Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survey for Architect

Options
  • 01-09-2020 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to do a renovation on a house that we have lived in for a few years. It was originally built in the late 1960, with some slight modernisation completed on it a few years ago - new electrics, re-plumbed & insulation.

What do I need to give the architects for them to start planning any works? I.e. would they need an engineers survey and if so, how do I go about getting that? Typically, what would that cost?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Architect will survey the house.

What you need to give the architect is a brief.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Keedowah wrote: »
    I'm looking to do a renovation on a house that we have lived in for a few years. It was originally built in the late 1960, with some slight modernisation completed on it a few years ago - new electrics, re-plumbed & insulation.

What do I need to give the architects for them to start planning any works? I.e. would they need an engineers survey and if so, how do I go about getting that? Typically, what would that cost?

Thanks!

Give the architect the job.
    They will carry out a measured survey.
    Chat and discuss budget, brief, what you want and discuss how much freedom the architect has with the design aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Leave surveys and the like to your design team. Otherwise you are clouding responsibilities.

Write down what you want and what you don't want.

If there is a feature of another house that you like, give them a photograph of it. Tell them the parts of the feature that you want and don't want. For example, I heard of someone saying they would like a gate like the one the neighbour has. What the person wanted was the pattern of metalwork, not that they wanted an electric gate.

If there is a particular, say bath that you like, get the manufacturer, model / name, etc. Specify any options you do / don't want.

Come up with how much you can afford and any landmarks, e.g. you can afford €100,000, but €100,000 + X is a problem.

Tell them your objectives, e.g. we need three bedrooms and a home office, the kitchen needs to be separate from the living room, etc.

Tell them they are responsible for all design and supervision.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would suggest you work out what you want then have a preliminary discussion with the architect - who may charge you for this or do it free (I had an architect that didn't get beyond arriving at the site for a preliminary meeting, looked disdainful about and dismissed all our ideas and charged me essentially a call out fee of maybe 80, I can't remember. An architect that I employed but eventually had to give up on (we parted amicably) charge 300 for an in-depth preliminary discussion, And a lovely guy who didn't charge anything for a preliminary discussion, had great ideas and sorted everything.)

Then you decide whether you are on the same wave-length and only at that stage do you engage them.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Super helpful everyone - thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

work out a budget first

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    work out a budget first
    AND THEN ADD 10-15%

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Keep in mind budget is = build + architects fee (~10% of build) + structural engineer + QS + misc

You can choose to engage the architect for less of the project (design only for example) to bring down the fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Thanks Rew - was thinking I could use the architect for design only and then rely on the builder/engineer. What are the pitfalls with this method though?

Thanks Rew - was thinking I could use the architect for design only and then rely on the builder/engineer. What are the pitfalls with this method though?

An architect will sign off on all stages of construction
    Foundations
    Walls Roof etc
    Handy certs to have if you have to sell
    I know one couple who had to strip back the plaster off a steel beam and knock around both ends of it
    This was where a kitchen internal wall was taken down and the surveyor for the purchaser wanted to make sure it was a properly installed steel beam

• Advertisement

brisan wrote: »
    An architect will sign off on all stages of construction
    Foundations
    Walls Roof etc
    Handy certs to have if you have to sell
    I know one couple who had to strip back the plaster off a steel beam and knock around both ends of it
    This was where a kitchen internal wall was taken down and the surveyor for the purchaser wanted to make sure it was a properly installed steel beam

Structural engineer for that id imagine, architect will give you a compliance cert for planning. The multiple architects i'm talking to your QS and structural are extras.

I think it comes down to the scale of what your doing. I need to almost rebuild and extend with some very specific issues and requirements so I cant see a way around going the whole hog. If your doing a single story extension and cosmetic changes elsewhere maybe don't need the full package.

Most of the cost is in doing highly detailed plans, tender for builder and site visits. The detailed plan means builder can quote for the job and know exactly what it is and as the client you have a contract detailing every little detail. If I were you I would spend a good bit of time interviewing a few candidate architects and builders.

Rew wrote: »
    Structural engineer for that id imagine, architect will give you a compliance cert for planning. The multiple architects i'm talking to your QS and structural are extras.

Well when I built extensions on my properties or knocked supporting walls I always got an architect to certify the work.
    Just made it easier when it came to sell
    I do not know if a structural engineer can certify foundations roofs etc but if they are able to and they are cheaper go with that

Rew wrote: »

Depends. Standard construction methods, an architect can sign off on Part A (Structure). Especially if you follow prima facie compliance and shown in the technical guidance documents.

brisan wrote: »
    Well when I built extensions on my properties or knocked supporting walls I always got an architect to certify the work.
    Just made it easier when it came to sell
    I do not know if a structural engineer can certify foundations roofs etc but if they are able to and they are cheaper go with that

Typically an architect cannot sign off and should not sign off structural designs if there is design and calculations beyond the standard construction figures listed in TGD Part A. An engineer should be used for those elements.

Advertisement