Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW engine swap as of 2020

Options
  • 01-09-2020 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Afternoon,

I've got a brief question on swapping an engine in a 2005 BMW 316i 1.8 petrol which I own. The shell, chassis and interior are immaculate and I'd like to keep it, as the engine died, I can get my hands on a M54 2.2 or 2.5 both available with all the drivetrain. I've heard the engine-gearbox-propshaft swap is pretty much plug and play and I've got a person that knows how to do the wiring loom. My question is as of 2020, who and how can find out that you've got a different engine under the hood and in the book and what consequences could one suffer? I'm not gonna lie, I'd like to commute it for cheaper before I change to an engineering job in 6 months to declare it 2.5 and be able to afford to drive it properly.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

you're aware of the road tax on it as a 2.5, right ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sprytnyspawacz

Well yes, the point is to have it 1.8 in the book and 2.5 under the hood so you pay 1.8 tax. I know that there's hundreds of people doing it but I've never heard a story with anyone having any unpleasantry by doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭CoBo55

This should be good....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Well yes, the point is to have it 1.8 in the book and 2.5 under the hood so you pay 1.8 tax. I know that there's hundreds of people doing it but I've never heard a story with anyone having any unpleasantry by doing so.

You'll get caught at your first NCT when the engine numbers don't match.

If you get away with that you will definitely get caught when you need it most, an insurance assessor will see it and your insurance will be cancelled. If you are responsible for the claim you could be sued for the 3rd party payment, if you are the 3rd party then you will have trouble from the cancelled policy. Insurance companies are looking at the terms and conditions of the policy for any excuse to avoid paying out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Nct don't check engine numbers a car could have a replacement engine for a number of reasons if it passes the emissions test there'll be no issue.

If you ever had an accident and an insurance assessor was involved they'd spot the bigger 6 cylinder engine.

If the guards ever wished to look under the bonnet chances are they'd spot it too (its very very rare that this would happen but it can) and the guards who ask generally know what they're looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 sprytnyspawacz

That should be clear enough, no point to mess about. I'll get another 2.5 coupe and swap around the nice bits, thanks for prompt responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Tails142

I swapped the engine in a 730d for another 3.0d engine from a 5 series after a timing belt failure, never had any questions about it at NCT

• Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

At the risk of backseat modding. I’d say read the motors forum charter, especially the bit about looking for advise on doing something illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

could have sworn you were a mod colm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement