Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leylandi hedging

Options
  • 01-09-2020 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Have some dead sections on my Leylandi hedging as seen in attached photo.

Will this grow back? Get worse?

Any explanation as to why this happened

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

No the brown areas won't regrow.
    The most likely cause is constant close trimming which exhausts the plant over time.
    Hedges ideally shouldn't be trimmed between April and July inc to allow them to recover strength lost by trimming

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

No the brown areas won't regrow.
    The most likely cause is constant close trimming which exhausts the plant over time.
    Hedges ideally shouldn't be trimmed between April and July inc to allow them to recover strength lost by trimming

So unfortunately I will have dead sections ?

What can I do if anything

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Cuttlefish wrote: »
    So unfortunately I will have dead sections ?

What can I do if anything

Unfortunately, nothing. Once they have died off like that they are not going to grow again. There is a lot of dead wood in that hedge, is it between you and a neighbour? It has been cut too tight and maybe too frequently, but leylandii is not an ideal hedge anyway.

Edit, I have just seen that Standard said the same about cutting close.

looksee wrote: »
    Unfortunately, nothing. Once they have died off like that they are not going to grow again. There is a lot of dead wood in that hedge, is it between you and a neighbour? It has been cut too tight and maybe too frequently, but leylandii is not an ideal hedge anyway.

Edit, I have just seen that Standard said the same about cutting close.

Yes between myself and my neighbor

Planted bout 20 years and have trimmed it bout twice a year. Will admit my ignorance about the right times to trim ( I used to.at start and about end if summer) and also didn't realise as others have mentioned that close trimming exhausts the tree.

So based on what you are all.saying these trees/ hedge will die off in the coming years??

And will have to be removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭TTTT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don't claim any expertise here, but are you absolutely sure it's Lleylandii?

Lumen wrote: »
    I don't claim any expertise here, but are you absolutely sure it's Lleylandii?

Am not absolutely sure to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Conifers-1024x682.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

It's definitely leylandii

down so long now I forgotten I do know that one section, not in photo, is not leylandii. Could be cypress from looking at the sample photo Lumen kindly provided

Suffice to say this hedging is going to deteriorate over time?

• Advertisement
Advertisement