Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

washing machines at petrol stations or supermarkets

• 01-09-2020 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

who uses these and why not just use your own washing machine.. sure anybodies ****e and cum could be going into these. at least if i use my own i know it just my own, or mostly my own

i notice them in lots of places. how has this become a thing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

Dunno but I’d never, ever use them. I’ve heard of people washing horse blankets in them. Disgusting. But I suppose if you’re used to using a laundrette it’s no different. Still I wouldn’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

The key market for these are people who have time to go to a petrol station to do their laundry and then come back to collect, I've even seen people sitting there waiting, like what the what? No time for anything like that personally so I guess it's not aimed at me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I know people who use them when dying clothing alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Some of them are very big so good for larger covers of all sorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Duvets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I was checking my tyre pressures last night and noticed two of our nomadic females sitting in a car, they were waiting for the machine to finish...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Specialun wrote: »
    who uses these and why not just use your own washing machine.. sure anybodies ****e and cum could be going into these. at least if i use my own i know it just my own, or mostly my own

Hardly anyone on boards.

I've gone to laundrettes, when I moved city and was still looking for a rental. But I'd always go to a reputable place. Maybe those petrol station washers are for construction gear or heavy duty stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Used one once for a super-king duvet that one of the kids vomited on.

Heard of people using them for entire sports team kits.

Some people seem to regard them as a day out, given that they inexplicably sit there in the car waiting for the duration of the cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I assumed it was mostly foreign nationals living in very poor rented accommodation where the landlord won't provide a washing machine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Campervanners mostly, and those who are moving around without a fixed abode I would guess.

• Advertisement

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I assumed it was mostly foreign nationals living in very poor rented accommodation where the landlord won't provide a washing machine?

Must be provided now by law I think, could be wrong though. But you will always get the rogues I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Most are owned and operated by Photo-Me group

A small little company :D - currently with a value of €220m, turnover of €250m and annual profits of €48m

https://photo-me.com/about/at-a-glance/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

they inexplicably sit there in the car waiting for the duration of the cycle.

If you're not there you could have your horse blanket stolen by nomads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Thread needs moving to current affairs

silver2020 wrote: »
    Most are owned and operated by Photo-Me group

A small little company :D - currently with a value of €220m, turnover of €250m and annual profits of €48m

https://photo-me.com/about/at-a-glance/

I think I have to use that company to get an online photo to renew my passport online. At least that's what I've been told. Even though I'm going nowhere for now, better not let the current one lapse, I think it's after a year out of date. Does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

I think I have to use that company to get an online photo to renew my passport online. At least that's what I've been told. Even though I'm going nowhere for now, better not let the current one lapse, I think it's after a year out of date. Does anyone know?

Yeah you have to go into the booth, it gives you an ID, i think you have to upload that ID. I'm not sure if it digitally transfers the photos from the booth to the gubbermint.

As far as i know you can take a selfie, as long as it's passport-shaped and formed as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Nexytus wrote: »

Door can’t be opened until the cycle is finished, as far as I remember. I went home and came back 2 minutes before it ended the time I used it anyway. I guess if you live more than half the cycle time away, that’s not viable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭Treppen

I used them for kid's passport... Photos seem to come out fine but rejected by passport crowd. Hadn't the fight left in me to go the customer service refund route.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I have a pet rabbit. She's house trained to relieve herself on bath mats. Those machines are a godsend for me as my machine would be banjaxed within a fortnight what with the weight of the wash and all that hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What price is an average wash?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

What price is an average wash?

€4 for medium (bigger than household machine) and €8 for big one, laundrette size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

humberklog wrote: »
    €4 for medium (bigger than household machine) and €8 for big one, laundrette size.

Reasonable enough, good for duvets and large items that might not fit in the house washing machine. Didn't really think about what others might be putting in it before me though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Nexytus wrote: »

Don't be silly. They don't use horse blankets. Or the fat that would naturally be on well cared for horses to keep them warm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

My neighbour washes all the dog beds and blankets in them (she has 6 dogs!). She doesn't like wrecking/dirtying her own machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

Don't be silly. They don't use horse blankets. Or the fat that would naturally be on well cared for horses to keep them warm.

Some of the smarter ones though can even pick up on irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

My tenants use them. The studio apartments are too small for a washing machine so they either use them or else walk further away to the launderette. Though by the stink any time I visit the flats to pick up rent they're not using them enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Had to use them for 3 or 4 weeks when our washing machine broke down and the replacement I wanted wasn't in stock. A right pain. Would generally throw in my wash and go shopping to kill the time. The one I used was in the forecourt of a petrol station.

Yeah you have to go into the booth, it gives you an ID, i think you have to upload that ID. I'm not sure if it digitally transfers the photos from the booth to the gubbermint.

As far as i know you can take a selfie, as long as it's passport-shaped and formed as such.

So I heard, but I wouldn't trust myself not to laugh or something :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

i had to wash and tumble dry a few duvets and a stack of pillows - it was shocking expensive to have them dry cleaned and I couldn’t fit them into my own machine ao I decided to give the petrol station ones a go. I was very cynical but they came out great and the huge washer thing took them all easily - I think it cost me e8 for the wash and about e4 to tumble dry them - I’ve never used a lundrette and it was really ofd sitting in my car watching my washing go round & round . The only drawback was I had to wait for some joker in a boyracer who jumped in ahead of me & was drying two pairs of boxers and a pink frilly thong to finish before I could transfer my duvets across. There was someone waiting for the washer so I had to put my wet duvets on the bonnet of my car while I waited for the tumbler to be free! Next time I’ll be a real hobo and brink a big bucket or binbag!! In fairness they all came out lovely & sparkly in the wash & no complaints here!! I’d definately use it again for similar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Yes you can take any kind of photo. I took one I photo booth and it was rejected for some reason.Took one myself and it was accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

Perfect for washing heavy curtains, would only break a home washing machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Not all flats have a washing machine. I don't think it's required for every tenant. The garage maybe closer to you than the local launderette.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

riclad wrote: »
    Not all flats have a washing machine. I don't think it's required for every tenant. The garage maybe closer to you than the local launderette.

Access to a washer and drying facilities is required by law for each tenant.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

Great for washing the dogs blankets and beds. Friends use them for horse blankets and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

The bloody things will put Dot Cotton out of business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Would be handy using the drier on days when we get day after day of rain. I myself do not have a tumble drier.
    Anytime which I have tried to use them (twice in 2 years) they were very busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

whodafunk wrote: »
    Would be handy using the drier on days when we get day after day of rain. I myself do not have a tumble drier.
    Anytime which I have tried to use them (twice in 2 years) they were very busy.
    Hang them up Inside and run a desiccant dehumidifier. Job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Used one once for a super-king duvet that one of the kids vomited on.

Ha ha.... sounds like our house .... he had a much worse accident with a sick child on duvet and in military style I said I know just the machine and took it to one of these machines....

Think I paid about 6 euros in it...... I'd have paid 60 that day it was do fecked up.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Do these washing machines have planning permission. I remember hearing a while back that some of the parcel motels in petrol stations had to be removed because of they didn't have planning wonder will these washing machines experience the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Yes, that's right. Just stick your head in the washing machine and press the red button. Then wait 5 minutes. Simples.

• Advertisement

My tenants use them. The studio apartments are too small for a washing machine so they either use them or else walk further away to the launderette. Though by the stink any time I visit the flats to pick up rent they're not using them enough.

Sort out a standing order and save your bourgeois nostrils so.

KungPao wrote: »
    Hang them up Inside and run a desiccant dehumidifier. Job done.

Exactly. One suitable for cool air /UK & Ireland climate.

GT89 wrote: »
    Do these washing machines have planning permission. I remember hearing a while back that some of the parcel motels in petrol stations had to be removed because of they didn't have planning wonder will these washing machines experience the same.

Yes, apparently they thought they were exempt from planning but it didn't wash with the local authorities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

GT89 wrote: »

Well they are all on private property and no bigger than a small garden shed. Like seriously!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I've used them plenty of times for duvets and heavy curtains. And while I was waiting for parts to repair my own washing machine.

I don't get the hatred/looking down the nose at using these machines. Not everyone has space for a washing machine or they may be in temporary accommodation, or like me, have a broken washing machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Looking at all the replies, no wonder the company does well.

And yes, I've used them too and friends use them. Really handy for when you want to get all the washing done after a holiday, or sports kits, or large items and good value too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

FanadMan wrote: »
    I've used them plenty of times for duvets and heavy curtains. And while I was waiting for parts to repair my own washing machine.

I don't get the hatred/looking down the nose at using these machines. Not everyone has space for a washing machine or they may be in temporary accommodation, or like me, have a broken washing machine.

That's exactly what I wanted to say... The op is a thinly veiled class separation post. Some people are so 'snobby' and for no reason whatsoever. God Love them if that's what they think when they pass one of these outlets. I got some great tips from this thread and will be bringing duvets and larger items to them in future.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Yes, there's a few around here, at Tesco, a local garage etc. Always seem to be busy.

I'd say very useful, as has been said, for bigger stuff, pet blankets etc, that a domestic washing machine might struggle with.

Good idea, I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Specialun wrote: »

Only on boards could you find people outraged and disgusted by a ****in washing machine... :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Our then-kitten took an unmerciful dump on our brand new duvet. Covers were also new but we threw them out. Stains got through to the duvet so I washed it in one of those places. Fierce handy tbh

• Advertisement
Advertisement