that same Norwegian nutter that nominated him in 2018. If you’re an elected member of parliament anywhere in the world you can nominate someone for the Nobel peace prize. It’s a joke and this nomination is nothing more than a piss poor attempt to distract people from the Woodward tapes.

I wonder which elected nutter(s) nominated Obama.

kenmm wrote: »
    I think I clearly said it was too soon for him to get it on his own merits. I also said anyone who wasn't Bush would get it, after the Bush years it was a mess.
    I still don't think it's because he was black. You (of course) think differently.
    What more do you want me to say?

At least we agree if wasn’t based on anything he did.

At least we agree if wasn’t based on anything he did.

Cool. I feel honoured!

But seriously, I think at the time a lot were surprised. Hard to remember, seems a lifetime ago now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Trump called for Fox newsJennifer Griffin to be fired, is Trumps "cancel culture" ok?

Left cancel culture bad. Trump cancel culture grand. Seems to be the way of thinking. Personnally I despise all cancel culture. If someone is saying something stupid I invoke my ignore culture.

ollkiller wrote: »
    Left cancel culture bad. Trump cancel culture grand. Seems to be the way of thinking. Personnally I despise all cancel culture. If someone is saying something stupid I invoke my ignore culture.

How many companies and media outlets has trump and his supporters called for a boycott of?
    Not to mention all the people he said should be fired.

Amazon
    Goodyear
    Ben and Jerry’s
    Harley Davidson
    Twitter
    Google
    Etc.

• Advertisement

How many companies and media outlets has trump and his supporters called for a boycott of?
    Not to mention all the people he said should be fired.

Amazon
    Goodyear
    Ben and Jerry’s
    Harley Davidson
    Twitter
    Google
    Etc.

Nasty people. Terrible. All of them. Mean questions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement